Chapter II

Chapter II

A Chapter by Cinderwing

Ella was sweeping the grounds looking for the pair of shoes that belonged to intruder, when her friend, Cayla, approached her with a letter clutched in her hand. “Ella!” She called out happily, waving her hands into the air, the letter flapping in the breeze.

“Hi, Cayla!” Ella said as she walked towards Cayla, then noticing the letter asked, “What's that?”

“It’s for you, Charlotte asked me to bring it to you.” Handing over the letter, Cayla looked giddy, her imagination running wild with possibilities of what was contained in that envelope. Ella flipped it over and stared at the seal on the letter. It was a deep red color with a Hawk circling the Latin letters praeteritus cōrycomachia inveterātiō. She knew it meant something, and seeing the words brought back harsh memories. The dark thoughts encircling her mind were abruptly interrupted by Cayla’s impatient mood. “Well go on! We are not getting any younger here!”

Ella glared at her and began to read out loud,

 

“Dearest Ella,

You are hereby invited to the masked ball held in Charlotte and Sir Henry's honor. This formal event will henceforth be taken place in three days; that is if you can find time after all the chores that must be done.

~Charlotte Labuff”

           

“No way! This doesn’t make any sense!”

“What doesn't make sense is why would the Labuffs want me at a ball? And as a guest?”

“I don’t know.” She stopped in thought. Then as if remembering she said, “But I met the newest suitor on my way over here.”

“Oh ya? What did you think of him?”

“He is quite odd.” She said as she pointed to him walking towards the barn in the distance.

“That’s for certain. When he first arrived, I was dressing Charlotte so I got to meet him. When we walked out to their carriage and during the entire brief conversation he just stared at me.”

 “Hm.” Cayla said biting her cheek in thought. “You have to go!”

“Oh no. Nope, no way.  The only way I would go is if Hell would freeze over, and we both know that is not happening any time soon.” A corner of her lip pulled up into a half smile and said, “It was nice being invited though.” But when she saw the expression on one of her only friend's face she dismissed Cayla’s idea. “I don’t think so! Don’t you go anyway near him, understand!”

“But what if he is ‘accidentally’ set on fire? And then one of us saves him!” She said plan formulating.” She put air quotes on the word accidentally.

“No!”

“But then he will trust us.”

“That is a fine idea, NOT! One of us could be exposed!” Cayla disappeared in a flash on the word ‘fine’ and Ella was left standing all alone. “Wayward witches.” she muttered clearly annoyed that none of her coven would listen to her.

With her suspicions arousing she one quicker scan of the grounds then started to send out the word that the meeting at her home was canceled. She slipped behind the nearest shed, and rubbed her hands together in concentration. Suddenly she opened them as wide, like butterfly wings before taking off, and the magic did just that. Green butterflies took off from her hand, manifested from her magic to spread her message.

When she was finished she pivoted on her foot and took a step around the shed, and smacked strait into something hard. “Ouch!” She yelled as she fell to the ground but was pulled into a pair of strong arms before she crashed into the ground.

“Are you ok?” A deep masculine voice asked as he tilted her head to look at her face. Her forest green eyes met his. They were several shades darker than hers, and they enchanted her, locking her gaze to his. He smirked “like what you see?”

Ella jumped back, breaking out of his hold sifting her eyes to the curious pink rock just at her feet. Funny she thought it is probably is the same color of my face right now. “Ha you’re funny, has any one ever told you that before?” She took a step back and glared defiantly at him.

“Yes,” He said with a smile, “many times.” Stepping closer towards Ella she retreated again until he back was against the wall of the shed.

In an attempt to elude the conversation, she responded. “You must be Henry, Charlotte’s new suitor”

His smile faded for a brief second but then returned just as quickly. “I see my reputation precedes me.”

“Indeed Sir. Henry”

His relief was clearly shown on his face although the cause was unclear to her. “Well you know who I am but I find it rather unfair that I don’t know you.”

Ella smiled politely and simply responded “There is nothing to know, I am only a plain servant girl.”

“Yet I doubt that’s true, how about your name?”

She side-stepped him to avoid being backed against the wall, for she had a coven meeting to plan for tonight and to seriously think about the ball. “I would really like to continue this conversation but I must be going, I have chores.” Her voice came out a little bitter as she turned to walk away.

“Hold on. You never told me your name.”

“Ella.” She tossed over her shoulder as she stalked away.

“Ella come to the ball please.” He said causing her to stop in her tracks.

“You sent the invitation.” She turned half way to look at him leaning against the wooden shed.

“Yes, I did.” He said with a smirk.

“Thanks, for catching me.” With that final word hanging in the air, she headed back to the forest.

          She walked out of there with strange feeling in her heart, and muttered, “He is getting to close for comfort." She walked slowly down the path to the pond and when she got to a part of the trail with a birch tree she stopped. Stretching out her hand she griped a branch hanging low to the ground. Pushing it forward she uncovered a small section of the trail, hidden in plain sight. Following the path she came to a very large tree.

She touched the coarse wood of the massive trunk with her green glowing hand. The branches weaved together to create and elevator, that Ella proceeded to step into. The trees slowly raised her up, high to the upper part of the tree until finally the rested at a door shaped incision in the wood. Ella pressed on it until it opened and she stepped into the large hallow part of the tree that she made.

            "I'm home!" she called out, waiting for a response.

            "Cinderella!" Cried a voice from within an Ella rolled her eyes.

            "Oh, come on out Finn!" she yelled, "I have news!"

            "Oo. What did Charlotte do now?'' said and owl who flew on down from his perch. He was a barn owl, so he had tan feathers with a large heart shaped face, large eyes, and impeccable hearing.

            "Finn! You will not believe what I got invited to!" She set down her apron on a wooden table and sat down in a wooden chair that looked as if branches weaved it in the living room. 

            Finn flew and landed on the arm of the chair, "You got invited to something?" He burst before cooing nonstop in laughter.

            "Hey! I get invited to stuff all the time!" But cut herself off when Finn gave her look of disbelief. “A mask! See." She pulled out her letter and showed Finn who opened his beak in dramatic shock. "Oh cut it out!"

            "Are you going?" He asked simply as if she had even considered it.

            "Of course not! Do you know what could happen in that sort of public! Boom! Hundred year old sized trees would shoot up out of the ballroom floor, and then I will be hanged. So no." She said with a sort of sadness to her voice, she loved parties but never could go to one because of her powers.

            "Maybe that was true five years ago, but your powers are under control now that you have founded the coven. Strength in numbers is what I always say."

"That may be true but I do not want to risk it. This is the end of the conversation, do not menchen it again Finn." 

"But..."

"Finn!"

"Alright!"

He gave in and flew up to the upmost level leaveing Ella to think alone.  



© 2016 Cinderwing


Author's Note

Cinderwing
Comment or message!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on May 13, 2015
Last Updated on January 21, 2016


Author

Cinderwing
Cinderwing

Plympton, MA



About
Hey! I love owls and writing and will often incorperate them into my writing. I am a horiable speller so just bare with me! more..

Writing
Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Cinderwing


Chapter III Chapter III

A Chapter by Cinderwing