Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

A Story by Laylani Mullane
"

Written for a contest. This is my first time writting a story like this so any feedback is welcome.

"

 

The smell of garbage and sewage was thick in the air, making Angel's nose itch and she landed in the ankle deep water. Pressing the tip of her tongue to the pressure point above her front teeth to keep from sneezing she pulled her gun back out and adjusted the sword on her back. In her mind she couldn't help, but laugh. She was fifteen years old and while other girls her age were at the mall with friends, ogling boys and reading stupid preteen magazines she was in the sewers armed with night vision and 'Leech Killing' technology and was after a creature that they suspected was behind the string of killings that had taken place over the last week.
::How're you doin' Angel?:: A voice asked in her ear.
Bringing up a hand she pressed a button on the small earpiece, "Banged up, but not bad. How's Chris?"
::Same. But we've got him in trans to the grounds. You should turn back before,::
"Nicholi. I'll be fine. He's only supposed to be a single leech, right? I've been fightin' these things for awhile. Besides I know ya got a team comin' after me. No worries."
::Just be careful. There's gonna be complete darkness and a sharp drop.:: The man's voice was exasperated before disconnecting. Angel reached up to press a small button on one side of her glacier glasses and the faint green night vision became more brilliant, turning the black murkiness into an amazingly green day. 'Ah. Much better.' She moved carefully through the water, trying to make as little noise as possible despite the fact that her movements were somewhat jerky. Her body was stiffening from the fights she had just had to endure, but she knew that they were going to be nothing compared to what was coming up. Adrenaline was pumping through her veins, dissolving the pain. A movement off to her left made her freeze. Hitting another button on her glasses the images magnified to show only a rat. 'Son of a,' Taking a deep breath she returned the magnification to normal and turned her attention to the hole she saw a few feet a head of her. Directly across from where she stood was a ladder leading down. Slipping and securing her gun into its holster she positioned her body and with a powerful leap launched herself across the hole. She felt herself fall a few feet before she was able to reach out and grab the metal rungs. Her body jerked with the sudden stop, but she quickly righted herself and made her way down, turning her head to the darkness below so she could catch anything that may come up behind her.
The slick ladder seemed to go down and down forever. Angel soon felt her sense of balance begin to disappear the further down she went. The endless darkness seemed to spin around her, like a pitch black marry-go-round. It sent her stomach churning and she paused momentarily to clamp the feeling down. It was one thing that she hadn't yet been able to fully get over. Complete darkness like this, even with the night-vision, made her nervous and sometimes sick. It often brought up too many bad memories.
'Get a grip on yourself. Jesus Christ, you're a Hunter, for god's sakes. Suck it up!' She berated herself, forcing herself to continue down. Finally her feet hit the ground. Immediately she turned around and pulled her gun. Nothing seemed to of the ordinary, but her skin was crawling. Something was different…wrong. Shaking her head she walked steadily down the tunnel, keeping her eyes and ears open for anything.
It was the smell that hit her first. It was thick and seemed to overpower even the sewage. It was coppery and sickly sweet smelling. Looking around she saw a form a few feet ahead of her. Easing forward she pulled out her sword and turned the lump over, gasping softly when she saw that it was a human body, or what was left of one. The skin around the neck and chest was all, but shredded and congealed blood caked the pale flesh. Flies buzzed around the body, landing often in the wide open eyes and mouth. "S**t," She hissed, covering her nose at the stench as she resheathed her blade.
"What's the matter Hunter? Don't like my cozy little home?" The words slithered into her ear, making her skin crawl but she schooled her features and body to stay still. She felt more then saw something move to just in front of her, though staying encased in the shadows. All she could really make out was a form about a foot taller then her and obviously male. 
Taking a guess she spoke, "Letum."
"Correct in one guess. My, my aren't you a very smart little blood bag." Letum moved forward into the dim light that came from the weak lights hanging overhead. With slicked back dark hair and clothes that at one time may have been high end were now little more then dirty crusted rags hanging poorly off his lean, almost sickly frame Letum looked little more then a homeless beggar who hadn't seen a real meal in years, but she knew better. It was his eyes though that got the hunter, they didn't have an iris, not that she could see anyway, there was only stark white surrounding a dilated pupil. "Now you can't be very old, ten years? Eleven?"
"I'm older than that, leech." Angel snarled as she pulled her gun and fired, but the bullet hit the brick wall that was twenty feet away. "What the," She was stopped when she felt a vise grip tighten around her wrist and tighten, snapping the bones and making her drop her gun. She let out a cry as she tore herself away from the man and whirled around, pulling her sword. In front of her was nothing. White hot tendrils of pain were lancing their way up from her wrist, stabbing into her brain. Going against her training her eyes closed against the pain and it was that little mess up that cost her. She felt the air behind her cool before Letum wrapped one hand around her uninjured wrist and around her chest and pulled her head to the side at an awkward angle.
"Mmmm," Letum growled close to her ear as breathed in deep her scent. "So good…go…beautiful," He whispered. The words slithered over Angel's skin, making her feel dirty and violated. She struggled in his grasp, but he only tightened his grip, nearly breaking her other wrist. "Uh uh, I don't think so my lovely little blood bag. You're not getting away from me." She brought her leg back and kicked the man hard in the leg, her thick boots striking his knee.
She felt his hold on her loosen enough for her to tear herself away and whirled around, bringing her sword in a large arc across her body. She cut deep into his outstretched arm and sliced into his chest. A screech echoed through the tunnel as Angel turned and ran for the ladder. Sheathing her sword she tucked her broken arm close to her body and brought her other hand up to her ear.
"Nicholi! Get a team d-oof!" She felt something hard slam into her back and she fell to the ground. Her sword and goggles went flying off in one direction. A loud cry exploded from her throat as she landed on her broken wrist. She cried out again as Letum landed one her back, putting more pressure on the abused joint.
"There's a fire in your blood.  I'm sure it'll taste sweet," A thin, but strong hand tangled in her hair, jerking her head to the side. "But I don't think I'll drain you."
Ice filled Angel's spine as the implication of the words registered. She tried to move, tried to buck him off, but his thin arms were wrapped around her as tight as wires, cutting off movement.
"Don't. Just let me go."
"Oh I will, but first…" Angel felt her stomach churn as she felt a slimy tongue run up her neck while the rancid smell of rotting blood and flesh assaulted her nose, making her eyes water. "It gets quiet lonely, being King sometimes. Especially down here. I think it's time to remedy that. Don't you?"
"No. I'd make a bad queen."
"I think you would be perfect. Beautiful. Young. Virile. Full of fire." Each point was accentuated with a pressure on her lower back that made her fear grow exponentially. Primal fear was overriding her training and animal instincts were ruling. She struggled and flailed, unknowingly whetting her captor's appetite even more.
"Um…So strong. But unfortunately, not strong enough my dear," He breathed into her ear before bringing his lips to her throat. Angel let out a scream as long, thin, needle sharp teeth slipped into her pounding pulse. Her moves increased as he sucked at her neck, the vacuum on her skin creating a painful stinging sensation. Letum's arms tightened around her until she felt a sharp pain in her ribs. Angel stopped, pain taking over her, but the man continued to drink, draining from the brunette the vital blood until she was dizzy and her focus was fading.
Then the sucking sensation was gone along with the painful hand in her hair. Angel's head fell against the floor, her hot cheek cooling rapidly against the moist stone. "Now, time to drink, my dear." The words drifted into Angel's mind, but it didn't fully register, nothing really did. Not the weight easing up on her back, the sound of skin being sliced open, or the sudden, pungent smell of rancid blood that appeared. What she did feel was the weight on her back return and the hand in her hair pull her head back. "Drink." Her eyes barely made out the pale form of his arm with dark crimson blood dripping down onto the floor. Angel shook her head weakly, but it was no use. The arm was pressed to her lips. She tried to turn her head away, but the grip on her hair prevented her from moving far. "Drink." Blood slipped in between her lips, coating her tongue immediately with a sharp copper taste. "Drink." The power to clench her jaw shut seemed to escape her and her mouth fell open, letting the man's vile blood seep into her mouth. Her throat contracted, letting the liquid roll down her throat. "Yes. Oh yes, keep going, my beautiful little,"
"ANGEL!" She knew that voice…it wasn't Letum's.
A bright light illuminated the dark cavern. Angel heard Letum's scream, but it sounded as if it came through a tube. The weight and grip was gone and she collapsed to the ground, barely strong enough to muster a whimper as her injuries were jarred.
"ANGEL!" Wasn't that Samuel?
She tried to speak, tried to apologize, "So…sorr…" But the darkness took her.

© 2008 Laylani Mullane


Author's Note

Laylani Mullane
Again give me any feedback, should I add more description, take out something, change it around, whatever. Give me your honest opinions.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh I got my teeth stucked in this very quikly, I enjoyed it very much

Leran Vakem

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

PLease refer to my notes for suggestions....

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2008

Author

Laylani Mullane
Laylani Mullane

AZ



About
For me poetry is about emotion, and most of the time when I write I try not to edit too much, if at all, because I believe that it'll only dimish the emotion. For the last few years writing has helpe.. more..

Writing