Valentine

Valentine

A Story by Kathrine
"

A girl deals with a broken heart on valentines day. Alone, she struggling to leave the past she has to face her memories to start to live again.

"

     A young girl sat at her desk, her head slightly tilted, her hand sliding back and forward against the lined white paper. She had been working on this note now for four hours straight. Never stopping, not even for a mere drink of water, or a bathroom break. It was almost as if she was scared that each word that was dancing around in her head would disappear at the slightest sign of stopping. Her arm was sore, her fingers were cramped but the drive was strong.

            It was Valentine’s Day, and she was indeed writing a love letter to her boyfriend. She had just turned nineteen a few months ago, and they had been together for almost a year. She was overly excited because this was the first time she had a boyfriend on Valentine’s Day. For those who do not understand, in her mind it was the most romantic day of the year; the day that was meant for lovers, romance, and love. She grasped on to him, to the hope of happiness, to the hopes of true love.

            Scribbling down the note, her mind wandered back to their first kiss. She had walked into his room, a bit shaken and worried because he had been severely ill for the past couple of weeks. It was relieving to see his smile, and he greeted her with a big hug, which as soon as they parted, their eyes met. Both of them leaned in and kissed, very gently, tenderly and chills ran down her back. 

            With a sigh of a relief, and for the first time she looked up at the clock. It was already five o'clock in the afternoon. "My, how long I've been writing," remarked Anya. "Oh dear me! I'm going to be late!" She gathered the letter, and placed it into the pink envelope, and sealed it with a kiss. Her heart was beating, but not for excitement but for the fear she would not be able to get out of the house.

            She ran down the stairs, letter behind her back.

            "Anya!" her mother calmly caught her daughter’s attention.

            "Yes, mother?" she gave her mother a weak smile as a greeting.

            "Where are you going in such a rush?"

            "Out to see a friend, mother."

            "Why don't you change your clothes?" her mother paused. Anya glanced down and saw she was in black pants, with a matching black long sleeve lace shirt, with a black long coat. "Into something more cheerful, perhaps? It is a rather happy holiday."

            "But mother I can't!"

            "Your friends will put up with this, but I think it has been long enough. Who are you going to see anyway?"

            "He won't care what I wear."

            "It's Jake, isn't it?"

            She lowered her head "yeah, him"

            "He would like you to dress...umm more cheerful." She sat her hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Think about it, Anya, please."

            As those words rung in her ear, she was already changing out of her dark shirt and into a pink, sweet, lovely shirt her mother bought her for Christmas. The next moment she is flying outside the door, with letter in hand, fighting through the couple of inches of snow. Snowflakes flickered in her golden curly hair, as the white scarf bounced behind her, she whistled their tune. The song drew her back into the past, where they had their first dance.

            The high school was crowded with all types of students, from the ones who got down and boogied on the dance floor, to the wall flowers, to the social geeks who were in the corner chatting about one scientific equation or another. It was a masquerade, and she was dressed as Cinderella, with a white sparkling ball gown, with silver trimmings and a diamond tiara. He was dressed as Robin Hood, dashing and daring, with a cape, mask, sword and all. He was tall, black long hair pulled back, with a dazzling smile, charmed shinned through every aspect of him. "Good day my fair lady, why is one as beautiful as you, not out and dancing?"

            She gently blushed. "I am waiting for my prince. But I do not see him."

            "Than you must stay by me," he was corny, but ever so romantic as he grabbed her hand and led her to the middle of the dance floor. He never took his eyes off her, and they danced. The hours seem to slip by, and then reality kicked in and it was time to go. Jake had never let go of her, she had felt like they were the only ones in the room, floating on a cloud, with music from angels surrounded them. It was a true fairy tale moment. One she had wished that had lasted longer.

            But reality came crashing down as her shoulder was violently shaken back. "Where are you going?"

            She didn't bother to turn around.

            "To see Jake again?"

            "Why do you care?" she kept walking, her speed fastened.

            "D****t, Anya, I am your friend! Your best friend! I haven't seen you for the past month! You spend all your time with Jake."

            "He needs me!" she shouted behind her.

            "No, he doesn't!" her friend, Lisa stopped behind her. Her eyes made shivers run down Anya's back, her eyes were piercing and fearful. "But we need you."

            "How can you say that to me?" She turned around.

            "It's over between you two." Lisa watched a tear fall from Anya's face.

            "A true friend wouldn't ..." her voice stuttered off, as her head turned away.

            "Wouldn't what? Tell you the truth?" Lisa shook her head, "the truth can hurt." She walked toward Anya to give her a hug, but her eyes caught the letter. "I'm sorry, that's pathetic. You wrote him a valentine? Dang, Anya. It's time to let go. It's been over a month."

            "I can't, its too hard! I loved him!" she caught herself. "I mean I love him!" Besides the emotional pain, she felt the physical rush over her body, making her tumbled over shaking.

            "You have to come to terms with it one day!"

            "Just, please not today." Anya continued to walk.

            "Fine, not today but tomorrow."

            The path towards Jake was just down a few blocks of snow covered side walk, with the dead trees and flowers killed by the frost, next to the chain gate. "I love him, I still do." she whispered to herself. She allowed her memory to go to the last good memory she had of him, which was when he first told her he loved her. After the dance, he took her out to the side of the building, a small balcony overlooking the town. The moon was high and full, and he grabbed her hand. "My dearest, my dearest darling. Thank you for the wonderful night." He looked away, and then back into her eyes, gently pressing his lips to hers, he leaned in and next to her ear whispered " I love you, with all my heart." When he looked back into her eyes, they were sad, and glistening. "it's official."

            "Oh Jake!" her eyes flung around his arms. "I love you too, and I will never leave you."

            "No, Anya. One day you need to leave me. It's because that one day..."

            Her feet came to stop at this big black gate that opened wide to a horizon of snow covered field with dead trees, and a bench in the middle of the grounds. But every few feet freshly laid flowers emerged from the snow with vibrant reds, yellows and pinks. Anya had been meeting up with Jake here, in the local cemetery for the past few months. She walked deep into the park, and stopped. There laid at her feet, were some dark roses, and a grave which read "Jake Caden March 14 1983- 28th December 2006 A Wonderful Son and Brother". She shed a tear, and lowered the letter. "You were right, Jake. There is a time where I have to leave you." She turned to leave, she could not bare to be there another moment, not for another day. She had spent the past months in black, alone and with him. When she reached the main gate, it had started to snow again, and a few flakes stuck to her face, and the wind started to push her hair in her face, and push the tears off her cheek. “I might have to leave you Jake, but that doesn't mean I have to stop loving you."

© 2012 Kathrine


Author's Note

Kathrine
Forgive me if there are grammar errors.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

the ending was so touching... beautiful storyline :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 12, 2012
Last Updated on May 12, 2012
Tags: romance, love, teenageyears

Author

Kathrine
Kathrine

CA



About
My name is Kathrine but my friends call me Kat. I have been writing since the day I learned to string letters together to form words. I dabble in different styles of writing, but I generally stick to .. more..

Writing