The Wolfken

The Wolfken

A Screenplay by Cousitarian
"

A community of peaceful werewolves come under attack by racists. As the assault goes on, it doesn't end as the attackers expect.

"

The Wolfken...

 

- (The project starts off slow and soothing over an unknown portion of the Everen Mountains thick with morning mist. Music is inspiring as well as calming. The camera view looks from overhead, gracefully gliding through several collections of clouds, before eventually diving down into the thick forest canopy of leaves below. Everything is blinded by the foliage for some seconds and music increases in volume when light suddenly can be seen ahead.)

 

- (Things begin to become visible again as the sudden burst of sunlight eases on the eyes. The camera slows as it ventures forth through a tribal looking settlement similar to an Indian village where there are a number of people performing activities. There are a variety of figures doing things within the village. Elves as well as humans cooperate at tanning racks with animal furs, cooking meals over fires, and helping with groups of children.)

 

- (An elderly man donned in a hefty bear pelt sits at a large bonfire and enthusiastically waves his staff around while also wisely lecturing in a foreign language. All those around him, both young as well as old, appear entranced by his current topic. The elder points his staff to a gallery of canvases to both his sides that display mysterious images of a pair of wolves together fighting other wolves. Another canvas shows the same pair with other wolves but at peace this time. The third is of the wolves building a city together. As the old man continues telling his unintelligible tale, his audience’s faces slowly become awed.)

 

- (There is one thing that is common among all those in the village. Everyone has golden eyes which gives them an exotic appearance. Every individual’s pupils shine as yellow as the sunlight cast from above as they do what they’ve done during the entire commercial thus far. It gradually becomes apparent that the settlement is preparing for some sort of celebration when some of the villagers pull on ropes and their efforts raise a great statue right side up onto its feet. The sculpture is in the shape of a seven foot tall humanoid wolf on its hind legs. Completely constructed from dried black ivy and tied in several spots to keep from falling apart, such as its ankles and wrists, it is impressive but most noticeable about it are the two topaz gems that act as its narrow eyes.)

 

- (The first sign of trouble is when a pair of women mashing baskets of flowers and herbs for solutions look around when a flock of ravens suddenly burst from the woods nearby into the sky calling loudly. The second sign is when the music grows foreboding. Third is when the serious native man keeping guard at the village entrance becomes suspicious. He narrows his eyes, steps away from his post, then cautiously glances around at the dark woodland all around himself. He stiffens up after several seconds of doing this and focuses onto one shadowed spot some distance from him where a certain something moves forth. A flash from the mysterious new shape catches the sunlight. The flash meets the village guard and the camera focuses onto his dismayed face.)

 

- (The festive mood in the settlement comes to an abrupt halt when more arrows catch some of the men working on a wooden longhouse. As the victims duck away from more of the projectiles, the guard from the village entrance stumbles onto the scene but doesn’t make it far. There is an arrow in his gut and another catches him by the right shoulder from behind which makes him fly off his feet to the ground. Everyone is panicking. The children are crying. All figures flee their tasks and speed towards one certain structure, an impressive looking longhouse that stands taller than the rest around it, where an intimidating group of native men appear from its front doors.)

 

- (A party of barbaric Norsemen rush forward into the defenseless village, led by a fearsome chief on horseback, and after those that called it home. The residents of the settlement give screams when seeing another of their men fall to a volley of arrows from the pursuing attackers and they all are encouraged by the intimidating men who have just arrived to enter the large longhouse before them. As everyone presses to get inside as ordered, their assaulters pull out a new tactic. The bandit leader roars indistinctly. At his uproar, a minion runs forward with a bucket of oil that the archers use to dip their arrows into. Another minion appears with a torch and he lights the oiled arrows for the archers as he runs down their formations.)

 

- (The fire arrows are fired next towards the innocent villagers as well as at their homes. The longhouses, both common ones and large one, are soon in flames and everything becomes partially hidden by thick smoke. The wolf statue is nothing more than burning ash in a single moment when the raider chief triumphantly swipes it with a torch. The desperate villagers are trapped within the largest longhouse, coughing and crying beside one another, as more arrows are fired towards them. The women cover children. Elders gaze around with wide eyes. It seems that only the men show any kind of control as they exchange purposeful glances.)

 

- (The largest and most tribal looking of the men, the same man who had exited the longhouse with the group of intimidating natives earlier to direct everyone inside, grimaces when hearing the bandit leader jeer at him from outside. Above his right eye is a faded scar that trails down his eye to his cheek. The bandits excitedly throw buckets of oil upon the biggest longhouse before firing another volley of arrows. The fires feeding upon it accelerate another level and force more screams from the innocents inside. The raiding party retreats back to wait for the remainder of villagers to come outside. They ready weapons evilly. Arrows are drawn and aimed. The chief gives a laugh as his horse neighs shrilly.)

 

- (The largest tribal man looks to everyone around him stonily. He focuses onto all the men, gets their attention with a gesture, then his form begins to change. He hunches over as dark masses of something thickly covers his stretching figure. All of the men begin to undergo this change and the camera focuses back outside to where the bandits wait eagerly. A tense silence seizes the scene. Everything comes to halt. The music stops and all senses focus upon the burning native village as well as those slain in it.)

 

- (The longhouse doors abruptly explode open and noise returns when several bestial, unintelligible forms speed forth through the thick smoke towards the raiders who are slow to react. Their leader gives an order. He waves his sword and arrows are fired. An incoming form takes some projectiles but doesn’t slow. Its reaction to being hit is actually terrifying for it gives a heart stopping roar that nothing normal could ever give in defiance. The bandits show fear as a fellow is instantly slain, bodily thrown off his feet, by the mysterious shape when it passes them. The raider leader raises his sword for order but, next instant, he’s on the ground when another bestial form passes his horse and his steed collapses under him. It’s face, revealed a second later, has been shredded by some unknown force.)

 

- (The camera shows the raider chief’s shocked expression as he sees how badly his horse is mangled. He jumpily looks about in a cold sweat for something upon the ground. In a matter of seconds, he finds his sword is out of arm’s reach some distance away and he can’t reach it due to the heavy dead steed weighing him down. The bandit leader’s expression goes from uncertain to fear in a moment. He draws a dagger from its holster located upon his chest and has no alternative but to watch the struggle going on around him. His eyes bulge and sweat increases when seeing it’s not going favorably.)

 

- (All around, throughout the ruined settlement, the bestial forms are locked in combat with the remaining raiders. The camera flashes from one bloody fight to another. The thick smoke prevents clear scenes for the viewer but they can clearly see that the bandits are losing. Rather badly in fact. The bandit attackers are thrown, tackled, smashed, and swiped aside by their mysterious, monstrous foes who tower over them. A bestial form draws close to the trapped raider leader who frantically panics. He calls orders that go unheard and points his dagger towards the approaching monster. He attempts to free himself but this proves ineffective.)

 

- (From the billowing smoke appears one of the bestial creatures that had exited the largest longhouse still burning in the background. The bandit leader looks upon a massive, muscular, eight foot wolf standing on its sturdy hind legs colored entirely night black. The beast’s eyes sparkle gold in the firelight nearby and this also illuminates its bloodied jaws. Above the wolf’s right eye is a distinct white scar. The trapped chief shrinks at seeing the creature’s mouth which reveals terrible fangs that could easily tear through him. The monster perfectly matches the ivy sculpture, now ashes, raised up earlier. Everything silences once more as the Werewolf expands while drawing in breath and then it releases a courage shattering howl. A howl that matches the volume of the other Werewolf’s roar from before when getting shot.)

 

- (The feeling of the music becomes epic when the Werewolf takes a determined step forward towards its trapped prey. The raider leader attempts to free himself again, muttering hastily to himself in a foreign language while doing so, but gives up to swing his last resort at his bloodthirsty opponent. His dagger misses the werewolf’s snout by a centimeter. The beast gives a disgusted snarl at the pathetic attempt which splatters its fearful prey with bloody saliva. It next gives an angry snarl when an arrow pierces its left shoulder. Two bandits appear from the thick smoke next. One rushes forward with a shield and mace as his fellow remains behind to fire another arrow.)

 

- (The fight does not last long but, with the combination of awe from everything thus far and excited music currently building up, it leaves the viewers wanting more. The werewolf gives another roar but this doesn’t seem to affect the oncoming raider. He raises his studded mace to strike, yelling bloody murder all the while, but is quickly knocked off balance by his beastly adversary’s reach. He raises his shield in defense which isn’t enough he soon finds out. The werewolf roughly head butts him off his feet and his last defense flies away through the air. He is about to be finished by the werewolf’s next mighty blow but is spared when another arrow catches his supposed finisher in the chest.)

 

- (The raider archer prepares another arrow for his target but shows shock when the target werewolf seizes a nearby piece of debris and powerfully throws it towards him. He’s hit in the side which makes him spin to the ground. His bow flies away into the smoke. As he attempts to rise, pulling out a knife at the same time, he’s forced back down by the werewolf when it jumps upon him. The bandit gives a yell when his bestial attacker rips away at him with an unrivaled fury. Blood flies all over and it stuns the surviving raider. He comes out of his stupor when his superior, the trapped chief, shouts for him to come. As the werewolf continues ripping its victim apart for several more seconds, behind it, the bandit helps move the horse aside. Both he and his leader retrieve their weapons next.)

 

- (The raider is dead if it wasn’t obvious beforehand. The werewolf finally turns away from the mangled remains of its prey that had struck it twice with the arrows that still stick from its muscular torso to find two more foes ready for it. Both bandit leader and his fellow cringe when the bloody beast snarls in their direction. The chief orders for his minion to attack but gives a shout of fury when it goes un-obeyed. Instead, his fellow turns away and speeds through the smoke towards where the village entrance stood before. Seeing he is alone now and handicapped by his weak leg from being weighed down by the dead horse earlier, the chief curses before staggering away best he can from the werewolf. He heads after his cowardly companion. Towards where he knows the settlement ends. How he expects to escape while crippled is anyone’s guess.)

 

- (The raider leader, heavily panting and coughing, makes it to the entrance. He comes to an abrupt halt when seeing his fellow that had fled before him is no more. Over his lifeless corpse is another werewolf, not as large as the one pursuing the chief and not the same color. More a ghostly white with patches of fur missing which reveals leathery yellow skin underneath. The new wolf turns from its victim with a low growl towards the bandit leader and shows bloodied yellow fangs in reply at seeing him there.)

 

- (The bandit chief points his dagger towards the sickly looking werewolf which proves useless. The white wolf inhales and releases a savage roar in reply to the challenge. It eerily raises itself up from the torn up remains of its former victim to face the fleeing raider leader with bared fangs as well as lethal claws. There is still one option for the nearly doomed bandit chief. He questioningly glances towards the dark woodland he and his party had effectively appeared from only moments ago. Now was it to serve him in another way? To aid in his cowardly escape perhaps? The raider leader looks back to the elderly werewolf blocking his escape route for a single moment, betters his hold on his dagger, then turns towards the woods to make a escape driven by desperation and fear.)

 

- (The elderly werewolf lets loose a heart stopping bark when seeing its opponent turning to flee rather than fight. Suddenly, from the village appears the black werewolf, the raider leader’s earlier enemy, which easily smashes its cowardly opponent back from the woodland. The bandit chief is out of options when recovers from the hit. He sees this when slowly getting to his feet. More werewolves emerge from the thick smoke. Some leap over the entrance while others rush forth with incredible speed. All come to a skidding halt when seeing the last bandit that remains. They form a savage circle, snarling and barking, around the fearful, former, bandit leader. He has no choice but to keep his dagger held up. This is a funny thing, however, when a werewolf rushes him and knocks him bodily over. He loses his grip on his weapon which flies out of sight.)

 

- (Every werewolf bears down upon the defenseless raider leader. He, in return, fiercely yells more in his foreign tongue and it can be said that what he does yell probably isn’t the friendliest thing. Everything comes to a stop after this. The surrounding werewolves become quiet when the eight foot, night black werewolf, the same with a scar trailing down its right eye, steps forward from their ranks to loom over the defiant bandit chief. In the werewolf’s right claw is a sword which is purposefully tossed to the raider leader. After this, the black werewolf gives a commanding bark and all its brethren retreat back a few paces to provide room.)

 

- (The bandit chief glances from the sword before him to his canine adversary who snaps its fangs viciously. Hesitantly, he reaches down and picks up the blade apparently meant for him to use. It represents something really. It is the raider leader’s last stand. His one defense against certain death speeding his way. It is a crumbling dam preventing a overpowering flood which is soon to break forth. The werewolf’s golden eyes reflect the firelight nearby as does the bandit chief’s one weapon. Everything becomes incredibly still. Then the peaceful illusion is broken when the murderous bandit chief cries out in his foreign language. It is obviously a challenge of some kind. A battle cry. His challenge is answered at once. The black werewolf inhales and looses a powerful roar that riles those all around it. It wildly leaps forward with jaws open and claws reaching forward towards the raider leader who stonily readies his blade.)

 

- (The scene focuses onto the two combatants for only a moment before bright embers thickly gather and fire roars forth to block it. Everything fades and the first thing to actually reappear is the thick, billowing clouds of smoke as well as all within it eventually. There is destruction all around. Bodies of bandits and villagers litter the ground. The longhouses, including the largest one, are nothing but glowing debris. The festival decorations lay scattered all over. The canvases that once told the story about two wolves are torn or burned. All looks somewhat depressing as well as devoid of any hope. Yet, through it all, not all hope is lost.)

 

- (Survivors go about looking through the bodies for any who may have endured the raid. The able men of the settlement can be seen venturing back from the village entrance and are happily greeted by all those they care about. Last of the men to appear is the largest and most tribal with the scar running down his right eye. In his right hand is the same sword that had been offered to the raider leader beforehand, only by a werewolf instead during that time. The weapon is stuck into the ground by the village entrance. Then its former owner makes his way into the remains of his home. The large, native man looks around at everything. At the destroyed homes. Dead villagers. Lost canvases and ruined werewolf statuette. He observes families enthusiastically reuniting however and c***s his head in indecision.)

 

- (From the crowds of survivors comes the elder in the bear pelt. He shakes his staff towards the largest man deep in thought and speaks heartily in another unknown tongue. His words are possibly of encouragement and praise for defending what could be defended. The largest man merely grimaces. He looks over everything that had once been peaceful. Then he looks back upon the elder in solemn pain. The elder shakes his head at this and he also shakes his staff as well. He states something which is repeated by a younger man nearby. The youth repeats the foreign word and his energy encourages others around him to join in. Soon, the entire settlement is rallied together and repeatedly shouting.)

 

- (This shouting seems to support the largest man beside the elder. He looks upon everyone who is so hurt but so strong with newfound hope and his form begins to shift like back in the largest longhouse during the attack. In a moment, where once stood a man, an eight foot, night black werewolf stands instead. The same werewolf that had run down the bandit chief earlier. The werewolf draws in breath, looks to the sky, then unleashes the fiercest of howls heard yet. His actions inspire the other surviving men. They too shift into werewolves and look to the skies to join in howling. The camera looks over the remainder of the rallying village for a minute. Then it slowly looks up above the smoke and eventually towards the sunlit sky.)

 

- (The scene fades. The music softens. The title gradually appears on the black screen.)

 

- (The Wolken of Everen. The Jerome Series continues...)

 

- (The commercial ends.)

© 2013 Cousitarian


Author's Note

Cousitarian
This is an idea I had on werewolves - aka the Wolfken - of my fantasy world of "Jerome". They're allied with the elves and I just needed a motivator to include the wolf people into my tale. Instead of let it sit on my computer though, I think it would be better on here. Tell me what you thought if I did good enough. Thank you reading, either way.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

404 Views
Added on January 11, 2013
Last Updated on January 11, 2013
Tags: Fantasy, Adventure, Hope, Courage, Heroes

Author

Cousitarian
Cousitarian

MI



About
Not the best, not the worst, at writing. Not old but young. Full of inspiration, imagination but not enough experience to make it big. It's not the money I work for nor ever really will. What I do is .. more..

Writing
Prologue... Prologue...

A Chapter by Cousitarian


Preface Preface

A Chapter by Cousitarian