Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Chelsea Schermerhorn

“What are you doing out of your room?” Michaain heard a high pitched voice behind him on his way to his father’s throne room. “Didn’t father banish you to your room?” Michaain turned around to face his seven year old sister, Michellee, who happened to be the biggest tattle-tale in all of Haberuuth. “Just wait till Father hears! And I’m going to be the one to tell him.”

“Good. I need to talk with him anyways.” He replied. “why do you think I am not in my room?”

Michelle stuck her tongue out at him and started to run down the hallway.

“Don’t you hate it when she does that?” a nearby voice spoke, his brother, Miguel. Miguel’s grin soon turned to a frown though. “But why are you disobeying father? Did he call for you.”

“No,” Michaain replied “but it is very urgent that I speak to him.”

“Are you sure you can’t wait ‘til he calls you. If it isn’t what he calls urgent…..”

“I’m sure,” Michaain spoke. “It is more urgent than anyone would know.”

“Good luck with it, then, brother.” Miguel turned and walked off in the direction of his chambers.

“Thank You, Miguel.”

“Don’t mention it.” Miguel said over his shoulder.

When Michaain arrived in his father’s chambers, the Baron was waiting for him with Michellee. “Well Michaain, Michellee told me you would come to see me. What is so urgent a matter that you can’t wait for me to call for you and cause you to disobey me?” Michaain could see the dangerous curiosity in his father’s eyes.

“I will gladly tell you, Father, but not with Michellee here. What I have to say should not befall her ears. She should not hear my words.”

“Very well, Michellee, you are dismissed. Go to find your mother and continue with your lessons.” Michellee left the room in a pout and went to find the Baroness. “Alright, Michaain, speak.”

“Father, I don’t really know how to put this to you, but I just discovered that I have the power to command fire.” Michaain started to mumble and went on and on about being executed.

“Whoa, Michaain. Are you sure it wasn’t just your imagination? Perhaps you fell asleep and dreamt.”

“I am sure; I tested myself twice.” Michaain went on to tell his father what had happened in his room.

“Let us test you one more time. Command the fire in the fireplace.” Michaain turned to the huge stone fireplace and did what he had done in his room to demonstrate.”

“Oh no!” the Baron said.

“Yes,” Michaain said. “ I didn’t know what to do other than come to you.”

“ You did right, my son. If guidance is what you seek, though, I’m afraid you will not be happy with mine.”

“What would you have me do, Father, would you have me executed?”

“Absolutely not! I would have you get rid of the power.”

“How can I be rid of such evil?” Michaain asked. “It is far beyond my control.”

“For some, though, it is not. You would have to travel many long, hard days to reach the Land of Fire, Wind, and Water to find one of them. There is a being, some say elf and some say man, that casts out the evil that causes the power. He is devoted to rid the world of the evil that has enveloped it, but you must go to him. How, I do not know. Some say he uses devils, but how could he cast out devils with the help of devils? Some say that he relies on a higher power than devils. Whatever it is, you must find Him. His name is Christian.”

“How do I find him?” Michaain asked. “How do you know all this?”

“I know because …..well perhaps we should save that for another day, when you are ready. As for finding him, you will have to wait until you are eighteen. You are to young yet, to make the journey.”

“Eight years! What am I to do until then?”

“You must learn to live with and hide the evil.”

“How am I supposed to hide it?”

“You must learn to think of your power as little as possible. Don’t experiment with it and don’t try to control it. You mustn’t use it purposely. It could take over you, then the only choice is execution.”

“I will not even think of attempting it, Father.”

“Good, your journey will begin the day you are eighteen. You won’t go alone, though. I will find a journey companion for you. Until that day I call you, though, I want not one word of your power spoken to anyone. When you are eighteen years of age, you will make the perilous journey to the Land of Fire, Wind, and Water to get rid of your power.



© 2008 Chelsea Schermerhorn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good ...continuing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very nicely written, well done. Thank you for sharing. debileah

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008


Author

Chelsea Schermerhorn
Chelsea Schermerhorn

Bruceville-Eddy, TX



About
I like books of all sorts, old and new, I love it when the words of a book draw pictures in my mind, I love movies of all genres except horror, learning about all things, including history, pop cultur.. more..

Writing