At Death's Diner

At Death's Diner

A Story by James Morgan
"

One of the many dates with death, she's not too picky.

"

   The night was cold.  To Him the night was always cold.  He was trying to remember a time he was warm.  That was a time to far back to remember.  He didn't know how old he was, he didn't care really.  All he knew was that he was; hungry, alone, and of course cold.  He wondered if he had ever had a home.  He didn't think he had.  He lay on the street, as the cars and people went by, none taking notice of Him.  He'd gotten used to the hard ground, it was the only bed he'd ever had.

   He opened his eyes, there was a lady dressed all in black standing next to Him, looking at Him.  She held her hand out to Him, and he took it although he didn't know why.  She helped Him up.  She seemed like a nice lady, but still felt a little scared.
He still held her hand, it was cold, and soft. He noticed that the lady was pale, but very pretty.
"Would you like something to eat," She asked.
He nodded.
She led him to a nearby diner. They walked in and sat at a table near a window.  They were the only ones in there, except for a waitress, and a cook.  The waitress came by and handed Him a menu. He looked at it, then at the lady that brought Him here.
"Aren't you hungry," he asked.
"No," She replied, "I've already eaten."
He ordered; scrambled eggs, hash-browns, bacon, grits and toast, with hot chocolate.  They sat in silence, he didn't know what to say, no one had ever shown him kindness before.  The food came within minutes.  He started to eat quickly, he hadn't had food in days, let alone a meal.  When he was done, he looked up and Her.
"Are you going to take me away?'
"Yes."
"Where will I go?"
"That's not for me to decide."
A raven landed on the windowsill and cawed.


   A man was walking, almost running, down the sidewalk.  He was late for a meeting.  He went to a nearby garbage can next to the door of a closed diner, and threw a way an empty cup.

"It's a shame," He thought,"They had good eggs."

He continued  his brisk walk down the sidewalk. A few moments later he tripped over something.

"What the.."

He saw a boy laying in his path.

"Get out of the way kid you could hurt someone," the man exclaimed, then he looked at his watch.

"S**t, I'm gonna be late," and he rushed off to his meeting.  He barely thought about the boy that day, and in a weeks time, he'd completely forgotten about him. No one really paid much attention to the boy that day, and eventually his body was taken away.  The men that came to collect him joked that he must have died happy, since there was a smile on the boy's face.

© 2010 James Morgan


Author's Note

James Morgan
Ignore grammar, I know there's probably a lot of run on's an fragments, and other things. The reason the "h" in "him" is always capitalized, is because it's like his name, kinda like how every pronoun that pertains to God is capitalized. Same with the "s" in "she"

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

lovely. I love it. You can tell by your writing that you've been reading Neil quite a bit, he's rubbed off, which is grand. Your writing is improving, I think.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
1 Review
Added on December 30, 2009
Last Updated on January 22, 2010

Author

James Morgan
James Morgan

Rossville, GA



About
I'm just a kid trying to live. more..

Writing
Oculus Oculus

A Poem by James Morgan


Child Child

A Poem by James Morgan


Escape Escape

A Poem by James Morgan