Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by CodeBlue

Alexandria didn't stop running until she got back safely to her apartment. Her long, tangled, dark red hair stuck to her face as she leaned on the entrance to her apartment, gulping down air. She was soaked to the bone, out of breath, and dizzy. She stumbled her way into the apartment and found her way to the bathroom before throwing up in the toilet. When she was finally sure her stomach was empty, Alex drew herself a hot bath to try and wash away the icy chill that had taken hold over her body. The water turned her pale skin pink and turned her fingers into prunes before she got out. Alex threw herself on the couch and closed her eyes, trying to grasp what had just happened.

"Cute jammies," a voice said from the darkness. Alex jumped up and turned on the light to see a man leaning on her bedroom doorway. His dark curls were the color of tree bark and his mossy eyes were like looking into a forest. It was the guy who had saved her from the thugs. He was wearing a tan leather jacket over a cool grey vest and a white dress shirt with a matching cool grey tie.

Well, he did say he would catch up with me... she thought to herself.

"How did you find me?" she questioned him. There was no way he fought off Leon with enough time to follow her all the way to her house. How long was he standing there? She pondered.

"I could sense you," he said waving off her question.

"What do you mean you could sense me?" Alex inquired. The man tilted his head in confusion.

"You don't know what I am? I just assumed since you worked at the Lake's Edge that you knew..." he trailed off.

"Knew what? What are you talking about and what is going on!?" she demanded with her arms folded. The man sighed, ran his hand down his face and rubbed his stubbled chin. Before he could say anything though, Alex threw her hand in his face.

"How is this even possible? I cut my hand earlier and he... that guy did something and it's like... like it never happened," she said taking her hand back to look at it. "Is he, like magic or something?" The man took a second to consider this before responding.

"Sort of... it's hard to explain and it's not really important. I need to know what they wanted with you; did they say anything that stood out to you?"

Alex took a second to think before she answered. "Yeah, he said I have 'main branch blood.' What does that even mean?"

"Just that they think you are what they have been looking for," he said with another tired sigh.

"And what are they looking for exactly?" she asked irritated.

"Look, Alexandria was it? I don't have time to answer all your little questions," he said waving her off as if she was a pest. "I need to catch these guys as soon as possible. Besides; it's illegal to tell you anything about the current investigation," he said, pulling out a badge. "However, if you do what I say and aid me in catching them, it will get done faster, and then I will legally be able to answer any questions you may have," he finished, handing her the badge to inspect.

"It's just Alex, thank you," she said before reading the ID badge. "Grant Jones, Private Investigator," she read out loud. "So what do you need my help with?"

"Well, they were after you once right? And you got away, so they will be after you again. If you go back to work tomorrow like everything is normal they will be sure to follow and probably try to get you alone-"

"Your big plan is to use me as bait?" she yelled in a panic, cutting him off.

"Just give me a second to explain," he said, irritated. "Ok, as I was saying, they will probably try to get you alone in the alley next to the Lake's Edge, because that's the only place they know where they can find you. Most likely they will ask you to meet them outside the alley to talk, but I will be stationed in the alley to make sure they don't get the jump on you." Alex nodded with a worried look as he explained.

"When you go to meet them they will assume you will go out the back door because that's the employee's exit, but I want you to go out the front and walk down the alley towards them. When they are all facing you and all their attention is on you, I will jump in from behind and arrest them." He finished. Alex sat in silence for a while.

"What if they don't come in and ask me?" she asked.

"Then you send me a message, you still leave out the front, and I will take you straight home," he answered.

"This is crazy," Alex said standing up. "And dangerous, what if I get hurt? And why are you arresting them by yourself in the first place? Why do I have to risk my life to help you?" she demanded. Grant sighed.

"The mission is a one-man operation; we can only afford to spare so much manpower. If you help me, I will legally be able to answer all your questions. Besides, if you don't go tomorrow, the thugs will use the owner of the bar to hunt you down. Then I wouldn't be there to protect you."

Alex let everything sink in before replying. Not only would she be putting herself in danger, but she would be putting Keith in danger, too. He has done nothing but help her with Julius's death, with her job, and this apartment.

"Wait, who exactly did you say you work for? It doesn't sound like the police force or anything."

"Your right, it's a privet police force. It's called the Guardians, and we have our own set of rules. They're really strict, and they don't stand for failures. It's my fault those guys got away, so I need to make up for my mistake by capturing them on my own," He explained.

"So then this is your fault" Alex lightly teased, trying to lighten the mood.

"Oh shut up," Grant said rolling his eyes. "Ok yes, it's technically my fault but to be fair, Leon did give you the chance to walk away," he teased back.

"Well, I wasn't going to just let them rob that poor kid... or you know, do whatever they were going to do."

"I could have taken care of it," Grant boasted.

"How was I supposed to know you were there?" Alex asked, waving her hands on either side of her.

"Also, before I forget," Grant said taking out a small tin box that looked like a mint container. He opened it and inside was, what looked like little white mints. "I know this is a big leap of faith but I need you to take one of these pills before you go to bed tonight. It's sort of... a backup plan."

"What does it do?" she asked, eyeing the mint looking pill.

"Let's just say if you take it then they will think you aren't what they were looking for", he replied as vaguely as possible, handing her the tin box. Alex sighed as she took it from him. She wanted to ask if that meant she was what the thugs were looking for, but she was tired of getting answers that lead nowhere.

"How did you know my name?" she asked out of curiosity. She hadn't said her name and she wasn't wearing a nametag or anything, so how did he know? Grant took an envelope with her name on it out of his pocket.

"Because I checked your mail for you. Your phone bill is waaaaay overdue by the way," he said with a smirk.

"Give me that!" she yelled as she snatched it out of his hands. "Ok, just one more question."

"Oh? What's that?"

"Why should I trust you?"

"Because I'm the only way you're getting straight answers," he said holding out his hand. "What do you say, partners?" She took his hand and shook it in agreement.

"Fine," she said. On the way out the front door, Grant stopped and turned around.

"Before I go; a parting gift," he said, handing Alex her cell phone.

"When did you..." Alex said in surprise.

"I programmed my number into your SIM card and I have your number as well. This way we can communicate during the mission. Oh, and Alex?"

"Yeah?" she answered.

"Lock your doors tonight," he said before shutting the door behind him.

After locking her doors and windows, and taking that pill that Grant advised her to take, Alex jumped straight into bed and buried herself in blankets and pillows. The night's occurrence played over and over in her head. She tried her best to piece together the bizarre stuff that had happened that night, but none of the puzzle pieces were fitting together. The three thugs, her cut, Grant; none of it made any sense. All she knew was that if she didn't do what Grant said then Keith could get hurt, and that's the last thing she wanted. Slowly, Alexandria drifted into sleep.



© 2018 CodeBlue


Author's Note

CodeBlue
Hello~ My name is Camille Rowe! I'm just spreading my writing to get as much feedback as I can (if any). I have 6 chapters of this book ready and I will be posting them all at once, but after that, I will only be posting once or twice a month.Thanks for taking the time to read my story! Feel free to leave some feedback or just say hello in the comment section below~
Thanks again and see you next chapter!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on April 23, 2018
Last Updated on April 23, 2018


Author

CodeBlue
CodeBlue

OwlCity



About
I don't really have a genre, because i like to write a lot of different genre. However I tend to write more on the romance side. As for my audience its anyone teen and up. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by CodeBlue


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by CodeBlue


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by CodeBlue