How It Feels to See Your House on TV

How It Feels to See Your House on TV

A Story by Dalia Derrick
"

I currently live with my family in Toronto, in a mansion where the pilot of the show Gilmore Girls was filmed. If you’re curious about my experience living in a “famous house,” read on.

"



Once upon a time, there was this quirky TV show called Gilmore Girls. It aired from 2000 until 2007 and explored the relationship between a thirty-something single mother, Lorelei, and her teenage daughter, Rory.


I’m a huge fan of the show. I’ve always admired the close relationship between mother and daughter. Even now, years later, I still watch reruns with the same level of enthusiasm. Their love of movies, the snappy dialogue and compelling characters make me come back again and again, even if by now I can recite most of their lines in my sleep. I have to admit though; I have an ulterior motive for watching the show religiously. I live in the Gilmore mansion.


It’s pretty peculiar to live in a house that served as an inspiration for the set of a hit TV show. That imposing mansion owned in the TV show by Lorelei’s parents, Emily and Richard, currently houses my extended family. Part of the pilot was filmed in our home here in Toronto. The interiors were recreated on a soundstage after the show was picked up, but you can still see some exterior shots during the show’s seven season run.  


We bought the house in 2009. We heard that the pilot of Gilmore Girls was filmed here and it made me curious to see what all the fuss was about. I started watching back-to-back episodes right away. Actually being able to live in Emily and Richard’s home was mesmerizing. Producers made a few changes when recreating the sets. The house also went through some remodeling since the pilot of Gilmore Girls aired. Despite all this, I still feel incredibly lucky to live in such an imposing, yet warm residence.


I’m 17 and have two older brothers, both married. My parents decided that purchasing a bigger home and moving the whole family in was a good idea, so they all used their savings, and… well, here we are. We moved here from my childhood home in Scarborough, Ontario when I was about 13. I’ve loved living here every minute since.


The mansion is huge. We have five bedrooms, three bathrooms, a family room, dining room, and a spacious kitchen. One of the bedrooms on the ground floor was transformed by my father in his home office.


The main difference between my home and the fictional Gilmore residence is that ours doesn’t have a pool house. We do have a pool, however, and a nice yard. Our family room and dining room look very similar with the ones recreated for the show. I used to watch episodes of Gilmore Girls in front of our fireplace and marvel at the resemblance. It’s a weird feeling " seeing your home featured in a TV show " but it’s also kind of flattering.  I spent many hours imagining about how the actors and producers were walking around our home more than 10 years ago, having coffee in the kitchen and chatting on our terrace. It always leaves me with a warm feeling of joy. Knowing that the mansion I live in is a small part of the Gilmore universe makes me feel closer to the show and its characters.


I am also fascinated by Stars Hollow, the quirky town where Lorelei and Rory live. The town is fictional. However, the pilot was filmed in Unionville, a small town near Toronto. I passed through it many times, but never paid much attention. Until about two years ago, when I decided it was time to take a closer look. It’s a charming little town. It’s only about 30 minutes from downtown Toronto, but it feels like a totally different world. If you’re curious, take a look here and here.


My house may not be as famous as others, but if you are a fan of Gilmore Girls, I’m sure that you can understand my fascination. Although I started watching after the show was off the air, I’m not ashamed to say that the character of Rory had a huge influence on me. I’m leaving for college soon. I actually contemplated the idea of moving to the United States, and applying to Yale, just as she did. I’m still thinking about this possibility, but haven’t made a decision yet.


I was never as enchanted by any luxury apartment from Sex and the City, another show I enjoy, as I am by Lorelei and Rory’s little corner of the world. I like to think that, somewhere out there, Lorelei is still talking really fast and Rory is off saving the world. However, until a reunion happens, I’m pretty comfy in the Gilmore mansion.

© 2014 Dalia Derrick


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1284 Views
Added on November 27, 2013
Last Updated on April 22, 2014
Tags: See Your House on TV, house on TV, house, TV show, my home in TV show, Gilmore Girls house

Author

Dalia Derrick
Dalia Derrick

KS



About
Dalia Derrick is a 27-year old freelance graphic designer currently living in Kansas. She sometimes blogs about current events, education and real-estate. Proud dog owner. more..

Writing