Responsibility

Responsibility

A Story by Crystal Marie Rome
"

This is a story about responsibility, plain and simple.

"
Ali hefted the heavy pack onto her shoulders as she took the hand of her three year old brother Anthony. The early rising sun bore down on the 12 year old and her kid brother.
"Come, Come Anthony. We must make it to Woodendow before night falls." Ali tugged slightly on Anthony's arm.
"But Ali I'm tired. And I want Mommy." The little boy complained. 
Ali knelt beside her brother and looked into his sleepy brown eyes. "I've told you Anthony, Mommy isn't coming back." A single tear rolled down Ali's cheek.
Anthony reached up and brushed away Ali's tear and nodded. He stepped past his sister and started walking down the well traveled road that lead to one of the main cities of the kingdom Pockto. 
Ali stood and followed her brother as they walked on to a dreary city life. 
Ali and Anthony Bearnan's parents had died 3 months ago of a mysterious fever that had ravaged the entire kingdom, killing a sixth of its population. Ali a skinny girl of twelve had known that she couldn't support herself and her brother as well as their small two bedroom house so she and Anthony set out for Woodendow. 
Ali knew all of this, as well as she knew that their food was running low and she couldn't afford to feed herself if she wanted to keep Anthony alive. All that mattered to Ali was her brother, he was the only family she had and she was determined that he would live on even if she died.
At that time Ali made a promise to herself. She would help her brother live, for as long as she could and never, ever give up the small hope that was her brother. 

© 2011 Crystal Marie Rome


Author's Note

Crystal Marie Rome
Please Comment!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
_
:') that was so nice yeah these make me smile oh! there it is :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yeah plainness and simplicity sometimes tell a lot. In this case it's responsibility. Loved reading this, friend.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really like the structure and metaphors in this... You are very creative!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 1, 2011
Last Updated on July 1, 2011

Author

Crystal Marie Rome
Crystal Marie Rome

Barre, VT



About
Hello! I'm Crystal Marie (Marie is not my middle name it is part of my first name) ! I love reading and writing and I've been trying to do my best at both of those things. My three favorite animal are.. more..

Writing