Meditations

Meditations

A Story by Luke Masters
"

An attempt to emulate the great Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius... his was better.

"

MEDITATIONS

© Luke Masters, 2010

 

Marcus Aureilius, Emperor of Rome ( 121 -180  C.E. ) wrote his famous work on the strengths of a moral life whilst on campaign in Germania. He began with an in-depth look at the people in his life and what he had learned from each of them. What follows is my attempt to do the same:

 

From my father I learned quiet compassion, the importance of the law and of good people sticking up for it and by it, the ability to listen and the strengths of an even temperament.

 

From my mother I have learned the true powers of positive thought, prayer and healing and the determination to strive onward. I have learned acceptance of the path one's life takes and the offering of this to a higher power. I have learned love and firmness, and the times one may best apply both.

 

From both my parents I learned strength in adversity and the power that pain has over shaping the people that we become. I have learned through experience the ability to let one's children choose their own path, for better or for worse. I learned the importance of charity and the need to serve others, working for what you receive and giving something back. I learned that you can survive and live happy with a little and make it into a lot. I have learned the value of family.

 

From my darling wife, I have learned the strength of emotion and character. I have learned a new kind of love and how it works for both of us. I have learned about the things that make her who she is and how to cherish these moments and sustain them. I have learned the peculiar way to live together with another person, the personal ways that are not all couples, but just us.

 

From my eldest sister, I have learned what it is to strike out on your own, to make your own independent life in your own place in the world.

 

From my middle sister, I have learned a quiet strength and dependant love, a reliability and clarity that I could always count on.

 

From my brother, I have learned that one needn't follow the flow to succeed in life and that success is dependant on our own point of view. I have learned a strong lesson in parenting, that removed from some of the entrapments of modern life, children can still grow up and live in peace - his children are a blessing.

 

From my youngest sister, I have learned about gentle compassion, how to maintain a light heart and an inspirational degree of perseverance in the face of adversity.

 

From my entire family I have learned the value of closeness and solidarity in a family. I have learned the strength and security that this can bring. From them all, above all, I have learned to love.

 

From my adopted "brothers" I have learned about true friendship, companionship, mateship - all similar but different. They have all taught me much about friendship and brotherhood, loyalty and love. From them each in turn:

 

From my best man, I have learned compassion and patience and a way to master one's own pain in order to better help others. I have learned that it doesn't matter if you don't have it all worked out from the start - push towards what you want and where you want to be in your own way.

 

From by great friend and groomsman, I have learned how some may push passed adversity or pain, by denying it power over the present. I have learned the benefit of being the person who is both friend to all and yet independent enough to make their own way through their life. I have learned to love the objective approach this provides - to know all the players, but to be the eternal observer to the game.

 

From another great friend and - again - my groomsman, I have learned about true loyalty, despite the blows that life can throw at a relationship. When you are his friend, you are his. That's it.  There is little one can do to change this. I have learned about the simple power of forgiveness.

 

From my brothers and sisters, both real and adopted, I have learned about the powers of music, fun and fellowship. My memories with them remain among the richest and most treasured.

 

From my dear brother and closest teacher, I have learned many things. To be disciplined. To always challenge yourself and others in regards to beliefs and actions, and to stand strong against the onslaughts this may bring. To take time to ensure you are on the right path. To work had to improve the world around you. To conquer your fears in order to dive deep into the wonders of another world. To stand tall and confident in the face of what you are doing and what you have done. To see those who declare themselves your enemies coming for you and to maintain your course - if you are right to do so.

 

These are my meditations, written in the spirit of Marcus Aurelius, and I lay them humbly before you with the words of William Butler Yeats: “But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams”.

 

 

© 2010 Luke Masters


Author's Note

Luke Masters
A personal reflection, a good idea and a useful tool. I hope you enjoy. All comments welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on March 8, 2010
Last Updated on March 8, 2010

Author

Luke Masters
Luke Masters

Newcastle, Australia



About
I enjoy reading and writing, computer games and movies. I am a fan of the comic/graphic novel genre, along with the sci-fi/fantasy, action/adventure and comedy genres. Favourite band: Queen Favou.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Poem by Luke Masters