8/9/2026 - Hellfire and Shrugs

8/9/2026 - Hellfire and Shrugs

A Chapter by ComradeRG95
"

The atomic war begins

"

8/9/2026: Hellfire and Shrugs

August 9th 2026 saw the first usage of nuclear weapons in warfare since the atomic bombing of Nagasaki on August 9th 1945, exactly eighty-one years prior. The first missiles were launched at 5:22pm Arabian Standard Time. By 6:22, nearly fifty atomic bombs had been detonated between Iran and Saudi Arabia alike. In one hour, gone were ancient cities that lasted two millennia of history. Mecca, Tehran, Medina, Isfahan, Riyadh, Shiraz - all gone in an instant. The human toll was even worse. Those unfortunate enough to survive the immediate blasts were left to starve in radiated areas. Some wanted to die. Others waited for help. Wealthy oil states along the Persian Gulf, integral in pushing for war now refused to even acknowledge the catastrophe laid upon their borders. The international community waited in muted caution until outcries were too loud to ignore. Even nations with an isolationist and nationalist bent such as the United States and Japan aided in the rescue efforts. Doctors from all over the world volunteered and travelled to designated safe zones to help treat survivors.


All in all, August 9th 2026 was the culmination of the twenty-first century’s first quarter of human tragedy. Born in post-cold war optimism, the twenty-first century would soon be defined by political and economic turmoil beginning with the September 11th 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States. 9/11, Iraq, Afghanistan, terrorism, war, climate change, recession, revolution, counterrevolution, refugees, nationalism, authoritarianism, more recession, more war, more terrorism. Finally - devastation.



© 2018 ComradeRG95


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
Added on July 25, 2018
Last Updated on July 25, 2018
Tags: war, politics, speculative fiction, science fiction, environment