Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by CroKy
"

2 hours to launch, pre-flight checks performed and much coffee is needed.

"
Kl’ah, still remaining on the couch in the small crew lounge of Kybers Viper, finally able to find her words “Ky, Jesus. I told you to leave.” Ky becoming increasingly impatient with every passing second that she was in his sights, his imagination running wild, flashing images of Kl’ah, interlocked in an intimate embrace of the man who had just broken multiple of his bones. “Kl what are you doing here? Why did you follow me?”Kl’ah beginning to tear up again “I followed you to make sure you were going to be ok, I was going to take you to the hospital wing because I knew you were hurt.” Ky unsure of the answer that he was searching for, became short and cold with his answers “Why didn’t you take George then. it's obvious he’s the one you care about” Kl’ah pleading through her tears as she began to approach Kyber “Ky, please! I know I hurt you, I never meant to do that, it's just…” Kyber now completely emotionally walled off to the woman who he once thought he had a future with, guarded behind his resentfulness “It's just what Kl? you know what? You’ve made your bed. Now get off my ship” Ky now no longer willing to listen to excuses while replacing his blood stained shirt and retrieved his jacket “Ky, I'm willing to leave everything here behind, just take me with you…” Kl’ah says with a sincere tone while wiping away tears. 

Z’on abruptly interrupting, yelling from the on-ramp of the Viper “Ky! I know you’re in there, put your clothes on. Crew meeting in the lounge. Skips orders.” Ky directing a calm tone to Kl’ah “Kl, this is over. It was over the day you chose to cheat. Now…” Kyber pointing to the ramp "Get off my ship.” Z’on was waiting at the bottom of the ramp leaning against the hydraulic lifting and lowering arm with his arms crossed, chewing on a toothpick, barely catching a glimpse of Kl’ah as she ran by “Hey Kl… Oh..Kay.. Bye then." Readjusting her black shirt and continued to walk at a fast pace towards the docking building not paying attention to Z. Ky slowly walking down the ramp while fixing his jacket over his shoulders and rubbing his jaw that was previously worked on by the medical bay.

Z’on with a devilish grin exclaims as he turns to face Ky “Ho!ho! buddy! Good night?” Ky with a straight face “Not a god damn word you!” while pointing to Z’on. “Secrets safe with me” Z chuckles as he throws his hands up to shoulder height in a show of innocence. “Come on the guys are in the lounge, skip broke out a bottle of Lavian Brandy.” Z, nodding and turning away towards the dock exit. “Just what I need, more alcohol” laughs Ky following his friend. As the two men enter and walk through the docking building they could hear the familiar laughter and chatter of the crew becoming louder. Ky and Z were welcomed by the sight of the crew sitting at 3 different tables and booths, the smell of stale cigarette smoke and alcohol assaulting the nostrils. “Oh! Thanks for joining us lowly peasants” jabbed Robert. 

Robert Crowell, Kybers older brother and the pilot of the second fighter escort, the Cobra Mk IV, Rob was a tall, fit-looking man, darker skin than Kyber, mainly getting his completion from their father, John. Rob is a highly skilled pilot, ex-Federal Navy, retired as a Gunship Commander of President Hudson's Navy after a six-month stint during a long conflict at Tun. Rob always teased Kyber every chance he could get, although both brothers were in their twenties and thirties they still had childish acts towards each other, Rob always using his size and strength to end up pinning Ky to the floor as he punched him. Softly, of course, Rob adores his little brother, even though they both can’t be on the same ship for longer than a few hours without a fight starting.

“It's obvious he was out with his mystery girl. When do we get to meet her by the way?” asked Alissa, leaning against the left side of Rob's chest, facing away from the entrance where Ky stood. Alissa, otherwise known as Allie, is the Cobras weapons technician and Robs wife. Rob and Allie first met in the Federal Navy, she was the deployable fighter in Robs Gunship. For a fairly quiet woman she loves the thrill of battle, and just between you and I, she’s a little crazy. Now of course flirtation is highly frowned upon on the ships in the navy so Allie was always a ‘Trouble Maker’ trying to find ways to be sent to the Commander's quarters for disciplinary action. Kyber never really wanted to think of that. “Or in another bar fight I guess.” Allie says after turning to look at Ky.

Z’on repeating the usual lines directed to Ky. “He never learns” as Z finds his seat, both Rob and he simultaneously says “Go for the smaller ones first” Z’on pointing and nodding at the couple. “I never took Ky as a fighter, or at least not someone who goes looking” piped up Frank Zegil, the Pilot of Johns Python and long time friend. Easily the most experienced out of the crew when it came to navigation. Being fairly young, in his mid-thirties, just older than Robert, he had earned the prestigious title of ‘Elite’ from the Pilots Federation for his feats and data collected from the depths of space. Spending sometimes months on his own in his exploration kitted personal Asp. He always seemed to be off in either memory or calculation. “What’s wrong with fighting, Francis?” Jess asked with a look of disdain. Jess Zegil, the weapons tech of the Python, and Franks wife. Jess had been with the team much longer than most. A calm and polite woman who usually seen the best in people, such a bubbly person would not normally be found in gunners seat.

Sitting at the opposite table of Robert and Alissa was Jen and Li’et Drewell, a new, young husband and wife fire team recently hired to pilot the Asp explorer. Both were very quiet and kept to themselves. Jen the pilot of the asp and Li’et the weapons tech, Li’et, a refugee from the empire was evacuated to Snyder Terminal. Apparently, he knew information regarding experimental weaponry the Empire was planning to deploy. The ship he was being escorted on was attacked by an Imperial clipper, he was jettisoned in an escape capsule and it was Jen who picked him up while working as a pilot on a Federation Medical Search and Rescue ship. They fell for each other. Recently they had joined as the second transportation ship. This was their third trip.

“Ky, have a seat. I have an important announcement to make” John says with a smile as he pours nine shot glasses with the Lavian Brandy. “I have brought everyone together tonight to announce that” John pauses to give one last thought to what he was about to say “I’m retiring.” everyone looked at each other in shock, John, the old skip, retiring! “Now before anyone thinks I'm going to be gone for good, what I mean is I'll be taking a desk job and monitoring the ships from Snyder Terminal” everyone still looking at each other and back to John, but with less befuddlement. “Rob! you will be commanding the Python with Allie, Frank, and Jess as your crew. I’ll be purchasing another Asp and selling the Viper and Cobra. Ky. You and Z’on will be piloting Jen and Li’et’s older Asp” everyone still in shock about the sudden news. Rob was the first to speak up “So, how many runs are you going to do before you make this transition?” “Oh, these are my last ten jumps. The change is effective immediately once were back in Snyder” the reality that the tight-knit crew that was built over many years was about to change, a paradigm shift that they all hoped would be survivable.

“Well, a toast to John and his new career,” Frank said as he stood up and walked over to John “I’ll give you 6 months before you’re back in the python.” Frank said with a grin. A round of congratulations and excitement from everyone as they took their shot of exotic, rare brandy. “An Asp. life going to be different now, not going to be cooped up behind you” Z jokingly says. Ky still in surprise over the news of his huge upgrade. “Ky” called John, “I’d like to talk to you for a second, meet me out on the pad.” Ky finished his drink and headed out towards the landing dock. In front of Ky, stood the looming Asp Explorer, the massive, blue ship standing nearly twenty meters tall, stretched fifty-six meters in length and fifty-one meters in width. This hexagonal ship is the civilian version of military model Asp Mk II, sporting an array of two medium hard points and four small hard points, it wasn’t much of a fighter, but with a max range of thirty-nine light years, it was the staple in exploration. Kyber, staring up at the two in hull nacelles located in the back of the vessel, admiring its gorgeous sharp design. “Ky” John calls again, surprised by his father's voice, Ky turns to greet his father “Hey dad, Congrats again on the retirement, I'm sure mom is going to be pleased about that” “Ky, I've been thinking and I think the Asp is a great starter ship for you” John says with a smile. Confused, Ky asks “Starter ship? Dad I've been flying the Viper for a while now” “Oh I know but what I meant is that if you want you can choose to either stay with the convoy, or go your own way, I know you’ve been seeing a girl here for the last few trips” Ky shifts his position in discomfort and smiles “Yeah about that dad” “and I know how difficult Trade life is, so this is my gift to you.” Ky smiling and looking down in disbelief about what his father just told him “Dad, I do enjoy the working in the wing, I really do. I’ll think about it” John putting his hand on his son's shoulder and smiling “well there’s no rush. Come on lets end this night because were out in 2 hours.” Ky and John began walking back to the crew lounge, not noticing George standing off in the corner of a landing pad, watching.


© 2017 CroKy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on February 18, 2017
Last Updated on February 18, 2017
Tags: Elite Dangerous, Fan Fiction


Author

CroKy
CroKy

St.John's, Canada



About
New Sci-fi writer more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by CroKy


Chapter 2: T-Hour 3 Chapter 2: T-Hour 3

A Chapter by CroKy


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by CroKy