Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
"The Fog On The Windshield"

"The Fog On The Windshield"

A Story by Cody Williams
"

"The Fog on the Windshield" is a short story written by Cody Williams.

"

The Fog On The Windshield”

By Cody Williams

            Tammy Emmett opened her eyes and looked over at the alarm clock that read 5:45. She sat up in bed with panic and grabbed the clock.

            “S**t! I got to go! I am going to be late.” She said to her husband Red, who was lying in the bed next to her. She had to be at work by 6:00. Tammy was a middle-aged woman with an average body type. She had short curly black hair and was leathery tan. She stood up from the bed and walked over the dresser on the other side of the bedroom. She pulled open the top drawer of the dresser and pulled out her typical silky white granny panties and put them on. She then took off her red nightshirt and threw it onto the floor.

            Then she opened up the bottom drawer of the dresser and reached into it pulling out a white turtleneck. She put it on and walked over to the bedside next to her husband. She kissed him on the cheek and hugged waking him up.

            “Drive safely and have a good day honey!” Red said as he hugged her then rolled back over to drift off to sleep. Red has about six feet and five inches tall and was quite muscular. He had a shaved and bigger than average sized ears. She stood up from the bed and walked over to the bedroom door and walked out it. She walked down the dark hallway to the staircase leading to the kitchen.

She walked down the stairs, into the kitchen, and over the cabinet drawers next to the refrigerator. She opened it and gabbed a Quaker Oat Meal To Go and walked over to the door leading to the garage. She walked in the garage and over to her blue colored Chevrolet Blazer SUV and put the key in the keyhole and unlocked the door. She opened the door and got into the SUV.

She reached over to buckle the seat belt and she started the SUV. She opened the garage door and backed out of the garage. She backed out of the driveway and put the SUV into drive. She began to drive down the road when she noticed that a strange fog covered the entire windshield. It was as if someone else was in the car before she got in. She reached over to the dash and turned on the defroster and waited for the fog to fade off of the windshield.

“What the hell? How could the windshield be fogged up? I am the only one in the car! Aren’t I?” She asked herself. She could hear something rattling and moving in the car. It sounded like two rats fighting for food. She pulled the SUV off of the road onto the emergency lane and put it in park.

She paused for a moment before slowly turning her head to the back seat of the SUV. She looked in the seat and in the floorboard only to find nothing. Her heart began to beat faster and faster.

“If there is someone in the car, they must be in the back.” She thought to herself. She opened the door and walked to the rear of the SUV. She placed her hand on the handle of the trunk door and waited for a moment. She took in a deep breath. She felt as if her heart was going to explode out of her chest. Her hands began to sweat nervously. She opened the rear door and leaped back knowing that there was going to be someone backs there. Nothing.

She whipped sweat off of her fore head in relief. She took in another deep breath and slammed shut the rear door. She began walking back to the front of the SUV and opened the front door. She got in the front seat and closed to door. She noticed once more that fog covered the windshield. She couldn’t understand why if there was nobody else in the car.

She looked into the rear view mirror revealing a navy blue blanket laying in the back seat. There was something strange with it. She noticed that peaking out of the bottom of the blanket were two cat eyes staring back at her. She felt her heart beat hard once again as she turned and reached to the back seat and grabbed the blanket. He screams of terror could be heard throughout the darkness that is night.

 

Copyright 2013 by Cody Williams

Courtesy of TRUE TERROR PUBLICATIONS

A division of TTP Entertainment

Image by FlamingText.com

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 
MCHC-BVS6-UCBM-LBK2

http://www.copyrighted.com/copyrights/view/qqru-rp27-tlyd-1ywx"> border="0" alt="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected
QQRU-RP27-TLYD-1YWX" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected
QQRU-RP27-TLYD-1YWX" width="150" height="40" src="
http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2013 Cody Williams


Author's Note

Cody Williams
This is another one that I found that I wrote a while back. This one is for those of you who said you like my horror stories better. And yes, I realize that it is short. I wrote this one around the same time as "The Text Message." Please leave me comments and reviews!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This one is pretty rough with spelling and grammar but again, you've done well to take the mundane(waking up for work) work in creating a setting for a strange and unusual tale. Another piece that with a bit of clean up could wind up being a great short story if you wanted.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This one is pretty rough with spelling and grammar but again, you've done well to take the mundane(waking up for work) work in creating a setting for a strange and unusual tale. Another piece that with a bit of clean up could wind up being a great short story if you wanted.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this story and the concept of it. I thought that there was a lot more character description which is great. I did feel that there was a little too much description as far as actions are concerned. But all in all, a great story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the review!

-CW
Oh my gosh why didn't you continue the story? I really like the ending and I wish I knew what it was that had attacked her! Other than that I wouldn't have used the choppy sentences the whole story but as usual you've got me sucked in :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the review!

-CW
⊰ℛℛ⊱
I'm not sure a cat (or tiger) could steam up an entire window. Most fog from windows (being a little scientific now), is actually caused from the temperature variation between the outside and inside of the pane.

Now, if the tiger had turned on the defroster before she got in, that would be a curious event. Other than that, it would take a lot to fog up the whole window just with your breath alone.

Might be more interesting if the creature pounced into her while she was still driving and skidded off the edge of the road and then you can get graphic with what's going through her mind before the fatal collision below. Just a thought ...


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

dw817

10 Years Ago

Hmm ! No stealing the Halloween Mask story from Season Of The Witch tho. I'll be looking for that if.. read more
Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

I look to have it up within the first week or two of October. It'll be like some of my other stories.. read more
dw817

10 Years Ago

Looking forward to 'em !
I like it. Just like your other work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks!

-CW
As short as it is... you have a tendency to overdescribe here. We don't really need to know the details of Tammy's morning routine, unless they directly relate to the plot. (like maybe a demon was hiding in her panties drawer or something)

Today's reading audience has a very short attention span. We are INUNDATED with information from everywhere... radios, TVs, phones, computers, ads, billboards, text messages.... it goes on and on... there is always something else the reader could be (or maybe even should be) doing so your time with them is precious. Be miserly with your words, make each one count as you develop your story.

I must confess I have been trying to read you Cody, but I rarely read a story. I just don't put that much time into as I get 20 or so RR's a day and can't devote all my spare time to reading...

Read some flash fiction, I'd suggest Daily Science Fiction http://dailysciencefiction.com/ They send out a story a day to your email box for free.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read it Mark! I realize that this in NOWHERE near my best work. I woul.. read more
Wow so good!!! Another amazing write! :D great job as always my friend

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for the review!

-CW
another interesting short story CW, though it ended too soon, but it was good.

best wishes

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read it!

-CW
Prritiy

10 Years Ago

you are welcome :)
and this is why I don't like cats. they're creepy! Nicely penned

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for the review!

-CW
This was a very good story, i really like the imageries in there, please keep it up.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to read it!

-CW
ayosonolowo

10 Years Ago

You're welcom

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1047 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on September 1, 2013
Last Updated on November 21, 2013
Tags: horror, gothic, stalker, Cody Williams

Author

Cody Williams
Cody Williams

Elizabethton, TN



About
I am in my second year at Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tennessee were I major in instrumental music education and minor in English. My passions include playing the trombone/euphonium an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..