The Mystery Behind The Blood Stained Money

The Mystery Behind The Blood Stained Money

A Story by Stacey
"

This is a horror story about a situation a private investigator had to face. Warning, very gory.

"
     It was just another ordinary day for me. I woke up, got dressed, and headed for work. I worked as a private investigator. I've solved all sorts of cases from infidelities  to killings. As I arrived in my office, I noticed the light was flashing on my office phone. I had a new message. I entered my password into the phone to check the message. The message was very strange. It was from an older  man originally from the south, but living in Los Angeles, California. I lived in Valencia, the next town over. The man had said that his son was playing in the basement when he found a small black leather bag. Inside the bag was money. And there was lots of it too, close to a hundred thousand dollars. But the scary part about it was that the money was stained with blood. Almost all of the bills had some sort of stain on them. He was unsure to whom the money belonged, but he was scared nevertheless. He left his address and phone number so I could keep in touch.

      When the message ended, all the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. I knew instantly something wasn't right. It wasn't just about the money, but something told me that something very terrible happened in that basement. More terrible and gruesome than I could ever imagine. I quickly picked up the receiver and dialed the number.

     "Hello this is Chuck," the man answered.

     "Hello Chuck, this is Anna Williams, the private investigator." I just received your message about the blood money, and I would like to come to your house and check it out. What time would be best for me to come over?"

     "Oh hello Anna, I actually have duties to attend to. I am preparing to leave right now, but I would be happy to receive you at 5:00 tonight. You got the address written down?"

      "Yes," I replied. "the address is written down. I'll be over at 5:00."

     "ok, that sounds good." He finished.

     I hung up the phone and continued with my office duties. At quarter to five,  I got into my car and began the 15 minute journey to Chuck's house. The closer I drove, the more terrified I became. This had never happened before. I mean, sure, I've been terrified when there was a reason to be terrified. I was terrified when I got shot at in the parking lot of a casino. I was terrified when my cover was almost blown in an undercover drug bust. But I had reasons to be terrified then. This time, there was no reason. It wasn't the blood money. I thought that was strange, and I solved worse mysteries than a bag of blood stained money. But this was a different kind of terrified. This was like I somehow sensed something terrible happened in that house. It was almost like a sixth sense or some sort of psychic power if you will. I've never had any kind of psychic experiences. This was the first time anything like this has ever happened. I tried to put it in the back of my mind. After all, I was probably just paranoid. I have solved worse mysteries in the past, and I've been through a lot worse. This was just a bag of blood stained money. It would probably get solved real quick. But no matter how hard I tried, this sixth sense seemed to overwhelm me. I really felt that something terrifying happened in that house.

     Finally I arrived at the house and parked my car next to the curb. I walked up the driveway and rang the bell. A man in his mid 40's answered the door.

     "You must be Anna?" He said in that southern drawl.

     "Yes I am. And you must be Chuck?"

     "That I am, come on in," he invited. He took me into his sitting room and pointed to a comfortable chair. I sat down, thanking him. He sat down in the chair opposite and asked if I would care for a drink.

     "Just some water please," I replied.

     "Andrew," Chuck called. "bring down a glass of water and a corona,"

     "Yes sir," a man's voice replied. He came down a few moments later carrying a tray with the desired drinks and an assortment of cookies. He bowed to chuck as he placed it on the table.

     "Thank you, Andrew. Now please go upstairs to your quarters, and don't come down until I send for you."

     "Yes sir," replied the man as he gave another low bow and headed up the stairs.

     "Andrew is my butler," Chuck explained as he took a sip of his beer.

     "Oh that's cool," I replied. "so tell me about the blood stained money."

     "Ah, yes. Right. My son was playing in the basement this morning before he went to school, and he happened across this small black leather bag filled with money. All of it was stained with blood."

     "Is your son home?" I asked.

     "No, he's spending the night at a friend's house. I would, however,  be willing to pay you more money if you could stay the night tonight and for a few hours tomorrow until my son comes home. Then you could look in the basement, and anywhere in the house that would be  benifitial to you. Whatever you can do to get down to the bottom of this." Something in his statement seemed odd. Usually clients don't invite me to stay over. I got another terrified feeling, but made myself shove it aside. After all, he would pay me to stay at his house, and figure out the mystery behind the blood money. And then, in the morning, I could speak to the son. I agreed to his offer, and he beemed.

     "I'm so glad to have you, Anna. We will dine in an hour in the diningroom for dinner, And you can look at the blood money and see what you can see."

     "That sounds lovely, thank you Chuck," you reply.

      Chuck and I sat and talk for an hour before we headed out to the diningroom for dinner. The table was set with beautiful crystal and eligant china. It seemed to have a warm glow to it.

     "Please sit down," Chuck said. I sat down and noticed the chairs were very comfortable. We drank some white wine and ate an excellent dinner. After dinner, we sat in the living room and watched some tv. I really felt warm and welcomed, but at the same time, that terrifying feeling kept coming to the forfront of my mind. I would annoyingly shov it back, telling myself that Chuck was nice to me, and things were going well. I remember sternly telling myself it was ok when Chuck pulled out a leather purse with a thousand dollars in it.

     "That's your payment for now," he said. "after you solve the mystery, I will give you the remaining money." I thanked him and yawned sleepily.

     "You must be tired," Chuck said. "you'll want to have a good night's rest. You'll be working tomorrow. Andrew, show Anna to her room."

     "Yes sir," replied Andrew.

     "Good night Anna, I'll see you in the morning."

     "Good night."

     Andrew lead me up a set of stone steps to an unmarked door.

     "Here you are, Anna. Sleep well."

     "Thank you," I replied yawning. I walked into the room. It was very relaxing and comfortable. I quickly undressed and got into bed. I reached over and turned off the light and drifted off to sleep.

     I did not sleep well. I kept having terrifying nightmares of people screaming. People telling me this was a set up, and to get out of there. One man in particular told me that Chuck was an evil man, and that he fell into the same trap 10 years ago.

     "Get out now, in the middle of the night when he's sleeping," he pleaded. "He goes to bed early. You must exit before the sun rises. He kills everyone who falls into his trap."

     "Everything Chuck told you was a lie," said a woman.  "he doesn't have a son. He is an evil, evil man who has killed at least a dozen people. Callace and cruel. Ever wondered why you were tired so early? It's because he slipped sleeping pills in your evening drink. You still have a chance. But you must get out of here before sunrise. We will help in whatever way we can, but you must get out." I woke with a start, drenched in sweat. It took me a moment to remember where I was. Then I felt a cold chill that went through my body. Could all of this be real? Are there really spirits in the house? Could they be warning me? Or is this something my mind randomly dreamed up? It was hard to say. I tried convincing myself it was all nightmares, but I couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong. Was this all real? At that point I decided to go to the basement. I wanted to see for myself. On impulse, I looked for my flashlight, which I put on the nightstand as well as Chuck's payment, and to my astonishment, they were gone. Could I have misplaced them? I figured I'd look for them later. I turned the doornob, and to my horror, I found it locked. I really began to feel scared now. What was I going to do? All of a sudden, I saw a brilliant white light, and a woman floated through the door.

     "Anna," she said in a soft voice.

     "Yes?" I asked in a frightened whisper.

     "My name is Stella. I am Chuck's late wife. If he found out I have come to warn you he would really be angry." Something in her voice sounded familiar.

     "Are you the woman from my nightmare?" I asked.

     "Yes, I am one of many. You must listen to me Anna. Everything Chuck told you is a lie. Chuck isn't even his name. His name is Jeremy. He dabbled in the occult and began to perform really dark, evil magic. Andrew is not his butler, but his accomplice. They do everything evil. There is a freezer in the basement where you will see all, and I must warn you, it is a very gruesome sight. This is what happened to me, and to the rest of the dead here. You must try and leave undetected before sunrise. If you cannot get out by then or get caught before you try, you must use his real name in a sentence. Any sentence is fine, but you must use his real name. When you do so, he will lose all his powers. Then he can be arrested and taken to jail like a normal criminal. But you must do this alone. It is the only way. Once Jeremy has been cuffed, you can call the police and they will sease all the evidence. But you must defeat him alone. I am the only spirit who knows how to defeat him. The rest will tell you to escape. But you must defeat him alone."

     "Ok," I said, letting all of this sink in.

     "You must remember his name, Jeremy."

     "Ok, I will," I replied.

     "Come with me to the basement, and you will see." I went down to the basement, and received a terrifying vision. All of the men and women screaming, begging for mercy. Just as conned and fooled as I was. Then I heard Jeremy's cruel laugh as he brutally tortured and killed his victims. Then, the vision stopped, and Stella said softly, "Open the freezer." As I pulled the freezer open, a horrible sight met my eyes. Ziplock baggies filled with body parts surrounded in pools of blood. I felt fear,  pity and revultion. And to my horror, I heard a sound from upstairs.

     "She's awake, Chuck. She somehow escaped." I stood there, frozen with fear. The spirits began to fear for me. But Stella quietly whispered, "Remember what I told you."

     I walked up the stairs into the living room to find a very angry Chuck sitting there on the couch.

     "It would have been better if you stayed where you were. Much less, um, painful."

     "Did you really think I was going to fall for your little plan? Were you hoping you would add one more person to your freezer of dead bodies?" He just laughed.

     "Ah, very good, Anna. I see you would be curious about my things. But try and call the police on me, just try. I'm a lot faster than you." I didn't call, at least not then. I grabbed a pair of hand cuffs which made him laugh even more.

     "The jig is up, Jeremy," I said calmly. Everything seemed to drain from him like a deflating balloon. The smile on his face turned to horror stricken.

     "How, how, how did you know?" He wimpered.

     "Because I'm a private investigator, Jeremy. You picked the wrong person to mess with." And with that, I cuffed him, and called the police. There were sirens everywhere, and a dozen policemen flooded the house. Jeremy broke down crying and confessed to everything he did. How he trapped the victims, how he killed them with his daggar, and spilled their blood on his money. He thought I would be a good victim, but his choosing me was a big mistake because I expose everything.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rBaMrCxzPFI?autoplay=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

© 2014 Stacey


Author's Note

Stacey
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review this story. A few years ago, I actually entered a contest on a different website and the subject was blood money. I read the old entry, and decided since I prefer this website better, that I'd ditch the other one and write a much better story. Also, the music is by an artist named Kevin McLeod. Check his website at www.incomputech.com. Hopefully I embedded it right. lol

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm not much on mysteries, but you had me from the very beginning. I enjoyed had you easily had things flow from one scene to the next. Good going!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dave

8 Years Ago

I just finished posting it. I really hope you like it.
Dave

8 Years Ago

I don't understand! I spent a good three hours typing my short story and I
thought I sent i.. read more
Stacey

8 Years Ago

did u save it in a document first? Maybe you can retrieve it.
Well written and scary, though I must admit I expected a plot twist in the end. I mean, If you made us think it would end the way Anna thought and then suddenly it would turn out differently, I would be shocked. Although, that's what I expected so this may have been more shocking. (I'd better stop before I get caught in a loop :D) Nevertheless, great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stacey

8 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much for the review. I honestly didn't think about it that way, but that's a good .. read more
Nicely detailed and written! Nice ending too, I was thinking it would end differently but I'm glad it ended the way it did! Great job

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Kennedy

9 Years Ago

Whenever you're ready!
Stacey

9 Years Ago

How do u wanna do it? By email?
Jack Kennedy

9 Years Ago

I will message you direct from here
This was really intriguing!!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Stacey

9 Years Ago

thanks much
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ron
Nicely written. Love the plot. Easy to read with good details.
Great job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Stacey

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much.
ron

9 Years Ago

You are most welcome.
I love the way you've written this story and, despite the fact that it is a story rather than a novel, I felt that the character of Anna came across very well. I love the ending. This is a great piece of writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stacey

9 Years Ago

that's a good thing. Did the song actually play?
tashavoase

9 Years Ago

not to my knowledge. was it supposed to?
Stacey

9 Years Ago

yes it was. Ah well. I'll do mp3s next time. youtube is much harder.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

406 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 19, 2014
Last Updated on July 19, 2014
Tags: blood, money, stains, horror, gory

Author

Stacey
Stacey

Phoenix, AZ



About
My legal name is actually Mallory, but I really dislike that name and plan to change it in the near future. I really like the name Stacey. I'm from Phoenix, Arizona, and I'm legally blind. I sing and .. more..

Writing
Saving Annie Saving Annie

A Story by Stacey


Danger Lerks Danger Lerks

A Poem by Stacey



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Departure Departure

A Story by NoelHC


Danger Lerks Danger Lerks

A Poem by Stacey