How I Got These Scars

How I Got These Scars

A Poem by JustCate
"

I watched "The Dark Knight" for only the second time recently. The title of this poem is inspired by Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker.

"

The wonderful thing about 

meeting your soulmate at a later age

Is the mystery of the decades of experience 

he inhabited without me 

as an observer.


His past is a black hole of my own design.

sporadically decorated with

facts as he tells them


Bright sparks of color and image 

that flavor my idea of who he was.


But I will never really know

his past.


The he of his past,

can only ever be to me

The he who I imagine.

--

Even if the rest of his forevers are mine to behold,

The infinity of his yesteryear 

Will never be

Can never be 

mine.

© 2023 JustCate


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed reading your poem. You have indicated correctly how the Joker character hides his scars of pain inside. "the he who I imagine" does give me the impression that some times we do not really know how the past did affect the person; all kinds of trauma and betrayal; realizing that the person who you love is a completely narcissitic.

Posted 2 Months Ago


This could be a sad poem yet also a logical one because all the telling in the world can't provide a lifetime's picture, portrait or book. Even the person in question can forget or misinterpret facts! .

So back to your words = very gently put. I think and feel you are just saying how it is for you, for you both. Of course it is impossible to know every second of someone's past. As said above, even the one in question or situation can't surely remember everything.

If you love someone you accept him or her as the person you know NOW. Assuming of course, that this person is as told, that your friendship has grown over time not overnight. In your case, dear lady you are too logical, too grounded for that. Your thoughts and feelings display superbly, thank you so much for sharing.

Posted 6 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 19, 2023
Last Updated on October 19, 2023