Sometimes I Pull My Own Hair

Sometimes I Pull My Own Hair

A Story by Claire in VA
"

Very short essay that I wrote just for fun. These thoughts are bouncing around in my head.

"



    Sometimes I Pull My Own Hair

     A friend of mine told me the other day that her baby, who has just one tuft of fluffy hair on his head, started screaming bloody murder.  You know, the infant cry that means something is terribly wrong!  Come help me!  Emergency!  She ran to her baby, and she noticed that his tiny hand was wrapped around his hair.  He couldn't free his hand; instead, he kept jerking his hair which made him wail and cry.  She ran to him and carefully untangled the hair and unleashed his hand.  Immediately, the baby smiled a tremendous smile and even giggled. 

     I started thinking that oftentimes, I pull my own hair.  I cause myself to hurt or to stress out.  Why do I do this?  Is it just me, or are others in the same boat?

     One thing that I should know is that for my day to go well, I should get up on time.  Actually, I should get up about thirty minutes early.  If I do, I have time to start my day like I should.  What works for me is starting the day in prayer.  Then I get ready for work.  I always hate to leave my babies, my dogs, and I need time to play and talk with them.  Instead of learning a lesson, I hear the alarm, turn it off and go back to sleep.  I start dreaming that I'm up and getting ready.  Then a random noise wakes me up.  For example, the dog may bark, I may get a text, or someone knocks on the door.  I yank open my eyes, look at the clock, and I've got anywhere from ten to fifteen minutes to get ready.  The same thoughts rush through my head.  Shower and teeth are most important.  Shower and teeth are most important.  I take a five minute shower, brush my teeth, get dressed, and fly out the door.  This happens about nine work days out of ten.  I start the day feeling rushed, and I feel like I cannot catch my breath all day. 

     Something else that I know is what Grandma always told me, "If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas."  I should be careful whom I choose for friends or for more-than-friends so that I don't get hurt or heartbroken. I go against what I know is best for me.   I am drawn to people who have had a hard time in life and who have beat the odds....or not.  The "or not" ones are most-often the ones that I should not befriend.   I am a magnet for weirdos. I enjoy being around people who are not ordinary.  I enjoy hearing their stories and hanging around with them. Many times I end up getting tangled in relationships that bring me down or cause me extreme hurt feelings or heartbreak.  What I should be doing is making friends who are loving and uplifting.

     I can think of millions of things that I do that I shouldn't do.  I should know better.  I should know better than to stay up late reading.  Lack of sleep makes me grumpy and unable to do my best for my family and students.   I should know not to procrastinate on lesson plans and projects for school. Being unprepared is unacceptable!  It makes for a hectic day!   There are more things like eating too much, exercising too little, helping those who do no want help, slacking on reading the Bible as often as I should, and thinking worldly thoughts instead of fruits of the spirit.  These actions just make life harder for me. 

     My questions are, "why do I pull my own hair?!"  And, "if I didn't pull my own hair, would I enjoy life more or less?"



© 2014 Claire in VA


Author's Note

Claire in VA
Are any of you like this, or is it just me?
Do any of you have any ideas about the last two questions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

My best friend had this, Trichotillomania is a type of psychological condition that involves strong urges to pull hair.
she has held back from it for a few months now and her hair is luscious and beautiful now. she is much happy and no longer depressed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Claire in VA

9 Years Ago

Hi. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I intended this to be an illustration rather than pullin.. read more
I went through this for only a brief period and you get burned enough you learn not to touch what's too hot. I'm now drama free and wouldn't have it any other way and only spread my sunshine to those who appreciate or deserve it. I hope you an free yourself one day too. Good read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Claire in VA

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and commenting!!
Come back!
Shirlena

10 Years Ago

You're welcomed and will do :)
Sometimes we're all gluttons for punishment. Keep on praying Claire :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Claire in VA

10 Years Ago

Ain't that the truth?!
Glad you read and commented.
I stay up too late reading ALL the time. I do, however, get up early or I'd never be on time to get my daughter to school! Yet, I procrastinate on just about everything else I'm supposed to get done, this drives my husband totally insane. I've tried to change those habits and failed every time. Part of it is that I have about a 5 second short term memory, I walk across a room and forget where I was going or what I was doing. I need a notepad attached to my shirt, lol. I think we all have habits we'd love to change, those things are part of us, part of what makes us beautifully flawed humans. Nicely written and I think the hair pulling comparison is a great one.

I noticed one sentence that I think may be worded wrong, I think you just may have added an extra 'get' in there is all, "If you lie down with dogs, you get up with get fleas."

Posted 10 Years Ago


Claire in VA

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and reviewing. I do the same thing...the thing about walking across the room and.. read more
Victoria Kaer

10 Years Ago

You are quite welcome, seems no matter how many times I edit things I always miss something!
In order to change bad habits you have to find a key. I have this 'THING' about McDonald's. I don't know why, but I do. In order to keep myself out I remind myself everytime I see the Golden Arches that it is ''not an option'. I've been saying it so long it's automatic.

This key is whatever you believe will work. sometimes it's hard to find one, but when you do it takes about six weeks before it becomes habit. A good teacher to find is Morris Goodman dubbed "The Miracle Man" because he taught himself how to breath when he should not have been able to, and eventually to walk when he should've been paralyzed.

Morris has a tape out about goal setting http://www.themiracleman.org/horse.htm) . He talks about this a little, about changing behavior.

I, too, have always enjoyed people who were different. much more interesting than just the ones who fit in to everything. they make me nervous wondering what they are hiding. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Claire in VA

10 Years Ago

LOL I chuckled when I read "not an option." I'm sure it just pops in your head without your even tr.. read more
A wonderful write. Powerful to say the least...:)..............

Posted 10 Years Ago


Claire in VA

10 Years Ago

Thank you Sami.
~Claire :)
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)................
Excellent article, a true and powerful message attached too, cutting the ones who constantly pull you downward spiral is all for one's sanity, if you surrounded by your well wishers you reach same height in lesser time and more efficiently, you only pulled your own hair, what I did try to dig my own grave, realized soon, so I stopped, should have posted this way long, could have helped me, enjoyed

Posted 10 Years Ago


Claire in VA

10 Years Ago

Thank you Linda. I'm so happy that you read and reviewed. Stop by often!
Linda alexander

10 Years Ago

You welcome, my pleasure, I do not have that much colors, so when do not have colors I can not conce.. read more
You sound so very human here...welcome to the human condition my dear.
This is well written..well defined and quality work.
I would think you could write marketable articles and stories for magazines.
Nicely done Claire..!!
Scotty xo

Posted 10 Years Ago


Claire in VA

10 Years Ago

Thank you Scott;y!
That means a lot.
~Claire
Scott Metro

10 Years Ago

My pleasure Miss Claire...
Scotty...xo
Interesting read and you wrote very well, I totally enjoyed thanks for sharing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Claire in VA

10 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read and review!
~Claire
A. Amos

10 Years Ago

You're most welcome
Life is what you make it , did you remember my poem God gave me you and what I said? Are you doing that? Its not the hair pulling its seeing urself no1 can make u or break u! You have to break urself find ur own way , again no1 can do that but you. Now you talk all what needs but do you see yourself? I loved the write:) You should do this more only when you have time!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Claire in VA

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and for the comments. I know what I have to do; I just have to do it!!!!!
0000000000000000000000000000

10 Years Ago

Than do it Nike:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ur welcome and u know that:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

422 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 25, 2014
Last Updated on February 26, 2014
Tags: baby, lesson, broken heart, friends, life, random thoughts

Author

Claire in VA
Claire in VA

VA



About
I am here to read a lot and write a little. I love, love, love to read! I love English. I love poetry, history, and historical fiction. I teach fourth grade. I play piano at church. I love all.. more..

Writing
BAM! BAM!

A Poem by Claire in VA



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Xposure ~ Xposure ~

A Poem by Frieda P