A Declaration of War

A Declaration of War

A Chapter by Crusty
"

A many year long feud between two chefs, and a letter to commence the beginning of the end.

"

It was a warm Saturday morning when Kyle stepped off of his motorcycle and approached the front door of his restaurant. The yellow and orange rays of the early morning shone upon the billboard atop the roof, casting long shadows over the roof of the restaurant. As Kyle opened the glass doors he noticed a letter sitting atop the welcome mat, he took it. Once he had entered his restaurant he was greeted by the warm and rustic scene of the seating the area. Last night's cleanup crew had really worked their magic on the dark oak wooden tables that were neatly arranged in groups suited for two up to ten guests. The tables stood upon a clean cobblestone floor, a quite uncommon choiceTogether though with the low ceiling and dim lightingit made the perfect scene for a romantic candlelit dinner. 

 

Kyle sat down at one of the tables and opened the letter with a pocket knife. It was a letter from his competitor and rival. The name of his sworn enemy was Chris. He too owned a restaurant only two miles awayTheir rivalry goes back to their early days when they'd still cook together and help each other achieve culinary perfectionTheir comradery had lasted long until Chris had betrayed Kyle and stole the recipe for his signature dish: The Spicy MeatballShortly after thatthey broke up and each started their own restaurant. It is to this day that Chris has Kyle's recipeKyle noticed the address on the letter was the one from Chris's restaurant. He unfolded the letter with trembling hands and read its contents feverishly. The letter contained a challenge of unearthly proportionsand one he could not back down on. 

The letter read: 


"Hi Kyle, 

It has been a while since we last met. We have been cooking against each other for years now and it is time settle this once for all. I can't remember the last time we have faced in a battle of cookeryand I harbor a fiery lust for battle ever since our parting. I have thus come up with the most fitting way to end this feud of oursThere will be a battle of cookery the likes of which have never been seen before. We will have this battle at your restaurant to decide who is worthy of carrying the recipe for the best Spicy MeatballThis contest will be held coming weekend's Sunday afternoon. We are both to make three dishes to be tasted. It is time to separate the strong from the weak and finish the final chapter of this hate-ridden book we have written 

Yours truly, 

Chris" 


lay the letter on the table, my mind was racing, but in the end, Chris was right. This silent feud of ours had gone on long enough and it was time to settle the matter once and for all. I gazed at the wall of the diner and saw hanging a dusty framed photo of Chris and I. I stood up and walked over to the kitchen. The rectangular kitchen had counters and cupboards mounted against the wall with a sink every fourth sectionThere was a door in the far corner of the kitchen, a sign on it read "Kyle". My office had a small window looking into the kitchen, this way I could always have a watchful eye over what my cooks were cooking. The small office room was sparsely furnished, sporting only a desk and a comfy chair I would sometimes read in, as well a lamp standing in the corner beside it. I walked over to my tiny office room and looked at the bottom most drawer of my desk. There was a lock placed on the drawerand with good reason. It was in that drawer that I had stashed my personal cookbook, a collection of the best recipes I had put together thus far. The book contained years of cooking know-how I had developed during my time as a professional chef. I unlocked the drawer, took out the book, and let myself fall back into my trusty reading chair. It was time to select the very best of recipes I had and take back the recipe of the Spicy Meatball.  



© 2017 Crusty


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Crusty, I want the recipe. I swear I won't steal it from Kyle and open my own restaurant. You made a battle over that recipe into an exciting sort of mystery. When Kyle opens the letter feverishly, with trembling hands, I was thrown out of the story for a minute. It felt like a really strong reaction, maybe too strong... unless... I'm wondering, is there more behind the parting of Chris and Kyle? Hmmm...
Then the shift from 3rd person to 1st person, curious why you did it. I want to know what happens. Please share more!

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 9, 2017
Last Updated on February 9, 2017
Tags: Cooking


Author

Crusty
Crusty

Writing