Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Crescit-Arbor

(15 years later)

     The sun had just started to rise, releasing the world from the hold of darkness when I opened my eyes. The early morning haze had invaded the small hollowed tree. Paintings of the forest spirits littered the walls, and drying herbs hung from the ceiling. Two deer hides covered the dirt floor. Making a very effective carpet. A small fire pit was dug out in the middle for cooking and warmth in the harsh winter months. A small, but cozy home.  Across the room I saw the still sleeping figure of River. She had been like a mother to me, and had raised me for most of my life. Her gray hair, she’d tied neatly back even in her sleep, though she seemed much younger. I could see her eyes dart around under her eyelids as she examined the landscape of some unknown world, woven together by her dreaming mind.

     A sigh escaped my lips. I had so much to do today. Elder Hirsch needed marigold leaves for his bite wound. Then Speckle required lavender for her new baby, and I had to go gather more herbs. On top of that, the Firefly festival started in two days. Which meant guests would start arriving today, bringing all kinds of diseases.

      I pushed myself off of my small cot and started to dress. Lose fitting shorts and a badly dyed shirt, both hand-me-downs from the village girls. I ran a wet rag over my tail, only to enhance the soft orange coloring. A very rare color in this part of the Untamed. I turned to the small grimy mirror that hung on the wall, inspected myself, then grabbed my soft leather pack and pushed aside the old hide I used as a door. 

     A soft summer breeze tugged at my long red hair. The streets where empty due to it being so early. I adjusted my pointed ears to the sound of hushed voices. Who else would be up so early? I thought about it for a moment then dismissed it. Whoever it was didn’t concern me, and it is frowned upon by the spirits to eavesdrop.

      I made my way to the front gate and slipped into the forest before the rest of the village could awake. I needed to gather countless herds, and getting away from the villagers seemed like a nice perk. Having these few minutes to myself every morning kept me sane. It allowed me time to gather my thoughts and prepare myself for the day. I walked down the faded game path that lead to a small patch of marigolds. My thin leather shoes made no sound as I treaded through the woods. I became a part of the forest, it consumed me. The soft songs of canaries and robins played when I finally made it to the marigold patch.

     For the rest of the morning I gathered many herbs, ranging from lavender to basil. Though the time finally came when I had to return to the village. Slowly I walked back. Why do I need to return? I asked myself. Besides River, no one would miss me. I could probably fade into the forest never to be seen again, and they wouldn't care. I knew it to be true, though River had tried to convince me otherwise many times. No one wanted me here, because I was a b*****d, or a deki in our native tongue. Some unnamed man had given me away to her when I had been a young cub. She said I still had spots on my tail, maybe two months old. Because of local superstitious and traditions, I was immediately labeled an outcast.

     I stopped just short of the entrance to the village. The bushes and vines we used as a wall stretched eight feet into the air. I had done this every day for the past fifteen years, but that didn't make it any easier. I looked at the path that lead to the south, it would be so easy to leave. I would just need to gather my things one morning and slip out. That simple, but I couldn't do that to River. She just lost her brother, Reagen, a year ago. He had taught me everything I know about healing and his limited knowledge of being a Shifter. Even then I still struggled with my gift. I looked back down the path, it would lead me to Deergate. where a small college had been created for Shifters. I desperately wanted to go, but I couldn't bring myself to ask River about it.  A rumor had been floating around that the rebellion had an outpost there. I shook my head, I couldn't do that. I wasn't strong enough to help the rebellion. I couldn't wield a sword and I wasn't old enough to command an element. 

     I turned my head to the sky, low storm clouds were rolling in from the north. They would be here by nightfall. Great, just what I need. A big mess to clean before the festival. I walked through the entrance and took an immediate right to avoid the town center. I followed the tall brush woven wall to stay out of sight. At this time of day, Hirsch would be teaching a class near the butchers stand.  For the most part, I liked all of the cubs in the village. Until they started to mimic the attitudes of their parents. Once they learned enough of the superstitions of our village, they too labeled me an outcast. 

     I turned left into the market place, it wasn't much, just a few traders and hunters trying to sell their goods. The sweet smell of ale and cooked meat wafted from tavern. A soft smile touched my lips, I had spent many hours in there as a cub. River would take me there once ever moon, just so we could talk and be together. Though it hadn't been happening that often lately, due to her becoming Alpha of the village. I pushed those thoughts aside and continued to the butcher stand.

     “Alright class, who knows about the change?” Hirsch asked, his voice seemed to overpower the entire marketplace.

     "Ert heenra treld mi gaitt ki!" Ash, a young male cub, said excitedly. 

     "Ash please, we had been working on our Kanda, use it when in class." Hirsch sighed. 

     "Why? It's... a very... hard thing to... speak." He replied stumbling over his words. 

     "Because it is the most common language in the empire." 

     "But we don't live in the empire." A young girl piped it. I stopped right beside the tavern, just out of sight, I didn't want to disrupt Hirsch's lesson.  

     "Because, a long time ago we were a part of the empire. That is when we stared speaking Kanda, we only speak our native language in very formal settings, and as young cubs. Now back to our lesson. Ash?"

     "My parents told me... about it. It is when... you become a... full animas." Ash said. 

    "Yes very good. When you go through the change the spirits change the way your body works. Your eyes are made sharper and your ears and nose keener." 

     "Are there are the chosen few." One of the Bager twins yelled out. 

     "Yes," Hirsch laughed. "What are the gifts that are given to a select few by the spirits?"

     "Power over elements!"  The cubs yelled in unison.

     I took a deep breath, Hirsch was expecting me. I couldn't stand here all day. 

      "And what is the only power given before the change?" Hirsch asked. He could probably smell me and wanted to prepare the class. 

     "Shifting!" The class said together. 

 

     "And, as luck would have it, our very own village Shifter is here today." He said cheerfully. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, I had to be in the right mind set to talk to an elder such as Hirsch. I let my face go blank, a mask that hid all emotion.

     “Good afternoon.” I said as I approached.

     “Pyrro!” Ash squealed, these cubs where too young to understand that I am supposedly a second class animas.

     “Eahea Ash.” I greeted him.

      “Oh, Please shift for us!” the young girl- whose name escaped me- begged.

     “Not today, I am here to patch up Hirsch’s arm.” I said with an exaggerated amount of regret in my voice. They looked up at me with upset faces, but argued no more. I turned my attention to Hirsch.

     He was an ancient old man, his head and tail had both turned snowy white with age. His hollow eyes bore into me with disdain and distrust. I looked down in submission, then dropped my pack to the ground and started digging for the herbs I needed.

     “Be quick about it” he growled. I nodded. “Now class, back to our lesson. Only a selected few are chosen by the spirits to command an element. The spirits only bless those who have the temperament to wield such power, and so far they have only been wrong once.” I pulled out a thin ribbon of fabric and a multitude of herbs, this was going to take longer than I thought.

     “What is it like to go through the change?” the girl asked.

     “It is a very natural experience. It is painless and most are unconscious for it. When you wake up it is like being born again. Everything is clearer. Though, if you are gifted it may take a few weeks to discover it. Even after the change is finished the power builds up inside of you.” He threw his uninjured arm into the air and a sharp wind tore through the marketplace.

     I stopped my work and looked up at him in awe. Every animas wanted to be gifted but it rarely happened. Even rarer for a shifter to be gifted. I must take what the spirits give me. I started crushing the herbs together and applying them to the cloth.

     “What is taking so long?” Hirsch asked harshly. I dipped my head and did not reply. I had just finished prepping the cloth. “Reagen would have been done long ago.” He complained as I wrapped it around the gash on his arm.

     “I’m finished.” I said softly.

     “Good, now go before you disrupt my class any further.” He growled. I nodded and started off to the southern part of town.

     As I walked I pulled a piece of dried meat from my pack. Speckles house lay about an hour’s walk outside of the village. Many said it to be dangerous to live so far outside the walls, but I didn’t blame them. The villagers were very cumbersome to be around. Always being socially proper could take it toll.

     Speckles and her mate lived right off the river, there they caught fish and sold them every Monday in the market. Everyone had to make a living someway. Though with another mouth to feed it would be a strain on their family.

     As I exited the village an odd smell caught my attention. I stopped and inhaled deeply, I didn’t recognize it at all. It seemed like a somewhat metallic and burnt smell, but I couldn’t find the source. It’s probably just someone who burn their lunch. I told myself, though I wasn’t completely convinced. Nonetheless, I kept moving.

 

     The time passed quickly and the odd smell slipped my mind as I approached Speckles small hut. I examined it closely, it looked very awkward. Most animas lived in hollowed out trees. It seemed a bit taboo to live in anything else.  A small fenced herb garden grew next to the hut, and inside Speckles worked on her hands and knees weeding.

      ”Hello Speckles,” I called out, not wanting to startle her.

     “I didn’t even see you come up the path.” She replied as I greeted her at the garden gate. “You’re quite a sneak” she said eyeing me. 

     “I apologize, now where is your newborn I’m supposed to be looking at?”

     “He is inside taking a nap.” As if on cue the baby started screaming. “Sounds like its lunch time.” She said to herself.

      I followed her into the hut. A small single room littered with herbs and flowers. Yet something about it seemed cold and uninviting. In the corner sat a wooden cradle lined with rabbit skin. As I drew near I saw a tiny hand reach up and grasp at the air. His screaming only intensified as Speckles picked him up. She pulled him close and quickly hushed him.

     ” I don’t know what’s wrong with him,” she sighed, “he has a bad cough, and a fever. I’ve tried everything I know, but it won’t break.” She didn’t look at me and seemed on the verge of tears.

     “What’s his name?” I asked as I pulled several herbs from my pack.

     “Birch.” She replied softly.

     “How old is Birch?” I started to grind the herbs into a thin paste.

     “Two moons tomorrow.”

     “He’s so big for his age.” I lied, but I knew it would make her feel better.

     “Is he?” She asked hopefully. “I can only hope he will be as big as his father.” I added a drop of honeysuckle nectar to the paste.

     “May I hold him?” I asked. Immediately she stiffened and looked me over.

     “Why?”

     “To give him his medicine.”

     “I suppose.” She said hesitantly.

     I took him into my arms and stared at him. He looked so tiny. His bright blue eyes looked up at me. A small smile touched my lips as he reached up and grabbed a lock of my hair. I put a little dab of the paste on my finger and eased it into his mouth.

     “ He simply has a little cold,” I told Speckles. I winced as he bit down. “His cub teeth certainly are sharp.”

     “Yes they are.” She said.

     “I’m going to leave the rest of the paste with you.” I handed Birch back to her. “Give him a dab once in the morning and once in the evening, and the fever should brake by the festival.”

     “I will do that,” she said, then she turned her back to me. An obvious sign for me to leave.

     “I’m glad I could help.” I said. As I left and headed back to the village, a strange feeling came over me. It felt as if someone loomed behind me. Watching my every step.



© 2014 Crescit-Arbor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on January 21, 2014
Last Updated on January 21, 2014


Author

Crescit-Arbor
Crescit-Arbor

Richmond, VA



About
There isn't much to tell really... I love writing, always have. One day I would like to be published, but I understand the chances of that are slim. But I am an optimums. And I will make it happen. .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Crescit-Arbor


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Crescit-Arbor