The Green Light

The Green Light

A Story by Judas Hammer
"

Saved by his girlfriend whom I don't even know

"

Long Beach Transit Journals

 

The Green Light

 

Written on the 91 bus on the way to church in Bellflower: Via Cell phone

 

I stood outside the bar. My favorite one on the corner of Redondo and Broadway outside the Gayborhood. It had a large picture window facing the street. The front door opened up in the sidewalk and the counter was only feet from the concrete.

I was talking to my friend Boston, a short stout man from Dorchester minus the hard Southie demeanor. We were talking the usual bar banter that ranged from football to which part of the East owned the beasts. I swayed back and forth waterlogged from the cheap beers I ingested from the Crawl, which started at the outer regions of the Corridor. I had a natural megaphone for a mouth and always drew a lot of attention. Some bad. Some good.

Boston dismissed me and transferred his attention to a petite barfly resting on the bench outside. Toward the curb I noticed a slender, handsome Mexican man of thirty staring at me a as though I was a picture he had seen before

 

Written on the 103 on my way to downtown Long Beach: Via Cell phone

 

 He had a cocky smile with his arm hanging loosely to the side. The man walked over and asked,” Do you remember me?"

I thought for a second, still under the influence of the many brews swallowed.

"No " I laughed, I don’t know who you are.

He giggled to himself like he knew an inside joke that was being kept to himself.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Naw man!"

I said puffing up into a defensive posture: like a muscular blowfish and stood before him, arm back chest out and chin down. He was about five feet away but showed no fear only steel mocha eyes fixed on my own.

The metro style man turned to Boston who I noticed was standing to the side watching closely.

“Does he know who I am?” The man deferred to my chubby New Englander.

Boston turned his back and walked into the bar.

I had him by five inches and a good fifty pounds but suddenly I found us somehow equal. Fear was out of the question and the Jamison killed concern. He strolled over slowly and took my hand, whispering in my ear, "I'm supposed to take you out"

I was caught in a sudden silence as though we were standing in a vacuum slow dancing.

He was close enough to breathe my air. So intimate we stood and people probably thought we were kissing. That was normal for that part of the city anyway. I moved in and replied nonchalantly,

"Do it. Do what you have to do."

My depressive spirit stood up and applauded. It was a gift. My insides exhaled easily. Finally relieved. Peace might come at the hands of this slender gentleman who looked more sword fighter than assassin. A huge white tooth smile exploded from his gums

"No my girlfriend says you’re cool."

What? Don't let this moment escape us!

I grabbed his shoulder gently.

"Listen man. Do what you have to do."

The angel of death smiled again leaning in," Naw I like you. Not tonight."

 

Written in Green House café, Downtown Long Beach: Via Macbook Pro 07

 

I was slightly sad. I never wanted to stop him from his mission. I knew every man had a job to do. I returned inside the bar, closed my tab and collected my Yeti looking female friend who was two weeks from San Francisco. She was playing pool flirting with the beta males off to the back corner. From a distance she appear almost as a man but we came together and had to leave together.

I didn’t see the well dressed killer and wondered where he disappeared too. I had forgotten all about him as I admonished my hour old friend and brand new enemy about her behavior in my favorite waterhole. She stormed off in one direction and I walked off into the cold, damp beachside night. After a few blocks with my boot clicking on the cement, I thought to myself, ‘I wonder who his girl is? Because tonight. I think she saved my life but just for tonight.’

 

© 2014 Judas Hammer


Author's Note

Judas Hammer
Comments please. Even if you just read it thank you....

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Its like running into your shadow ... who seems to know all about everything and himself ... and we are just beginning to relate to the world around us. Makes for an interesting conversation between the two ... we with the schoolyard vernacular and he with the trail of corpses he did away with ... because they wouldn't dance with him. Kiss the prince goodnight Judas.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Judas Hammer

9 Years Ago

masterful review. Beautiful words....



Reviews

its been over a year since I read you and yet, if there had been no author name on this piece I might have guess the writer by the tones and voice in the work. You've always been able to bring the reader right in - your writing is smart, there is some sass at times, some sarcasm but it never detracts from the story - the real little vignettes you create - well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Judas Hammer

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much
This is a great read too, thank you for sharing your talent

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Judas Hammer

8 Years Ago

thank you so much....your words pick me up during dark time
Dark Empress

8 Years Ago

I do enjoy reading your work and we all have those times where others help put a smile on our face o.. read more
You spin a beautiful web, my friend, and I think I've found myself caught in it like a fly. I must read more.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Judas Hammer

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much!!!!!!
"as though as though"?

"many beer swallowed" - beer or beers?

” Do you know remember me?" know?

I liked the thought-flow of the story but was put off by the what seemed to be attempts to make it more ...creatively unique. I always liked the old-type Crime and detective novella styles. The bad-good guy genre`.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Judas Hammer

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the editing and the read and the comments. They were helpful as always.
Chris

9 Years Ago

You HAVE the talent - just don't overthink (really) the method.
Its like running into your shadow ... who seems to know all about everything and himself ... and we are just beginning to relate to the world around us. Makes for an interesting conversation between the two ... we with the schoolyard vernacular and he with the trail of corpses he did away with ... because they wouldn't dance with him. Kiss the prince goodnight Judas.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Judas Hammer

9 Years Ago

masterful review. Beautiful words....
Always a good story. Death and a mystery woman. I believe I met death in Texas once. Told me to quit drinking and quit being a a*s. Death was a female to me. I liked the story. I do believe we get warnings and help. Angels and demons on walking with us. Thank you my friend for sharing the story. I hope you had a good Christmas and a safe and fun New Year. I hope you great success in the coming year.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Judas Hammer

9 Years Ago

You as well my friend. I would like to read your texas story. I always enjoy your tales. Thanks for .. read more
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

It here on the site. I believe it is called "Dance with death". Always a pleasure to read your work.
that was very well fine work , and can i just mention the title, "Green light", thats a statment that was mentioned in "The Great Gatsby" book, and that juts means the end, like staring at the green light is loooking at ur destiney and here it was portrayed well since you showed that your life was saved, even for just one night.. one time, that still makes sense to me... that was wel done :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Judas Hammer

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the read and positive review. The analogy is awesome...
stars are far

9 Years Ago

always my pleasure
The touch of humanity with him honoring the woman's wishes, was a nice touch.
There were a lot of unanswered questions. I didnt get enough of the character's
personality to determine if he somehow deserved the hit taken out on him or not.
I didnt know what the killer's personality was, but I sometimes enjoy being just tossed
into the middle of a scene as it develops. You did it correct. The narrative of being in
the moment was strong enough to carry it. I loved the mysterious nature of it all.
I'm glad it wasnt completely spelled out. Nice Work!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Judas Hammer

9 Years Ago

Thank you Manifesto.....
"Finally relieved. Peace might come at the hands of this slender gentleman who looked more sword fighter than assassin. A huge white tooth smile exploded from his gums
"No my girlfriend says you’re cool."
An enjoyable read, sir...Bravo and thank you for sharing...:).............................

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Judas Hammer

9 Years Ago

Thank You Sami.
This was good. I liked how it was written like journal entries. Thanks for sharing this!

-CW

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Judas Hammer

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the read-

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

742 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 23, 2014
Last Updated on December 30, 2014

Author

Judas Hammer
Judas Hammer

The City of Angeles, CA



About
I like to write, live in La and write and make short films. and more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Line The Line

A Story by Judas Hammer