Rising Darkness: Chapter 2 Something new

Rising Darkness: Chapter 2 Something new

A Chapter by Christopher Wells

A white void filled my vision. I felt light, lighter than normal. I had the feeling that this wasn't a normal dream. It felt like it was more of a connection, like a WiFi server with multiple devices linked to it. A girl's voice echoed in my head. 

"Tyler? Have I reached Tyler Hall?" 

For a moment, I felt something brush against my thoughts, like someone bumping up against you in a crowded hallway. My dream world shook for a second and then stabilized. 

"Yeah? Look, dream girl, can't I just sleep?" I asked. I felt strange. I knew full well I was asleep and was dreaming, but I didn't wake up. It felt like it was real.

"Right now you are in a mental hub. My name is Paige. I can't tell you everything, but when you wake up I will guide you to your destination. You must meet with these three people." 

Three images appeared before me. One was of a tall, abnormally pale teenager wearing a black hoodie. The hood was up, obscuring his face. His jeans were also black and torn at the knees. I couldn't see his surroundings,but it looked like he was leaning against something, like he was sleeping. The next image was of a boy the same age as me. He had a thin build and wore a red t-shirt and jeans that had spots of dirt on them, like he had been digging in a garden and didn't change his pants. His black hair was long  and braided back and a blue and grey backpack rested at his side. He seemed to be asleep like the other guy. The last image was of a short guy wearing a hoodie that had a mushroom with a green spotted cap on it. This guy was obviously asleep. His face rested on a computer keyboard, squashing the keys with it's weight. He had brown crew cut hair. 

"Paige, who are these guys?" I asked.

"They are the key. You have to find them. You-."  

The mental connection went fuzzy. The dream went hazy and out of focus. I felt an intense pain in my head, like I had the world's largest migraine.

"Oh no. Their trying to break the link!  Listen, I can guide you to the others but after that, you'll be on your own. I can't keep this connection for long. I have to wake you up now, alright?"  

My dream self nodded. I felt like a was falling off a insanely high cliff. The feeling intensified until I felt like I was on a roller coaster. Then the fear set in. The dream suddenly became a nightmare. I felt my pleasurable free fall turn into a death spiral. I screamed and tried to imagine something to stop my rapid decent but I couldn't think. Then I saw the wall. It seemed to go on with no end. And I was headed straight for it! The last thing I remember before hitting the wall was, "This is going to hurt." 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blinked my eyes. The pitter patter of rain made me forget where I was for a moment. I felt the leather seat beneath my hand. The bus! I sat bolt upright and looked around. The bus was moving, but the florescent lights were on in the corners of the walls. I gathered my things and moved to a empty window seat. Seattle's urban night life greeted me with neon lights and seedy bars. I fell back in the seat, heart pounding. How long was I asleep for?! I looked at my watch. 11:30. My aunt and uncle were going to kill me! I stumbled up to the center door and pushed the stop button. The bus stopped at a street corner and the doors hissed open. 

"Go a diner called The Golden Rooster. The others should be there." Paige mentally told me. I felt oddly calm, like this was normal. 

"Ok." I said aloud. 

A woman standing at the corner looked at me like I was crazy. I briefly entertained that thought. Maybe I was crazy, and the girl's voice in my head was nothing. I shook my head, trying to get my head together. I began walking down the sidewalk. 
"You can talk to me through your mind ok? I can see through your eyes." Paige said.

"That's better." I thought. 

"Yeah. Now people won't give you odd looks. Sorry about that time distortion thing. You have a strong mind, it was hard to give you strong enough shock to wake you up."  Paige said. 

"Who are you? And why are you choosing me?"  I asked.

"Ok, look, I need to tell you with the rest of the group, you're too spread out. I'm having enough trouble talking to you and guiding the others to the location. I'll explain everything when you get there, ok?"

"Ok." I said. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Paige gave me mental directions to the diner. Even with her help it took me at least an hour to find it. The cold rain didn't help much. A few times I had to duck under a few awnings to get out of it. When I finally made it to the diner it was 12:30 in the morning. Luckily it was open twenty four hours. The waitress looked up when I entered.

"What can I get you hon?" she asked, popping her gum. I smelled coffee.

"One cup please." I said. She nodded and went into the back. I looked around the small sitting area. Four booths sat next to the large windows facing the street. In the fourth one, in the corner sat a thin, teenager in a black hoodie. I nervously walked over to him. 

"You get the message?" he asked. His voice was deep but it had odd melody to it, like a base drum. He gestured to the seat in front of him. I nervously took a seat. 

"Yeah, I saw you in my vision. Paige sent you right?" I asked.
He nodded and drew back his hood. His skin was pale, almost grey. He had bags under his eyes, like he hadn't slept in a long time. His eyes were his most striking feature. They were a rich brown, like a chocolate bar.  He smiled and extended a hand.
"Alister."

"Tyler."

We shook hands. The waitress came over with my coffee and a cup of creamer and a bowl sugar. I handed her some money and she left us.

"So-" Alister said as I sipped my coffee,"you heard the girl's voice in your head right?"
I nodded. "Her name's Paige. She sounds like she's in trouble or something." I was about to say more when the diner door opened. Two guys around our age walked in. I recognized them from the vision. The thin guy with the red t shirt was laughing and talking with the short guy. They both saw us and went over to the booth.

"Hey! Tyler and Alister right?" the guy in the red shirt asked. "Name's Lance." 

He took a seat next to me and took off his backpack. The short guy quickly sat down next to Alister. He waved quickly and then looked down and began to fiddle with his phone. 

"He's Matt." Lance said. "We met on the bus ride over here."

"Good your all here!" Paige said in my head.

"Yeah, Thanks for the help! I don't think the map software on my phone would have helped us get here!"

"Who is this?" I asked.

"It's the guy sitting across from you."

I looked across the table and saw Matt glaring at me.

"Sorry man." I said. He ignored my apology and took out his smart phone again.

"Anyway, I assembled you guys for a reason." Paige said. "You each have specific skills that are unique to you. Alister, street smarts, Lance, survival skills, Matt, technology and Tyler, bravery. I need your help. I've been kidnapped by a secret group of  scientists called the Alchemists. I was able to reach you through a gap in their psychic security system, but they've been catching on to me. I think they're planning to-- ahhh!" 
Her mental scream was pure agony. Like a migraine and a stab to the brain with a knife. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block out the pain but I couldn't. I heard the shattering of my mug as Lance knocked it over on his way down to the floor, where he curled into the fetal position. Alister's head hit the table, his hands over his ears. Matt eyes were wide in agony, brimming with tears of pain. 

"Guys! Their coming for you! They were able to trace my telepathic connection! You have to leave the diner now! Go to the-"

The pain subsided. The connection was broken. I fell back into the seat breathing heavily. Lance got up from the floor. His shirt covered in warm coffee. Alister looked shaken. His forehead was beaded in sweat. Matt was the first on to speak.

"Guys, what do we do?" Matt asked.

"Well, she said to get out of here." I said. "Anyone know a place we can hide?"

I looked at Lance and Alister. They both shook their heads no. I looked at Matt. He shook his head.
"No way man! I don't even know you guys, I can't let you guys just crash at my place! Besides, what would I tell my dad?" 
I was about to speak, but the ringing of the front door's bell caught our attention. Two men wearing rainproof trench coats and fedoras entered the diner and took a seat at the front counter. One noticed us in the corner. He walked over to us.

"Any of you boys know the time?" he asked. I instantly felt wary of him. Something about him made me feel uneasy. He seemed like a nice enough guy. He was clean shaven and in his early thirties. He seemed like a guy that would break up a fight rather than start one. I was proven wrong when he pulled out a revolver and shot Alister. He looked down surprised at the bullet hole in his chest. Then he slumped forward on the table not moving.  Everything after that became a blur. I remember the waitress scream and try to run for the phone at the register. The other man vaulted over the counter and did a karate chop to the back of her neck. She slumped into unconsciousness in his arms. He gently put her down. 

"Tex, take care of the other three now!" he barked to the guy holding us a gun point. 

Tex grimaced. "Sorry boys, but this little shindig ends today." He pointed the gun at me but I acted fast. I grabbed the half empty pot of coffee on the table and threw it at his face. It shattered as it hit his face. He howled in pain as hot coffee scalded him. 

"Run!" I shouted. Matt leaped over the tabled and past our assailant. Lance followed him. I joined them in hot pursuit. They got  as far as the door. The man behind the counter whipped out dual pistols aimed and fired. Matt and Lance collapsed to the floor in heap. 

"Well now son, you've got good reflexes." Tex said. He held a crude bandage to the side of his face with one hand. In the other hand he held the revolver. My blood froze. This was it. This is how I was going to die. I imagined the headline in tomorrow's paper. "Three teenagers killed in a diner robbery."    

"Tex, just shoot him!" the other man snarled. 

"Jeez, Montana, the poor kid's scared." Tex said. He smiled sympathetically at me. 

"Sorry kid." his said. I heard the ring of the gunshot. I felt the impact of a small object hit me in the stomach. I felt dizzy, like someone had just sucker-punched me in the back of the neck. I collapsed on the floor. Montana's boots filled my vision. He bent down into my field of vision, his moustache inches from my face. 
"Nice fight kid. You've got more guts then I expected." he said. Then dark spots filled my vision and I blacked out. 


© 2013 Christopher Wells


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on February 6, 2013
Last Updated on February 6, 2013


Author

Christopher Wells
Christopher Wells

Flower Mound, TX



About
Hello. Name's Christopher Wells. Thanks for checking out my stories. I am 17 and started writing when I was 12. I mainly focus on the paranormal as subjects in stories, ghosts, werewolves, elves ect.. more..

Writing