Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Chelsea Schermerhorn

Weeks passed on the ship with Jade being no more than a slave to he pirates and their desires. Her young demeanor was soon stripped of her, and her sixteen-year-old self was gone. It was as if her past life was only a fond dream that she could scarcely remember. This was her life now.

There was only one person on the ship that would show Jade kindness- the errand boy she shared quarters with- but even he would not befriend her, for she was a slave, who would eventually be sold.

Jade had lost all hope in everything. This was who she was, now. This, wench, was the person she had become. She was no longer Jade. Jade did not exist; she was merely a dream in the past.

“You there, boy, bring me Jade.” Duncan said to the cabin boy.

“You’ve no need to send him after me.” said a small voice behind him. As Duncan turned around, she curtsied and added, “As you can see, I’m already here.”

“Ah, yes, I see…” Duncan replied sarcastically. “But why be ye on deck when yer s’posed to be in yer cabin?”

“I’m only doing my chores. I needed to empty my latrine bucket, and came only in time to hear you summon me.” Jade smiled sweetly, but the sarcasm of her words still bit long after her voice faded.

“You were told not to talk down to anyone.” The captain said, walking up to them.

“ I did not talk down to anyone. My words and actions perfectly befit my station.”

“Cadswallop!” shouted Duncan as he slapped her.

“And I did nothing to deserve that.” She bit back tears.

“I’ll show you what you deserve!” Duncan slapped her again and pushed her down on the deck to her hands and knees. He kicked her side and continued beating her, until she was crying uncontrollably.

As Duncan finally finished, the captain approached him, saying, “’Tis time to be rid of her. She’s only trouble and a distraction to the men. If we keep her much longer, she’ll only have a baby and sell for less. Not to mention, she’ll find a way to keep us from finding it.”

“There’s something about her, though, cap’n. It’s as if she’s familiar, but I can’t remember how I know her.” Duncan turned around and looked at Jade, meekly holding the latrine bucket. He walked over to her and lifted up her chin so her eyes met his, “What about it, missy? Can you tell me how I know you?”

She gave no answer, only looked away from his cold eyes. He slapped her again and turned away from her. “Duncan,” she said softly, causing him to turn back around. As he did, she threw the contents of her latrine bucket on him. Duncan tried to move out of the way, but he could not move fast enough. The contents landed all over him, making him scream in rage at her. The scream drew the attention of everyone on the ship, whose eyes turned to Jade. Her look turned innocent as she tried to retreat below deck. Two pairs of strong arms lifted her off her feet as the second mate and navigator stopped her. The cabin boy threw a bucket of water on Duncan to wash away the wastes, and a second bucket just for good measure. Neither did anything for his temper. The captain and another crewman were barely able to restrain Duncan from reaching Jade. “I’ll beat the insolence outta ya!” Duncan screamed at her.

“Let her go!” the captain ordered. As the grips on her arms were released, Jade ran to her quarters immediately, with screams of, “I’ll kill ya!” from Duncan following her.

Stupid! What did you do that for? Jade berated herself. He’s going to kill you! But another part of her, almost like a dream, said, But can death be any worse than what you’ve already experienced? In death, there would be no more of this torture. Nothing could be worse than what you’ve been through, and you have to make them get rid of you somehow. “I think I just did,” she said quietly to herself.

She stayed hidden in her cabin for the rest of the day, awaiting the judgment she was certain would come sooner or later. When the cabin boy came in that evening to rest before his watch, she looked up at him from her seat on the bunk, “Well?” she asked.

“We make for port. Yer to be sold to the first slave trader we come across,” he told her in a voice that betrayed no emotion. “And stay away from Duncan ‘til then. He’s ready to throw ya overboard, first chance.” He handed Jade a cup of water and a piece of bread.

“Thank you, “ she told him, taking it. She ate silently and the laid down to sleep.

As she turned over on her side, he said, “I’m sorry I couldn’t do more to keep them from hurting you all this time.”

“If you had said anything, you would have gotten it, too. Your kindness has been more than sufficient. Thank you for it,” she murmured back to him in reply, but she got no response.

In three days, they had reached port at trading city about 20 leagues south of Northerburge. When the ship was anchored in the bay, Jade heard footsteps just outside of her cabin. Duncan burst in the room and grabbed her arm. She made no effort to fight or resist. When on deck, he pushed her to the side railing, near the ladder. She stepped down into the rowboat hanging on the side of the ship. Jade just stared at her bounded hands in her lap until they reached the docks, not wanting to make any more trouble.

I’m finally getting out! She thought to herself. But then, it’s likely someone just as cruel will buy me. As the boat was docked, Jade didn’t wait for Duncan to pull her up and throw her out of the boat. She quickly stood up and stepped out onto the docks. As Duncan and the crewmen got out of the boat, a small little man came up to greet them.

“Ahoy, my good sirs!” He instantly dismissed Jade. “How may my fair Port Bartren serve you today?”

“We be looking for a slave trader,” Duncan told him bluntly.

The man finally looked at Jade and laughed heartily. “Had your fun with her, have you? I’d buy her off ye meself, but I be having two at home and the mistress wants me to be rid of one.” The man laughed gleefully again. “If it’s a slave trader you seek, you’ll find one in the market who’ll buy her for a pretty penny. If you bargain well enough, you’ll be able to get more than a fair price for her.”

Duncan nodded to the man in thanks, then pushed Jade along the docks. Maybe I could make a run for it, once we get to the streets, Jade thought. But then, I’d only be caught and killed.

As they kept walking further into the city, Jade struggled to push away the thoughts of running away. With how crowded the streets were, she could easily be lost. No, she thought, I can’t run away here. This city harbors too many of the ________ pirates. I’ll only be caught and…Her thoughts broke as Duncan stopped in front of a slave trader’s booth in the market. Her head spun as she took in her surroundings. So many colors…so much noise…Merchants called out their wares; street performers danced, played instruments, and did magic. Even a few of the foreign elves could be seen among the crowds. Street urchins picked pockets as men diced at makeshift tables in between booths. Dogs in the street barked at passing cats, rats, and other small animals among the mob. Her and there, she could see a monkey or two, parrots, and other pets perched on owners’ shoulders. So many colors swam before her eyes. Blues, reds, and yellows all adorned booths cleverly built into the sides of houses, shops, or taverns, along with oranges, purples, and greens. There were people with clothes whose colors she had never seen before that dazzled the eye.

 

Jade could not help but star in wonder at the marketplace, even as Duncan pushed her along through the crowd to a booth that stood near one of the dice games.

Duncan approached the trader in the booth, and said, “They told me you pay fair for women who don’t know their place.”

“Indeed, I do, sir. Step around to the side entrance so I can get a good look at her.” He told a boy sitting in the back of the booth to sell the trinkets taken from the new slaves as Duncan and the crewmen took Jade to the side entrance.

As the slave trader opened the side door, and his eyes fell on Jade, his expression went from pleased to astonished, to worried, all in a second. He ushered Duncan and Jade into the booth, s he looked right and left outside the door. “Uh…would you two mind keeping watch,” he asked the crewmen as he handed them each a few coins. He closed the door quickly. Before they could answer. He rushed ahead of Duncan to a back room, where Dade saw him turn a portrait face down on the mantel. She marveled at how the booth on the outside was built onto the house, and didn’t even pay regard to the trader’s strange actions. She marveled at how the booth on the outside was built onto the house. Duncan came in right after her, hurriedly.

“What price do you want for her?” the trader asked. “Name it, and you’ve got it.”

Duncan eyed him warily before answering, as Jade stared at the man in astonishment. “Why?” Duncan asked. “You don’t know what this wench is capable of.”

“You don’t know who she is?“ the trader asked in disbelief. “Can you keep it quiet if I tell you? If anyone here in were to find out who she is, we’d both be found killed in our beds.”

Duncan leaned forward in question, as Jade looked around, searching for a way out. I don’t know what he’s talking about, but if the bloody man doesn’t shut up, I’ll stick a knife in him myself! She thought frantically, but grew curious as to what the man meant, for who was she?

“I don’t s’pose you’ve heard the legend of the Witch’s Melody?” The man gazed at Duncan as if would have had to be born in a barn to not know the lore.

Jade piped up, “But what has that got to do with me?”

“Hush, wench, or you’ll be sorry,” Duncan stared her into silence. “Continue, man, you know well I’ve heard of it. What mother’s son that calls him pirate hasn’t?”

“But ye know, then, that they aren’t just a myth, the mystic relics created by the Great Ancoura herself?”

“If they were more than a myth, then someone would have found them by now and made hisself king of the world. They’s a legend, they is, and naught can convince me different.” Duncan replied to him. “No one even knows what they is, much less where to find them.”

“Aha, but you see, who was the last known man claimed to know?” The trader inquired.

“Lucas is dead. I saw him killed meself, when he wouldn’t fess up.”

Jade’s thoughts raced as they hadn’t in many weeks. As if the sea had befuddled her brain for so long, the land and clean earth beneath her feet brought her mind and soul back to life. She remembered from so long ago, when…when…

‘Lucas!’ her father ran to hug the tall, stocky man in the bulky coat that bust into their house unannounced. A small boy followed the huge man, who could be only a year or two older than she was. He was bundled up more tightly than the man. what they are, there is no way we’d ever find them without the help of Ancoura herself.’

‘Mercy me! Lucas, how could you bring young Evan out in this storm! And a blizzard, no likely. Come dear, let’s get you out of that wet jacket and cozy by the fire. Jade, go and get young Evan a bowl of stew from the kitchen. Would you like anything Lucas?’

‘No thanks Delia, I need to speak with David. Urgent business, you know.’

As Jade came out of the kitchen, bringing Evan his bowl, she heard her father, ‘Now Lucas, don’t get overexcited. You know as well as I that even if you do know

‘Or Leif,’ Lucas said quietly.

‘You found her?’

‘Yes. You don’t know what a right fix I was in to call for her help, but I couldn’t help it.’ Lucas looked towards Evan who was taking the bowl of stew from Jade. Jade stared into Evan’s eyes as she handed him the bowl. They were the deep blue that is the shade of the dark waters of the sea. She had never seen another person with any other color eyes than the dark green that she had and the brown that was possessed by all others she had ever known in the world. She stared intently into the eyes that were so like hers, so different from everyone else’s. Noticing her rudeness, she quickly looked down at the floor and uttered an apology to him.

‘Tis alright. Your eyes, they are like mine so different than any I’ve ever seen. They are the color of a dark forest, like the one near home.’

‘And yours, they are the color of the sea, such a dark blue…’

‘Jade, ‘tis time to come to bed.’ Delia said in an attempt to get her out of the room. ‘Evan, I have a warm cozy bed lain out for you in the kitchen. No doubt your father will be conversing all hours of the night.’

Jade hurried to her room and climbed under the covers of her bed as her mother came to tuck her in. Kissing her daughter on the forehead, Delia whispered a goodnight to her daughter and then rushed to the front room to quiet down the men.

 

‘Forgive us, Delia, but ye know what this could mean?’ her husband asked her. ‘Whoever were to find these could very well…’

‘Oh, indeed, I know. What could make the sorceress give it all up in the first place? Trouble, I tell ye. It’s no matter for two brainless fools as ye are to go meddlin’ in the magics.’

‘ Come, Delia, do you not want to know where they are? The least that could be done is to keep them out of the hands that would control us. How can you say no to that?’ Lucas said to her. ‘Imagine providing everything for the children that ‘the magics’ could give, the riches and the treasures.’

‘Ye both know well that this is no matter to be discussed in front of the children. Lower your voices, lest they should hear, and the same men be after them as are after you!’ Jade heard her mother.

 

‘Delia, come now, we know where they are. All we need is to take a ship to get them.’

‘And the ones who can work the darn things,’ Delia added.

‘That’s only a myth, my wife.’

‘Like the objects are? If you believe in the objects, then you know very well that they can only be summoned by those who were born with the power.’

‘If that is true, then we’ll find them as well. Leif said that they will be distinctly marked, and besides, they will only be young children now. The objects are on the Ile de Keu. If we can just get there, we will have them.’

‘Lucas, you know that not many will go there.’ David responded, fear filching his voice. ‘Few even know where that god-forsaken place is. How do you expect to even get there?’

‘There are those who are willing, for the right price,’ Lucas answered darkly. He could see young Jade looking in the room with open eyes from her bed. The expression on his face changed instantly, turning from dark forbearance to a wide grin for her. ‘It looks as if we have a little nightwalker here, Delia,’ Lucas pointed into Jade’s room.

Delia hurriedly went and closed the door to her daughter’s small room, putting Jade in complete darkness.

 

What if this was the reason her family disappeared- because her father knew where to find those blasted objects? Why? No one could use them except for those who were…Jade caught the image of herself in a mirror. A pair of dark green eyes stared back at her and shock took over. She had to run; it was her only option. If she didn’t and the pirates discovered who she was.....

As her mind started truly working for the first time in weeks, she went over to the mantle to avoid the men’s suspicion. If I can just see what he hid… Jade reached up and grabbed the portrait the trader had turned face down.

“Father!!!” she screamed. It was the latest portrait of her father, which had stood on her family’s mantle before her family had disappeared. Duncan and the trader ran over to see what she had yelled about. She kicked Duncan harder than ever before, causing him to fall to the ground as Jade grabbed his pistol. The trader stopped as she pointed it at him.

“Where is he?” she demanded, “What have you done with my family?”

“Now, missy, calm yerself down,” the trader said softly. “They’ll be perfectly fine in ye tell me where the objects can be found.”

“Never! Leave the fate of the world in your grimy paws? I’ll die before that happens.” She kicked Duncan once more to ensure he was down. “ You wouldn’t even be able to use the objects if you did know. Only those who are born fort that purpose can wield them. Ask Leif herself, if she’ll speak to you, you dirty dog.”

“Leif? She’s alive? Where can I find her?”

“I don’t know myself, but it doesn’t matter. You will tell me where my family is or I will blow your brains out!”

“I don’t know, honestly!” the trader replied in fear, groveling. All I know is that they are in the hands of the __________ pirates, probably aboard the _______, the lead ship.”

As the trader told her this, something flashed in his eyes- greed, but something else as well…a kind of fear, she though, but of what? Looking less deeply, she could see her own reflection in the almost-black eyes, and behind her…! She wheeled around without thinking and fired the pistol…

Duncan fell back, clutching his chest where he had been shot by his own pistol in the hands of a woman. As he staggered his lips formed the word ‘unbelievable’ but the word would never be spoken. His eyes going glassy, Duncan fell into a pool of his own blood.

Jade whirled back to face the trader, whose eyes were full of shock and fear that he would meet the same fate. Finally realizing the enormity of what she had done, Jade ran, holding on tightly to the pistol.

Having heard the gunshot, the two standing guard tried to grab her before she could get out the door, but, once again, she fired without thinking, and a pirate fell dead. Jade ran on, never looking back. Reaching a place that was a safe distance from her crime, Jade ran into a nearby alleyway and collapsed, tears rolling down her flushed cheeks. What have I done? She cried to herself.

She just sat there and cried, not knowing for how long, and not being aware of time at all. As her tears finally dried, Jade looked up to see a woman observing her from across the alley. The woman wore bright colors that somehow managed to create an illusion as though she was from a different world. The woman’s skirts were flat, unlike any others Jade had ever seen.

“Now dearie, if you’re quite done, I think you will like a nice cup of tea after all that crying. You must be all dried up inside- you’re fair sittin’ in a puddle o’ yer own tears. Come now, let me help ye.” The motherly woman walked over an took hold o Jade’s hand. Pulling her up, the woman got a good look at those green eyes. “Bless me, Child, you’re…!” The lady stopped mid-sentence and looked down the alley both ways. Dropping Jade’s hand and lifting her own skirts, the woman spoke low, “Follow me.”

The woman hurried across the alley where Jade had first seen her. Pushing on a part of the wall that seemed no different than any other, the wall moved in and slid back to reveal a small, wild garden. As Jade followed after the woman, the woman pushed the wall easily back into place. Jade stared at where the alley had been a moment before, no indication on the wall of any door or gateway.

“Now my dear, the Lady Leif wishes to speak with you.”

‘Oh yes, that’s what I want, riches and treasures and gold and jewels. I’ll have you know Lucas Tresorsecan that I do not want troubles like that surrounding my family! And you would do well to keep your son out of it, lest he end up as brainless as you are!’
All of the sudden, she remembered. Berating herself for showing surprise on her face, Jade stared at the men. What would the do? She couldn’t let herself be used anymore, not for anything, particularly the ruination of the world.



© 2008 Chelsea Schermerhorn


Author's Note

Chelsea Schermerhorn
the blanks are missing names that Dan and I have not yet come up with.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

698 Views
1 Review
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on June 20, 2008


Author

Chelsea Schermerhorn
Chelsea Schermerhorn

Bruceville-Eddy, TX



About
I like books of all sorts, old and new, I love it when the words of a book draw pictures in my mind, I love movies of all genres except horror, learning about all things, including history, pop cultur.. more..

Writing