To our Servicemen and Women

To our Servicemen and Women

A Poem by K.Butler
"

10 to 1 Free verse I guess

"

10 white volunteers, standing in line behind the desk, taking their turn to scribble their names on the paper, untouched by the casualties of the battlefield.

9 green rookies, loading onto the camo colored bus, heading to the training camp, laughter rolling from their lips, leaving behind the safety of their home in order to protect it.

8 brown officers, crawling along their stomach, orders screaming at them over the pouring rain, each drill becoming second nature.

7 yellow fighters, feeling sick to their stomach, hearing the battle ahead of them that seemed to rock the whole earth, silence stretching between each person, sending their own prayer to come home to their loved ones.

6 red soldiers, adrenalin rushing through their veins, the blood of their fallen comrades stained on their uniform, tears and grief unable to settle until the gunfire ceases to exist, at least for a little while.

5 blue troopers, straight backed with metals gleaming against their chest, trying to block out the screams of war etched into their mind, the pain of the loss of brothers-in-arms that didn’t return.

4 silver generals, returning to the battle grounds, stars gleaming on their front pocket, eyes scanning over their squadron, their orders rolling over almost as loud as the explosions above.

3 purple fighters, staring ahead as the president dropped the award around their neck, falling against their heart, wondering why their other comrades were fated to receive the Purple Heart while they laid in coffins.

2 grey veterans, retelling the enlistment to wide-eyed grandchildren, frail hands fumbling with a folded picture taken on the first day oversees, each person staring at the camera, only a day before the first fight, showing them the horrors of war.

1 black legionary, greeting death with a smile, the faces of men killed in war meeting him with open arms, images no longer haunting when sleeping.

© 2016 K.Butler


Author's Note

K.Butler
This is my first poem.
So let me know!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well done! And congratulations on your first poem... You put lot of efforts into this piece and I can tell you this is lovely tribute to all 10 of those servicemen who are fighting for us every single second but sadly they don't get respect and love they deserve from us... Very thought provoking and you have chosen a nice concept to write a poem....

Regards
Dhiman

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.Butler

8 Years Ago

Thanks for your review!



Reviews

Well done! And congratulations on your first poem... You put lot of efforts into this piece and I can tell you this is lovely tribute to all 10 of those servicemen who are fighting for us every single second but sadly they don't get respect and love they deserve from us... Very thought provoking and you have chosen a nice concept to write a poem....

Regards
Dhiman

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.Butler

8 Years Ago

Thanks for your review!
you are very gifted
your usage of color
giving the audience such a live scene
of those who gave up everything
to protect us

so honorable

Posted 8 Years Ago


K.Butler

8 Years Ago

Thanks! I wasn't sure about it since it was my first poem and I mostly write short stories.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 18, 2016
Last Updated on March 18, 2016
Tags: war, soldiers, 10 to 1

Author

K.Butler
K.Butler

Spring Valley, OH



About
I am in 10th grade with 2 horses, three siblings, goats and other animals. I play rugby and used to play soccer. I have been writing since 5th grade and can't seem to stop more..

Writing
Destroyed Destroyed

A Poem by K.Butler


Shoes Shoes

A Story by K.Butler