The Lightbulb Effect

The Lightbulb Effect

A Story by CiCi
"

In psychology, there is a theory called the lightbulb effect. I believe that it applies to a dying relationship as well.

"
They call it the lightbulb effect. Before something dies out, there's the split moment of utter brilliance. I had loved you for so long. Always saying we were meant to be. Even when you moved away, I assured you I'd patiently await your return. I loved you from afar, always keeping the sole memory of your love as the only promise of our love. Even when I didn't hear from you for weeks, I re-read your messages, replayed your videos just so I wouldn't forget your face or your voice. And I filled my head with thoughts of you, dreams of what our future would look like scattered through my head like the autumn leaves. I envisioned what it would be like when you returned. How we'd love each other endlessly. How we'd marry and be a family. These novice thoughts of family and marriage surprised me as I had never been the type to desire such things. But I knew that with you, I wanted it all. Your love was in my blood, but even despite my devout heart, I questioned if your heart felt the same. With this persistent doubt I began to die out. Thoughts of us were a distant memory and your return was highly questionable. Our future seemed to be something I only saw as a dream. My heart no longer beat the same for you and your words no longer incited those butterflies within me. Then one day, you spoke to me the way you had before, you reignited that flame that had died out in me. You reassured me of our love and I once again was reminded of why I knew you were the one. I danced with overwhelming joy and fulfillment and my heart felt alive again. Nothing in the world could convince me that we weren't meant to be, no one could bring me down from my high. I shouted to the world that we were one and the same and that upon your return we'd be together for eternity. Our love had never felt stronger, brighter and more real than at that point. But then you reminded me of why I doubted you and our love. Your attitude and your hurtful words tore through those happy memories and high aspirations of what we could've been. Your indifference slapped me across the face and woke me up from my love daydream. And I was reminded of why it had been just me for so long. All it took was that day to bring me back to reality and never gaze upon those dreams again. I realized, I was done. After over a year, I had absolutely no desire to continue with the relationship. I was completely burned out. And that was that. A burned out lightbulb can't be repaired it can only be changed. I wish you the best in life, just remember just how much I loved you.

© 2017 CiCi


Author's Note

CiCi
This is not from a psychological standpoint. This is simply relating a broken relationship to this theory. Please ignore any punctuation errors. An

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

And so I run in to a very interesting theory of the light bulb. Im so glad someone here likes to write about crazy theories. Perhaps the fabel of the Sun setting red too can compare, as he sets red to show the moon his love, yet not in time for her to notice. Theres so many moments we miss and forget of. All I know is, there are 3 kinds of lightbulbs, those that light, those that heat and those that illuminate, which have you screwed up in your little red house? I hope you find out, that neither of them really have the answer, but if you look closer to the Sun, its true color is white, youll understand im sure.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 17, 2017
Last Updated on January 17, 2017

Author

CiCi
CiCi

CO



About
Just a simple gal with complex thoughts. more..

Writing
It Was You It Was You

A Story by CiCi


To You To You

A Story by CiCi