Candlelit

Candlelit

A Story by Christopher Zayn
"

perfect night for a candlelight

"

The dim yellow hue illuminated the dark crypt that was Her room. Wax dribbled from the red rose candle wick placed on Her sleek birch vanity, the mirror above it smashed. The walls were white, all but the section across from the bed that were soaked in the red wine that She hurled like a baseball. And She, laid nude across her royal blue satin sheets writhed in drunkenness and loneliness thought on this night, a perfect night for candlelight. Another red wine bottle broken at the neck, bled out on Her vast royal blue ocean that was her sole comfort. She expressed grief, she constructed love, she gave and bestowed Her life.


Silence ceased in the tomb as the wick let out a sizzling snap and She looked out Her thin glass plated windows at the crescent moon in a restless gaze.  It had been seventy-two hours since---the phone began to  ring. It continued until She swept her feet over the brim of the bed, and planted Her soles on the green shaggy rug. Her amber hair swayed as She pushed Herself from the bed lazily and drunk, a silver revolver emerged from where her body had made an imprint on the royal blue sheets, one bullet beside it.


Her head hung over the phone reluctant to answer it. It went to voicemail. The red rose candle popped in the room, preceding the silence making it deadly silent once again. She could tell no difference, as the bullet she had placed next to the revolver was not the only one. A bullet had rained from her tangled hair hitting the green rug, swiftly but not carefully She whirled around to retrieve it and Her foot had dug itself into a shard of glass, the wine that was cascaded about the canvas walls. She leapt forward, in an instant her actions became faster than her thoughts and  She bounced off of the birch vanity head first, knocking the rose red candle onto the rug, unwittingly igniting it along with Her royal blue sheets that she wrapped along her nude body as She gripped for something before unconsciously hitting the floor.


The neighbors, alarmed by the smell of choking smoke called 911 and reported a house fire. They identified Her as Colleen Pollock. A 29 year-old single woman that was 'the sweetest woman', her neighbors said. "Always checking in on us, and making sure we're alright before herself. Truly self-sacrificing that poor woman was." Firefighters that emerged earlier on the scene to extinguish the flames declared it accidental, noting the red rose candle as the source, and a beautiful nude woman wrapped in royal blue sheets. "That poor woman has had it so hard lately. Heard she tried having a surrogate child but the child was stillborn. My best wishes to her family."   

© 2016 Christopher Zayn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
Added on March 4, 2016
Last Updated on March 4, 2016

Author

Christopher Zayn
Christopher Zayn

Fantasy Land, CA



About
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.” ― Albert Einstein, The World As I See .. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5