The Tales of Delandi: Prologue

The Tales of Delandi: Prologue

A Screenplay by Cousitarian
"

In a mystic land of champions, demons, dragons, magic, crafted by gods, a story begins to unfold for the current age that will change everything. The very foundations of the world shall be shaken.

"

Prologue...

 

- (The scene opens rather peculiar. There is only dense darkness at first, a vast blanket that the eye cannot penetrate, until several things happen in succession. The gentle, mystical voice of a woman breaks the ominous quiet. As she speaks, tiny dots of light randomly blink to life amid the blackness in gradual succession.)

 

- Vanille: “It is common fact that light cannot exist without the dark. It is a truth that cannot be ignored nor proved wrong. For years, since time himself began to tick, these two elements of good and ill have looked to route out the other. Yet, with every day that passes along with every night that vanishes only go to prove how futile their attempts at destroying one another are.”

 

- (The dots prove to be stars decorating the night sky overhead as the camera looks towards them.)

 

- Vanille: “Where the world falls into night, the moon rises and is accompanied by the stars.”

 

- (The night fades away for an instant to allow the moment where the sun brilliantly rises at dawn. As it casts its light forth to drive away the night and take up the moon’s place, everything is shadowed. The camera watches each object, whether it rock or tree, cast their own shadow.)

 

- Vanille: “Where the day comes along with the sun, everything produces a shadow.”

 

- (Night returns upon the scene once more. The focus is directed downwards towards where a shadowed land stands below. It is a heavily forested realm, trees covering the entirety, that draws out a distinguishable line in the horizon where both earth and sky finally meet together. As the endless stretches of trees is looked over, the woman continues with her words.)

 

- Vanille: “This place you look upon proves to be the last real bastion for life in this world that has not been claimed by the vast sea with the years. It is Delandi and, over the years, it has witnessed much strife only equaled by prosperity. There has been much madness as well as reason here. However, I am pleased to confirm that the happiness shared by the population throughout this continent-”

 

- (As the speaker continues, there are flashes of numerous places as well as peoples. There are humans working together on a farm during daylight with livestock on a grassy setting of prairies. Rabba are nearby collecting herbs as other of their kin get berries. Then, there are giants that appear to be roaming the wide stretches of paths that line between mountains while ignoring the blistering winds of a heavy blizzard. Dwarves, underground, hammer at anvils that shape impressive pieces as others of them joyfully enjoy drinks together in one of their magnificently crafted halls. Griffins of many colors swoop over the large ocean waves, dive underwater for a moment, then burst forth with a screech once again clutching large fish to carry up towards where their island homes reside. As they climb in altitude, a mother griffin tends a babe until the little one actually attempts to fly with success.)

 

- Vanille: “-greatly outdoes the misery they have come to experience as a whole.”

 

- (At the mention of “misery”, a desolate scene is brought about for a minute. It is a province of death, desert, along with beasts that roam free. Traversing the dunes are several nomadic like figures, the wolfish Jackal folk, that ignore the heat with caravans trailing them. They carry weapons while donned in raggedy clothing, keeping a watchful eye too for reasons really unknown to none but themselves. The sight is certainly mysterious. However, at the part of the jackal, another feeling describes the empty wasteland. Pity, sorrow, sympathy, plus curiosity.)

 

- Vanille: “Delandi. That is the place you see before you. It was not always what it is today but shaped throughout the many centuries it has endured into what it is now. As for now, for this peaceful age that has proved to be most rewarding, we are thankful. For that which was lost in the process of time, remaining in the past, though, we cannot help but feel sorrow. There are things we are grateful to be rid of. Others, the same cannot be said.”

 

- (The forested landscape from before returns. It is brought to attention that the stars are not the only light sources now. Between the thick canopies of tree limbs heavily coated in leaves, there appears to be a long trail of lights upon land that stretch for some distance in single file. Attention is centered on these land bound orbs. It turns out to be a parade of elves, distinguished by the pointed ears they bear that point outwards-backwards, regally dressed in fine silk clothes. Some are on horseback. The rest walk on foot. The trail of lights on land that resemble the overhead stars turn out to be unique torches the elves hold, casting luminosity with firefly shaped orbs of white flames rather than dancing orange. Illuminated by these, the present people appear to be deeply thoughtful as well as moving for a purpose.)

 

- Vanille: “There is much life today enjoying the peace started a five hundred years ago. I am the ruling monarch of such a civilization that benefits from the current prosperity today throughout Delandi. It is not of the humans in the west I speak of nor the dwarves in the north or their giant companions. No, I gladly act as queen over those you view now. The “Elves”, as they are called inside and outside their borders. The woods they presently travel through is their newly formulated home, my charge, Lantier.”

 

- (The parade of elves passes by the camera’s resting place, showing each of them with their heads slightly bowed in quiet prayer. Behind them, there seems to be more of their kin of a different sort dressed not in clothing but formal armors that are well completed with helms shaped to match a eagle’s head. These militaristic elves carry shining weapons, shields, plus hold aloft certain banners made from white material that lightly flap with the occasional breeze that makes itself known. Upon these flags is a most curious symbol. It depicts a large star surrounded by smaller ones painted or colored gold. The banner holders pass, as do several horse riders led by a distinct looking caped general, to show a finely built carriage of white wood.)

 

- (Inside the royal wagon is a duo. Immediately, eyes are drawn to the female elf who has a lustrous head of raven black hair that trails down over her shoulders while her bangs are held up by a tight circlet. She is unremarkably attractive with an angelic figure, dressed in a green set of light, steel armor that matches the color of her clear eyes while outlined with white ribbons here or there. Her forearms are hidden under leather gloves. Her feet are protected by hardy boots too, with several buckles to secure them on. She has the appearances of a early forty year old, yet, it does not seem so with such beauteous items to reinforce her elegance. Opposite of her, the less noticeable figure for a reason, is hidden away under thick robes. A hood covers his face but it can be seen he is a man underneath it all and an old one at that. Across his lap is a staff, crafted from a unknown silver material, with a reflective spear head at its tip. The camera stays on the woman elf.)

 

- Vanille: “My title is “Vanille Mendreen”, the queen of Lantier. Protector of the elven people and head of that which is known as the “Order” throughout Delandi. As queen, I seek what is best for my subjects.”

 

- (The camera shows the elves offering prayers.)

 

-Vanille: “As leader of the Order, I seek what is best for the continent as a whole too.”

 

- (At this, Vanille glances at the staff in her companion’s lap with a blank expression. Its spear head bears the star surrounded by stars symbol like the flag carriers presently march with. Then she resumes staring outside towards nature. She notices a group of deer, headed by a proud buck, inquisitively watching from a distance. Her expression becomes a slight grimace.)

 

- Vanille: “Though, with every passing day, that certain duty of deciding for the outside world seems to become harder still.”

 

- (Vanille turns away from nature. She notices the old elf across from her seems to be observing her. Forcefully, she assumes a small smile before giving a reassuring nod of her graceful head for reasons only she knows. The aged elf’s emotions can only be noticed due to his lips that are not blocked from view. He, too, nods his head without a word while lacking the smile his majesty had. It is a mysterious, uncomfortable action.)

 

- Vanille: “Time has a way of changing things. That is a truth just as respected as the battle between good and bad throughout my people. Everything has a history. That much is certain for elf kind, whom were born from humans, keep the secrets of magic secret, who served the goddess during her time with us, and saw the ending times of the dragons arrive.”

 

- (The elf queen rubs her forehead with a weary expression.)

 

- Vanille: “Not merely this but we act as the balance that keeps this continent along with its civilizations in check. We are the upholders of peace, masters of harmony... or we were at one point in time’s flow. We continue to attempt to keep the balance of things where others, a growing number these days, would see it ended for their own reasons.”

 

- (Vanille lays back her head against the cushioned seat of the carriage she is sitting upon to close her eyes. Outside, her escort follows the praying elf citizens without pause. A war horse snorts as several deer scatter into the night, passing through the very formations. The camera focuses onto a flag bearing the Order emblem of golden stars.)

 

- Vanille: “This burden of watching over everything does not fall onto everyone here in Lantier but onto the elves. It is a job only given unto those that are honorable enough to wish to take part in preventing the rise of tyranny, spill of innocent blood, all the while endangering themselves. Our actions keep the god of destruction, “Chaos”, from entering this world. Every victory we achieve against him in Delandi is dedicated to his brother, the god of tranquility, “Peace”, who taught us the proper way to live. He encouraged to do good over wrong and follow righteousness instead of villainy. This thought, these laws, have brought much good into everyone’s lives.”

 

- (Vanille opens her emerald eyes that glisten like the stars.)

 

- Vanille: “One cannot, like many do today, simply demand to be let into the Order that upholds peace. It is an organization filled with selfless people who have proven themselves reliable rather than looking for fame as well as fortune. The Order did not always exist with us, though. No. It started many years back, during the days of the dragons who, instead of us, took up the duty’s mantle in the name of the goddess to seek out corruption before it took root. They were the masters of the skies, warlords of the battlefields, keepers of the arcane arts we now are every day. Thus, as we are among our fellow mortals today, they were strong without rival. They were the former Order, the true protectors of Delandi that we try to be today.”

 

- (Attention looks away from Vanille towards the forest. Deer bound through the thick foliage as insects sing. Wolves watch them intently. A mouse peeks out from the tall grass to quickly retreat back into cover as an owl hoots from somewhere. There are fireflies that dance through the dark air like children at play. As the camera draws close to the mass of swirling, glowing insects, Vanille speaks onward.)

 

- Vanille: “The position of ruler is a dangerous one. It requires much from an individual and that includes a variety of things such as the patience to hear out conflicts, the wisdom to make the right decisions that effect thousands, the willpower to carry on when it seems futile, and to have the endurance throughout the battles that come. As a ruler, you need to be a shining example to those that look up to you and... you must ignore Chaos’s corrupting call.  It is hard but you must keep from becoming a tyrant and abusing your power over those who trust you.”

 

- (The fireflies comes closer, growing brighter as they do.)

 

- Vanille: “As rulers, this is something the dragons failed to do. These were things that their own king, “Geddon”, quit in the end and accepted the embrace of destruction’s teachings rather than the Order’s. His power proved too much for him. His corruption was gradual but certain. His fall brought along the end to all dragons, to their southern homeland of Isgarn, as well as to the lives of many others. His hunger gave birth to the elves along with the current order tonight... At a dreadful price.”

 

- (The light from the fireflies becomes too bright. They engulf the screen in white, leaving things suspended as Vanille finishes with “price”. Her voice fades off as something else begins to take shape through the blinding brilliance of the supposed fireflies. A bird like shape melds from the whiteness, not exactly clear but there as a black dot. As time ticks slowly, the shape becomes more distinguishable as a proud half hawk-half lion griffin diving downwards towards the camera. It passes by with surprising swiftness at a slight spin, whooshing by to reveal the sun shining in the fireflies place. The focus is turned away to follow the progress of the flying lone griffin and what it flies over is somewhat surprising.)

 

- (Below are massive armies charging one another comprised of many warriors! Humans, the majority, can be seen on both sides accompanied by allies. The right appears to be a proper military force with giants dotting the ranks. The left is completely barbaric with trolls, ogres, and beasts present among them. Their roars echo out dully, followed by the sounds of clashing weapons as the forces collide like two deformed waves of the sea! The griffin gives a long scream, a piercing cry that gives off a sense of majestic inspiration. Then, ahead of it, dozens of its kin become seen flying forth over the conflicted armies on land. The single griffin darts forward and becomes lost amidst the crowds of its brethren. Where they fly becomes explained when other flyers rush them with roars, cries, and bursts of flame. Dragons, small as well as large, ravage the formations of griffins. Like those below, the armies of the air let loose fresh battle cries. At once, shapes begin to fall towards the earth either dead or wounded.)

 

- (One dragon, a small one, rockets downwards with a shrill squeal. It targets a giant, who raises his shield. The winged lizard is knocked aside. A huge dragon, injured by pursuing griffins, falls from the air battle. It recovers enough in time to crash against the approaching ground, scattering troops not able to get out of the way in time along with patches of dirt. With a furious roar, the great, downed beast in heavy scales rises from its place of dishonor only to be assaulted by enemy forces from both ground and air without relief. It smashes smaller soldiers aside well with its claws, head, along with barbed tail. A giant presses his advantage in size, strength, plus grit over the weakened lizard by swinging his mace while protected by his large shield as a trio of griffins pester his opponent. In defiance, the dragon looses upon his foes a stream of flame that brings down two of the flyers harming him. The last griffin dives but is brutally swatted away by the wickedly spiked tail. Then, burned harshly despite his shield, the giant falls when knocked upside his helmed head by the dragon’s whipping tail! At this, the victorious dragon roars!)

 

- Vanille: “It was several years after the fall of the last remaining demons throughout Delandi that dragon kind took it upon themselves to be the safeguards of the continent. After being blessed to use the arts of magic, however, their views dramatically changed with corruption’s corruption. The shifted from being justified keepers of the peace to tyrannical superiors over all other mortals. Dragons’ might was unrivaled as was their king, Geddon, whom led the revolt against our true ruler, Delandi, or the goddess herself.”

 

- (A troll armored in junk throws a yelling human soldier into a nearby group attempting to aid him best they could. Immediately after, a griffin lands upon the troll’s shoulders with a screech to deliver a piercing strike with its beak into the beast’s thickly skinned neck! The troll lets out a squeal, reaches up to rid himself of the rider, then cries again when speared by a jackal! The wolf man evades a swing of his adversary’s mace, then stabs again with his weapon effectively to allow more blood to glisten forth. Enraged, the troll madly charges. A volley of arrows strike him across his front, showing centaurs later readying more projectiles. With a last moan, mightier than thought, the troll finally crashes to the ground. Dust sprays up as a result. Not really acknowledging their victory, the troll’s killers leave him to move on to engage other enemies among the hordes. As the camera remains focused upon the blank expression of the now still troll bleeding freely. Vanille speaks again as the sounds of battle fade.)

 

- Vanille: “A conflict, the bloodiest in history thus far, came into existence to earn the title of “The Reckoning”. It was a war that split the continent in half where the south invaded the north. It was the war between dragons, along with their beastial allies, and those they labeled the lesser mortals or subjects, our ancestors.”

 

- (The Reckoning shifts onto another scene, showing a rock jutting out from a mountainside that overlooks the current battle. Upon the rocky formation is a dragon of a completely different sort than those shown thus far into the story. It has copper eyes shining bright, is massive, twice in size as any other large dragon presently flying into battle, with glistening scales colored a smoky black. His epic head is square shaped, crowned by two horns reaching five feet back, with spines jutting backwards from his mighty jaws as well as those upon his four brawny limbs rippled with muscles that support him. His tail, thirty feet in length, completed with a spear head styled tip, curls around his fierce talons. This dragon, this proud beast, observes the raging battle from afar while accompanied by a guard of his own comprised of smaller ones. He is Geddon.)

 

- Vanille: “Geddon, supposedly the first dragon, acted as leader of his people in invading the north along with its civilization’s freedoms. Centuries in the past, before forming the second elven order to press down his darkness, Geddon was no more different than any other of his kind meaning he possessed no skill for magic. He breathed no fire. That wasn’t required when able to fly or defeat most foes with tooth and claw. It was only after the uprising of the demons, where dragons proved to be the best defense as well as offense, that he earned deep respect and honor to learn the arts. For you see, during the cleansing of demons, Geddon became the dearest friend of the goddess...”

 

- (A white mark can be seen upon the back of Geddon’s right claw. It consists of jagged lines criss-crossing one another in numerous spots with a flame here or there. It glows slightly which allows the dragon king to expel some flames from his snout in amusement at the battle’s progress below. His forces are pressing back the mortals attempting to stand up to his own. They seem to be retreating, eagerly pursued by the dragon forces.)

 

- Vanille: “Delandi at that time had been the only master of how to reach into the flows that made up the world called “Magic”. It was am element that bestowed one with unlimited potential to better or worsen life and one not granted lightly. With great power comes great responsibility. The goddess only came to inherit the teaching from the first god, Peace, whom used his wisdom to civilize the world and defeat his brother, Chaos. Thus, after his departure to look over his imprisoned brother, Peace left his world of mortals in the hands of Delandi. After a time in her charge, though, demons threatened to overthrow her and, persuaded by Geddon, she had no choice but to pass the teachings onward to dragons. A choice most thought would prove beneficial in the future...”

 

- (The lesser mortal armies are in full retreat now with their slower troops being massacred. Northern mortals fall to their swarming southern enemies, overtaken by trolls or run down by enemy soldiers. A drake breaths a jet of fire that blocks out the scene to scatter sparks everywhere.)

 

- Vanille: “It, instead, only proved to be a fatal mistake in the end... Unforeseen but fatal nonetheless.”

 

- (As the flames of the drake’s breath pass away on a invisible wind, a new scene takes the place of the bloody battlefield. It is within a kind of shrine’s halls, a large plaza constructed from good marble with a high ceiling supported by thick pillars, where a twenty-five foot humanoid statue of Delandi stands. At first, the camera sees only the stone figurine’s well detailed face that is framed by a lustrous flow of freely falling hair. Then, the scene moves downwards from there to where the living goddess herself is actually standing at the sculpture’s feet on a platform. A kind of meeting is being held between herself as well as three other figures. Before her, kneeled down onto one knee, are two human men. Between them, is a young woman similar to Vanille. It is Vanille, actually. The goddess holds a hand over her respectful guests, eyes closed while muttering a long incantation. A symbol, the star surrounded by stars sign, shines brilliantly upon her extended hand as she murmurs.)

 

- Vanille: “In the end, as another act of desperation to stem the tide of chaos against her as well as to prevent the loss of the glorious kingdom itself, the goddess had to pass her arcane teachings unto others. Her choice, this time, fell upon a certain few in humanity.”

 

- (The young lass resembling Vanille gasps when Delandi summons the incantation over her finally. The result is that, with a blink plus several sparks, the star surrounded by stars emblem gleams upon the back of the future elf queen’s right hand to match that of the goddess’s own. Her round ears stretch back into pointy versions, showing her first minutes as an elf.)

 

- Vanille: “Myself included.”

 

- (Vanille, after examining her signed hand with wonder, notices her partners too. They all bear sharp ears now and, after looking to their superior, they bow their heads again to Delandi in gratitude.)

 

- Vanille: “However, unlike the dragons, this decision proved to be a beneficial one in the future. If it were not... how would the elves be present today? Simple. They would not be.”

 

- (The image of Delandi hailed by her very first three elven fellows alone in the mysterious temple halls darkens into blackness. As each torch’s dancing flames flicker out, one remains alight in the black screen as another picture takes the place of the shrine. The flame that once belonged to the torch is no longer so but the results of a spell a youth, a elven boy in robes, has conjured with a sweating brow. Around him are several other elves, young and old, doing the same practices he is trying. They are outside in the fields of some peaceful setting not disturbed by war. With each student attempting to master the flows of magic are teachers. With the first boy to appear trying to conjure arcane forces through flame is Vanille herself, quite elegant in a white tunic with brown leggings and leather circlet holding back her hair. She demonstrates the fire spell, then lets the boy try again.)

 

- Vanille: “At once, mortals of selfless valor were routed out from the surviving forces of the resistance against Geddon’s tyranny to take their places as the first of the new order meant to bring back the prosperous times. They were forged into the finest soldiers in both physical combat along with magics. Their minds were hardened as well as smoothened to be fair while also lethal. Wisdom, courage, honor and dozens of other teachings were bestowed upon those deemed worthy by Delandi to join the second order’s ranks...”

 

- (The young elf boy is shown meditating, reading, exercising, then finally running through sunny fields lastly before his entire personage is dramatically changed. He still dashes forward with intense speed through the fields, yet, he is older in years with a more mature expression filled with confidence, bravery, and determination. His outfit is no longer of a commoner but of that like Vanille’s escort in the forest earlier. His surroundings are as grayish and bloody as the battlefield the northern mortals lost beforehand with fortifications speeding by him as he speeds towards wherever it is he intends to go. The sounds of combat grow in volume as he progresses. His silver armor flashes light in many directions with every movement, his torn cape billows behind him, and he makes a epic pole vault jump with the halberd he easily carries over a group of casting elf mages.)

 

- (With a magnificent landing that he rolls out of onto his feet, the former elf boy, now a young man, swings his axe weapon up to knock away a enemy soldier’s sword strike. In a unbelievable move like a dance, the elf knight of the order slashes his foe aside across the chest, stabs another charging trooper in the heart, then trips a third enemy to skewer him by bringing his weapon downward with a harsh cry. Quick to recover himself, he looks up to be confronted by a fearsome drake racked by battle wounds from many a foe! The lizard gives a gargled cry much like a cackle before charging with maw lined with fangs opened wide! The elf boy pole vaults again, easily evading a bite, to land upon his assaulting enemy. His halberd buries its head into the scaled monster whom lets out a shocked cry of pain along with chatters of anger. The creature rolls, spraying earth all over along with crushing several ally troops. It does not crush his adversary who matters though, whom frees his lance and jumps away from harm.)

 

- (When the drake whirls about to resume facing its elven adversary, a growing rumble begins to sound out. The group of casters from before have finished casting. A large portal rimmed with flames has opened above the party of mages, a kind of mouth of some unnatural worm that suddenly expels a fierce, large fireball! The projectile strikes its target who squeals in shock as well as pain! When it rises up from the magical attack, a charred burn remains upon its left shoulder where scales once glinted. The drake roars. It lunges towards the spear wielding elf, who sidesteps the snapping jaws quickly. He slashes the monster across its scaly skin, rolls beneath to strike its soft underbelly swiftly next, then finishes by pole vaulting upwards onto the dragon’s spine like before. This time, holding on as his ride screeches, the former elf boy slams his halberd’s blade through the drake’s skull into the brain. The result is instant. The lizard goes blankly silent before tipping over to crash onto its side.)

 

- Vanille: “The progress of the war shifted to our favor after the new order, hosted by the elves this time, grew enough to become public. Although we held many similarities to the humans we once were a part of, our capabilities greatly outdid theirs’ along with every other mortal race of the north. We quickly earned the recognition of saviors, protectors, leaders, along with hope bringers among the ranks of our allies and, although still weaker than they, our powers proved a good rival to dragon kind’s.”

 

- (The setting of the battlefield becomes better explained as the camera rotates around the victorious elf boy with halberd in hand. He steps down from his dead opponent’s form, three times larger than he but dead nonetheless, as the background is filled with clashing warriors from every race upon Delandi. Among the dead are many dragons for a change, riddled with wounds from more elven weapons or the spells of casters earlier. In the sky are numerous aerial battles consisting of dragons and griffins. Occasionally, a flyer will free fall from the sky. The outline of a great citadel can be seen through the thick layers of smoke rising into the stormy gray sky from the fires started throughout the field. It is an impressive monument of stonework, one that could match the mountains even, surrounded by sturdy walls at different elevations and a immense tower looming over it all. At this, the elf boy looks towards this structure as well as rests his eyes longest on the spire. The familiar scream of a griffin rings out. This draws not only the elf boy’s attention but those around him. They raise their hands up with inspired cheers.)

 

- (Vanille rides an impressive, golden griffin who’s wings are outlined with black feathers and body is well muscled. The flyer demands a kind of nobility, respect, as well as recognition among those who accompany him. The future elf queen notices her past student standing beside the dead drake and, with bow in her hand, she acknowledges the achievement with a proud grin across her attractive face. She looks back forward only when past the sight below to see the conflict she must traverse. Dragons notice her along with the guard that acts as her escort. The lizards charge forth with enthusiastic roars.)

 

- Vanille: “With newfound inspiration as well as leaders, whom valued their powers for what they were truly worth, to guide them to victory, the north eventually drove back Geddon’s forces into the south. The dragons soon came to learn of the elves and to fear them.”

 

- (Vanille fits an arrow into her longbow to fire a shining arrow of whiteness. The brilliant projectile shrieks forward from her place into the chest of a small dragon in her way. The monster falters with a yelp, dead before hitting the battlefield below with a pierced heart. Another arrow of the elf queen’s catches another approaching dragon. Yet, no matter her impressive precision, a small dragon closes in on Vanille’s position. Her griffin steed gives an intimidating cry in response to the charge and, with quick succession, easily kicks away the attacker to fly on. The surrounding griffins acting as an escort fly ahead to distract the rest of the enemies, battling fiercely as Vanille soars through their midst. Her destination becomes clear as she rises in altitude with the help of her griffin steed. She heads towards the top of the shadowy tower ahead.)

 

- Vanille: “Years passed with much blood spilled on both sides. It eventually became certain that a stalemate had occurred between the forces of our goddess and the dragon king. However, we made a daring move against Geddon upon his throne in the dragon’s capital of Isgarn that brought us victory in the end.”

 

- (Vanille’s griffin soars through the thick smoke to lazily glide round the top of the citadel’s flattened top. There, upon the roof, are figures doing battle it seems. There are four in total. One is Geddon himself, missing scales in random spots with his jaw bloodied along with his great wings in tatters. His foes are humanoid. They prove to be, with further observation, the two elves blessed beside Vanille aiding Delandi. All participants are scarred yet unwilling to stand down. Both elf men wield valiant weapons. One bears a two handed sword. The other wields a broad shield with a longsword. The goddess holds a staff, the same in Vanille’s carriage, staring down Geddon who glares back. No one acknowledges Vanille when she leaps from her griffin steed unto the tower’s peak with graceful lightness. With bow in hand, she joins her friends against a common foe. Geddon snorts flames at her arrival.)

 

- Vanille: “Like all else in the Reckoning though... our win came with a tremendous price.”

 

- (Geddon rears up with his four wings, even though shadows of their former selves, outstretched to give off a strong sense of power. He slams back down, claws creating scrapes into the sturdy stone of the tower, to let out a tremendous roar that has the force of a miniature bomb. In reply to being blown off their feet, Delandi summons a bubble of protective magic that shields her party from the action. After this, the battle begins. The shield-swordsman charges the dragon king followed closely by his two handed brother. He raises his shield as Geddon expels flames, a great inferno, upon him. The defense proves to be more than it seems as a wall of aura prevents danger from reaching past the knight’s shield. When Geddon finishes breathing fire, the two handed warrior elf leaps over his defending shield comrade through the smoke to deliver a severe strike to the monster’s head. In anger, Geddon looks down upon his attacker with an angry slash across his nostrils. He prepares to swipe at his melee foes with his tail but is interrupted when a white arrow sinks itself into his right foreleg, delivered by Vanille’s aim.)

 

- (The dragon king roars when the two handed swordsman swings his sword downwards into the dragon’s left forepaw with a bloody explosion. Geddon brutally knocks him away, now burdened by a bleeding claw that makes him limp, to face the shield elf with eyes burning bright. His tail reaches forth from behind, like a sinister snake, to smash the elf. Again, the elf’s shield shockingly deflects the assault with a sturdy wall of aura that blinks when hit. Delandi raises her staff to summon energy, chanting something incoherent with light building into her weapon’s decorative head. Vanille looses another arrow that strikes true into Geddon’s neck this time. In a rage, the dragon king smashes his wounded claw down. He beats his four wings to gain height into the air. This is when Delandi casts another spell that shoots mystic chains upwards after her flying adversary. The links, dozens of them, pull Geddon back down to be held by the goddess herself as her comrades attack with renewed vigor.)

 

- (With an enraged roar, the dragon king shatters his bonds and the symbol upon his right paw gleams with an unmatched brightness. He faces the two handed swordsman, who gives a battle cry while charging, then cuffs the elf aside so far that he plunges over the tower top’s side to vanish into the smoky depths below. His sword scrapes to a halt though. The shield elf gives out a yell of indignation at the loss of his companion, then preps himself when Geddon faces him with a fiercer glow in his eyes than ever before. The dragon looses another inferno that is no different than the first and is deflected. However, Geddon appears from the smoke to grab up the elf. With a bloody cry, he smashes the knight down against the stone where sparks spring up. Amid the rubble, the shields elf remains still. Delandi plus Vanille remain.)

 

- (Vanille aims her bow when Geddon turns towards her and the goddess with the same malevolent look he had given the other two defeated elf warriors. He leaps into the smoky air over the tower platform with a great cry to land almost upon those who engage him. He knocks aside Delandi’s last companion, who slides to a stop with a painful groan, then focuses upon the goddess herself to breath in deeply for a ferocious breath of fire. In response, the goddess begins conjuring a mysterious spell. The marks upon her hand as well as upon Geddon’s shine against one another as their moves are decided. The dragon king unleashes his building inferno upon his former queen with a triumphant scream, eyes alight with eagerness. The flames that reach his opponent do nothing but pass over something, an invisible shield in a dome shape. Angered, Geddon lifts his tail up to smack at the goddess. His several assaults have the same results as his flames before. Nothing comes from them. The dragon king slams his right claw down upon his adversary where cracks snake along the magical, dome shield. Vanille shows worry.)

 

- (What happens next is unexpected. Geddon continues to weaken Delandi’s shield with more strikes of his claws along with lashes his tail. All the while, the goddess remains focused upon that which she is calling forth and, as the barrier that protects her is ready to break, she shines a pure white light that blinds her observers. The light comes from her marked hand before engulfing her entire form. Suddenly, the light shoots out as chains that sink into Geddon’s own shining symbol. In obvious shock, the dragon king glares down at the magical tethers to see them connected to the goddess’s own symbolic hand. His slit eyes widen, allowing the pupils to grow large to reflect the scene in them. The chains between Delandi and Geddon cause the duo to be outlined, as if their veins themselves are affected, all over. Geddon seems to grow desperate with the progress of the lines reaching across his body. He struggles, beating his four wings while roaring out but the tethers he shares with Delandi prevent him from being freed nor attacking her too. The goddess, showing a blank expression during her brilliance, turns her gaze onto Vanille. It is nothing but solemn acceptance of something coming.)

 

- (Vanille, who senses the unspoken meaning of her goddess’s stare, attempts to rise to her feet but falls back to her knees as a strong wind billows from nowhere. Another intensity of light, this time shared between both dragon king and mortal goddess, builds up with numerous forces causing the scene to end abruptly. The wind picks up into a roar. The radiance becomes blinding. The entire sight sucks into itself, silencing everything. Then a shockwave is unleashed. The following explosion is shown from top view over the tower’s peak. Vanille is blasted onto her back where she covers her face as the magical act comes to an end. Below, in the feuding battlefield, Vanille’s former student with a bloody cut along his cheek looks up with his fellow allies as Delandi’s magic explodes audibly above. Dragons in the air as well as on the ground show signs of uncertainty before resuming battle.)

 

- (When the dust settles where Geddon stood chained with Delandi, there is nothing. Both masters of magic, leaders of the currently conflicting armies, are nowhere to be seen. The only survivor, a lone figure upon the tower’s flat head where five just stood, is Vanille who is limping forward to see her fears confirmed. Her eyes become filled with sadness.)

 

- Vanille: “The cost for victory... was the very life of our goddess, Delandi, herself...”

 

- (The future elf queen turns her head away from the direction of the blowing wind. She hesitates in her controlled weeping when seeing something embedded into the stone platform she stands upon close by. It is Delandi’s staff, perfectly unharmed, with its bladed head stuck firmly in place against the winds billowing past. Even though there is little light of any kind present now, the goddess’s weapon sparkles on its own. When Vanille pulls the staff free with some examination afterwards, she glances to where the remnants of her two brother elves remained.)

 

- Vanille: “Not just hers but the lives of the two other first blessed like myself. Adaman-)

 

- (At this, Vanille flips over the shield elf, Adaman, to be observed facing up. He is absolutely dead with blank eyes along with bloody grimace revealed when his visor is lifted up. With a growing face of sadness, Vanille closes her comrade’s eyes with her fingers as a last act of respect to his memory. Then she rises up to move away towards where the two handed swordsman had met his own unfortunate fate.)

 

- Vanille: “-and Landers.”

 

- (Landers’s large broadsword gleams against the stone of the tower when the last first blessed approaches it. When done staring at it with a empty face, Vanille approaches the ridge of the spire’s top when the sounds of horns echo out through the smoke spotted environment. With torn cape billowing behind her, the camera follows Vanille’s progress until she stops at the platform’s edge where there is only air. The view shows the dragons scattering, pursued by griffins, with the corrupted southern mortals being run down by the north as they too flee. The horns belong to the runners, calling for them to retreat to wherever they could. Vanille’s student, who stands upon the corpse of a troll, raises his halberd in triumph and his victory cry is echoed by all those around him. As the battle ends in favor of the north, Vanille turns her eyes upon Delandi’s glinting staff in thought. Her hair whips around her smudged face.)

 

- Vanille: “The price of victory at the end of Reckoning cost the world not only the goddess nor my two blessed brother elves but hundreds of innocent others of the north. Families were fated never to be the same. Lands would remain forever marked. Isgarn, its people too, would stay tainted by the results of the war. However... it brought an end to Chaos so that Peace could once again be found.”

 

- (The camera zooms away from where Vanille stands solemnly looking out over the results of the last battle in Reckoning’s history with the wind blowing against her. She shrinks, becoming harder and harder to see through the thickening fogs of smoke rising up, until she can be seen no more. The scene changes from being covered by dark smoke to being hidden away by white wisps of cloud instead. The camera sweeps over a lengthy sea of green valleys dotted with a long line of brown, a road, and large lake of dazzling water. A nomadic group of centaurs can be seen nearby the body of water, enjoying camp. A mountain range stands in the distance where the sun’s rays shine golden over everything.)

 

- Vanille: “And with Peace’s arrival... recovery found its way into the world to take the place of ruin. With recovery’s arrival, hope rekindled for those that thought it lost. With hope’s arrival, courage took root and with that, retaking the future was a possibility again.”

 

- (The centaur camp vanishes to show humans reconstructing sites destroyed during the Reckoning. Rabba are shown with them, going over plans for construction. Dwarves are back to being their jolly selves in the underground halls of another bar where two are firmly locked in a arm wrestling match with their crowd hollering. Giants have returned to mining, effectively chipping away at Ornarm’s surface to acquire valuable ores while enduring the gentle snow falling from the clear sky colored like the newly dug up sapphire just found. The blue jewel reflects the clouds passing by overhead. Then, there are the elves who have gathered around Vanille in a plain area surrounded by thick forests. She leads them in a ceremony of some kind. At the end, every elf present lifts a candle to her and she nods.)

 

- Vanille: “Delandi’s title became that of the continent spared by Peace. With her passing, there was no real subject to take her place but the order itself. However, the order required a leader to lead it for it couldn’t be managed by itself without her grace.”

 

- (Vanille bows her head and the sad ceremony she attends before everyone changes into an occasion of celebration within a fantastic stronghold’s throne room. It is the same setting where the elf queen first became blessed by the goddess. There are the same thick columns of stone supporting the ceiling wrapped by white ribbons. Everything is illuminated by rays of grand sunshine cutting in through windows craved from the hall’s walls. The floor is carpeted in white silk while its standing space is jammed full with observing souls. There are humans, rabba, dwarves, jackal, griffins, polar, even giants present as the event goes on. Vanille still bows her head as a young elf, her student, steps forward firmly to set a crown of silver, wire thin as rose stems with roses decorating its circular shape, upon her grand forehead. In its middle, positioned perfectly upon the elf queen’s forehead, dazzles a star shape.)

 

- Vanille: “The south lost its tyrant king where the north lost its goddess. Dragons lost the divine right they once had to be the protectors of the continent. That duty fell upon the newly born race, mine that exists today, the elves. Our worth had been shown throughout the remainder of the Reckoning. It earned us the titles of peacekeepers in the future and no elf ever took advantage of that like the dragons did. As for the goddess... there could be no real replacement for her as she could never take the place of Peace when he handed over his rule to her.”

 

- (Vanille opens her shockingly emerald eyes and the camera zooms out backwards from her radiant expression to show her onlookers, the throne room’s guests on both sides, kneeling down in respect. She turns her brilliant eyes onto another elf, a young maiden this time, who also kneels down onto one knee before presenting Delandi’s majestic staff to its new owner. In blank decision, the elf queen receives the goddess’s item.)

 

- Vanille: “But-”

 

- (Vanille, after gently placing a hand upon the maiden who presented Delandi’s staff as well as upon her old student, strides away from her raised platform where the regal seat of a ruler is meant to be. She aims to leave the room, walking towards a pair of high double doors that let in the blinding sun shine from outside. They are opened by nearby guards, allowing the sunlight to truly block the outside world from sight as Vanille approaches.)

 

- Vanille: “-the people needed a replacement-”

 

- (A gradual roar begins to make itself heard after the doors are opened for the queen whom remains blank faced but the glint in her eyes show her emotions. She is nervous, uncertain, about what may lay ahead. The roar grows in volume as the unintelligible world nears her form adorned in clothing meant only for someone of honest splendor.)

 

- Vanille: “-they needed a champion with a wise heart and generous ear-”

 

- (The sunlight blinds everything from sight as Vanille steps through the threshold leading towards the roaring world outside. Her figure is swallowed up into the radiance framed by the doorway for several seconds where time slows dramatically. Then, it all becomes clear when the sharp luminosity blinks away to show the newly appointed queen standing upon a balcony looking out over a epic sight. A massive crowd of mortals, bunched together into the city’s center by the nearby buildings and populating the streets beyond that, were the source of the long tremendous roar from earlier. There are hundreds of people from every race. Humans, dwarves, jackal, centaurs, rabba, polar, plus giants cheer for she who simply gazes over them from on high from the balcony. Griffins, resting upon the roofs of houses or hovering to see better, beat their wings while letting out proud calls. Vanille sees it all. It is reflected in her watering eyes.)

 

- Vanille: “-thus-”

 

- (If it couldn’t get any better, the energetic roars grow louder when the elf queen waves towards her spectators. Then the noise reaches its peak when she lifts Delandi’s staff high into the air for all to see. Its head reflects the sunlight grandly. The camera looks up from the crowds below to truly grasp the sincerity of the moment. Vanille’s expression is shown again where she is quietly crying to herself in happiness, sorrow, as well as pride.)

 

- Vanille: “-the people chose me. They chose the last of Delandi’s first blessed to lead them into the uncertain future and, though the coming days were not clear to any, they were promising nonetheless. That I swore when given the mantle left to us by the goddess. When I was given... my second chance to atone for my failure atop that spire with her grace.”

 

- (The scene fades away to show the rest of Delandi. The years are obviously progressing, showing that the civilizations are healing from the Reckoning.)

 

- Vanille: “And so, the Age of Mortals took the place of the Age of Dragons where the order’s elves were welcomed into everything with open arms.”

 

- (Many instances are shown after this. The elves partake in each flash. An elf is displayed aiding humans in a court, looking over a map on a table showing roads in the west. The rabba share herbs with a group of young elves during a lesson of potions along with salves. The griffins, bearing elf riders, dive among the isles they reside upon with ease. Jackal diplomats, accompanied by elves, shake hands with dwarves near a coast. Giants greet an envoy of elves seeking shelter from the ferocious snowstorms into their large tents warmed by a hearty fire. The polar bear folk of the northwestern ice lands lead some elves along a tour over a glacier landscape towards a remote village. A respectable meeting between Vanille and a grand dwarf, the king dwarf himself, is shown lastly.)

 

- Vanille: “This was the way things were... For a time at least...”

 

- (As the elf queen shakes hands with the dwarf king, the camera passes a column and the warm setting shifts into one of obvious rejection. The years have passed again. The king is no longer present, the surroundings are dimmed gray rather than gold with torchlight, but is replaced by another. His former majesty is replaced by a bald dwarf, round in body as well as face, resting grimly in the throne where the king remained no more than a second ago. In his new highness’s stubborn presence stand a trio of elves, none of them Vanille, who seem to be trying to talk. The elves are heavily cloaked with their faces hidden away too as they speak. Suddenly, the dwarf on his throne begins to show anger. He knocks aside the goblet resting on one of the throne’s arms. With a face contorted with fury, he stabs a finger at the shocked elves while yelling something incoherent. Then he waves his hand, hearing no more of the guests before him. His guards prod the elves away with their spears.)

 

- Vanille: “... Before the Age of Ignorance visited the land half a millennia later.”

 

- (Another column passes by to wipe away the dwarf’s throne room so that it may be replaced by another noble one just as conflicted. This time, it belongs to a youthful human that is acting just as angry towards several elves in his sight like the dwarf before him. Shouting all the while, he waves his hands before him, stabs numerous times at the hooded elves in contempt with a finger, then sweeps away to sit back upon his throne.)

 

- Vanille: “These days are very much different than those five hundred years ago when Geddon fell, Delandi perished, and the Reckoning ended. These current times are not like those where understanding, friendship, and caution were valued most. Today, one only focuses on him or herself rather than on others. Today-”

 

- (The elves before the human are forced away by the nearby guards.)

 

- Vanille: “-the order works in secrecy rather than out in public. It’s ways are supposedly twisted. It’s purpose is shunned from those it swore to protect when formulated during times of dire need. It might even be forgotten. I dearly hope not with each passing day.”

 

- (Another column supporting the setting’s ceiling passes and everything finally returns to where Vanille is being escorted through the darkened forests decorated by an occasional firefly darting along over the thick plant growth all around. The elf queen still stares out from her carriage through its window, her gaze is one of solemn sadness only shown within her shining eyes. She blinks when a horseman moves by, attempting to recover herself to nod at the nobleman passing her. Without a helm like the rest, the horse rider looks older but the scar along his cheek seems familiar as if seen before. He is the queen’s student only a member of the order now, dressed in grand armor with a flagged halberd raised up in his right hand. He studies his queen, showing signs of quiet concern, then nods back before riding ahead. Vanille watches his progress. Then, she looks back to her goddess’s staff with a deep exhale.)

 

- Vanille: “This is no longer the Mortal Age. It is starting to prove to be no better than the Dragon Age before it, unfortunately. No. There is talk, little jokes, in my court that the land the goddess sacrificed herself for has entered the Age of Ignorance. There is no other title that describes the times we now live in. Souls look for gain without end. The citizens we once protected, that we have done no ill deed ever but the opposite, scorn us on sight due to the wicked tongues of those whom deem us a threat... to their own self glory.”

 

- (A map is shown depicting the continent as a whole. It focuses on the western nation acting as Lantier’s counterpart, Kentarn. The region is just as large, if not bigger, as the elven nation along its eastern borders. There are numerous settlements throughout its drawn form as the camera glides over the province, slowly moving towards the north as Vanille speaks.)

 

- Vanille: “The ways of the order take after that of the dragons. Where they were corrupt in the past, they were worshipped for being the most fantastic justice seekers beforehand. They did not simply accept heroes of valor into their ranks but also took in the smallest drake for having the largest heart towards the people. One did not have to be a demon hunter or brilliant fighter to be accepted. They could simply be saviors for the simplest reasons such as hosting charities, sparing lives from death, as well as aiding those in need without thought of payment. Those that the dragons accepted were the perfect role models for the innocent to look up to. They were the truest of heroes that the people could unquestionably depend upon.”

 

- (The progress of the scanning continues and more settlements pass under the camera lens.)

 

- Vanille: “These teachings were not lost to us when we first formed the beginnings of our own order. Thus, no one must be a dragon slayer nor demon hunter nor have to best a hoard of goblins to be accepted into the secret arcane arts. No, it is much simpler than most think. However, it is one that has been lost to those in the outside world where they once knew full well what had to be done. Heroes far and wide of every race look to enter the order. They are rejected for they do not possess the leadership for more than one but themselves. Nobles from everywhere command us to take them in due to their blood rights... This is their failure completely. One does not order the goddess. Therefore, one does not state anything of the order that acts in her stead.”

 

- (The capitol of Kentarn appears labeled “Hawking”. It is larger than all others shown and is focused on for a few moments as Vanille goes on speaking of the past.)

 

- Vanille: “Elf kind, myself with Adaman and Landers, were first human before being given such titles. That is a truth as common as air keeps one alive that we easily, even happily, accept and have accepted since being blessed. Without humanity, there could be no elves of course. This is a fact that was once worshipped. Now it is hated. Not only by the outside world but by my race as well. The racism towards my people began with the humans. True, they are a worthy people to have as friends but not enough to be simply allowed into the learnings of magic. As said before, not everyone is taken in without good reason. Few show it. With anger in their hearts, mankind intentionally twisted our constant rejections into corruption and, when knowing full well they were not worthy, spread lies of our intentions. Elves may have been born from man... It once was a honor. Now, it is nothing like that. It is a pity.”

 

- (The camera looks upwards from Hawking, away from the human realm towards the Ornamarn Mountains. A citadel like fortress rests within the mountains titled “Garm” and, like Hawking, the scene remains on that spot for several moments.)

 

- Vanille: “Humans were the first to begin to stir against us. Naturally, others followed the lead and the second race to rise up without reason were the dwarves. Our feud with these folk has been a constant one since we first attempted to settle a matter between them and the homeless jackal who now occupy Enzine today. With our efforts, some say forced, we created a fair deal between the two civilizations that satisfied them both. The result has proved to be nothing but beneficial for the continent. Yet, the dwarves remained unpredictable. This is due to their, sadly, selfish natures. They are a folk who are as stubborn as the rock they carve. Few of them have been accepted into the order due to this... They are a people who would only want to help their own as they have done in the past. Proper evidence.”

 

- (The camera rotates around Garm.)

 

- Vanille: “Nevertheless, like the humans, dwarves don’t take refusal well. Being rich, the richest, makes no difference to the order. It is friendship, selflessness, respectfulness, and many other traits that make the difference. None the dwarves show often but to each other. Thinking that their riches, battle history, and rank made them worthy, the dwarves also demanded we allow them acceptance after numerous failings. Again, none demand anything of the goddess. Thus, we remained steadfast, despite the hostilities shown to us, in Ornamarn until forced away or risk actual open war. An act we thought impossible until then. Being the order, we wished for no such act to pass. Our retreat... apparently showed weakness. We were forced from Kentarn next.”

 

- (The escort of elves is shown again in place of the map. Vanille is staring back outside as several more deer make themselves known by bounding away.)

 

- Vanille: “Even so, the attitude towards our organization is not all negative. There are those who have ignored the venomous lies and have remained faithful that our acts are not for ourselves but for the majority. The order continues to act, even without the permission of those who claim they are capable by themselves. We have become more like assassins than actual liberators but this does not stop justice from being done. Open war is possible. However, we will not commit such a thing against our fellow mortals. No matter how blind they may be...”

 

- (Things seem to be changing for the elven group who have been purposefully marching forward for the past long moments in silence. The horse riders are checking their swords, shields, spears, along with helmets. The soldiers on foot unsheathe their own weapons at hand while still having flags held high. Vanille’s student turns about to ride back to nod an untold message to his queen at her window whom nods back with a understanding expression. The student rides forward, cape flapping behind him as he gallops. The queen looks to her companion, Anders, riding with her. He slightly bows his head at her stare. A signal that spells out he too is in on the unspoken occasion. Vanille blinks before letting out a smooth breath from her breast.)

 

- Vanille: “The world seems darker than bright. Nonetheless, as I have said numerous times before this miserable age, it is obvious that the peoples of this realm have experienced much more happiness than they have sorrow. That goes for my own and, despite being unwelcome to do so, our work to keep darkness at bay knows no end. We continue to serve as best we can to those that still depend on us.”

 

- (The forest is becoming thinner. More open space is clearing up for the escort to spread out better than being cramped together. A white fog above the grassy ground of the night makes them slightly unintelligible for a moment before they sweep through, causing the mists to sweep away as if fleeing the elves’ waists. The horses whinny lightly as their owners urge them on, cutting their own ways through the fog with the queen’s carriage following them.”

 

- Vanille: “And tonight calls such an act from us now. Tonight, we perform our duty as guardians of this land.”

 

- (The party of elves exit the thick woods finally into a large, circular clearing outlined by Lantier’s thick forests all around. The moon shines overhead with the stars twinkling alongside it within the vast blackness. The clearing is already occupied by other elven forces and a lone warrior in his own cape approaches from the area’s center where a hill is somewhat raised above the forest floor. Vanille’s student dismounts swiftly, sweeps aside his cape, then moves forth to intercept the nearing stranger. The pair meet together halfway between both sources of interest where they seem to converse. Then, they quickly move back towards Vanille’s wagon.)

 

- Vanille: “Tonight, we protect the innocent from possible danger.”

 

- (The elf soldiers mass together into formal lines, facing the wagon. The horse riders dismount. The elves in robes rather than armors await she who sits in the royal carriage who appears to be waiting for something. That question is answered when her student, accompanied by a younger elf, arrives at her wagon’s door to open it with respect. Now allowed to exit from her transport, Vanille gestures for Anders to go first which he does. After him, she steps outside with unmatched grace where everyone present kneels down at once. In sequence, the old elf hidden by his hood presents Delandi’s staff to its rightful master with honor.)

 

- Vanille: “Tonight... we were all unaware that the very balance of this world was about to be tipped by this instant.”

 

- (The elf queen takes her staff from her comrade. She places it firmly down upon the ground with an expression of determination. After this, she looks to those many showing her their respects and gestures for them to rise. They all do so, only after the two caped elves stand straight first.)

 

- Vanille: “Not even I foresaw what was to come with the passing days after this night.”

 

- (With that, the first moments of the game begin for the player to enjoy. They gain control of the queen herself but not at first. A conversation is held between herself, her student with the faded scar, and his young accomplice from the hill. The young elf holds a firefly styled torch that illuminates the scene as things are discussed. The scarred student begins with a bow before actually speaking to his majesty.)

 

- Straar: “Your grace. I hope that the ride was not too uncomfortable for you?”

 

- Vanille: “Not at all, Order Commander Straar K’silvna. If one should be asked of that, it should be you as well as your company at hand.”

 

- Straar: “Your concern is appreciated as always, highness. However, I do believe you know that it is not necessary when we’ve faced much worse. A simple hike is no great feat for my troops when dragons have fallen to their blades over the years.”

 

- Vanille: “Indeed. Then we are both agreed then that the other is not too tired out by the long procession?”

 

- (Straar, Vanille’s student, shakes his head at the inquiry. He continues to speak both carefree while professional at the same time to her with a slight smile.)

 

- Straar: “That we can agree on, of course. Now we may press on with better confidence, yes?”

 

- (At this, Straar turns towards his youthful accomplice present. The younger companion stiffens in nervous apprehension shown on his face when introduced to his queen.)

 

- Straar: “However, I beg a moment of your time, highness, to introduce to you the inspiring captain of the Silver Blade presence currently here to reinforce us. This is Leddon of the Emeral lineage. His parents were both famous for their years of service before passing on due to illness. He is a living memory of them, though, and a grand one at that.”

 

- (In quick movements, the captain of the elf Silver Blade company, Leddon Emeral, falls to a knee in honor. He utters nervously.)

 

- Leddon: “M-my liege! I-it is an honor!”

 

- (Vanille chuckles to herself, a sound of wind chimes almost. She places a hand upon her respectful captain, smiling all the while, to help him to his feet. His expression is still one of entranced awe, no matter how tries to hide it.)

 

- Vanille: “The honor is all mine, Leddon Emeral, son of Mail and Gwen Emeral. Your fulfillment in the task set to you here, as well as those many before now, does your parent’s memories proud. They would be honored to see their son as leader of the elite company, the Silver Blades, as I am. Well done.”

 

- Leddon: “I... Your words humble me, your grace. Not just me but my men and parents too. I-I cannot thank you enough for the blessings.”

 

- (Vanille nods her head after his thanks. Straar notes afterwards with a smile of his own.)

 

- Straar: “Leddon has done well, as we hoped for. Perhaps it is time we extend the choice of being accepted into the order now?”

 

- (Leddon shows utter surprise at the suggestion. He looks between both his superiors with disbelief not only in his expression but his voice too.)

 

- Leddon: “W-what?! You wish to... but this is most unexpected!”

 

- Straar: “As it should be. Those who expect it are not asked. Those who truly deserve the option always show shock, un-expectance, as well as surprise for they do not think of themselves but of others. For what you have done for the order tonight, Leddon, you deserve the choice. You and your men here. Most would have fled this place. However, you remained. Your loyalty to your duty and courage to prevent harm to others is what we seek always.”

 

- Leddon: “So the order... you would actually accept this regiment of Silver Blades into your ranks for standing guard over this hill for the past week?”

 

- Straar: “It’s not that simple, captain. You know full well what lies beneath that hill... a force possibly unstoppable your men could not handle perhaps. Nonetheless, you stayed where you could have fled. Your actions speak loud and the order has heard. Be proud. Not uncertain.”

 

- (Leddon continues to appear to be shocked by the possibility that he could join the fabled Lantierian order. Not just him but his men too. He does not get to speak further about the subject though for Vanille says first.)

 

- Vanille: “It is a grand thing you have done, Leddon. Do not feel pressured either to join us so soon. You are comfortable with the Silver Blades as they may be too. The option is always there for you whenever you wish to answer it. It can be years from now. For the meantime, however, I wish to proceed with what must be done.”

 

- (The sense of purpose returns when Straar nods in agreement and addresses the quiet captain.)

 

- Straar: “Yes. Captain, do not bother yourself with other situations when one as dire as this is before us. If I had known you would be so uncomforted by my news then I would not have-”

 

- Leddon: “No! No, I am honored Order Commander. Your, grace. More so than when you came forward to me with this troubling occasion at hand. Of course, we may move on as you wish. If you would both follow me, please. I will update you as to what has occurred here before your arrival in the meantime.”

 

- (The player is given the tutorial of the game by gaining control of Vanille herself. They are only able to walk with her behind Silver Blade captain, Leddon, as well as beside her student, Order Commander Straar, at the moment. More is to come though as they move pass the silent order elves in formation. Horses snort as the night’s natural music plays. The trio talks as they walk towards a certain spot at the foot of the raised hill in the clearing’s center.)

 

- Leddon: “I must admit... the burden of this duty’s weight has been a heavy one unlike most other assignments I’ve been given. As we have agreed, though, my men have vowed upon their family honors not to breath a word of this to anyone outside. Not even to our fellow elves.”

 

- Straar: “And we have gone over this before, correct? Your men’s tongues are not careless?”

 

- Leddon: “Forgive me, for I am not being rude, but are you men’s, commander?”

 

- Straar: “It is not the same, Leddon. Nothing is outside the order.”

 

- Leddon: “True but, tell me, did you not give this assignment to me for reasons other than just myself? Be honest.”

 

- Straar: “... Yes. That is right.”

 

- Leddon: “And not just that but, if I recall correctly, you just said you would offer each of my men a chance to participate in the order itself. Does that not show you have come to trust them as I have, commander?”

 

- Straar: “... Very well. It seems that you trust your men as deeply as I do mine. It is acceptable.”

 

- Leddon: “I am glad as well as relieved to hear so. I know of mind wiping magics and, though you are experts, I would rather not have that performed on any of the Silver Blade members before you now. They are honorable, loving, respectful, warriors as well as fathers and mothers of families here in Lantier. Memory erasing is too risky to use on such souls. It is not necessary.”

 

- Vanille: “Yes, Leddon. Your actions here are proof enough of what is and isn’t. Your very words are comforting too. You may rest easy knowing the order commander and your queen are satisfied with your assurance.”

 

- Leddon: “Again, I am glad as well as relieved to hear so. Thank you, your majesty.”

 

- (The triage of elves reach the foot of the raised hill where Leddon formerly been when the queen’s forces arrived upon the scene. There is something like an entrance, obviously a way underground as well as forward to parts unknown, only it is blocked by what appears to be roots thicker than anything expected. Leddon looks over them. The captain turns to his duo of companions to slightly bow his head, then say politely.)

 

- Leddon: “If you both would excuse me. The trees will not act by themselves as you know.”

 

- (The elf captain departs with firefly torch held high. He purposefully walks until scaling up onto the hill’s very top which allows him a good 360 degree view all around. Spaced out at the borders of the clearing, where the thick forest takes over, are six trios of Silver Blade soldiers with torches like Leddon’s. They await a command of some kind which is issued by their captain when he waves his own torch slowly through the air over his head. In response, his warriors turn towards the woods to vanish from sight into the darkness amid the tree trunks. They, the six groups, venture forward. At last, they each reach a unique tree, one dramatically bigger than the rest around it. Etched into the titan trees are symbols, something like a diagram or clockwork, which one of the soldiers illuminates for better observation. Another Silver Blade gently removes his armored gauntlet before placing his hand upon the symbol before him. This is repeated by the five other groups at their own trees.)

 

- (Recognizing friend from foe, the gargantuan trees seem to come alive at the touch of the elves. Their branches experience a slight breeze that makes their leaves rustle audibly as they groan a long groan. It is after this that the symbol upon their faces emanate a lightning blue glow followed by lines, something resembling veins, that snake downward until vanish underneath the grassy forest floor. Yet, this proves to be wrong. The blue shine disappears for a slight moment before barely reappearing underground, reaching back towards where the clearing rests. The camera follows the course of the tunneling glow, taking note that there are several breaking off into separate lines, before showing an overhead view of where Vanille’s forces reside. In six directions, where the Silver Blades once stood, soft glows approach the centered hill like twisted hands of some spectral.)

 

- (Leddon, seeing his men’s objectives completed, makes his way back towards the queen with carefree speed. He soon finds his way beside Straar. With that, every eye observes as the clearing becomes somewhat illuminated. It is no longer a dark green shade but ocean floor blue found by the coral reefs. The last unexpected action is where the bluish veins everywhere appear upon the large roots hiding away the hill’s mysterious blocked passage. These lines that gradually snake over the earthy tendrils come to a stop. The pause is long, not broken by any sound nor movement by anyone present. Then, the silence is shattered when the entrance is unblocked as the veined roots unknot from each other. With groans, they pull away from one another, allowing earthen soil plus rocks to fall away in doing so. All becomes quiet again.)

 

- Leddon: “It has been a great many years since I have seen any real remnants of the old magic that our ancestors witnessed every day centuries back. It brightens my spirits to know that the Ents still trust this land enough after years of bloody conflict.”

 

- Straar: “The feeling is mutual, captain. Let us thank them later for their aid in this matter, however.”

 

- Leddon: “Of course. I believe this is where my part comes to an end. Your majesty...”

 

- (Leddon gestures for his two superiors to move on into the unblocked tunnel leading downwards below the land’s skin with grace. Yet, the elf queen shows a small smile before telling him.)

 

- Vanille: “Thank you for everything, captain. You have brought much honor upon your family title as well as protected your homeland with great resolution. I am proud to say you are a brother of mine.”

 

- Leddon: “I thank you, your majesty, for such high praises. However, I and my company did what any elf would. If we are of any more worth in the future... May we perform it well for Lantier and every Lantierian that values her.”

 

- (Vanille observes Leddon kneel in respect to his highness. She places a delicate hand upon his forehead with a appreciative expression which, next, turns serious. The queen merely glances to her former student whom acknowledges the unspoken order with a nod. Straar commands his forces to rally together as his majesty’s assistants, all in robes including the aged elf who had presented Delandi’s staff, hurry to Vanille’s side. The elf queen sweeps towards the passage going underground, her brilliance outlined by the moonlight as she goes. Her order commander hesitates in leading his own men after her to praise the still kneeling Leddon too.)

 

- Straar: “Be proud of what you’ve done here, son. You do realize that it is not only her grace and the order that thanks you... but the entire continent as a whole will come to appreciate your as well as your men’s courage this night in the future, correct?”

 

- Leddon: “I do. It is my duty to protect, sir. As it is yours to keep the balance in this world. Neither of us would be willing to part from these roles we have without guilt. Regardless, it heartens me to hear you say such words, commander. I thank you fully as do my men.”

 

- (Straar shares a nod with Leddon. Then, after turning back to them, the elf knight commander gestures for several of his present forces to follow him inside the uncovered tunnel. The rest of the army not beckoned are to remain on guard for reasons unknown. Those ordered to come forward from the ranks do so in silence. In total a dozen elves of the order join with Straar carrying swords, shields, spears, plus a banner carrier holds his flag close. The tunnel is illuminated within by the same white firefly orbs that blaze from Straar’s knight’s torches at the ready. The source of these orbs is Vanille herself. She is ahead some distance, aided by her assistants while casting spells with her staff that create the torch lights. Each summoned illumination is rested against the walls of the tunnel. There the firefly orbs remain suspended in midair, brightening the dark surroundings brilliantly. In moments, Straar closes the distance between himself and his monarch. At his side march the twelve decorated elf warriors.)

 

- (The scene remains the same as everyone traverses through the rugged underground tunnel leading further beneath the land’s skin. As she casts her magic, Vanille speaks to her knight commander.)

 

- Vanille: “Straar, if you would join me, please.”

 

- (Straar shows a little surprise at the request. However, he changes back to his normal self instantly to tell his troops to stay vigilant of the rear of the formation while he heads to the lead to join his majesty. When at her actual side, the knight commander notices his queen gesture to her oldest companion, the one in the carriage with her, to back off some steps for privacy. In respect, the elderly elf forces the assistants back some paces to fulfill the wish. Now given some space, Vanille begins to talk.)

 

- Vanille: “You did well in trusting in Captain Leddon, Straar. You have my gratitude in choosing that man for this job.”

 

- Straar: “Thank you, highness.”

 

- Vanille: “Yet, why should I be surprised by this? After all-”

 

- (The elf queen glances to her knight commander in thought. She smiles a small smile while her eyes twinkle in the surrounding luminosity. She’s thought of a certain memory.)

 

- Vanille: “- you once knew me as teacher instead of queen. My, how things change with time.”

 

- (Straar bows his head slightly at the praise from his ruler, former teacher. He continues to follow her lead, pausing every so often to allow her to cast another ball of light, but speaks his own mind respectfully.)

 

- Straar: “The feeling is mutual, your majesty. Time does have an incredible way of changing things, indeed. Much has come and gone throughout the years since the gods decided the fate of our world. Chaos’s children, the demons, have been purged. Their vanquishers, the dragons, have been banished. Thus, our peoples, the mortals, have come to be in control of the continent for the past century since the end of Reckoning.”

 

- (Straar looks to his queen when he finishes. Then, he seriously adds.)

 

- Straar: “It was also at the end of Reckoning that you were elected to lead this troubled world into another golden age, head the Lantierian Order, and keep the balance as Delandi had done before you. A troubling task... but, if you will permit me, I believe you have done it well.”

 

- (Vanille hesitates in lighting another firefly orb. Straar finishes his thoughts.)

 

- Straar: “And I know that I am not the only one that thinks that today, highness.”

 

- (Vanille observes her former student with deep thought. After a moment of this, she smiles at him with the great gratitude before completing her task at hand. When done, she walks onward, only with a blank expression now instead of her previous glow a second ago. She is thinking over her knight commander’s words.)

 

- Vanille: “ And you should know that it is not only through my efforts but many in Lantier that our world has remained peaceful throughout these many years. Despite the increasing difficulty of the matter. Since the fall of the dragons along with their king, Geddon, I feel our position over the other mortals as their protectors is becoming blurred to them. They fight us over everything we do. Where there was once trust, there is little. Where there were once friends, there are enemies. Where there was recovery, there is now poverty.”

 

- (Straar’s expression harden. He states firmly.)

 

- Straar: “All misfortunes not brought about by your actions, your majesty. The growing number of miseries for the common folk these days are due to their superiors whom have cast a shadow over the minds of their subjects. It is because of the greed of this world that it faces the approaching crisis we elves have hoped to avoid.”

 

- (Vanille appears torn. She brings another light to life before moving on. Finally, she speaks again with a certain kind of wisdom.)

 

- Vanille: “Our kind was born from humanity. Thus, mankind feels it essential to be admitted into the teachings of the arcane arts whenever they please due to their “royal bloodlines”. Dwarves are the same, thinking that being the richest earns them a place here. It is a shame. They do not understand why we accept the poorest thief, a young man who fends for his family against the odds without thought for himself, rather than select a noble who has or can have everything in the world.”

 

- Straar: “No, your highness. It is not that they don’t understand, they simply do not WANT to understand. They have everything but one particular item. Magic and, since we refuse their corrupted hearts, they see if fit to retaliate where they have no position to do so. The lantierian order has done the land no ill deed.”

 

- Vanille: “Of course, Straar. However, in our current position, we can do nothing against those who burden us with conflicts. If we were to do so, it would only prove their point, making us more enemies outside of Lantier.”

 

- Straar: “Yes, your majesty. I am aware. We are to remain silent as shadows now where our teachings were once sought at as much as the jewels beneath the Ornamarn mountains in the past... We are to act as parents parenting a spoiled child.”

 

- (Vanille smiles at the dull tone in her former student’s voice. She keeps herself from laughing.)

 

- Vanille: “Correct, and, when that day comes, we shall accept those looking for forgiveness with open arms.”

 

- Straar: “Another reason you were chosen to be Delandi’s heir, highness, is due to your endless amounts of patience as well as mercy. I don’t suppose the dragon order before us would have been as understanding as you are with traitors.”

 

- (Vanille shakes her head at the remark. Her features became solemn.)

 

- Vanille: “I follow the teachings of the dragons as you do, Straar. Before they corrupted, their kind was the most respected as well as the most respectful civilization throughout the continent. They understood that there were traitors, of course. However, they also understood that there were victims of those traitors that deserved a second chance. Just because people reject us, it doesn’t mean it is their choosing. They are afraid and their fear is driven upon them by a higher power. The higher power, therefore, is the real cause of the conflict.”

 

- (Vanille looks to her following knight commander to state seriously.)

 

- Vanille: “There are those who use and are used. I believe you knew that already though.”

 

- (Straar bows his head again in respect. He confirms his former teacher’s wonders.)

 

- Straar: “Of course. I may speak blindly at times. Forgive me.”

 

- Vanille: “There is nothing to forgive, Straar. After years of working together since student and teacher, now as queen and knight commander, I know that you know what is right. I am well aware of what your heart tells you day to day. You have no hate. Only wisdom.”

 

- (Straar thanks his queen for her kind words. After what seems to be at least a half hour, an illuminated exit can be seen now to the end of the tunnel some distance ahead. A soft, neon blue glow emanates from there. Thanks to this new source of illumination, Vanille only has to bring about another firefly ball to be done. Once complete with her spell, she makes for the exit with a long line of lantierian elves following her. She says to Straar.)

 

- Vanille: “As you said, time has changed much for this world. At one time, it was ruled by gods. Then by a goddess and, now, the task has fallen unto the elves. Where there were once demons, there are none. Dragons once ruled the south, now they are merely ruined fragments of what they truly were a century ago. The land once experienced prosperity but now it only witnesses downfall.”

 

- Straar: “The Mortal Age has been replaced by the Ignorant Age, correct?”

 

- (Vanille shares a stare with her knight commander who remains serious about his former statement. He inquires further.)

 

- Straar: “There may be innocents throughout the continent, your majesty, but that doesn’t excuse the unfortunate shift in attitude. Reason has been replaced with blindness.”

 

- Vanille: “Indeed. I recall hearing the court speak of such things before my departure... Yet, we cannot encourage such behavior, Straar. No matter how ignorant people may be today, we can’t give up on them nor throw such trivial jokes in their direction. This is not the time.”

 

- Straar: “Of course, your majesty. I apologize.”

 

- Vanille: “No need. You truly speak what is on everyone’s minds but, in the end, is it not stronger of us to hold true to what has been for the past hundred years or give in to the mood that is swarming our kingdoms? Will you scold the balance, like they, or protect it?”

 

- Straar: “Protect it above all else.”

 

- (Lantier’s queen nods her head at the answer from her knight commander. It is an answer she would not only expect from him but from everyone in her kingdom’s order. Satisfied, she looks to the exit of the tunnel and steps out of the earthy passage into an ancient plaza. The open area is a underground ruin constructed from stone with plant growth partially covering sections out of sight from those appearing from the channel. The source of the luminosity in the new area is due to more tree roots, similar to the ones that had hidden the tunnel’s entrance beforehand, with their veins of blue shining brightly. Nevertheless, the elf queen summons firefly orbs to dance around the head of her staff for better illumination. Her magical assistants create similar balls of light, only they create one instead of three.)

 

- (Vanille focuses onto a door ahead hidden away behind a thick wall of tree roots belonging to the ents described earlier. The only part of the entry allowed to be seen is its center where, carved into the stone slab acting as a gate,  is a symbol that resembles the one’s outside on the surface upon the ents. She allows Straar to organize his troops after the march while she nears the blocked off door with her followers trailing her. With a wave of her hand, the aids pause to let the queen go on alone. Vanille passes by a root, unaware as she does so, which shifts from being blue to angry red. Before the rooted stone door now, she lifts her hand to place it against the etched emblem. Nothing happens. Something is wrong. It is shown the queen’s expression when she tries again. A second time, nothing occurs.)

 

- Vanille: “Straar?”

 

- (Straar turns away from his forces at the request for him. He answers curiously.)

 

- Straar: “Yes, your highness?”

 

- (Vanille’s own features are curious too but in a disturbed way when he efforts to open the door are rejected for a third time. She scans the ent roots keeping her from venturing onward, narrowing her eyes while she does so. The symbol upon the back of her right hand, the way she can use magic, glows.)

 

- Vanille: “Something is wrong here. Come and-”

 

- (The angry red ent root from beforehand, still not noticed, stirs at Vanille’s feet. She glances downwards at the movement. Instantly, she figures out what is about to happen moments ahead of time. She lifts her magical hand. It radiates its powers into the staff, creating a brilliant shield wall as every root present in front of her becomes red. The irritated roots strike at her from the door, driving her backwards. Then, they resume blocking the way forward. More roots burrow forward from all directions. Rapidly, the elf forces are surrounded but they’re quick to retaliate. Straar’s soldiers have their weapons drawn as he shouts out.)

 

- Straar: “Prepare to defend yourselves, brothers of the order! Things have taken an ill turn!”

 

- (One of Vanille’s assistants, a maid, cries at the sign of weapons.)

 

- Maid: “No! We can’t harm the ents!”

 

- (An order soldier, distracted by the disapproving maiden, doesn’t see a root strike at him until the last second. He is barely able to deflect the assault with his shield but is knocked off his feet as another of his fellows is attacked. With a concentrated face, Straar evades the root targeting him and strikes in reply. His silver halberd slashes the furious plant perfectly, slicing the earthy tentacle in two. Twisting as if in pain, the root returns to being blue veined before retreating back into the soil. Straar shows a pained face at seeing an ent injured.)

 

- Straar: “There is some sort of misunderstanding! Your majesty-”

 

- Vanille: “I am already attempting to figure things out, knight commander. These ents are not acting normally. The magic here in the Sanctuary is being warped through means I think we’re aware of. It is why we are here now.”

 

- (Another root strikes one of the queen’s mages, making the elf fly off his feet with a yelp into a nearby soldier. The roots smash another elf warrior aside into the wall roughly. Another mage is actually grabbed by the leg and dragged but Straar frees the victim with a precise execution downwards. Regaining his breath, the knight commander helps the startled mage up onto her feet while saying hastily.)

 

- Straar: “That can’t be! The prisoner can’t have gained such dominance over the tree guardians in a matter of two weeks! Sanctuary is better than that!”

 

- Vanille: “Sadly, it seems they’re not. I feared something such as this would occur. We have forgotten how truly powerful the dragons were during the Reckoning. Their fire torched numerous ents.”

 

- (A root actually tries to strike Vanille but her spell protection holds strong against the vicious assault. The attack rings out with a loud “boom” when connecting with the magical shell. She shifts from a blank face to being focused as she tightly grips her staff with both hands in front of her. She states out loud.)

 

- Vanille: “However, I will not allow the dragon fire to claim these tree guardians. It makes me feel no gladness in making you do so, Straar, but you must combat the ents until I am prepared to cast a counter spell upon them.”

 

- Straar: “But, your highness, the ents have done us no-”

 

- (Vanille fixes a serious glare upon her former student at his intended words. She cuts him off.)

 

- Vanille: “They’re not themselves right now and they will understand afterwards! They would rather have us do this then allow them to be controlled! Come! Gather your men as well as your spirits and protect the land of Lantier by aiding me further into Sanctuary! Only through that can we make it to the dragon within and end the source of this curse!”

 

- (Despite his queen’s words, knight commander Straar continues to wear an expression of indecision. He reluctantly shouts orders to his fellow fighters who are also unsure of themselves as to what to do. They are to hold Sanctuary. They are to defend Lantier. They are to rise up against the odds and drive away the present evil around them. Seeing their leader coming to a decision himself, the order knights gather their courage. Through their combined efforts, the elves fight off the corrupted ents as Vanille gains energy for her intended spell. Straar precisely hacks a root tentacle swiping at him. One of his followers slashes his sword through another ent root that has a hold of his shield arm. A magical aid of the queen’s casts a flamethrower like spell upon the nearest root with a yell. Anders, even though elderly, brings forth a number of magic barriers that protect several of his allies from being dealt hurtful blows. After this, he shatters the shields to have the particles shoot into the attackers. In response, the speared ent roots jerkily retreat from the brilliant counterattack.)

 

- (The focus snaps back onto Lantier’s ruler as she whispers to herself. For another few minutes, with the attention on the queen, the battle continues between the order and Sanctuary. Elves are knocked off their feet, slammed against surfaces, even bodily thrown all around Vanille. Even so, she does not lose concentration. Straar performs an impressive spin of his pole axe to take out a duo of roots assaulting him, leaps over a third, then barely manages to dodge a fourth angry ent by jumping back. A fifth tree guardian swings at the knight commander to miss. However, it causes the elf to lose his grip on his weapon. Both he and the halberd scatter across the stone floor of the plaza. This leave Straar defenseless against the roots rushing him. Nonetheless, it is not expect when he evades one tentacle. Then another and another. With swift reflexes, rolls, turns, plus jumps, the knight commander makes it back to where his weapon gleams against the aged stone. Finishing the distance between them with a roll, Straar snatches up the pole axe to turn about against that pursuing him. Numerous tree guardians engage him and, despite his furious strikes, they swarm him. First they disable his weapon arm, then constrict around his form to begin squeezing the life from him. In a growing sense of dismay at possible death, the elf shouts out.)

 

- Straar: “No! Your majesty - Agh! - time is - ugh! - GONE!”

 

- (The roots wrap around Straar tighter and as he tries to get into a better position for some way to free himself they continue to gradually crush him. A bone of his pops underneath his armor and his expression hardens with pain. He restrains himself from giving into showing the emotion but attempts to look around. All he can really view from his spot are his own soldiers being overwhelmed too by the ents. There are so many it is unbelievable considering how many the order forces had struck down. Now, the tide of battle had turned for the worse. What the knight commander doesn’t see is Anders nearby. The old mage is burning away tree guardians with a fearsome glint in his gray eyes. He easily disposes of several roots that intercept him, then unleashes a powerful inferno upon those holding the knight commander. In violent shakes, the roots release their suffering victim to fall away as partial ash. Breathless as well as hurt, Straar looks to his savior with gratitude plain on his expression. Coughing, he accepts Ander’s help to get up. The old elf speaks for the first time. His tone is one of experience and coolness.)

 

- Straar: “Anders? Quite the timing, friend. I was about to be turned into a pulp.”

 

- Anders: “I noticed, knight commander. However, I doubt the queen would be pleased to see you suffer such a fate as the one you just described. Thus, that explains my course of actions to come to your aid.”

 

- (Straar gives his old companion an amused expression through his cringes. He purposefully asks.)

 

- Straar: “Only the queen would have found me being turned into a pulp disheartening?”

 

- Anders: “No. Your men, myself too, would be affected.”

 

- (Again, Straar shows amusement at the old elf’s robotic, blank expression while expressing the miserable thoughts if the knight commander were to die. The elf starts humorously.)

 

- Straar: “Affected? You would be-Agh!”

 

- (At Straar’s sudden exclamation along with flinch, Anders eyes his partner seriously. He notices the knight commander clutching at his left shoulder where the bone had popped while being crushed by the hostile tree guardians. Before he can hide the pained expression from him, Anders reads the signs as well as Straar’s mind.)

 

- Anders: “Be still, knight commander. You’re hurt. Allow me to heal your shoulder.”

 

- (Straar doesn’t look ready to cooperate. He looks around at the battle going on all around where his men are being beaten down roughly. In anger, he begins to argue.)

 

- Straar: “I am fine, sage. There is no need to bother when time is running-”

 

- Anders: “You will allow me to heal you, boy. That way we can both avoid possibly losing a valuable Lantierian order leader as well as keep her majesty’s best support in these dark times. Understand?”

 

- (Without waiting, the elder mage keeps his target in place to begin operations. On the back of Ander’s wrinkled right hand is the order’s symbol that blinks with a soft white glow of light. The sparkle leaves the magic wielder’s hand to radiate against Straar’s injured shoulder. Now, instead of Ander’s open hand,  the knight commander’s shoulder radiates with a soft brilliance. Even though feeling the injury healing, Straar seems not to want to remain still as the yells of his men being hit ring out around him. He observes one of his soldiers be smashed against the nearest stone surface, then collapse in silence.)

 

- Anders: “Remain still, knight commander. I am not yet done.”

 

- Straar: “To the abyss with that! My men need me!”

 

- (Anders betters his grip on the impatient elf when he stirs to move away towards battle. He steely glares at his patient and wisely states.)

 

- Anders: “Your men need you, yes. Not wounded though. At your best.”

 

- (A root throws a soldier aside, spots the conflicted duo of elves, then charges eagerly. Straar readies his halberd but Anders pushes the weapon aside to lazily aim his free hand at the approaching threat. A fireball launches from his fingers with a puff of sparks along with smoke, catching the speeding tree guardian violently with an explosion on impact. As the flaming root flees, the sage returns to his task.)

 

- Straar: “If you don’t go any faster than more of the ents will take advantage of our flaws!”

 

- Anders: “Perhaps yours, knight commander. However, in my company, you have nothing to fear.”

 

- (Another root attacks from behind the two bickering elves. Without looking, the old sage lifts a hand aimed behind him towards the attacker. The ent is hit with another fireball like the first beforehand. On fire, it burrows back underground.)

 

- Anders: “Therefore, cease your prepared excuses to rejoin the battle. It will only prove futile.”

 

- (Straar shows a bit of frustration towards his rescuer. He mutters under his breath supposedly.)

 

- Straar: “Miserable old goat of an elf. Oof!”

 

- (Anders smacks his patient across the top of the head at the comment without any sign of enjoyment or annoyance but keeps a blank expression. After this, he resumes healing while stating too.)

 

- Anders: “Patience is a virtue. I am almost done.”

 

- Straar: “That’s what you’ve been telling me for the past series of moments!”

 

- Anders: “Well, this time it is true. Although-”

 

- (The sage looks to where Vanille is building her spell’s strength. His eyes narrow and he returns to the healing process while finishing softly.)

 

- Anders: “-I doubt you will have to do little after this. With the power level she’s at, here majesty will unleash the spell in a moment or so.”

 

- (Straar glares back to where the tree guardians are seriously wounding his men. He grits his teeth as well as tightens the hold he has on the handle of his weapon. He states coldly.)

 

- Straar: “If you hadn’t noticed, every moment that passes is at the cost of an elf!”

 

- (Anders glances around at the conflict. He remains un-phased.)

 

- Anders: “No, your men are holding together rather well against such a surprise attack. They are hardened veterans that have seen much worse than this. Your mind is merely playing tricks on you, knight commander, because of worry. Have faith. There will be injuries but, after this, we will regroup and have a better foothold as a result.”

 

- (Anders hand symbol dims away as does the illumination coating Straar’s wound. The knight commander tests out the formerly hurt shoulder to find, with satisfaction, that it no longer ails him like it did earlier. The sage nods to himself as his patient betters the grip he has on his halberd. Then, the elder elf notices a change in the air. He looks to where Vanille is.)

 

- Anders: “Ah. It is complete. The incantation is ready as is her majesty.”

 

- (At Ander’s remark, Straar too looks to where his queen has become a motionless shining figure of light. She is effectively protected by her magical dome as numerous roots pound away at her with intense ferocity. They cannot touch her. As the sounds of battle continue around them, both the queen’s sage and knight commander watch her in intensely as she begins the progression of letting loose the built up energy she has stored. It is a rather quick procedure. The elf queen’s eyes open suddenly, showing a distinct pair of emerald spots against the whiteness, as she lifts up her staff. After looking to the ground at her feet, Vanille sharply pounds the goddess’s stick against the stone floor to shoot out a massive shockwave blast that resembles closely to white fire. The hostile tree guardians, defending order members, elf, everything is blinded from sight for a second. As a result, everything slows to a stop. The ent roots freeze in whatever it is they were about to do. The remaining order soldiers plus mages who are standing nervously stop what they were going to do also. They watch the indecisive tree guardians shift from furious red to calm blue. Then, a root burrows away. More follow and, after a matter of seconds, the order is left alone in the plaza. The once blocked door splits down the middle. It grinds apart into the walls, allowing another hallway to be seen. It leads further into the mysterious Sanctuary which everyone present eyes cautiously.)

 

- Anders: “Impressive as always. She’ll never lose her touch with the arcane arts.”

 

- (Straar turns to Anders at the remark. He adds boldly.)

 

- Straar: “She just displayed why everyone in the past elected her to be the next goddess over the land when it needed one. Besides, you’re always with her, Anders. Why are you surprised?”

 

- Anders: “One cannot be unsurprised in the presence of she who is called the goddess, knight commander. Awe is also another trait that her majesty was elected for in the past.”

 

- (The order knight commander lowers his halberd to stand in a more relaxed stance as he looks around at the damage to his unit with a concerned expression. He answers Anders quietly.)

 

- Straar: “Indeed. Too bad time has made folk forget that.”

 

- (Then, Straar leaves the elderly elf to rally his men best he can back together from the attack. Some are physically ailed. Others show mental injuries from shock, fear, defeat. As this goes on, Anders leads his own followers in aiding the wounded with healing arts. In total, seven of the knights are downed with wounds. Three of the mages barely survived. The rest of the party are healthy although somewhat depressed. Vanille looks down the newly opened hallway for a pause before joining with her loyal followers. She helps in the healing without speaking a word for some time. It isn’t until Straar nears her that she breaks the silence.)

 

- Vanille: “The Sanctuary is twisted further on as it is here. The dragon’s influence has seeped into the guardians over the last two weeks while we have... taken our time.”

 

- Straar: “This is not believable. Such power over a remnant of the old magic... How?”

 

- (Vanille doesn’t answer at first. Her expression shows she is consumed by deep thought as well as pain at seeing how others have suffered. She finally stands and turns to Anders.)

 

- Vanille: “We must get the wounded away from here as quickly as possible.”

 

- (The queen next seriously turns to Straar.)

 

- Vanille:  “Once that is accomplished, the task of invasion is ahead. I’m afraid we will need to call upon captain Leddon and his division of the Silver Blade one more time if they are willing. I know your men are strong, Straar, but there may not be enough to delve or supply me with enough time to cast my magic.”

 

- (Straar looks towards where they had come from before with determination. He states.)

 

- Straar: “He will be willing, highness. As for his men... I really do not know.”

 

- (The elf queen shows understanding as well as concern. She blinks her eyes.)

 

- Vanille: “We have asked much of them already... It pains me to do so more but there is no other option at hand. I was afraid of this possibility and knew I should have brought more of the order but-”

 

- Anders: “The court would have sensed something wrong, your highness. You have effectively done what can where can and things are not so bad.”

 

- (Vanille doesn’t show reassurance at her oldest sage’s words. She would have smiled a small smile probably but her eyes are drawn to the hurt order soldiers and mages. She looks towards the newly opened passageway ahead.)

 

- Vanille: “No, they are not. However, if we do not succeed here then they surely will become terribly worse not only for us but for Lantier as a whole.”

 

- (Anders rests a gentle hand onto his queen’s right shoulder. This is actually the first time he shows real emotion towards someone, though his words remain quite mechanic while he speaks.)

 

- Anders: “You have done what you can where you can, your majesty. It definitely could have been poorer fortune than what we currently just experienced.”

 

- (Vanille doesn’t share a stare with Anders at his words. Instead, she inhales deeply to regain herself. Then, she states while looking ahead towards Sanctuary’s deeper depths.)

 

- Vanille: “He has grown impatient and he has a right to be so in the end. However, I will not allow this to end in such a cursed way. The dragon calls and, with all my power behind me, I shall answer it on behalf of the elves. For good or ill, I shall answer IT.”

 

- (The elf queen orders from her knight commander with newfound determination showing in both her voice as well as her eyes.)

 

- Vanille: “It is time, Straar. Once we have the wounded away and what reinforcements we can get from the present Silver Blade, I will be relying on you more than any other time in the past before now. Do you understand?”

 

- (Straar bows his head in understanding.)

 

- Straar: “I do, highness.”

 

- Vanille: “Thank you. Also, you, Anders-”

 

- (Anders, too, bows his head in complete understanding.)

 

- Anders: “You have had, and always will have, my full support throughout life, majesty. I will be your shield against the coming struggles.”

 

- (Vanille nods to both of her assistants. She turns to those around her, the order knights plus mages, who uncertainly watch her from their spots all around. She glances from one to the other, taking note of their forced courage. Inside, they most likely do not know what to expect in the future and this frightens them like anyone. However, they are dearly needed more than ever suspected. Thus, their queen questions, almost pleads, of them.)

 

- Vanille: “And all of you... You came here knowing the possible dangers. Regardless, you gave up your own safety for others and still came. That is why you were selected over all others to join the order. That is why you are here with me tonight. Yet, it is not only me that drives you. It is also your homeland as well as Peace himself that encourages you to continue to do what you just did. Defend that which is worthy of defending no matter the cost.”

 

- (Vanille extends her free hand in a gesture of hope to those closely watching her.)

 

- Vanille: “I know that we have been hurt. However, we cannot stop here. This darkness, this chaos, it must be rooted out and I know I have the means to do so. Yet, I cannot perform the task alone as you just heard. Therefore, though you’ve done much already, can I request your aid a bit longer. Can I ask you to help me protect that which needs protection? Can I ask of you to stay at my side a while longer through the shadows?”

 

- (At once, an helmed order knight draws his sword from its sheathe and, dramatically in respect, places the weapon point down before him against the stone floor while he kneels onto one knee. Straar feels heartened to see one of his soldiers do this without hesitation. The queen shares the feeling too when she exchanges a relieved glance with the knight commander. After the first soldier kneels a second soldier after a moment. A nearby mage folds his hands together in prayer and bows his head towards his ruler honorably. His actions are copied as his fellow magic wielders do the same after him quickly. In moments, the remaining order forces have sworn their allegiance to she who seeks it and she shows great gratitude.)

 

- Vanille: “Without end, I thank you all.”

 

- (Straar steps forward seriously.)

 

- Straar: “Not only does her majesty but so do I. Your knight commander-”

 

- (Anders nods his head at the purposeful glance he receives from Straar.)

 

- Straar: “- as well as your archmage are deeply relieved to see our faiths in you were not at all  misplaced.”

 

- (Somewhere in the kneeling ranks, a soldier actually firmly states out loud.)

 

- Order Soldier: “And your faiths in us never will be misplaced, sir!”

 

- (At this several other order soldiers kind of get caught up in the moment, raise their swords up together, and proudly shout coherently.)

 

- Order Soldiers: “For Peace, we serve! For her majesty, we defend! For Lantier, we fight!”

 

- (The inspiration into the moment causes the elves to do their tasks with energy. They quickly gather their wounded together, carefully help them up onto their feet or into carrying positions, then start marching back towards the surface. Before Straar joins his troops, he pauses to speak with Anders about a certain matter.)

 

- Anders: “You will personally ask more assistance of captain Leddon then, knight commander?”

 

- Straar: “That is correct. I will return as quickly as possible with as many men from the Silver Blades as I can. It is clear now that time is against us.”

 

- (The knight commander points at the archmage.)

 

- Straar: “You had best-”

 

- Anders: “Have you already forgotten who it was that rescued you from that rather tight situation you were grappled up in moments ago with the tree guardians? Not to worry, boy. I am capable of keeping her highness safe if things become so dire. I doubt they will but still...”

 

- (Straar shows amusement at the old elf’s statement. He hesitates before starting.)

 

- Straar: “About that tight situation. Anders, I haven’t-”

 

- (Anders shakes his head with a soft laugh. He shows a bit of emotion by smiling.)

 

- Anders: “There is no need to thank me, boy, nor apologize for your behavior. You show care for your men. That is what makes you the respected knight commander today and me the soulless master of magic incapable of understanding a soldier’s honor. Has it not always been that way?”

 

- (Straar’s expression hardens. He states.)

 

- Straar: “That is not true. No other magic wielder, apart for her highness, is as praised as you are today within the order. Also, no other is as close to her majesty as you are.”

 

- (Anders’s smile seems to get bigger. He bows his head.)

 

- Anders: “Perhaps. Yet, that is also untrue. I am not the only one so close to her majesty, boy.”

 

- Straar: “Hmf. Fine. Always superior to me at everything, as always.”

 

- Anders: “If you say so, my boy. If you say so. Also...”

 

- (Anders connects gazes with Straar. The old elf wisely says.)

 

- Anders: “If you insist, which I know you shall, your apology is accepted and, don’t worry, your unruly behavior as a commander during battle will remain hushed. Nothing will come of it.”

 

- (Straar actually smiles with the sage getting the best of him. He extends a friendly hand that Anders takes. Both companions of the order shake a firm shake before the knight commander turns away towards the tunnel leading out of sanctuary. Before he steps into the tunnel, he senses something. When he looks back into the stone plaza, Vanille is watching him from beside the opened prison passage. Straar waves a hand to her in a reassurance that things will be alright and shouts determinedly, repeating his soldiers’ words.)

 

- Straar: “For Peace, we serve! For her majesty, we defend! For Lantier, we fight!”

 

- (In reply to the rallying call, Vanille cannot help but feel inspired. She half smiles while lifting her staff up into the softly illuminated air as her knight commander does with his hand. Then, the order commander vanishes into the tunnel leading upwards at a slight slant. He follows his soldiers whom hoist injured onto their shoulders or act as supports for those who can’t walk all too well. Ander’s chosen mages lead the group, expected to resume healing when getting out of underground. For a long duration, the group walks. Finally, they emerge into the clear air to be welcomed by several surprised silver blades. They show even more shock at seeing the state of the emerging order members when Straar approaches them.)

 

- Straar: “Silver Blades. Where is captain Leddon?”

 

- (Out of the observing trio, a soldier nervously answers.)

 

- Silver Blade #1: “Captain Leddon, sir?”

 

- Straar: “Yes.”

 

- Silver Blade #1: “Uh, he is... He’s checking up on the parties keeping watch over the ent locks around the clearing, sir!”

 

- Straar: “Very well. Soldier, I need you to get the captain for me. Tell him to come back to Sanctuary’s entrance where I’ll be waiting for him. After you do that, go to the parties keeping watch on the ents and tell them to gather at the crest of the hill.”

 

- (The silver blade being given orders is distracted by the sight of the mages healing the hurt. He jumps when Straar pats him on the shoulder.)

 

- Silver Blade #1: “Oh! Um, pardon sir?”

 

- Straar: “I’ll be honest with you three. Things have taken a turn underground in the prison. I need captain Leddon as soon as possible along with your fellow fighters. Find me the captain and tell your friends to gather at the top of the hill behind us.”

 

- (Another Silver Blade looks from the knight commander to his wounded soldiers at the revealed news. He shows uncertainty in his tone of voice.)

 

- Silver Blade #2: “Took a turn?... So, is that what happened to them?”

 

- Straar: “Things will be explained but to everyone. The sooner you do what I’ve asked of you then the sooner you’ll learn about what is going on. Now, please, let’s move!”

 

- (At Straar’s forceful order, the three Silver Blade knights scatter across the clearing towards where the ent locks visible reside amongst the thick jumble of forest trees. The knight commander places one of his knights in charge of the group currently healing and walks to the top of the hill to wait for his requests to be made reality. Gradually, his questions start to be answered. It can be seen all around that the soldiers sent on errands are making progress. A number of trickles consisting of Silver Blade warriors from numerous directions are coming towards the hill. One figure from the north actually runs the length until with the waiting knight commander. Captain Leddon recovers from his dash, then says.)

 

- Leddon: “K-knight commander Straar, sir? What has happened?”

 

- Straar: “Relax captain. Gather yourself and we’ll discuss that as your men come together. Anyway, I think that you can guess what has occurred.”

 

- Leddon: “So, I might know... what you’re talking about already, eh? Very well, I’ll catch my breath then while you explain.”

 

- Straar: “And your soldiers? Are they-”

 

- (Captain Leddon nods before the knight commander can finish. He says through huffs.)

 

- Leddon: “They are coming to the hill as you have instructed. The soldier who came to me described your arrival from underground. Had an unfortunate turn then?”

 

- (The Silver Blades are nearing the hill. More of their forms can be seen with each passing minute. Time is precious. Things must happen. So, while keeping lookout for the soldiers coming to him, Straar explains the series of events that have occurred within Sanctuary.)

 

- Straar: “It is as we feared, captain. The signs your scout described to us several days ago that brought us here now confirm that the ents are having trouble with their guest. More so than two weeks ago when he first arrived.”

 

- (Captain Leddon pauses for a moment. He stares up at the knight commander with curiosity.)

 

- Leddon: “The ents are having trouble then? Clarify?”

 

- Straar: “My men are in the shape they’re in now because the dragon being held within the tree guardian’s prison below our feet, Sanctuary, corrupted the keepers.”

 

- (The Silver Blade captain continues to look confused. He says.)

 

- Leddon: “Corrupted... the keepers?”

 

- (Leddon suddenly stands, glances at the ground below him, then at the forest too, before finishing by turning to the group of wounded order soldiers being tended too. He breathes out, understanding in his voice now.)

 

- Leddon: “The keepers corrupted. Hm. So, clarify further. How exactly does that connect to your soldiers being so bashed up?”

 

- (Straar adopts a serious expression while crossing his arms. He explains.)

 

- Straar: “I should start back to when I first came to you to ask about this certain duty of looking over Sanctuary. Your unit of Silver Blade soldiers were selected mainly due to you but also to their very decorated pasts. They resembled you in more than one way that the order favored, captain. In courage and justice they excelled really. Thus, reinforced by this knowledge, my organization took the chance in trusting you. You already know of me visiting you with new orders from her majesty.”

 

- (Captain Leddon nods.)

 

- Leddon: “Yes. Two weeks ago, you found me out along Lantier’s western border looking out over Grassea. You updated me on the event, including the imprisoned dragon, and told me, due to the dark days we’re experiencing, the order was asking me to take up the guard duty. It was an honor and, with your numbers thinned out, I couldn’t really refuse such an offer. My soldiers couldn’t either when I revealed it to them later.”

 

- Straar: “Note that that was two weeks ago. The order entrusted this area to you then and to keep watch over it until her highness arrived.”

 

- (Leddon glances at his superior curiously. He admits.)

 

- Leddon: “That I also remember too. It would have made anyone curious as to why you took two weeks to get here if a dragon was the subject. Most any mortal would be as quick as possible to focus on it. Yet, your letter back to me after my update three days ago also suggested that you had reason for the delay. Care to explain?”

 

- (Straar turns to his companion thoughtfully. He honestly states.)

 

- Straar: “As her highness says, all will be brought into the light with time, friend. I kindly ask for your patience and to remember that some business belongs only in the order. I can say that the delay was for a good cause and, when you sent a scout saying there were mysterious signs in Sanctuary, we expected something to happen. However, we had hoped for more time than given. We now are faced with a situation that we have prepped for and hope to solve for the better.”

 

- (The Silver Blade captain doesn’t lose his curious expression, even when told not to pursue conversation not meant to be discussed. Still, he obeys the request with a nod of his head but says firmly.)

 

- Leddon: “This we both know. I do not completely understand, however, how it connects to the situation at hand. You haven’t answered me on how your men got badly hurt.”

 

- Straar: “Again, note that fourteen days of the sun season have passed thus far since I came to you about the dragon being imprisoned. Think back on the Reckoning and the terrible power the strongest of mortals commanded. We have forgotten much... The dragon has infected Sanctuary, taken control of the ents, and used the tree guardians against my men. You see the result of the battle there.”

 

- (At this, the knight commander painfully gestures towards where Anders’s mages are healing the unfortunate. The Silver Knights are gathered around in the background, muttering to each other about the injured order soldiers. Captain Leddon exhales, shows concern, then shifts into more confusion.)

 

- Leddon: “The dragon took over the ents... I thought they were stronger than that.”

 

- Straar: “Exactly. It explains the surprise in the actual attack as well as our lowered guard when we entered the first door chamber underground. We realized there had been signs that things were happening in Sanctuary due to your updates but... we didn’t expect it to be this.”

 

- Leddon: “But, during the Reckoning, hundreds of tree guardians went up in blazes to dragon fire, yes. Yet, there were just as many that could defend themselves against doom. This doesn’t seem right at all.”

 

- (Captain Leddon shows astonishment next. He states.)

 

- Leddon: “Wait... if you say you entered the first door chamber leading into the prison itself... for one, you didn’t even make it that far underground and, two, the prisoner nearly had himself free by the time you arrived an hour ago!”

 

- Straar: “Perhaps. However, it would be natural that the dragon face the most opposition against the ent lock keepers.”

 

- (At this, the knight commander and silver blade captain look around at the surrounding forest where the giant trees with symbols, the ones that unlocked Sanctuary to begin with, rest.)

 

- Straar: “I assure you, they are not easily overcome but we couldn’t risk them. When we heard that there were things going on in Sanctuary, we thought of the lock keepers. That explains our quick hurry here in three days. As long as the locking ents stay normal then the dragon cannot be completely in control of the moment. Therefore, he can’t escape.”

 

- Leddon: “But this doesn’t make any sense. Now I remember you telling me that the dragon willingly allowed himself to be placed in prison.”

 

- (Straar shows deep conflict at this. His thoughts trail back on things in the past that only he and a few others know about. He takes a deep breath before saying anything to the revealed fact.)

 

- Straar: “Yes. He was brought into Lantier for a purpose. A securely secret purpose... It has to do with our delay and the delay has to do with the event we now face.”

 

- Leddon: “So what are you trying to say? Why are you gathering my men together and where is... where is her highness?”

 

- (Straar looks to the crowd around him. The silver blade force is assembled as he requested. Quietly, the knight commander finishes with his fellow.)

 

- Straar: “The order is to blame for this, captain. You did well but we took advantage of the dragon’s patience and waited too long or took too long with what we hoped to achieve. Whatever the difference, it does not matter now. The dragon, whether it be he is impatient now or senses danger, he looks to take matters into his own hands. Something cannot come to pass for it could not only endanger Lantier but Delandi, the land as a whole, itself.”

 

- (Captain Leddon doesn’t show any emotion for a time. He simply thinks. Then, things start to sink in. He breathes.)

 

- Leddon: “The dragon gave itself to you. You took advantage of it. Now the prison is taken. You mean to tell me that the order has done a wrong?”

 

- Straar: “Not intentionally, captain. Never intentionally.”

 

- Leddon: “Regardless, the dragon has a reason to be angry with you now! With us! Have you made an enemy out of a possible ally with your slowness?”

 

- (Straar’s features harden. He effectively states back.)

 

- Straar: “Think on your chosen words. You said so yourself earlier. We had a reason for the delay and it was with good intentions. We have acted as quickly as possible to not lose an ally but gain one in the process and there is still time to correct things. The order is sorry it has come to this. The queen regrets it.”

 

- (Straar bows his head to the upset silver blade captain to say.)

 

- Straar: “I have come to the surface to get the wounded away from danger and ask you for aid one more time. Her highness needs you below to help delve into the prison and reach the dragon before our chance, our work for the past fourteen day, is lost to us.”

 

- Leddon: “What?... You don’t mean to tell me that you’re actually thinking of facing the prisoner when it’s angry now? That’s foolishness! We need an army, a force larger than present!”

 

- (The knight commander shakes his head. He admits.)

 

- Straar: “There is no more time. The queen senses that things are worse than thought. If we do not act now... we will lose the dragon as well as any hope for the future.”

 

- Leddon: “Due to your carelessness! A prisoner that turns himself in and is told he’ll be treated properly before being left alone for two weeks with a guard doesn’t do too well! What did you expect? For him to-”

 

- Straar: “Quiet, captain! Silence yourself at once!”

 

- (The silver blade knights have heard a lot. They are no longer watching the order being healed but the two conflicted elf leaders at hand in stiff silence. Leddon gives a loud exhale, gestures for them to remain calm. Then focuses onto his superior.)

 

- Leddon: “I want to know what it is that you plan? What is it that you have up your sleeve to possibly counter this very HUGE problem. All I can really see ahead for me and my men now, against such old magic, is death.”

 

- (Straar doesn’t answer at once. He looks about to answer but decides not to. Then he speaks.)

 

- Straar: “I can’t, captain. Her highness is the leader of the hope and, above all else here, I trust her with my heart. I follow she who helped her down the king of dragons.”

 

- Leddon: “And, yet, here she is asking me and my men for a task that is unlikely to be completed by normal means such as my unit here. Do you not see, knight commander? We are not enhanced heroes like your men are! We have not hunted dragons or stopped demons. At most, we stop bandit raids and slay a predator or two. We wish we could do more but...”

 

- (Straar fixes Leddon with a fierce, confident stare. He boldly states.)

 

- Straar: “But you can. You wouldn’t be here otherwise. Not you or those around us.”

 

- (Leddon watches his superior for a long while it seems. He glances around at the concerned faces of his soldiers, then back at the ground, obviously thinking about the task being thrown at him so abruptly. He utters.)

 

- Leddon: “You ask much of me, captain. Why does her majesty not do so?”

 

- Straar: “She is the best defense at the moment, keeping watch over the prison in the ents’ stead while I came for you. She will thank you personally if you agree to this.”

 

- Leddon: “You will not answer me as to what you hope to achieve with the dragon below but... will she at least inform me if I agree to this before facing the coming storm?”

 

- Straar: “I will encourage her when the time comes and I believe you are already destined to learn what is truly going on from her sooner or later because she holds you in high regards.”

 

- (A quiet pause passes between the elf leaders. Then, Leddon speaks.)

 

- Leddon: “And you think we, the Silver Blades before you, have the means and courage to take up the feat you have just requested from us? Does her highness?”

 

- (Straar doesn’t answer at first. He simply remains quiet. Then, he wisely answers.)

 

- Straar: “I do. As does her majesty. Yet, that is a question only you yourself can honestly answer and be comfortable with. It is a riddle each of your men, only they, can truly confirm for themselves when faced with it.”

 

- (Captain Leddon shows deep thought clouded by conflict. Finally, he says to Straar’s relief.)

 

- Leddon: “For Peace, we serve. For Vanille, we defend. For Lantier, we fight.”

 

- (Leddon comes out of his mental reverie.)

 

- Leddon: “Very well, knight commander, give me a moment with the men. Time seems precious... I will try to make this quick as well as effective, despite the odds.”

 

- (The silver blade captain half turns towards his men but hesitates to firmly add before addressing them.)

 

- Leddon: “However, if they do agree, they should at least know the truths about why they now fight against something they were told they’d only be defending along with the chance they have. Correct?”

 

- (Straar nods his head at the statement. He honestly answers.)

 

- Straar: “Of course. When you recruit the numbers you can and we go underground, I will speak on your behalf for her highness. I am certain she will explain the situation to you and your men.”

 

- Leddon: “Fine.”

 

- (With that said and done, the surrounding silver blades focus onto their leader when he gestures for their attention. It takes a moment or two to get everyone to look at him but Leddon eventually accomplishes the task. With his many men waiting for him to speak, he suddenly feels the pressure that Straar felt before him about requesting more aid than expected from those before him. At first, he cannot do it. Yet, he remembers his sworn duty to the land he took when taking up the sword. That, plus, if he has the courage to do what must be done. He does. With a determined inhale, the elf captain breaks the purposeful quiet.)

 

- Leddon: “Soldiers, fighters, warriors of the Silver Blade Regiment of Lantier! You have gathered due to the knight commander here but, now, I ask that you listen to your captain. If you could not tell already, things have taken a turn in the prison, Sanctuary, we were assigned to.”

 

- (A voice speaks from the crowd, loud and nervous.)

 

- Voice #1: “We heard enough! Those men being healed were attacked by the prisoner!”

 

- (The silver blades stir. They mutter to one another uncertainly. Leddon seriously calls for attention to focus on him again and not let paranoia hurt his ranks. The fear they feel is somewhat due to himself for letting his voice rise audibly earlier.)

 

- Leddon: “Look, I know that things seem a bit out of hand but, according to the knight commander, things can still be smoothed over. The dragon isn’t completely freed yet and we-”

 

- (Another soldier, at the front this time, makes himself heard. He seems pale as well as angry.)

 

- Voice #2: “We? What is that supposed to mean?”

 

- Leddon: “It means that the order is in need and have asked the silver blades to assist at the moment. It is necessary that we do so or-”

 

- Voice #2: “What?! We’ve done our job! Are they really going to ask more of us?”

 

- Voice #1: “The dragon isn’t completely freed? How is it even partially free? I thought the ents had a hold of it!”

 

- (Leddon raises both his hands for silence but the men are not demanding things of him that he cannot possibly answer for certain. They even stir uncomfortably, looking at the ground beneath them as if expecting the dragon to burst forth. The morale is dropping. With his brow furrowed, the silver blade captain draws out his sword swiftly. The ring of the steel sword being unsheathed quiets the upset soldiers. With control in his grasp once more, Leddon speaks slowly and clearly to his gathered men. He aims to give them a choice but also remind them of their duty as well as hope to answer Straar’s request as best he can.)

 

- Leddon: “I will have silence from all of you. I will have your ears. Do this for me and I assure you that things shall work out for the better.”

 

- (No one speaks again. Some look close to doing so but decide apparently not to. The captain looks over all the faces watching him. Then, he boldly goes on.)

 

- Leddon: “I have been told many things by the knight commander here. The signs we observed in the Sanctuary were much more than predicted. The order assumed what they were and arrived here moments ago to deal with them. However, not even they understood the full significance of the subtle danger we saw.”

 

- (The elf captain deeply draws in a breath. Then, he unflinchingly reveals the full truth of the matter. Straar watches the expressions of the soldiers slowly change to disbelief as their leader speaks on about what must happen.)

 

- Leddon: “The order wants the help of the silver blades here. No! Allow me to speak! They came here with what they thought were the required numbers to dispose of the evil they expected to find. Everyone makes mistakes. Even the order itself, the queen herself, tend to do so from time to time! That is what makes them, us, mortal. Yet, before any of you give your answer to the request for help-”

 

- (The silver blade captain lowers his sword to have it point down towards the hill. He assumes a wise, sage like tone to his voice while he says what must be said.)

 

- Leddon: “-you should know that the order represents the best as well as the land of Lantier itself. You should also know that they came to you to ask for help where none could be found. The knight commander even told me when he arrived with the queen and mages-”

 

- (At this, eyes turn onto Straar when Leddon exclaims.)

 

- Leddon: “-that the order was going to personally request each and every one of you to join their ranks! I don’t think you need me to tell you that such a thing is the highest honor! You would be a protector of the balance, a savior of the people, a hero in the eyes of all! Not merely that but what does it say about you as a person, my fellows? Grand things! You have earned such respect! As your captain, I can say that without any sense of question!”

 

- (A silver blade youth seriously asks of Straar.)

 

- Voice #3: “Is this true, knight commander?”

 

- (Not hesitating, knowing any sign of weakness or discomfort could prove fatal, Straar answers the boy’s simple inquiry sternly. He knows any small mistake could lose the reinforcements that Leddon seems to be gaining. The expressions of the gathered soldiers appear to be humbled.)

 

- Straar: “It is. You have followed your captain and your valor matches his in the records. Be proud of yourselves. You’ve earned the question.”

 

- (In deep thought over the revealed matter, Voice #3 withdraws from the conversation. The soldier at the front of the crowd that spoke beforehand, the one that riled the others or voice #2, speaks his mind.)

 

- Voice #2: “I don’t believe it for a second. It’s a ruse to get our hopes up, get us to help the order, and then never ask us afterwards. I’ve seen this act before.”

 

- (Leddon points at the soldier at this. He states.)

 

- Leddon: “That is not favorable, Denmark! Better think about your choice of words!”

 

- (Voice #2, Denmark it seems, doesn’t obey. He snarls with a right.)

 

- Denmark: “You can’t possibly approve the thoughts of the knight commander, captain! We’ve followed you everywhere across the homeland, even through griffin waters, but this talk of dragon means one thing! You’re-”

 

- Leddon: “Silence, Denmark!”

 

- Denmark: “No! If the order can’t handle the prisoner then what makes you or them think that we can handle it!”

 

- (A hush falls over the scene. Captain Leddon lowers his sword once more to the ground with all eyes prying him for an answer. Denmark continues to speak, harsh as before.)

 

- Denmark: “We were told that we were going to guard the dragon! Not bloody fight it!”

 

- (The elf captain half turns to the knight commander with a face of defeat. He has given up. He doesn’t know what to do. The men are perfectly rightful in protesting what he also thinks seems quite unlikely to happen. Against a dragon, the silver blades do not see victory. They see only defeat.)

 

- Denmark: “If the order sensed that things were wrong then why didn’t they take the proper precautions? Why didn’t they bring the entire elven wrath down upon this place?”

 

- (Straar answers in Leddon’s place. He is willing to take over, to take the blame.)

 

- Straar: “It seems that things cannot be held together as planned. Forgive me, your majesty. I must do what must be done if the plan is to succeed.”

 

- (The knight commander draws all attention onto himself at this. He addresses the curious, blazing onlookers before him with entire honesty. He even pleads.)

 

- Straar: “It is time to come forward about this matter. The reason that the situation is so dire, Denmark, is due to the current way the days have become so dark for the entire continent. You wish to know where the army of the order is? It is scattered. Scattered across the land of Delandi to attempt to keep the balance that is so close to breaking. It is trying to keep the teachings of Peace in the minds of all mortals.”

 

- (Straar lowers his eyes to the ground in disappointment.)

 

- Straar: “Hope in that idea is failing. Our efforts are also failing. Where the borders of our lands did not need to be manned in the past, they need to be now. Friends are being replaced by enemies. Even within... our own lands.”

 

- (Straar looks firmly at everyone looking at him. Some lower their gazes. Others stare back.)

 

- Straar: “The elves, once respected as well as friends to all, are now being seen as tyrants and even now question one another. Where I could look to one of my fellow elves to keep a secret, I no longer can. I need to take my time in accepting a member into the order’s ranks. Her majesty, the queen, cannot even place faith in her own court! They are questionable. Yes-”

 

- (Murmurs break out at the truth. Leddon shows full surprise at the information.)

 

- Straar: “-that is the truth of the matter! This would not even be occurring tonight if the court were in on it. Your queen would be usurped by those she thought as allies instead and things for the continent would fall apart as a whole without her! Wisdom is being trampled by ignorance. It is true, we took two weeks to come here. In two weeks, this conflict was made by our doing. Yet, it was required to bring a possible hope forward. I know for a fact that if this dragon were released or freed from its prison, our efforts for the past fourteen days to bring such a hope would be for naught. We cannot allow this night to end that way.”

 

- (Denmark crosses his arms angrily. His eyes blaze with a fury but Straar doesn’t back down. He glares back as the silver blade soldier says.)

 

- Denmark: “How inspiring. You mean to tell us that our homeland is in terrible trouble then?”

 

- Straar: “Yes but that no longer doesn’t have to be. It can finally be changed.”

 

- Denmark: “Oh? How is that?”

 

- Straar: “For the past two weeks, the order has been working on something meant for the encounter with the dragon you’ve been guarding. It will prove beneficial for everyone throughout the land if it proves successful.”

 

- (Denmark scoffs. He speaks what is on everyone’s minds.)

 

- Denmark: “If? That’s a big gamble for all of us here, knight commander. That IF stakes our lives and, if you didn’t know already, a majority of us have families. I have a wife as well as a daughter back home expecting me someday! You expect me to face the challenge ahead full heartedly with the knowledge in my heart that I might not see them again?”

 

- Straar: “I am doing the asking that is the hardest to ask. Are you all willing to chance death? Therefore, I will not condone anyone here for backing down but hope that some may help me hold onto a last hope that has been formed for the past fourteen days. I came forward to all of you tonight, as I did your captain, as a soul in need. You are needed. Desperately needed.”

 

- (The humbled elf, the one that had asked for the truth of the matter or voice #3, steps up at this. He says aloud.)

 

- Voice #3: “I will help you tonight, knight commander.”

 

- (Surprise seizes the scene instantly. The soldiers talk in a jumble to one another while looking at the humbled elf. Straar is shocked but heartened to finally see someone other than Leddon come forward. His words seemed to have made some impression. Perhaps it will sink into others. Denmark scowls at the speaker with obvious venom.)

 

- Denmark: “Vake? But your mother and brother back home are-”

 

- (Voice #3 or Vake it seems, cuts off the hostile elf’s intended scolding. He gestures to the knight commander beside the silver blade captain and starts his own fierce speech.)

 

- Vake: “Enough, Denmark! You have made your view clear to the rest of us. However, despite that, I cannot turn away from the truth in the knight commander’s words. It is clear.”

 

- Denmark: “Yet-”

 

- Vake: “Yet, the mission has been changed without our say. Yes, that we also understand full well without more dramatics. Still, you will allow fear to take hold of your heart and blind you to the real threat against your family?”

 

- (Denmark snarls. He points an accusing finger at his arguer at the inquiry.)

 

- Denmark: “How dare you, boy! For years I have thought the best for them and the idea of me giving myself to a dragon’s fires will accomplish nothing!”

 

- (Vake glances at Straar. He is rather thoughtful, going over all that he has heard. At Denmark’s fiery reply to his question, the young silver blade speaks on.)

 

- Vake: “Very well. That is your opinion. However, it is simple what the knight commander is spelling out for us. Isn’t it?”

 

- (Vake turns to his fellows and gestures for their attention with a wave of his arms. He addresses them all, boldly and courageously.)

 

- Vake: “My friends, we have heard many tales tonight. I must say, they outdo any that I have come to hear throughout my life since being born into this world. It is true, we have done our requested duty of looking over the tree guardian prison for the order and now they come to us for another favor. Unlike Denmark, however, I find that inspiring, as would my family if they were aware of it.”

 

- (Denmark snaps out.)

 

- Denmark: “They will not find it so inspiring when they find out you’re dead!”

 

- Vake: “They would understand. There has never been a higher honor than to be asked to join the order that accepts only the worthy. I know for certain that they would back my decision to assist them tonight and have we forgotten top whom we pledged our services to?”

 

- (Silence answers the question. Vake simply answers it for everyone.)

 

- Vake: “To Peace. And who represents that god who helps us see the way? The queen. And who symbolizes the queen? The order. What does the order signify? Mortal kind as well as the entire continent itself. So, when one thinks about it, the knight commander is not the only one asking us but the Delandi itself. That, my friends, is not something I can turn away from.”

 

- (Vake focuses onto Denmark who has gone rather quiet. The young elf says to the hostile one.)

 

- Vake: “For, if I reject it, I reject my family. For, if I turn away, I spit on my honor given to the duty I swore to uphold. For, if I question, I ridicule Peace himself.”

 

- Denmark: “I will not be scolded by nonsense! All that awaits for anyone who accepts this mission is dragon fire itself! Forgive me but I have a future with my family to attend to!”

 

- (Vake’s expression softens. He nods.)

 

- Vake: “Understandable. That is your view. Tell me, though, am I wrong?”

 

- Denmark: “You-well-that-it...”

 

- (Denmark quiets. Vake glances at Straar once more before he lectures on to his conflicted crowd of silver blade companions.)

 

- Vake: “I love life. Death is dull. Denmark speaks true in that regard. However, the knight commander also speaks true about certain matters that we see today. Our kind is being rejected by the outside world with each passing day. Where we were welcome everywhere, now we are welcome nowhere. My cousin had to flee the humans, our half-kin, into our borders or risk something more fatal! Where there was no need to man our borderlines, now there is and why is that? Because hope seems to be dwindling! I don’t think we needed the order to reveal that to us tonight! What will the future be without it? What about our families?”

 

- (Vake nods to himself. He goes on afterwards.)

 

- Vake: “Still, the order works to hold onto the crumbling balance, despite the odds. For this, they have my loyalty as well as my respect for, when they keep the balance, they protect my land. When they protect my land, they protect that which I hold dear. This keeps the little hope we have today. Another reason I cannot abandon them now. Yet, here they tell me that there is more possible hope to be found here and that, my friends, is running out.”

 

- (Vake raises his fist into the air and proclaims.)

 

- Vake: “I love my family! I love Peace! I love my land, friends, and so much more! Therefore, yes, I am willing to possibly pay the ultimate price to see them receive hope for the future! I am willing to sacrifice my safety for theirs for they are, above all, to be protected as Peace protected us! They deserve as much during these dark times and I know, without doubt, that they would do the same for me! They would want me to bring hope into this world!”

 

- (Vake looks to Straar. He says to the knight commander, a fire in his eyes.)

 

- Vake: “You say that there is hope to be found with the dragon underground, knight commander?”

 

- Straar: “Yes. Most certainly.”

 

- (Vake looks back to his fellows.)

 

- Vake: “Then I accept the call! I wish for hope to come in the coming days and press back the misfortune raining down on the land! I remember my oath when I received my blade! I, now, will abide by it!”

 

- (Silence. No one moves or speaks or even breaths for a very long moment. Straar, as he had hoped for, sees captain Leddon reflected by Vake’s astounding spirit before everyone. He knows it can be found in all of them, despite the hostilities shown by Denmark. This courage is why this certain silver blade regiment was selected for the Sanctuary job. They are different. The moment continues to pass. Then, a soldier steps forward. He is middle aged, about forty, and observes Vake. Then looks to Leddon and asks.)

 

- Silver Blade Soldier #1: “What of you, captain? What are your thoughts?”

 

- (Leddon actually hesitates at the riddle. He draws in a deep breath, assumes a brave expression, then truthfully answers.)

 

- Leddon: “I wish to help the order. Vake has spoken my mind on the matter. He might have done so for every one of us present.”

 

- (The middle aged silver blade warrior nods once. Then says.)

 

- Silver Blade Soldier #1: “Then, if you are going, captain,-”

 

- (The soldier turns to Straar and loudly smacks his gauntlet fist to his chest bravely. His expression becomes serious, staring straight forward, while he does so.)

 

- Silver Blade Soldier #1: “-I am too. For everything I hold dear. Well said, Vake.”

 

- (Vake smiles a broad smile. A second soldier steps forward after the first, a younger woman, and she says to the smiling young elf.)

 

- Silver blade Soldier #2: “I won’t let fear cloud my judgment. Thank you for talking sense into me, Vake. My own daughter is precious to me but hope is becoming harder to find for her in the future. If this will help her, help the future itself, then count me in.”

 

- Silver Blade Soldier #3: “You have my sword and loyalty, friend!”

 

- Silver Blade Soldier #4 and #5: “Here, here!”

 

- (The tension has turned into encouragement, regardless of Denmark’s worries. Vake has rallied everyone together. Leddon only shows surprise when Straar looks to him with relief as the silver blades cheer with uplifted spirits to take on the challenge of Sanctuary as well as the imprisoned dragon there. Straar holds up a fist with Vake, followed by Leddon, to shout over them.)

 

- Straar: “For Peace, we serve!”

 

- (The soldiers plus Vake repeat the words grandly, fists raised up too.)

 

- Silver Blades: “For Peace, we serve!”

 

- Straar: “For Vanille, we defend!”

 

- Silver Blades: “For Vanille, we defend!”

 

- Straar: For Delandi, we fight!”

 

- Silver Blades: “FOR DELANDI, WE FIGHT!”

 

- (Straar allows the roar of the troops to raise in volume. He notices Denmark, still rather reluctant, has his own fist in the air while half heartedly repeating the chant. Feeling quite spirited himself from seeing better results than expected, the knight commander turns to Leddon to say quickly.)

 

- Straar: “It seems that things have worked out, captain. I will leave them to you while I attend my own men. We shall venture down the tunnel into Sanctuary together.”

 

- Leddon: “Yes. I shall see to it. Knight commander!”

 

- (As Straar turns to go to his own men, the captain stops him. Leddon appears to be in shock still over something. It becomes clear when he inquires quietly.)

 

- Leddon: “Your reason for being discreet... I understand now. I did not realize that things between the queen and her court were such as you said. Things are truly that questionable within the order?”

 

- (Straar pauses. Then grimly nods.)

 

- Straar: “They are. The dragons... they did much to the land in the past. They are not to be trusted or so said. If anyone but us had met with the prisoner when we did, it would have been driven off rather than interacted with.”

 

- Leddon: “Then... if the court were to find out about tonight...”

 

- Straar: “If the dragon escapes, the news could leak out and any rumor against her majesty would give the court enough leverage for a new ruler. Yet, that is not the major issue. The dragon itself holds some sort of key of hope. We cannot let things end as we think they will and, with the help of your soldier there, I believe there is a chance to prevent that, captain.”

 

- (Straar places a firm hand onto Leddon’s shoulder. He states.)

 

- Straar: “Things will be explained in time, captain. For now, since things are on their way, I ask that you trust me now as you have this entire time. After this, your questions will be answered.”

 

- Leddon: “I... Yes, very well. It will be a dark day when an elf cannot rely on another elf. That day shall not be today, though.”

 

- (Straar shows his gratitude with a nod. Then turns towards where the remainder of his warriors help the healers as Leddon gathers his encouraged men together. Every one of the silver blades, all fifty, appear to be recruited for the upcoming challenge. That plus the six remaining order knights and three available mages make a decent force. Finally prepared, the silver blades and order make their way underground once again as the wounded are left in the charge of several required guards. A long time passes for the marching formation until they finally emerge into the stone plaza. Everywhere are remnant of the recent battle. Loose rock and ent root are strewn about. Ahead, at the unblocked passageway, is a greatly surprised Vanille. Anders, close by her, shows his appreciation at seeing such a large amount of reinforcements with a small smile. Straar and Leddon meet with the queen and sage. Vanille immediately says to the silver blade captain.)

 

- Vanille: “My thanks are not enough, Leddon! None are but, please, accept the gratitude of not only myself but the land along with every mortal family you are about to defend!”

 

- (Leddon shows a bit of hesitation at receiving the thanks. He glances at Straar, then turns to the soldiers behind him and calls.)

 

- Leddon: “Vake, come forward! The queen wants to thank you personally!”

 

- (After a pause, Vake makes himself seen from the mass of reinforcements. He is sluggish in showing himself, obviously shy to be before the elf queen herself. Finally, he stands with the group. Leddon admits the truth to his monarch.)

 

- Leddon: “The congratulations should go to this young elf, highness. He reminded my troops why we do what we do and what should be done in situations such as this. Your knight commander and I did much but, without Vake here, we would have had trouble.”

 

- Vake: “But, captain, we-”

 

- (Vanille blinks at the young elf trying to correct his captain. She gets his attention by saying.)

 

- Vanille: “You are to be thanked for this result, soldier?”

 

- (Vake jumps. He glances at her every so often as he utters.)

 

- Vake: “Well, I only... I only said what I thought the captain would have said really...”

 

- Vanille: “Then, you should be a captain. Look at the hope you have given everyone here, including myself. Thank you.”

 

- (Vanille bows her head to the young elf being nervous. He is shocked at the gesture.)

 

- Vanille: “Thank you from everyone in Delandi, Vake.”

 

- Vake: “I, uh, thank you, highness, for the praise but, um, these two deserve credit too.”

 

- (Vake looks to both Straar and Leddon who nod their gratitude to him for the opinion. The queen looks to both her knight commander and silver blade captain. She smiles.)

 

- Vanille: “Vake, you show generosity. True. All three of you did well, then. Well done.”

 

- (At the appreciation, the present trio bow their heads. Straar and Leddon do at least. After a moment, Vake follows the action hesitantly. With that done, the silver blade follows his captain’s order to return the waiting formation of reinforcements.)

 

- Leddon: “That is all, Vake. Return to the others and prepare for further orders.”

 

- Vake: “Sir.”

 

- (Vake moves away towards his organized companions. Vanille watches the soldier go with a rather thoughtful expression shown. She says aloud while still watching Vake’s back.)

 

- Vanille: “He shows promise. Yet, why do I show surprise?”

 

- (The queen shares a glance with Straar purposefully before looking to Leddon appreciatively.)

 

- Vanille: “After all, those soldiers have a respectable role model to follow for a leader.”

 

- (Once more, Leddon bows his head in gratitude at the praise.)

 

- Leddon: “Thank you, highness, but I feel I failed your request for aid. It is Vake who deserves recognition for taking the challenge when it present itself.”

 

- (Straar steps forward grimly. He gains his monarch’s attention when he admits.)

 

- Straar: “Some things that were not meant to be said had to be, your majesty, to gain the loyalty of the men and women you see before you.”

 

- (Vanille eyes her knight commander. She seems to know what it is he speaks of.)

 

- Vanille: “Oh?”

 

- (She notices Straar decisively glance at Leddon. Taking this as a sign, she looks upon the silver blade captain blankly. She inquires.)

 

- Vanille: “Then you truly know why the order took so long to arrive and our purpose for being here tonight?”

 

- (Leddon shows confusion. He understands when looking to Straar for help.)

 

- Leddon: “Yes... The knight commander revealed your past actions for the past two weeks and your intentions tonight.”

 

- Vanille: “I see. Nevertheless, you have truly shown your loyalty to Lantier. So, I suppose you do deserve truths to why these things have come to be like this.”

 

- (The queen turns to Straar.)

 

- Vanille: “What does he and his men know of?”

 

- (Leddon answers for himself.)

 

- Leddon: “Enough, highness. The dragon arrived at our borders fourteen days ago. You gave the order for it to be imprisoned for. The order’s forces were too widespread. Thus, you enlisted my men to guard the Sanctuary while, secretly, you devised some sort of hope meant for between you and the prisoner. With the utmost trust, you placed in charge to keep watch over what you expected to come out eventually.”

 

- (Vanille doesn’t show any emotion. She merely listens as well as watches the captain speak.)

 

- Leddon: “So, fourteen days passed. Sanctuary showed unusual signs that I told you about. You wished for more time to do whatever it was that you were doing but, as the knight commander revealed, you worried over the ent locks on the surface. You knew then that the dragon was acting up due to impatience. However, you didn’t expect it to be in so much control over the tree guardians already.”

 

- (The elf captain gestures towards the tunnel entrance his men had exited moments ago, calling attention to the surface.)

 

- Leddon: “And that explains the condition of your men presently plus the severity of the situation at hand, correct?”

 

- (Vanille waits a long moment before answering. She searches the silver blade captain during then until exhaling. She simply admits.)

 

- Vanille: “That is true. The knight commander... revealed only truth.”

 

- (Leddon appears to question himself before revealing.)

 

- Leddon: “He also stated that the order is experiencing hardship. That, and yourself and your court are conflicted too.”

 

- (Vanille straightens. She turns her gaze onto her former student who doesn’t look away. He appears to be certain about his actions earlier. Anders even shows mild curiosity at the news the elf captain said.)

 

- Leddon: “Facts that surprised my men but rallied them together in the end. Thanks to Vake.”

 

- Vanille: “It seems that the knight commander shows great faith in you, captain, along with your troops. More so than I thought.”

 

- (Straar boldly states himself for his actions.)

 

- Straar: “The order has to make acceptations somewhere, highness. My faith was well placed, as I had hoped. You must agree, it is time to stop using these elves and include them. Before they die, that is the least they deserve.”

 

- (Vanille stares upon her knight commander. Then, she shows agreement.)

 

- Vanille: “Yes. Times are dark but they will be truly dark when one elf cannot truly rely on the other. Thank you, Straar.”

 

- (The elf queen focuses onto Leddon. She says.)

 

- Vanille: “It is true. The order faces a threat it might not be able to control. Strong as we are, the elves cannot maintain balance for much longer or we risk open war with the outside world. The dwarves and humans have forced us out. If they find us using subtle tactics now, that might be the last excuse we can use.”

 

- Leddon: “I see. Then things aren’t as good as we have thought. Yet, you’re going to just let us be pushed out from where we once were welcomed?”

 

- Vanille: “That is the struggle I have had with my court since the day that started, captain. They do not see the possible catastrophe if we were to forcibly remain in the outside world. To do so would be something similar to a challenge. That would spark violence.”

 

- Leddon: “But the griffins and centaurs-”

 

- Vanille: “Are with us on the matter of keeping the balance, yes, but to have them die for the order in a war not meant to be would be ruinous. Not just the war concern me either.”

 

- (The queen shows a grim expression as she says this. She thinks over things only she and a certain few know.)

 

- Vanille: “There are many other reasons the elves, mortal kind as a whole, cannot afford to wage war against one another. Reasons that must be held at bay as well as answered.”

 

- (Leddon shows confusion. He inquires.)

 

- Leddon: “Is the hope you seek from here one of them?”

 

- (Vanille blinks. She becomes serious and firmly says.)

 

- Vanille: “Somewhat. The court wishes, unlike me, to dispose of the tyrant lords amongst the enemies we have gained. For years, the order has used assassination as a way of warning. To do so now, however, would only confirm the lies those tyrants have spread about us. Fear in the common populace would erupt into rage. We would be hunted as a result. That is the outside world, though-”

 

- (Vanille looks towards the passageway that leads deeper into Sanctuary’s depths. She narrows her eyes as she speaks on.)

 

- Vanille: “-this is another matter entirely. Ever since the end of Reckoning, dragons have all but vanished from Delandi. Those that have shown themselves seek power, blood, along with vengeance. Therefore, all meetings with their kind have made them untrustworthy. If the court knew that I was allowing a dragon to reside with elven borders...”

 

- (Leddon speaks her words for her.)

 

- Leddon: “They would take matters into their own hands, wouldn’t they?”

 

- (Vanille slowly nods her head once.)

 

- Vanille: “They would.”

 

- Straar: “With the news of the queen making dealings with a dragon, the court would gain full support for the decision making of the kingdom. A split would occur between elves as result, the reckless assassinations would commence, and war would begin between mortals as a result.”

 

- Anders: “Silver blade captain... This operation risks much. Your men and yourself were chosen for much more than trust. As you have displayed already, despite Vake, you remain loyal to her highness’s purpose. If a war were to start between the mortals, we know now that you would stand at her side as she stood at the goddess’s.”

 

- (Leddon palely glances at Anders. He utters.)

 

- Leddon: “A war is that close? The elves, griffin, and centaurs could end up fighting the humans plus dwarves that easily?”

 

- Vanille: “No. It can be removed as a possibility. That is the hope we speak of tonight.”

 

- (Leddon shows disbelief. He almost demands but catch himself.)

 

- Leddon: “Then speak! - I mean - Tell me, please.”

 

- (Vanille uncertainly glances at Straar. At his encouraging nod, she begins to explain.)

 

- Vanille: “Never before has a dragon shown itself and not been hostile to the mortals. The currently imprisoned one did just that two weeks ago.”

 

- (Leddon nods.)

 

- Leddon: “That much I learned from the knight commander already. My question is about this supposed plan you have been working on for the dragon until we now face the current situation at hand. What about that?”

 

- (The elf queen hesitates before actually answering slowly and seriously.)

 

- Vanille: “We have an idea of how to get the dragon involved with the order without raising suspicion amongst my court.”

 

- (The silver blade captain shows astonishment. He questions further.)

 

- Leddon: “Involve the dragon? You mean you actually intend to work alongside the prisoner in the future and include it in on your plans?”

 

- Vanille: “The dragon didn’t just hand itself into our control without thinking, captain. We have several reasons to believe that the prisoner is insistent on joining our cause. He gave us information we’ve been seeking for years since Reckoning ended, not to mention that his history is one as an ally. Not an enemy.”

 

- (As Leddon shows continued surprise, Straar states the obvious.)

 

- Straar: “You see, captain, you show what the order knew how the court would react along with those they’ve brainwashed.”

 

- (Leddon snaps out of his reverie and is quick to justify himself.)

 

- Leddon: “No! I am still-”

 

- Straar: “On our side. Yes, I know you, captain, better than any other. Remember who watched over you when your parents passed away. Not only that but your reaction is only natural. The dragons killed many mortals during Reckoning and have slain more of us since in the isolated parts of the world where we pursue them. You feel cautious to accept one of them so close but things must change... if the future is to be hopeful once more.”

 

- (Vanille turns her attention onto the waiting troops. She glances around at the stone plaza uneasily as a rumble softly echoes out into the area. Everyone looks around in slight discomfort too at this. The elf queen comes to a decision.)

 

- Vanille: “We may delay only a little longer. With every passing minute, our guest becomes more impatient for us.”

 

- (Vanille focuses onto Leddon.)

 

- Vanille: “Captain Leddon Emeral?”

 

- Leddon: “Yes, highness?”

 

- Vanille: “The time has come for the challenge to be met. I am glad to see your troops here with us but are you, as their leader, ready?”

 

- Leddon: “Perhaps I would be if I knew the chances of success from you, personally.”

 

- (Vanille nods at this. Her expression becomes hardened.)

 

- Vanille: “The fight will be like nothing you’ve seen thus far in your life, Leddon. However, considering our success, you need not worry. With you and your men at our side, the order will maintain control of the dragon and execute the plan as intended. We are prepared.”

 

- Leddon: “And we will succeed? You are sure?”

 

- (At the inquiry, Anders actually appears quiet irritated. He starts.)

 

- Anders: “Confound it, elf! Think about who you’re talking to-”

 

- (Straar cuts off the sage by raising up a hand suddenly for silence. Against his will, the elderly magic wielder quiets to observe his queen search Leddon. After several moments of observing his worried eyes, masked by his determined face, Vanille honestly answers.)

 

- Vanille: “If any of your men fall tonight, captain, they will not do so for nothing. I promise you that their sacrifices tonight will reap great benefits in the future as planned. We will make it through this successfully.”

 

- (Leddon searches his monarch for what he knows he won’t find. Nevertheless, he does so with a growing sense of hope. After finding nothing in her appearance that could unbalance him from facing the coming storm, the silver blade captain steps down by lowering his eyes. He looks back up when his ruler says gently.)

 

- Vanille: “I am sorry it has come to this, Leddon Emeral.”

 

- Leddon: “As am I. However, Vake said something earlier that I shall abide by now. I took up the sword not for myself but for others. I chose to serve not myself but those I hold dear as well as those who can’t. When I took these oaths, when my soldiers did, we promised to do what had to be done for Lantier. So...”

 

- (The silver blade captain draws out his blade from its sheath. He stares down the passage leading deeper underground where certain danger awaits.)

 

- Leddon: “Lead me, your highness, as you see fit. If doing so will improve the chances to see a better future than I will obey as will my companions. In the end, they will see the rewards after their injuries ahead.”

 

- (Vanille smiles a small but grateful smile at the acceptance of her plan. The elf queen addresses the waiting silver blades, who straighten in attention at the queen’s words.)

 

- Vanille: “You are doing much more than bringing honor to your names, friends. You are answering the call of your queen, your land, your people, for help in the time of need. I know that the order along with myself have asked much of you already. However, I must ask another task of you tonight. My knight commander has already done so but I feel I should do so personally.”

 

- (The elf queen approaches the ranks of silent troops listening to her. Her companions trail her. A foot from them, she pauses to walk before the soldiers. Their eyes follow her as she paces in front of them from one side to the other while giving her speech.)

 

- Vanille: “Two weeks ago, you were given the duty of defending this prison run by the tree guardians, the ents. Your presence was to keep watch over the area while it held a certain prisoner, a dragon that had turned itself in recently. I intended to meet with the soul in time but I had my reasons, good ones, to draw out the encounter.”

 

- (At this, the queen pauses to look over her audience. Then, she resumes talking.)

 

- Vanille: “The order and I have been working on a certain subject for the encounter with the dragon that would definitely bring much needed support to the elves efforts in keeping the depleting balance throughout Delandi. In other words, hope would be restored to our efforts.”

 

- (Again, Vanille hesitates. She paces once more when she finds her voice.)

 

- Vanille: “The order needs this as does the world itself, friends. I see promise in you for coming to my aid when I asked for it. I see a better chance at securing a better future with you all here helping me complete the intended goal and, I assure you, though there is danger ahead, success is at hand. The dragon will be calmed, the prison retaken, and future secured as planned beforehand. Not due to me nor the order but you. Without you, the chances were slim. Now, they are great.”

 

- (The elf queen turns towards the Sanctuary passage leading further in. She points her staff towards it with determination.)

 

- Vanille: “In there is Delandi’s destiny! It can be prosperous or chaotic!”

 

- (Vanille turns her staff to point towards the mass of soldiers instead next to exclaim.)

 

- Vanille: “Now that you know that, which would you wish to see come to pass?”

 

- (The soldiers raise their fists into the air and roar out in unison.)

 

- Silver Blades: “Prosperous!”

 

- (Vanille nods. She inquires boldly of her rallied soldiers.)

 

- Vanille: “I aim to bring that very thing into being, comrades! Tell me, will you not join me in my cause when it is so close?”

 

- (The soldiers answer together.)

 

- Silver Blades: “Yes!”

 

- (Lastly, Vanille raises her own staff into the air with a heroine like air about her. She questions her comrades aloud over their growing murmurs.)

 

- Vanille: “Do I have your loyalty, fellows? Do I have your swords?”

 

- (The silver blades swords ring as they all unsheathe their weapons from their holsters. Amid the sounds of weapons being drawn, the warriors cry out together.)

 

- Silver Blades: “Yes!”

 

- (Vanille slams her staff down onto the stone floor which rings at the impact.)

 

- Vanille: “Then let us journey into the darkness together and show how our courage shines against it! In the name of Peace, for the land of Delandi, and for those we cherish, we will still this shadow! Ready yourselves!”

 

- (After finishing her speech, the elf queen allows the silver blades to cheer. She focuses onto Leddon who awaits his own commands from her.)

 

- Vanille: “This is where you take over, captain. Be heartened, for we are strong. Be inspired, for we will conquer the future challenges waiting for us.”

 

- (Leddon bows at the statement. Afterwards, he moves in front of his rallied silver blades to begin giving instructions on being prepared and the conditions they will face. As he does, the elf queen addresses her two other comrades, giving them their instructions.)

 

- Vanille: “Straar, you must gather your own remaining men and gather their spirits. They know the danger they face already. Therefore, it will be up to you in the conflicts ahead to keep them focused.”

 

- Straar: “They may be shaken, highness, but they are not ones for being frightened off. Their loyalty is greater than their fear. Still, I will obey, of course.”

 

- (As the knight commander moves away to where his remaining troops stand in wait, Anders gets his commands next.)

 

- Vanille: “We will need as much magical assistance as possible now. Anders... You will need to help your own mages recover from the earlier experience. I understand that they know the ents better than most and it is hard to hurt the tree guardians but they need to understand the severity of the situation. We have enough support in arms. If anything, can you have your companions aid the party with barriers?”

 

- Anders: “As Straar said for his men, mine are not ones for abandoning others, majesty. I will get them to regain their senses, see the truth, and then you shall have you magical protection for your soldiers. That I promise.”

 

- (With that, the sage moves away towards where a few mages await. The focus stays on Vanille where she looks over the force she has assembled for the coming challenge. She observes everyone getting ready for whatever lays ahead. As she watches Leddon formulate his silver blades, Straar encourage his soldiers, and Anders speak wisdom with his fellow mages, the queen becomes somber. Her eyes look down towards the stone floor before around at the surrounding plaza with unease. A root, angry red, slithers out of sight some distance away. The elf monarch shifts from being sad to serious again. She thinks to herself, slightly making all other noise fade in the process.)

 

- Vanille: “We were aware of the hope that could be found with the dragon...”

 

- (Again, Vanille looks around at the reinforcements getting ready for the future challenges. She shows concern.)

 

- Vanille: “We were prepared for it...”

 

- (Vanille immediately changes from showing depression to being confident when seeing Straar approaching her with the order knights close behind him. When they meet together, both former teacher and student’s voices are muted. This makes things unintelligible but the queen points towards the passageway ahead. After this, the knight commander takes his men to take point for the formation. Vanille’s thoughts are all that can be heard.)

 

- Vanille: “But...”

 

- (Anders comes next with his mages. With voices faded out, they are directed by her majesty to join Straar’s group.)

 

- Vanille: “What would come before that hope...”

 

- (Vanille joins with Leddon to confirm things are ready. When receiving a nod from him, the queen gestures for the silver blade reinforcements to follow her towards the Sanctuary tunnel that would lead everyone to their supposed danger as well as dangers. As the troops move along, the focus shows familiar faces among the ranks. There is Vake, around the formation’s middle, forcing himself to look courageous against his growing uncertainty. Around the reinforcement’s rear is Denmark, looking quite reluctant to be venturing towards where a dragon rests. Yet, he marches with everyone else, showing an expression of seriousness. As the force is joined by the remainder of the order and moves through the tunnel leading underground, everything fades to black instantly. Vanille’s voice ominously echoes out into the shadows in turn.)

 

- Vanille: “That was something that we couldn’t prepare for...”

 

- (The darkness is interrupted when the title, The Tales of Delandi: The Messenger, appears for a moment. Then, the blackness takes over once more along with silence as the prologue finally comes to an end.)

© 2013 Cousitarian


Author's Note

Cousitarian
Waaaaaaaay too long. Sorry for that. If you actually read through it all the way too here then thank you very much and you have my deepest respects. Also, I'm indebted to you. As for the story, I'm presently working on it and hope to take it somewhere. This is kind of my first time doing a script rather than book so... wish me luck.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

328 Views
Added on January 11, 2013
Last Updated on January 11, 2013
Tags: Dragons, Fantasy, Warriors, Medieval, Heroism

Author

Cousitarian
Cousitarian

MI



About
Not the best, not the worst, at writing. Not old but young. Full of inspiration, imagination but not enough experience to make it big. It's not the money I work for nor ever really will. What I do is .. more..

Writing
Prologue... Prologue...

A Chapter by Cousitarian


Preface Preface

A Chapter by Cousitarian