Youth

Youth

A Story by Cobblestone Traveler
"

~

"

Gabriel’s arrow flew through the air. It found its mark as it pierced though a patch of scales. The great beast reared and screeched with a hellish cry. Its tail whipped from side to side, threadlike strands of poison emitting from the massive barbed tip.

I cast a circle of protection around us as I yelled “Get behind something! Don’t let it touch you!”

For having just turned eighteen, my son was remarkably skilled at battling wyverns. I didn’t slay my first until twenty-five. Perhaps it has something to do with the younger generation inheriting a knack for skills that their parents had to learn to master. In any case, this particular fiend chose the wrong village to terrorize.

I jumped down into a dry trench and Gabriel dashed behind a crumbling pillar jutting out of the ground. He leaned his back against it gripping his oaken bow. His eyes were alive with vigor. He reached behind to his quiver, wrapped his hand around an arrow, and brought it to his bowstring. He slipped his other hand into his pocket and pulled out a small vile of pale-blue liquid. Dousing the concoction on the stone arrowhead, it began to softly glow with an icy gleam, plumes of fog radiating from the tip. He held still for a few brief moments before he darted to the side out from cover. He faced the beast once again and fired off his arrow. It shattered like an icicle between the wyvern’s eyes and it shook its head furiously as a sheet of ice spread in splotches down the scaly snout.


I didn’t even have to remind him to use his vials. Pride swelled in my chest as I rose out to assist my son.

Pain replaced pride as a fireball struck my breastplate, knocking me back into the trench. As I hit the ground a forced cry emitted from my throat. Unable to move for a moment, my next move raced in my head. Once I shook off the stun, I flung my bag from behind my back and peered into it.

Only a bushel of figroot and three health potions remained. Why didn’t I stock up on fire resistance elixirs? With my natural weakness to fire and the knowledge of a wyvern migration, I should have known better. Who was the wiser one here? There was no one to blame but myself, and I hoped that my oversight did not cost us the fight.

I saw life draining and the sky turning red around me. Am I equipped to handle this?

Suddenly a breaking of glass a couple of yards from me snapped me back to the world, and a golden light floated from the shards and became sucked into my chest. The sky slowly returned to blue and I felt life return. Gabriel stood overhead at the edge of the trench, his back towards me but his face turned so I could hear him. “Don’t die, Mom!” he shouted. I thought I heard a smirk in his voice.

I got to my feet and hastily climbed up to meet level ground with the creature. I took a deep breath and called out “SELAS IMPAEA GLACIE!” I heard my heartbeat in my ears as I felt chills run through my blood. My fingertips started to tingle. I lifted my palms and before long, a frosted sphere hovered over them both.

I planted my feet and screamed at out the beast. A whirlwind circled me as I pushed my palms forward and propelled the spheres at its chest. They both hit it with a thick crash.

Gabriel had unsheathed his daggers and jumped at the wyvern from behind. The creature lost balance and it fell to its side, flailing powerlessly. With what felt like my last drops of magic, I summoned a sword of white energy and gave the beast one final slash. The village was safe once again.

Music began to play through the air. Gabriel wiped the dust off of his trousers. I wiped my sweat from my brow. Then everything turned black.

“Now that you’re at a good point, come have dinner,” I heard from behind me.

“Sure, I’m just going to save.” I answered. “Gabriel, go wash your hands. We can try the crested water wyvern after dinner. I’ll need to stock up on potions at camp first.”


Gabriel put his controller down and headed to the bathroom.


We sat at the dinner table and dug into the casserole that my husband had made.

“So how did it go?” he asked.

“Great,” I answered.  “He just reached level 18 and is already battling wyverns. “

“And you thought it’d be too hard for him. I’m telling you, kids nowadays are born with these skills.”

“I know, I should be used to it by now. Maybe one of these days, he’ll have an eight year old trumping him at a game.”

 

 

 

© 2018 Cobblestone Traveler


Author's Note

Cobblestone Traveler
Photo by Lorency on Deviant Art:
https://www.deviantart.com/lorency/

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Epic tale inside this movie like score. Interesting mythologic touch added to the mix.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cobblestone Traveler

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kind review.
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

your very talented. keep sharing.
A wonderful story shared in the story. I wanted to read and know more. You know I love myth and tale. I liked the use of language and the lessons being learn. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing tale.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cobblestone Traveler

5 Years Ago

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words. I had fun diving into the mythological realm.
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Myth and tale is cool and you are welcome my friend.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 29, 2018
Last Updated on October 29, 2018