Chapter 1 The Rose

Chapter 1 The Rose

A Chapter by Unicorn Princess

It was midnight on Valentine's Day and I was sitting on my bed with a box of chocolates, watching sad movies. What else is there to do when you're depressed? It's the most love-filled holiday of the year and all I have is my friends. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends, but they get old after a while. Yawning, I decided to go to bed. I did need some sleep before school. 

            A few hours later, I woke up and started getting ready. I would have just skipped school, but my perfect attendance record forbade me. Not feeling very motivated, I got dressed and brushed my (color) hair. Then I ate a quick breakfast and headed out to the bus. When I got on, my bus driver, Mrs. Jacklin, handed me a heart-shaped candy from a basket by her feet. It would probably be the only Valentine's sweet I would get today. 

            When I got to school, I slunk through the halls, trying to ignore the red and pink decorations that were hung around me. I also tried in vain to ignore the happy couples that lined the halls, laughing and hugging. Thankfully, I made it to my locker without being impaled by any love arrows. 

            Before I even had a chance to open my locker, Shay walked over. She had been my friend for seven years and was a bit taller than me. Her brown hair hung in loose waves to her shoulders and she looked at me with concern in her mismatched eyes. Because of a slight genetic mutation, Shay's right eye was cobalt blue and her left was lime green. Needless to say, she attracted some stares wherever she went. 

            "Hey," I said.

            "Wow, I'm actually surprised you're able to stand up right now. I woke up this morning and had texts from you at midnight. How are you not a zombie right now?" she asked, her voice holding friendly concern. 

            "Well, after you didn't respond to my fifth text, I gave up. I actually stayed up a while longer, and I would have skipped, but I haven't missed a day of school since fourth grade and I'm not going to start now. No matter how much I wanted to stay home..." 

            "Are you okay?" she asked suddenly, "I mean, I know Valentine's Day can get a single girl down, but you look worse than normal."

            "Thanks," I said, packing as much sarcasm as I could into one word.

            Glancing at the clock, Shay swore under her breath. "Hey, I've gotta get to ASC. Talk to you later?"

            "Sure," I said. She turned and started to walk away but, after a few steps, she turned around and smiled. 

            Tossing me something, she said, "If nothing else, I'll be your Valentine." With that, she turned on her heel and walked away. 

            Looking down, I saw that she had tossed me a peanut butter heart wrapped in pink foil. Knowing how much Shay loved peanut butter, I appreciated the sentiment behind the meager offering. I smiled; thinking of how long it must have took her to talk herself into giving up the small treat. 

            Opening my locker, I was about to grab my binder when something caught my eye. On the top shelf of my locker sat a single red rose in full bloom. Tied around its stem was a pink ribbon and attached to the ribbon was a note. Gently extracting the flower from my locker, I opened and read the card. 

            Chelsea,

            I think you are beautiful and the smartest girl I know. Will you be my Valentine?

                      -S.A.

            Rereading the note, my lips spread from a smile to a full out grin. Here I thought this holiday was stupid and I would be alone again, but it turns out that I have a secret admirer! I stared at the flower in my hand for a few more seconds before I carefully replaced it on the top shelf of my locker, slammed the door, and ran to class.

All morning I had a hard time constraining on anything but that rose and note. That I decided to leave in my locker until lunch so I could look at it closer and maybe get some help from my friends. I look at my teacher to make it look like I am paying attention when I hear a faint rriinngg and see everyone get up and head to the door. So I gather my thing and start to head to the door when Liberty walks up and says “So what do think you are doing for your biology project?” Liberty, or Libby for short, is 5” 3’ with short curly light brown hair with amber/gold eyes.

“Libby, I am sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about.” I said confused.

“Chelsea it is what Mrs. Richard was talking about. Wait you weren’t paying attention were you?” Libby said a little anger creeping in her to her voice.

“I am sorry but I had a rough night. So are we doing our usual, wait until about noon to get lunch?”

“Yes I am not waiting in that long line!”

“Let’s go to our lockers to put away our stuff.” I was happy we were off the topic of me not being able to think. On our way we saw Shan our friend who is over 6 foot with dark blond hair and blue eyes. As we pass I say to him “Hey Shan save me a seat please.” with a big smile. He just gave me a big smile, for a spit second I considered that he gave me the rose and not but then realized that he had said he had not feeling for me other than friend. Libby’s locker is before mine so she left my side to put her things away. I went to my locker only to find a huge bouquet of roses of all colors red, white, and yellow. There were 13 which mean a secret admirer.

I was so shocked all I could do is stand there and look at them. I turn around to see if anyone is watching but everyone in the freshman hallway was looking at me including Libby she was the first person to say anything and it had to be “Chelsea it looks like someone has a secret admirer!” she had the biggest grin on her face. All I could do is turn away, put my stuff away and I still had the roses in my hand when I turn around and shut my locker.

I started to walk down the hall to the cafeteria. Libby was at my side when we reached the door we walk to our table. I sat at my spot next to Shan a crossed from Shay and Meggie who is around 5” 10’. She has brown/blond hair with diamond eyes. They all look at my roses with shock and before anyone could say anything Zoe and her attachment, Hogan, walk up and sit down.

“What the hell are those?” Shay was the first one to say anything which was normal.

“I have no idea they just appeared in my locker and there is also a single red rose to with a note. And I have no idea who gave them to me; all that was on the note was S.A which I would have to say that it stands for secret admirer.” I say trying to make it seem less than it really is.

Everyone is staring at me when Alisa walked up and said “What the hell is going on?” No one said anything so I took that as I have to tell her, so I did. She looked at me with a strange look. Then looked away and started to eat her lunch so did everyone else. Shay started a conversation on food. I got up to get my lunch and to put my flowers in my locker.

I was surprised to see Libby and Zoe come with me, so I turn to say “Go in line. I .will be right back.”

“Are you sure, Chelsea?” asked Libby.

“I am very sure. I will be right back. Save me a spot.” I said and walked away.



© 2013 Unicorn Princess


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting! Please continue! I'm dying to know the flower sender is!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
1 Review
Added on April 16, 2013
Last Updated on September 16, 2013


Author

Unicorn Princess
Unicorn Princess

MI



About
I have all these stories and poems in side me and need to get them out to the world. more..

Writing