She's A Trooper - Chapter 7

She's A Trooper - Chapter 7

A Chapter by Denise Warner-Gregory
"

Chapter 7 of "Exit, Stage Left"

"

Sometimes, I just have to stand and pace at work, not because I'm upset or angry but because my a*s starts to go numb and I feel like if I don't stand, it'll actually take the shape of a theater seat permanently. This makes Holly nervous. She's just set an iced coffee down for me on the table we have set up in the center aisle. These super long rehearsal days begin about 3 weeks before we open. 

In the early stages of a play, it gets cast, the players work on their lines in open read throughs, round table read throughs, and then finally on the stage. The director works out, among other things, how he/she wants it blocked. This is the actual “staging” of the play. The movement of the characters on stage is extremely important because you don’t want anyone upstaged, or in a dark spot, blocked by another actor, or have their back toward any part of the audience. So, it’s a little tricky to make it look natural yet avoid all the above mentioned things. The actual set is drafted early on, usually when the play is selected, and the direction is done in phases. Everything is taught and learned in an order.  It reminds me of the “Memory Game”. First, you learn your lines, then you learn your lines with the blocking. After that, you do your lines and blocking, and add in the props you’ll be handling. Then you say your lines, move where you’re supposed to move, hold what your supposed to hold, in your costume, and so forth and so on. With that being said, we’re at a critical point because we’re about to introduce props on Monday. Up until now, the actors motion the use of a brush, or handling of something so it’s not a big deal. But, when they actually get an object in their hands, it can distract from the flow of saying the lines, and everyone is a little too....aware, anxious, nervous, uneasy and/or concerned and it’s showing big time this evening. 

I suppose I’m probably coming across a bit restless because it’s been about 3 days since my last date with Liz. Even though we talk every day, our schedules have been pretty busy. Okay, I mean MY schedule has been busy. In between directing this play, I still also manage just about everything else in this building, and juggling it all gets a bit hectic. I’ve been a little nervous to actually ask Liz if she minds going with me to my mother’s tomorrow to pick up the donated props from her neighbor. I’ve been contemplating making it sounds like a quick errand, or making it a formal invitation. I haven’t even decided, but that’s just like me to fly by the seat of my pants at the last minute. I’ll figure it out when I call Liz on my way home tonight. For now, I’ve got a play to direct.


All six actors are onstage in this scene, and they've been struggling with their lines all afternoon. We had a fantastic director up until about 2 weeks ago, when his 73 year old mother took a tumble down some stairs and he'd had to fly to Florida and help take care of her. So, here I am, stepping in because I know the show inside out and was assisting him anyway. Like I've said before, once a show is up and running, I don't have to be here every night. I think I get a bit impatient, when I know those days are coming, yet they're so far away. Not to mention that I've never worked with an all-female cast, either, and these women were driving me crazy. They each have something thing that grates on my nerves at any given time. On days like today, when I've taken an Ativan pill to try and keep myself from blasting off, I'm much better at letting their little idiosyncrasies pass. 


"I can....S**t! Ugh! Line! I'm sorry. What's the line?" says Maddy, who is playing Miss Clairee. It's a little funny how the actors swing in and out of their southern Natchitoches, Louisiana accents to their normal voices so naturally that they don't even notice it.

Not even having to look at the book, I yell "And I can also report that a mysterious car is parked in her driveway once a week.."


Maddy/Clairee repeats it twice to herself with her eyes closed. "Ok, can we start again from there?" she asks, shielding her eyes from the lights, since the lighting techs are working up in the rafters with tints and tracks.

"Yes, go ahead, from Clairee's line," I say, as Holly stands next to me, biting her nail. 

"And I can report that a --"

"Also." I interject.

Maddy/Clairee closes her eyes, clenches her fists and murmurs an insult at herself. She takes a deep breath and picks it up again, with her southern accent on. 

"And I can also report that a mysterious car is parked in her driveway once a week."

I know Holly and I are both thinking the same thing now: Come on, nail the funny line, Brenda/Ouiser. 

"There. My secrets out. I'm having an affair with a Mercedes Benz," says Brenda/Ouiser in a perfect sarcastic southern drawl. This puts Holly at ease enough to walk away. I can feel my shoulders come down from my ears as I involuntarily exhale for what seems like ages. Brenda/Ouiser even knows to pause a moment for the laugh she'll be getting. She’s the oldest of the cast and this is where having a veteran actress pays off. 

The evening rolls on like this, the actors trying to get through their lines, and yelling "Line!" when they get struck, then me feeding them the correct dialog. Last night, they did better because they got to keep their books in their hands, but today, their struggling like I thought they would. The worst part is that they know the lines. I know they know their lines. They’re just get rattled worrying about where to walk to, where to stand, what they’ll be holding in their hands, what they're supposed to be doing at certain times. 

When we sit around and just run lines, they do so much better. 


They hit a few more bumps in the road during this scene before I pipe up and we take a 5 minute break. The ladies rush off to pick up their books and discuss the hot points. Holly rushes back in with a styrofoam box and a plastic fork for me. "Meatball sub, from Leo's. How's it going? Any better?"

"We'll get there."  

"Yeah, it's that time where all the parts come together. First off-book run through is always tough, isn't it?"

"Totally. They know the lines. It's the blocking that's interfering with what their doing."

The faint buzz of the front lobby door rings, and Holly shoots up the steps to go answer it. I swear she's got the calves of a deer with all the running up and down those steps she does. 

"Ok, ladies, let's try not to worry so much about the exact blocking tonight, if you're in the general vicinity of where you need to be, great. If not, no worries and let's not be concerned about who needs to be holding a towel or a brush or a hair dryer, for now. Just focus on getting the lines down at the right pace and pay attention for your cues."

I sit dow at the table, and finally take a sip of my iced coffee.

"Ok, lets go from the top of the Christmas party. Anytime you're ready."

As the ladies get started again, I set my book in my lap, tuck my pen behind my ear, and flip open my food box. Leo's meatball subs are the best in town. The guys who own it are 2 Italian brothers. On my styrofoam box, they have “DEENA” scribbled on it. I corrected them once on the spelling and now they do it on purpose, every time. Fortunately, for us, they are only two doors down the street from the theater, and since we give them a free ad in the playbills, they treat us pretty good. This time Donny, the co-owner, did me proud, with gobs of mozzarella and a toasty parmesan roll. Stuffing in the first bite is like heaven, and usually causes an audible moan, but Whitney/Shelby calls for a line.


With a full mouth, I give it my best shot, "Well, is that it? Is that all your gonna say?"

"What?" says Whitney/Shelby, "I didn't get that...?"

I swallow.

"Sorry. The line is: 'Well is that it? Is that all your gonna say?'..."

"Oh, right, right..got it...."

I wipe my mouth with the napkin. 


Just then, Holly appears again, this time with Liz.


She whispers, "You have a visitor..."  


I stand up, and brush off the crumbs from my toasty roll that are all over my shirt. 

"Hey, hi!"

“Hi, I thought you might still be here," Liz says in low voice, so not to disturb the actors.


Holly stands erect, beaming, with her hands tucked in her back pockets, like a little girl waiting to meet Taylor Swift. Liz has a brown paper bag in her hand, and she's dressed casual.


"Holly, this is Liz. Liz, this is my right arm, Holly."


They shake hands briefly, and I hope to God that Holly doesn't say something stupid like, "I'd love to say I've heard all about you. But, I haven't."


"Nice to meet you, Liz. Dina, I'm going to be in wardrobe for a little bit to see if anything else is needed before the seamstress leaves for the night."


"Thanks, okay. Great." 


"Line!"


Without even having to look, and because my "mother ears" are on, I shout the line for Karen/M'Lynn: "The only thing I have ever said to you, ever, is that I want you to be happy." 


Liz's eye widen, as she sits in the seat next to me, "Wow, not even a glance at the script?" 

"Oh, please, I can recite this thing front to back without looking."  

She smiles, impressed.

She sets the bag on the table and says, "I didn't know if you ate, so I brought you a sandwich and an orange, but I can see you're all taken care of,"   pointing to my sub. 

"Did we...?"

"No, no, we didn't have plans," she smiles, "I just missed you." Jeez, how sweet is that? I can't take my eyes off her.


"Line!"


D****t! First the initial sub bite and now my goo-goo gaze! "Sure there may be risks involved but that's true for anybody."


Again, Liz's eyes widen. "That's awesome! Why don't you act?" 


"Because what I really want to do is direct.."


She laughs at my lame industry joke.


"I do act sometimes. And sometimes I stage manage, sometimes I produce... whatever is needed, really."


Holly returns and creeps up behind my right shoulder. 


"Too late, the seamstress already left. You want me to take over here for a little bit?"


I agree, hand her the book, and take Liz's hand to follow me backstage, up the little steps on the side of the stage, behind the curtains and around to the walkway that leads to the office. Once in my office, I close the door and kiss Liz. I don't even care that I probably have meatball breath. 


"Hi."


"Hi!"


"I'm sorry to bother you at work, I just missed you."


"No, it's okay, I'm happy you came by, I missed you, too."


I lean on my desk and she sits on the chair in front of it. 


"So, you're all done for the day?" I ask, noticing the mess on my desk. 


"Yeah, for a while now. Hon, it's seven thirty." 


I look at my watch. "Wow, it IS seven thirty! Time flies when you're feeding lines."


Just then, a knock on the door to my office, as it opens and Billy, Hannah and Danny are there. 


"Heyyyyy," says Hannah, then stops, surprised that someone is in here with me. 

"Oh, We're sorry! Are we interrupting a meeting?"


"No, no, come on in!" I say, in that pitchy, weird tone, that screams "We weren't doing anything!"

I jump up, so Liz stands.  It's not like my hand was down her pants or anything, but for some reason, I feel like an adolescent caught fooling around behind the bike sheds.


I give Billy and Hannah each a hug, and Danny a high five. He stares at Liz for a long second, and I can see his face react, when it dawns on him where he’s seen Liz before. 


"Hey, you're the lady that threw--" I cover his mouth.


"Danny, you remember this lady? From the cinema?"


Liz laughs, as she realizes what Danny was about to say. 


"That’s me, cinema lady. How are you, Danny?"


"Good! We just came from the pet shop and if I do good on my report card, Mom said I can get a dog when school is out for Christmas time!"


"Oh, wow!" She says, with a big genuine smile. "That's huge!"


"Billy, Hannah, this is Liz. Liz, this is Billy and Hannah. Danny met Liz when we went to see ‘Wreck-It Ralph’ a while ago."


Billy gets a big stupid grin on his face, because he's just now putting together the pieces of my saying  "I'm dating someone. She's nice. It's going good," from last week’s conversation, when I dropped by the store for a set-paint pick up.


"Oh, hi! Nice to meet you," Billy says, shaking her hand. 


"We just grabbed an ice cream after the pet store and saw your car when we passed by, so we thought we'd stop in to see how everything was going," Hannah explains.


"It's going good, a few bumps tonight, but we've got time. It'll come together."


"How's the set? Looking good? Did the sage color work?" Billy asks. 


"Yeah, go look, it's great." He and Danny head back out the door toward the stage. 


"Come on, Mom!" Danny yells.


"Shhh, Danny! Inside voices, the actors are working," she says, looking at Billy, "Bill, please. Don't let him go ape s**t." 


"I got him," Billy says, as they disappear down the hallway.


"He's a little hyper from the ice cream, you know how he gets with sugar," Hannah says, apologetically. 


"He's okay, don't worry. So, sit," I say, pulling over Holly's chair. Liz sits back down where she was. "How are you? How's work?"


"Good, the kid's are getting ready for Halloween," Hannah says. 


"Hannah is the swim coach at Knight-Cross High School," I tell Liz. 


"Oh, how cool, I bet that's fun," she says. 


Hannah chuckles. "Some days it is! But, they're teenagers, so other days, I'd love to punch them in the face."


We all laugh at that, with Hannah’s blonde hair, and bouncy personality, you can't even imagine it. 


Liz gives off such a confident and comfortable air about her that it feels like you’ve known her forever. I can already sense Hannah is at ease and has most likely gathered that Liz is more than a friend to me. 

“So, you must be looking forward to having the holidays off,” says Liz.

Hannah does an exaggerated nod with a giant smile. “Oh, I am.”

“I just can’t believe we’re barreling towards Halloween already, you know?”

“Right? Everything kicks into high gear with Halloween. Then there’s Thanksgiving, and before you know it, it’s Christmas parties, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve...like a speeding train, not stopping until January 2nd” I say. 

“Is your Mom having her usual shindigs?” Hannah asks me. 

“I guess. I mean, I haven’t heard otherwise, so I assume she is,” I say, trying to stay casual about it, because again, not being any kind of relationship guru, I don’t quite know the protocol for the “first holiday season together”. 

“Oh good! I just love her parties! Do you do anything special for the holidays, Liz?”

Liz looks at me, then back to Hannah, then back to me. “Well, I don’t really have a set plan when it comes to the holidays. Seems like every year it’s different. Sometimes I fly back to Chicago to see my family. My sister always does it up big, and other times, I like to just spend the time here, and visit friends or go up to my cabin in Ellicottville, if it’s not rented out and just relax, drink wine, read books, take bubble baths, and enjoy the solitude.”

Both Hannah and I get absolutely lost in that description. Who wouldn’t?!

“Oh my God, that sounds amazing!” Hannah says, “Can you imagine a stress free, calm setting like that for Thanksgiving?” 

I shake my head, trying to conjure up a vision of it. “I’m so used to a house full of people at my mother’s, eight different conversations happening at any given time, banquet tables lined with food, the kids, the adults, the TV blaring football, and my Mom’s pathetic attempt to gear us up for Christmas with her ‘Mariah Carey Christmas’ CD playing underneath all the noise,” I say, painting a vivid picture. Hannah is nodding in agreement, and Liz seems to have a frozen smile stuck to her face. 

Billy and Danny return to the office doorway. “Looks great, if I do say so myself,” says Billy, “I could be an interior decorator!”

“You have a meatball sub out there!” Danny says, like he’s found the Holy Grail.

“I do?!” I say, “Did you take a bite? Be honest.”

“No way! I have too much ice cream in my belly,” says Danny, rubbing his stomach just like Billy does. 

“So, what are you girls talking about?” Billy asks.

“We were telling Liz about Thanksgiving at Stella’s,” Hannah says. It always sounds strange to hear my mother’s name. She’s always Mom to me. 

Billy laughs, “Oh, thats some organized chaos right there!” Now, I’m wondering if we haven’t scared Liz. 

“Sounds so fun,” she says, with big eyes, clasping her hands together in her lap.

“Will you be joining us this year?” Billy asks. Instantly, I feel that one giant bite of meatball sub making it’s way to the pit of my stomach, like an elevator dropping 10 floors. Liz handles it in stride, and very cautiously answers, “You never know,” with a subtle wink in my direction. She clears her throat a bit, “It all depends on what business is like, really. Sometimes, I’m crazy-busy leading up to the holidays, then it slows down. Other times, I’m slower leading into the holidays and then slammed just after, when people are using their gift certificates and stuff. It’s a bit unpredictable.” 

Good answer! Good answer! Man, she’s a trooper!

“Liz owns a day spa in Castleton. It’s gorgeous,” I say, having only been there once, that’s the thing I remember most. It was decorated beautifully, making me want to live in it.

“Oh, nice! Like with with massages and stuff?” Billy asks.

“Yeah, massages, hot stones, cupping, waxing, manicures, pedicures, facials and we even have yoga classes three nights a week,” 

“Oh, I’ll have to check that out for sure! I would love a day of pampering,” Hannah says, eyeballing Billy to take a hint.

“Well, there’s one Christmas present down!” he says, with a thumbs up. 

“Sure, just let me know, I’ll work something out for you,” Liz says.

By now, Danny is getting bored with the adult conversation, and is standing on Billy’s feet, holding his arms. “Do the monster walk!” Billy stomps up and down while Danny holds on, laughing, mumbling “Doooon, Dooon, Dooon” with each step.

“We should get going and let you get back to work,” Hannah says, standing up, “It was so nice to meet you, Liz.”

“You too! Both of you,” Liz says, standing too. 

“Yeah! Hope we get to see you again,” Billy says, unable to tear himself free from Danny, who’s riding that sugar rush, still wrangling Billy’s arms, “and don’t work too hard. It’s getting late.”

“Alright, guys, thanks for stopping by,” I say, at the doorway, as they make their way to the front lobby doors. 

As it slowly quiets down with their exit, I turn to Liz.

“How awkward was that?” I ask, closing the office door and leaning my head against it, before turning around to see her expression.

“Oh, come on. You mean meeting your ex-husband and his fiancé? What’s awkward about that?” She grins warmly, and takes a step closer. “They’re cute,  just like you described, only better because now I can actually see what you meant by ‘Billy’s big dimples’...those are huge! They’re an adorable couple. Really.”

“That wasn’t too weird?”

“Not at all.” 

“Man, I was a little worried about scaring you away,”

“Not a chance,” she says, leaning in for a sweet, melty kiss.

“Good, so...then...maybe you wouldn’t mind coming with me to my mother’s tomorrow? It’s not like an all day thing, I just have to pick up some stuff, and I thought--”

She smiles and kisses me again to stop my rambling.

“I’d love to.”







 







© 2013 Denise Warner-Gregory


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
Added on June 4, 2013
Last Updated on June 5, 2013
Tags: lesbian, comedy, LGBT, gay, book, novel, writing


Author

Denise Warner-Gregory
Denise Warner-Gregory

London, also part time in Florida, USA, United Kingdom



About
Internet Radio show host, writer, wife, comedian and a*****e.....sometimes. more..

Writing