A Peaceful Beginning

A Peaceful Beginning

A Chapter by CoreyJames
"

This introduces the second character. Leon Fischer, a simple fisherman.

"
In the peaceful fishing village of Haven, there is a man in a cabin. He sits on a rocking chair while he reads a book of ancient legends and heros. The man has a longing in his heart, he wants to be like those heroes, battling the darkness, for there to be light.

But he is just a fisherman. While the bliss of peace makes him believe he is in a safe haven sometimes, he still has the human instinct to wish to find a bigger purpose in life.
He believe he can find purpose by becoming a Ranger.

His father always shot him down when he asked about going to a combat school. “There’s no need son, I don't want you growing up to get killed for some politician's wishes. Anyways there hasn't been a war worth fighting for in decades! We practically live in heaven on Earth! Why would you want to leave that?” His father would say. Leon never knew about his dad’s past. No one ever talked about him, while his dad said he was a fisherman his whole life, many doubted that, including Leon.

But that never stopped him from wanting to leave his home.

“Leon,” The sound of his mother bursted through the cabin, “Would you be a dear and take the garbage outside?” Leon smiled, “Anything for you, mother”

Leon walked outside, after he took the trash out, he layed down on a hillside and admired the stars. Those magnificent twinkling light bulbs brought Leon pure happiness. Those stars were God’s artwork, in the eyes of Leon. When he starred at them, he felt as if he was reading a good book, the cold air and starry night gave Leon a sense of freedom. He would take his hand and lift it up high, trying to reach the stars. In Leon’s mind nothing was impossible. So when he lifted his hands to the stars, that seemed just out of his reach, it felt poetic. He believed that one day he would reach those stars, metaphorically of course. But he couldn't help to see the sky as place so similar to his dreams. While they seemed so close, he knew that one day, just one day he would reach them.

This wasn't the first time Leon glanced into the infinite spectrum of light that was above him, for it was a nightly occurrence. In fact Leon’s life was just the repetition of the same daily and nightly occurrences. Repeated over a course of 15 years.

It would begin with him waking up, then fishing till noon, eating, attending school for a few hours, then hang out with his friend William.

Leon and Will would fight each other, sparring of course, they both shared the same passion for going to Ranger school.

To them, the Rangers were like the heros in Leon’s books. But instead of fighting dark monsters they usually just deal with religious zealots and cults in the major cities. Within their countries of “Caledonia” But their first problem was acquiring swords. The duo had a dagger and bow, for hunting. But neither had an actual sword and their parents didn't approve of them getting one, So they schemed of ways of getting their local blacksmith to make one. Along with that, other problems arose.

Leon grew up in a fishing village on the west side of the country. To even get to the Ranger school, they would have to cross “The great desert of Khali” a place barren of liveable land that once held a great ocean. The place is treacherous and deadly to most. So most people take a boat from the city of Cane (in the West) to the city of Able (in the East) The boat goes around the desert, but the rides are around $5000 a ticket. Leon could never afford that. So Leon and Will made a pact, when they were strong enough, they would cross the desert of Khali. Not only to get better lives as Rangers, but to get purpose, to get courage. The Rangers seemed fearless in almost every battle. And that's all they wanted to be, fearless.

Their plan was once they reached the city of Able, they would join in the Ranger recruitment tournament. To get new and better Rangers, the school decided that they would host a sparring tournament (along with other trials). It consisted of 3 vs 3 battles. The top 5 teams got into the school, but only the top team received advanced training and is the only team that had a shot of becoming combat Rangers. The rest became either Police rangers, detective Rangers, or just received form of emergency response job. Many people don't want the other jobs, so they either re-enter the tournament, quit, or seek a job as a grunt in the military. But no one actually wants to be a grunt, that is considered the pawn of the combat schools. While some grunts get promoted, most die in badly planned raids, due to bad training. The Rangers are professional and trained better than any military personnel.

The only problem Leon and Will had was, they were only two people. They needed a third guy. “Don't worry, Leon. We will find someone to join us! I'm sure of it, just like my dad is sure that we will die before we ever make it to Able!” Will would ironically reassure Leon as he always does with his over the top positive attitude.

And after the duo hangs out, Leon heads home. He reads ancient history and fantasy fiction books that he orders with the little money he has. They are one of the small things in life that bring him joy. He reads about the olden days of the Rangers, when they would fight this enemy called the “Possessed” these were beings of pure evil.

At first they terrorized everyone, they had seemingly just appeared from the shadows and began to raise hell. While their origins are unknown. The countries of Caledonia, Foremburg, and Rakastan, set aside their differences to create an ultimate fighting force called the Rangers. The Rangers were made in squads (originally 3 people, one from each country. But it was later decided that the teams worked better if the squad was composed with members of the same country) that were used to fight back the possessed.

After five years of fighting, the possessed simply vanished one day. The countries believed that they had demolished the possessed. They celebrated, but after the war, the countries went back to being bitter at each other.

Even thousands of years after the Great War, the Rangers still exist and fight. But they mainly deal with people, that are religious zealots, who worship the possessed and wish for them to come back and claim all their souls.

Crazy talk, that's what Leon thought, but as he looked upon the stars that night, into the abyss, he believed that maybe people could be that stupid, to believe that being murdered in cold blood is a good thing. “Who would want to die?” He thought

A branch snaps behind Leon, and Leon turns to yell “Hey there buddy ‘O pal” And to no one's surprise, his best buddy Will steps up.

Will smiles at Leon “I believe, that I'll make it to Ranger school before I could ever sneak up on you” Will asserted, “And speaking of Ranger school, the great desert trek, and the need of a third guy, do you know that lovely little blacksmith Delilah?” Will joked, he knew Leon knew her.

“Delilah” Leon spoke her name softly.

Of course he knew her, they were friends since they were ten. And Will knew that after awhile, Leon began to develop feelings for her. Little did Leon know, Delilah also liked Leon since day one. Will knew about all of this of course, unlike his friend.

When they were younger Delilah used Will as a confidant for what she felt “I honestly think he's a wonderful guy, stoic, smart, dreamy” Delilah’s eyes drifted off. “And have you ever just looked into his eyes? The bright blue is just memorizing. And his jet black hair that's dark as night. All that and a genuinely nice guy” Will nodded and tried to give advice “So you like my friend Leon, why not just ask him what he thinks? Instead of sitting here, making me pull some psychological ninja crap?” Delilah twirled her thumbs, “I know I'm asking you to pry some information, but, I just don't want to risk losing our very close friendship.” Will laughed, “By close friendship you mean exchanging glances then looking away really fast, making the only human contact you get with Leon be through school projects, that don't really involve you two getting to know each other?” Delilah looked down sadly “You can be really mean sometimes, you know that?” Will held a gigantic grin “That's just who I am. But since I’ve been shipping you guys for the past few years I'll be more then happy to interrogate my best friend!”

So Will strutted up to Leon with a look of confidence on his face, he was going to finally set them up. Will tried to come up with a brilliant plant. He used all of his brain cells to find a way to tell Leon, but not let on too much,. “You know girl wonder over there has a huge crush on you, right? It's about as obvious as my mom's face during a poker game” While that might seem as obvious as can be, Will believed that if he was blatantly obvious Leon just might not believe him. Leon, being younger at the time didn't believe Will. Will had always tried to set the two up. And believing that Will knew what Leon felt, Leon responded “You can't trick me into thinking that she likes me back Will, and anyways. I do value our friendship very much.”

Will at the time didn't know what Leon felt and the news appeared to be groundbreaking to Will, his genius plan had not only involved him not lying, he also got an answer to the question he didn't even ask! “Ok buddy.”

Will then decided to be as blunt as a bat with Delilah, thinking maybe she might just be happy and get together with Leon. “So, your superman over there has actually liked you for quite some time, you should, I don't know. Walk up, and do something else that doesn't involve stalking”

Delilah also didn't believe Will, it was probably how he said it, but at that moment she gave up on most of her hopes of being with Leon. She believed if Will said that about Leon, it was obviously a lie and he probably felt nothing.So she decided that she’d just be close friends with him and flirt so much that he’d just consider it was her being friendly. Will didn't know how bad his bluntness had rubbed off on her.

And From that day forth she always greeted him with a “hello love!” Or “how you doing? you tall, dark, and mysterious stranger?”Leon felt flattered the first few times she’d say that. And Delilah loved saying it, it gave her a sense of safety that she could talk to Leon so freely, even if he didn't get the true meaning in what she said.

But after awhile Leon believed that it was actually a dark prank that Will pulled to tease Leon for his entire life. After Leon told Will about his feelings, and with Delilah acting more extroverted Leon knew that Will said something. And it made Leon feel terrible. But not as terrible as the fact that the two accidentally friend zoned each other.

So when Will told of something about Delilah, he didn't feel his heart race like it did in the earlier days, he felt like he was on the business end of a dagger.

“What did you do Will” Leon fretted, as he pulled Will towards him. Will quickly explained “Well I got her to make us some discount swords” Will pulled out two shiny steel blades. One had something written in a foreign language on it. “What was the catch?” Leon insisted.

And out of nowhere a girl popped out of the bushes with hair and eyes as pink as her cheeks. It was Delilah. She happily exclaimed “You take me with you to the city of Able and let me fight with you in the Ranger tournament”

As Leon stood shocked, Delilah had her own plans of the adventure “First we wander the hot desert and do battle with the evils within, then in the cold desert nights we snuggle for warmth, knowing that I need him, and he needs me,” her brain paused, “ and it'll be so romantic, we will travel to the city become Rangers, then we will spend all of our time together!”

“It'll be so lovely” Delilah spoke aloud. Leon smiled on the inside for a moment, she was happy. He then looked towards Will, who had a smile on his face. Leon spoke to Will“Will” Will tried to brush off Leon’s negative tone on the situation “Leon, it would be great! She made us swords, she's nice, and she has a huge crush….” Will was silenced by Delilah’s hand. She finished his sentence “Crushing debt that can only be payed by the salary of a Ranger” Delilah stood proud but nervous, she believed that she played that off better than any other human being could’ve. “But was it good enough” she doubted.

Delilah always dreamed that if Leon felt anything, that he would make the first move. And after five years she still had that childish hope, that in all honesty everyone has.

Leon looked at Will for a moment. Will had always joked about Delilah, about her liking Leon when she wasn't around. And Leon believed her extrovertness was her being her. But when Will mentioned it around Delilah, Delilah got nervous. Leon always believed that Will was lying about her feelings but now he was unsure, “He wasn't lying?” Leon questioned himself. He didn't know if he was excited or mad.

I signaled for Will to come over to me. Delilah kept her smile and absurd happiness on her face as she slid her finger across her throat to threaten Will.

“I'm going to kill you for this, you know?” Leon told Will. Will smiled with a great big grin that can only come from the comfort of a friend. “You’ll be fine, she’ll grow on you. Rather that be literal or metaphorical is up for nature to decide.” Will extended his hand while Leon retorted “I ever tell you that you say complete gibberish sometimes?” Will contested “it's not gibberish, trust me” “Ok bro,” Leon ended.

Delilah wavered back and forth. Excitement filled her, she was going to travel to foreign land, fight evil, and be with a loved one through it all. In her moment of absolute joy, she interjected into the conversation “So, when we leaving?”

Leon and Will looked at each other, they knew that neither of their parents would approve. “This weekend” Will murmured. “Tomorrow?” Delilah excitedly questioned.
“Yes, this time tomorrow,” Will reassured, “Bring everything you’ll need”

After they said that Will said he had to return home. Leon decided that he should do the same, but Delilah stopped him “Leon?”’ Delilah spoke his name softly, almost as if she were slightly scared, “Can you promise me that you’ll be here tomorrow?” Leon gave her a weird look. “Will already said we are meeting here and leaving tomorrow.” Delilah sighed “I know Will said it, I just” Delilah stopped to think, “I just want to hear you say it.” Leon looked her straight in her eyes, “I promise..darling” they both laughed a sigh of relief, as they both finally felt comfortable around each other. Leon left, Delilah took a moment to look at the stars. She lifted her hand out “So close” she smiled at the beauty of the stars, but only had one specific star on her mind.

The Next Day:

The next day flew by quickly. When Leon woke up he saw mucky storm clouds approaching. But despite that fact, the newly formed trio remained happy. Due to the storms, Leon was unable to attend his morning fishing and would report to school after a few hours at home.

Leon spent some of his morning in his rocking chair, reading. His mother, Trisha, stood in their living room. Trisha was an old lady. She understood the fragility in life. Their household stood in silence until a knock was found on their door. Trisha went up to open the door, what she found when she opened was a barrage of bright pink covering a person’s body. It was Delilah, she was hoping to see Leon at the door, “Oh, hello Mrs. Fischer” Delilah said in a slightly embarrassed tone. Trisha responded “Hello there! Aren't you Delilah Ferro?” Delilah nodded, “Oh Delilah, you've changed so much since the last time I've seen you! You’re so pretty! That's a very lovely dress you have on, who you trying to impress?” Delilah blushed, Trisha continued “oh I'm just teasing. What brings you down here? Delilah was a little embarrassed but elaborated, “I'm actually here to see Leon. Is he here by any chance ?” Trisha then put a big smile on her face. “Yes he is.” Trisha looked towards Leon’s room and yelled, “Leon! There is a pretty lady down here asking for you!” Leon walked out and saw Delilah, he noticed how nice she looked. Delilah let out a smile as she saw Leon. Trisha walked out of the room to grab her husband “Jack, come out here!” Leon and Delilah had a moment for themselves.
“Leon?” Delilah asked. “Yes.”
“About the trip..” Delilah started but was interrupted as Leon pushed her against the wall and hushed her. She thought if she were in any other situation she might have enjoyed that. “Delilah” Leon whispered into her ear, “ My parents don't know about the trip, so keep that low profile ok?” He backed off “So, continue” Delilah continued. “Well, as I was saying I thought you could use this for the trip” She smiled as she pulled out a pink compass, “Take it” Leon didn't know why she gave it to him, maybe a gesture of goodwill? He didn't know, but he put the little device into his chest pocket. “I'll keep this safe” Leon spoke as he strangely looked at Delilah, she just had a big smile on her face the entire time. It brought him some kind of peace, like when he looked at the stars, Delilah had a smile as bright as those stars in Leon’s eyes. Trisha walked back in, dragging Leon’s dad “Look Jack! It's Delilah, isn't she so cute!” Delilah blushed. Jack looked at his son and gave him a thumbs up. Leon, being embarrassed spoke “We got to go to school, love you guys!” Delilah added on “Goodbye Mrs and Mr Fischer!”
Leon’s parents looked at the two, Trisha spoke as they left “They look so cute together” she looked at Jack “I'd told you it would happen one day” Jack stood there,happy that his son was making roots in the town, hoping his son wouldn't grow old and move away some day. “Sure are” Jack said, “Hey Trisha, I've got to go to the city, I'll be back next week love”


Will and Leon joked and had fun at school. Leon would occasionally catch Delilah’s glance and they would both smile. Before all this, if they caught each other’s glance they would both just look away fastly, Leon would try to walk it off, and Delilah would just smile on the inside since she thought it was adorable. But now they were both just so comfortable, and it made Delilah happy.

They saw each other later in the school day they were at lunch and Leon decided that if was going to hang out with her for the next few months, he might as well talk a little bit more to her. Leon met Delilah at her table and set right next to her, even though every seat at the round table was open. Leon tried to open up a conversation about the swords she made “So Delilah, what's up with the foreign words on the sword you made for me” Leon studied ancient languages, but didn't know any fluently. Delilah smiled, it was a little note she had made for Leon “I knew a guy that translated old documents, so I asked him what a certain sentence would look like. I thought it was cool, so when I was bored one day I just engraved it into your sword”
Leon chuckled “I swear if it says “I'm a pansy” I will kill you” they both were humored by that. They spoke to each other so easily, as they were never able to do before. They shared many laughs.

Then Will entered and sat directly across from them he had a grand smile, seeing the two so happy together made him feel happy. “Oh, look at the lovely couple” Will held out his arms to exaggerate the cuteness.

Leon and Delilah both simultaneously awkwardly scratched behind their own ears, to show that they were still kind of shy. “Will! Why isn't it just odd to see you here?” Leon stated. Will looked at him weirdly “Leon, we go to a school with a population of 50 people K-12. It would be odd if you didn't see me” Delilah kind of hinted for Will to leave.
“Oh,I'm sorry” Will inserted, he knew that they were having a moment, Will grabbed a random student “Hey there John! Long time no see! How's the kids?” Will ran off with John. While Leon and Delilah sat there, simply enjoying the company.

School eventually let out. Leon and Will just hung outside till dark, they started to pack as they got ready for the trip.

But something was off.

Leon felt as if something bad was happening. But shrugged it off. He believed that he had fear of leaving his homestead of Haven. Leon always had a crippling fear of the unknown, he feared that great desert he was about to enter. He even feared Delilah to a certain extent, even more than the desert. Leon never had the courage to say anything to her. Leon was able to prepare a trip across a desert with peril, possible death, starving, and other threats. And the thing that scared him more than all of that, was simply words. Delilah’s words to be exact.

Leon believed that if he could make it to Ranger school, he could do anything. Somehow he believed that if he simply became a Ranger he could follow his dreams and face all of his fears, irrational or rational. But as Leon grew as a person he learned that, overcoming fear wasn't something that could be taught. It was an experience one had to learn for themselves. So Leon decided that, if they were going to take this trek together, he might as well speak what's on his mind.

But the sensation Leon felt wasn't fear. Leon always had a knack for spotting danger. Whenever he and Will would spar, Leon would always win. This feeling was like a warning system to him. And whenever Will would strike, Leon would be able to just dodge him, every single time. When Leon was in danger time would appear to slow, (or just any moment of high adrenaline or emotion) As a child, Leon once was taking a nap under a tree. He felt this sensation of chills run through him, he woke up to hear lightning, he saw the tree above him fall, but then it stopped, in mid-air, along with the rest of the world. Leon stood there for a moment believing he was dead, but when he walked away from the tree, life went on as normal. These moments happened to Leon every now and then. It happened, when he would trip, fight Will, see Delilah, catch a big fish, and at other miscellaneous times.

Leon, thinking courageously (instead of intelligently) , disregarded it. He thought that, even if he didn't leave now, that the feeling of danger would always be there. Even if he did this at a later date. Leon knew that the road would always be dangerous and this chilling sensation wouldn't stop either way. Leon knew that sometimes, you just have to do somethings that are dangerous. “Without risk, there is no reward” Leon used this to calm himself.

Leon and Will were on the hill, preparing for their adventure of a lifetime.

Will was packing clothes “Leon! I'm going to tidy up here, you go grab Delilah” Will then gave Leon a friendly smirk, “Come on, it'll make her day!” Leon decided to joke “Ok. And she is growing on me, but just a little though,” He continued “You know Will, I use to think you were a deceitful b*****d?” Will didn't looked surprised, he responded “Has that changed?” Leon gave a soft laugh “Well now, I know you are a deceitful b*****d.” Will laughed “ Well hey! At least I'm your deceitful b*****d!” Will laughed for a bit and finished, “Now let's all get ready, Leon, go grab girl wonder out here and let's go”

Leon walked away to grab Delilah, they were finally kind of close now. After years of jokes and playing around, they were finally going to travel the world together. With Will as their gigantic third wheel. And that made Leon happy. His sarcastic best friend, his lovely childhood crush and him were off to a life of excitement. Leon couldn't wish for better people to be with.

And something still seemed off.

Leon felt chills go throughout his body, they were strong as ever. As to say something bad was about to happen. So Leon numbed his senses and ignored it.

“LEON” William shouted at the top of his lungs. Leon took his feelings of fear and danger and sprinted up towards the mountain with them. He climbed the hill only to find him holding a simple package. “Leon, you hold the swords, they are heavy and I am already carrying more than enough.”

Leon let out a sigh of relief. But was shortly greeted by a freezing blast of cold air. Leon's sense of danger went into overdrive. Leon looked into the distance and saw some man at the side of a stage coach, he looked non-threatening so Leon ignored him.
But the man did appear peculiar though, but not as peculiar as the figure Leon saw in the trees.

But Leon ignored the figure thinking it to be a bird. Will looked at him “You aren't getting cold feet, are you?” Leon snapped his focus back on Will “Since when did I ever get cold feet?” Leon looked at Will with a joking face “Don't answer that” Leon saw a few bags of flour on the ground “I'm going to steal these ok?” Will looked at him strangely them laughed at Leon, as he knew what he was about to do. “I'll be on the road when you guys are ready.” Will mentioned.

Leon walked down to Delilah, he had one goal, and that was just to say what he simply felt. And convey one bright idea.

----------------------------------------------
Delilah freshened up. She stood at her mirror. This was the most exciting and happy day of her life. She made sure that she was wearing a nice outfit, to get Leon’s attention, and packed more for the trip.

To her, this was her dream. To be with Leon on an amazing adventure. She thought that she was going into the “best part of her life.” She spoke aloud. She smiled to make sure that she herself looked happy. Delilah believed that if you looked happy, that those around you would be happy too.

And that's all Delilah wanted, was for her and Leon to be happy, together.

Then she heard a voice, and to he it seemed like a voice of pure delight. Leon yelled “Delilah” from outside, she rushed with excitement to meet him. Delilah always felt happy around Leon. she didn't know why, but something about him made her feel safe and her heart always skipped a beat when she saw him, that's why she never wanted to tell him how she felt. Because the feeling she had when she was with Leon was the best she had ever had, love was what she called it.

She walked out the door to see Leon standing there in the moonlight. She hoped he was there to whisk her away and ride into the sunset, but he was holding a bag “Delilah, I've come to bring you something” Leon spoke, Delilah was saddened that the interaction appeared to be meaningless. She grabbed the bag and opened it up, Leon continued “I've brought you some flours” Delilah looked inside the bag to see the cooking ingredient, she looked at Leon to see him smiling at her in a way that made her feel as if she and Leon had a connection. Delilah knew that this came from the bottom of Leon’s heart and she laughed louder than she had ever laughed in her life. Leon saw her and was happy. Her laugh made Leon happy, her smile made him smile, and she looked like a beautiful painting on a canvas, so full of emotion and joy.“I love your smile Delilah.” Delilah blushed and look back at Leon, “Wow, that was very straightforward” Delilah thought. Leon continued “Come with me, I want to show you something” That's when Delilah’s heart started to race. She knew that this had nothing to do with their journey. Did Will not lie all those years ago?

They were on the hill that Leon use to look at the stars at. “Stand right here” Leon asked. “Why?” Delilah questioned “Trust me” Delilah trusted Leon, and she was happy and scared at the same time. She didn't know what was going to happen. They looked into the abyss above them. Leon started to speak “So are you ready to go face the dangers of the world, monsters, zealots, reality tv host?” Delilah laughed, Leon always had a way to make her laugh. “Oh you bet on it, love. Down with reality tv!” The two joked and played around, Delilah felt as if she was a kid again. Leon gave her such a sense of security. Then Leon started to get serious.

“What do you see?” Delilah looked at Leon “The stars, obviously.” Leon looked at her “Well of course, but even with this shining ballet right there, the only thing I see right now is us” Delilah laughed still trying to be her old flirtatious self “I always knew you were the romantic type Leon” She paused, she knew that not many opportunities like this would arrive, her and Leon, alone, at a romantic spot. She believed that no matter what happened she had to tell Leon how she really felt. Maybe Delilah was scared, but Leon made her feel safe.

“Can I tell you something Leon?” Delilah sat up, she looked into Leon’s Eyes, they were glowing in the moonlight. “Only if I can say something too.”
They both store at each other with excitement running through their bodies. They both looked at each other. Delilah had waited for this moment for years, and she decided to confess with Leon. They both spoke in unison “I love you” Delilah almost broke into tears. Hearing those words from Leon meant the world to her and the same to Leon. They both smiled as they stared into each other's eyes. Leon pushed Delilah’s hair behind her ear. They both felt so in love and happiness just surged through them. Leon moved his head towards Delilah’s. Delilah closed her eyes and so did Leon as they went in for a kiss on that lovely night. A blast of cold air hit the couple, but they paid no attention. Time slowed down for Leon, as happiness insured he just closed his eyes and relaxed. He thought that he and Delilah were going to live a wonderful life together, and it all would start here, when they first kissed. Delilah brought her foot up.

Delilah thought of how warm it was to be in Leon’s arms. It was as if they were meant to be in her eyes. And Leon saw just how lovely Delilah looked that night. The two approached each other longing to lock lips. To Leon it felt like he was reaching for the stars again, as they neared each other he felt like he was finally going to grab that star and do what he always wanted to do, kiss Delilah.

But much like the stars Delilah seemed just out of his reach.


THAT'S WHEN IT HAPPENED
Leon heard Delilah whimper while his eyes were closed. He opened them to see Delilah, with a look of fear on her face. Her eyes were wide open. Leon looked to see that there was a dagger in Delilah’s chest. Leon’s eyes opened wide to see Delilah fall into his arms. Delilah never hoped that she would fall into Leon’s arms like she just did.

Leon saw the dagger looked to be a shadow object that dissipated. Leon looked up to see a possessed soldier standing above him. He went down and drew his sword to kill Leon. The soldier got a good wind up, and swung. But Leon grabbed his weapon from the man and stabbed the dark one in the chest, he dissipated.
Leon looked back at Delilah, she was lying on the ground and looking at the stars. She saw Leon and grabbed him “don't leave me” Leon was crying “I would never leave you love” Delilah started to spurt out blood, Leon tried to patch her up. “It's no use Leon, I'm fine, I'm ready” Leon looked at his love “Don't say that! You’ll live, we still have to go on that adventure, remember?” Delilah’s pink outfit started to get discolored by her own blood. “Leon, you have gave me all the adventure I ever needed in my life.” Leon applied pressure to the wound.

Leon saw Will approaching, he told him to grab a doctor.

“I love you Delilah, please just don't go” Delilah smiled, she looked like a beautiful painting on a canvas smeared by red paint. Delilah held on, it hurt her, but she wanted to tell Leon something. “Leon, I never told you why I liked you.” Leon held her hand “ Neither did I,” Leon continued, you were always just so beautiful and nice. And it just made me happy to be around you. You’re happy, smart, beautiful, funny, you were the most wonderful woman I have ever met.” Delilah smiled “Leon, to me you are like the stars. Dreamy, but real. A light to the darkness.” She clinched Leon’s hand “Brighter, the closer you got to it.” She spit out more blood and reached her hand out to Leon’s face. “So close” her hand lost life before she touched Leon’s face. And those were her last words.

Leon pleaded
“Delilah! Stay with me baby. Please don't go. Delilah, please don't leave me. Delilah! We still have an adventure, a life to live together, we still have to buy a house, have kids, see them grow up. Come back, please.Delilah I love you, I've always loved you” He stared into her lifeless eyes. She, once full of spirit and joy and so full of life, lie their in Leon's arms. The look of emptiness in her eyes scarred Leon. The image of her, lifeless would never leave him now.
The love of his life lie before him, and a feeling of agony swept through him.

A cold breeze hit him again, this was real. He still had so much to say, and now, nothing.

Will returned, he saw Leon and approached him. Will was in shock that Delilah was dead. Will pulled Leon up, “Leon, we have to go, there’s an army ransacking the town.” Leon had a dead stare in his eyes. He knew that earlier, the shadowy figure in the trees, he was a possessed soldier. And Leon had ignored him, causing Delilah to die. “Leon! We need to leave!” Will tried to shake Leon out of his shell shock state. Leon pulled out his sword and headed to the town. Will followed him, he wasn't going to let both his friends die tonight

Leon walked into the village to see people getting slaughtered, homes getting burnt, enemies screaming maniacally. But Leon continued in with his deathly gaze. When a soldier would cross him, Leon would kill it. He kept lurking along until he saw a man on a horse, in the middle of it all. The man was a possessed, but he had yellow eyes. The horseman made eye contact with Leon, he got off his horse and drew his sword.

Leon looked at that man a look of insanity. Leon blamed the man for Delilah’s death. Leon got angry. The two stood across from each other, the possessed formed a circle around them. Will joined in. “What’s the plan?” Will asked, he was afraid of the men circling them. But Leon paid no attention to Will. All his focus was on that horseman.

He ran at the horseman to lock blades with him, they started to fight. The possessed soldiers started to fight Will, they wanted the horseman and Leon to duel 1 versus 1,

The horseman tried to land blows on Leon, but missed every one. He then realized that Leon had powers, he knew that he couldn't beat Leon through physical means, so he thought of another way to beat him.

Leon saw the look of surprise on his face. He started to run at him but, was stopped by a line of foot soldiers. Leon fought them off with ease. They kept coming and Leon kept a tally of how man he had vanquished. “Ten, Fifteen, Thirty, Sixty” The numbers got higher and higher as the demon’s appeared to come from nowhere. But after awhile the man returned.

He held Will in his dark grasp, next to him lie the bodies of Delilah and Trisha, but Leon’s dad was missing. Will yelled “Let me go you disgusting b*****d!”

Leon looked at his best friend as he had a knife to his throat, “Put him down! This is between you and me”

The horseman replied with a disturbing voice “No, this is between us. Leon” Leon had no idea how the man knew his name, “First, you couldn't protect your poor mother, then you couldn't even save the girl you loved, and now you best friend is going to bleed out. Right in front of you” Leon ran to stop the man, but he wasn't fast enough, he slid his dagger across Will's throat. “No!” Leon stopped in his tracks, Will died on the spot. Leon fought waves and waves of the possessed. With his ability he wasn't even scratched. But as he continued fighting Leon began to question himself. “All my friends are dead” Leon continued to fight, “And I could've saved them” Leon became more slower in his attacks , “I killed them all” Leon dropped his sword. He looked at one of the soldiers stampede in at him, time slowed, but Leon did nothing as he impaled Leon's left shoulder into the wall.

The possessed separated, the horseman walked up to Leon. Leon let out a whimper “Just kill me already.” The horseman laughed, “Now why would I do that, I've done something worse than killing you, I've broken you.” The horseman continued “That is my goal, as Pestilence” looked at Leon. Leon didn't do anything, he just stood there broken. Pestilence retrieved the sword “Let's leave this one to suffer” Leon laid in the ground, awaiting death.

He laid there for a day.
But as he lay there he had a great many thoughts.
The first were him blaming himself for this tragedy,
Then he blamed Pestilence.
Then he felt more anger.
After that Leon grabbed his sword
He had only one mission, one purpose.
Kill Pestilence.

He used his sword as a crutch to walk. He saw the bodies of his past friends and family. Leon couldn't just leave them there. He patched himself up, then grabbed a shovel. Leon buried Trisha, Will, and Delilah up on that Hill. Jack’s dad was unaccounted for.
He looked at the crosses that he put above their graves. He had made a promise to Will and Delilah that they would meet on that hill, then go to the city of Abel, to become a Ranger. And even though all he made the promise to were dead, Leon felt obligated to fulfill his promise,

“Become a Ranger, Kill Pestilence” Leon spoke to himself. He looked forward to see the crack of dawn. It lit up the groom graveyard of a town. Leon looked towards Delilah’s cross. He held his hand over his heart and felt an object. He picked it up to see it was the pink compass she had given him earlier. Leon reared up, he put the compass back in his pocket and walked towards the East, in the direction of the Great Desert of Khali.

Leon still had shock running through him, he couldn't believe that he was still alive. Leon was convinced that he had really died, and this was his personal hell. So Leon didn't care if he died on the way to Abel, he didn't care if Pestilence killed him later, he didn't care if he died today or eighty years from now.

For him, the real Leon died that day, and what remained was a different person.


© 2016 CoreyJames


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on June 6, 2016
Last Updated on June 6, 2016


Author

CoreyJames
CoreyJames

About
I've been writing for awhile, and would love to know what people think of my stories. Don't be afraid to be critical! more..

Writing
A Foreign Land A Foreign Land

A Chapter by CoreyJames


A.L.O.N.E A.L.O.N.E

A Book by CoreyJames