As The Last Star Falls (Synopsis)

As The Last Star Falls (Synopsis)

A Story by Luke Masters
"

A synopsis for a novella that I have written for which I am seeking publication. Approximately 63, 000 words.

"

In the prologue, the reader is introduced to the Uplanders: a tribe of warriors that live in a time of great unrest as their land is ravaged by war. The Uplanders believe in the presence of a race of gods who live among them and who are responsible for the creation of the world and everything in it. The Father of the Gods, named Starnan, is given credit for the creation of life in the world and is revered as the greatest and most powerful of all the gods. According to their legends, when Starnan’s family goes to war with the other mystical races of creation, Starnan finds the Well of Knowledge �" the vessel of all knowledge and power in creation. Starnan uses the power of the Well to save his family and end the war. After the war, Starnan honours warriors above all other people and creates the Hall of the Slain for all who died in battle to gather together in heaven forever.

As the story begins, the reader is introduced to Japheth and his grandfather Erik, Uplander warriors from the town of Fairway. Japheth is a teenager at the verge of leaving his village on a journey of initiation into adulthood, known as his Naming Day Quest. Upon completion of his heart’s chosen quest, Japheth will return to his people to be recognized as a warrior and a man.  Erik is at the other end of his life. As an aging warrior, Erik decides to take the Long Walk �" an option left open for those warriors who approach the end of their days without dying in battle. They can walk out alone into the world to seek the death of a warrior or at the very least to die an old man’s death without the dishonour of having their people see them come to such an unfavourable end.

For his quest, Japheth chooses to seek out the Well of Starnan, which is rumoured to exist on the top of the tallest mountain in their land. Along the way, he attempts to find news of his grandfather’s passing but hears nothing. Japheth passes through several towns and landscapes and meets the people living in each �" farmers, bandits, townsfolk, traders, guardsmen and philosophers. He discovers that many of his countrymen lead very different lives to his own and is challenged by their presence. Japheth begins to question whether his lifestyle is the only true path for an Uplander to take in order to reach the Halls of the Gods in the next life.

Japheth meets a young woman in the mountains and they have an instant connection. He falls in love with her little mountain township �" Firnanog �" and the way of life they embrace. As Japheth journeys onward, his faith in his quest and in the existence of mystical forces in the world around him begins to grow. Unbeknownst to him, Starnan does in fact have a very real presence in the world of men and has been watching him approach. He sends his agents out from his domain to guide Japheth to him. With the help of Starnan’s emissaries, who Japheth meets but does not recognize, Japheth makes his way to the mountain peak and finds the secret grove containing the Well of Knowledge. The Well’s Keeper, a man named Yorik, bids Japheth approach, but the Well doesn’t speak to him. Japheth wakes up in the snow feeling that he has somehow failed, but not knowing exactly what happened to him after he looked in the Well.

Japheth meets the outcast giant Galeishez, who has been exiled in the mountains for many years. He convinces Galeishez to return to the lowlands with him and reluctantly, but with some hope, Galeishez follows. They return to Firnanog in time to see that the tavern is burning down and people are trapped inside. Galeishez and Japheth save the family inside moments before the building falls down, earning them the status of heroes to the townsfolk. Japheth returns to the lowlands in time to see that raiders are attacking one of the trading towns there. Lending his strength to the defence of the town, Japheth helps to drive the raiders back, only to find that he is fighting beside his grandfather, Erik. Erik later dies from his battle wounds and is laid to rest as a great war hero.

Afterwards, Japheth returns to Fairway, realising that he has accomplished much for himself and for others on his travels. His quest has helped him to change his entire outlook on life and what is really important. Yorik appears to him and reveals himself to be the elder god Starnan. He explains to Japheth that he has not failed in his quest and that the Well is but a focus point for his journey. Starnan tells him that knowledge cannot be given, but has to be earned and learnt and experienced �" that the power of knowledge is not found in the destination, but in the journey. Japheth returns to his people proudly and is welcomed as a warrior and a man.

© 2009 Luke Masters


Author's Note

Luke Masters
No need to review. I am seeking publication and will provide anyone interested with more information.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
Added on December 26, 2009
Last Updated on December 26, 2009

Author

Luke Masters
Luke Masters

Newcastle, Australia



About
I enjoy reading and writing, computer games and movies. I am a fan of the comic/graphic novel genre, along with the sci-fi/fantasy, action/adventure and comedy genres. Favourite band: Queen Favou.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Poem by Luke Masters