Tips for Getting a Promotion at Work

Tips for Getting a Promotion at Work

A Story by Dalia Derrick



Getting promoted at work is tougher than ever. Besides working hard, you must develop strong work relationships with colleagues and always act professional. We have some tips that will help you get ahead faster. Take a look.


It’s no secret that employees want to get noticed and feel appreciated. Always being focused on the job will allow you to succeed and excel in your position. However, in today’s competitive business environment, working hard isn’t always enough to get you promoted. Helping your colleagues and developing relationships with them is as important as making sure you finish all your tasks on time.


Operating in survival mode at work is unproductive and mundane. Work towards creating your career path and developing new skills. Advancing in your career will give you the certainty that the company acknowledges your efforts. We have some tips that will help if you are working towards a promotion. Read on.


Work hard




Respect deadlines, deliver timely results and always be on top of your game. Make sure you are able to control your work computer from anywhere, in order to handle last-minute changes or updates on projects and presentations.  Concentrate on doing the best you possibly can in your current position. Punctuality and good attendance are important. If you have excellent performance reviews, your chances of getting a promotion are higher.


Do more than your job description




Be willing to go the extra mile if the company needs it. Always look around for new possibilities to show off your skills and expertise. Come up with new strategies for the company or think about improvements that can be made to the workflow.


Help your colleagues




Helping your colleagues be successful is more important than you might think. By offering your help you show self-confidence and that you value teamwork. Guiding your colleagues and being passionate about it will help you get noticed faster. At the same time, make sure you learn everything you can from them " building strong work relationships will help you advance faster. Office politics will often play a role in who gets promoted, so use your people skills. Don’t be afraid to network with people from outside your department.  A good recommendation from one of them can go a long way.


Keep a positive attitude




Avoid blaming others when things don’t go your way. Be a problem-solver. Complainers who expect other people to solve all the problems won’t even be considered for promotions. If a difficult situation arises, come up with effective solutions. Only then inform the boss about the issue, along with your plan of dealing with it. Do your best to keep a positive outlook on things, even in tough situations.


Act professional at all times




Always dress professionally and neatly. Be a cooperative and reliable employee. If possible, make a name for yourself in your field by publishing articles and attending conferences. Keep a record of everything you do that enhances the company’s results and shows your commitment and loyalty.


Avoid being a clock watcher. Instead, focus on how to achieve great results in your current position and get more involved with the company. Be responsible and productive. These tactics will help you get noticed and advance quickly.  

© 2014 Dalia Derrick


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2261 Views
Added on December 3, 2013
Last Updated on October 8, 2014
Tags: Promotion at Work, work relationships, act professional, developing relationships, career builder

Author

Dalia Derrick
Dalia Derrick

KS



About
Dalia Derrick is a 27-year old freelance graphic designer currently living in Kansas. She sometimes blogs about current events, education and real-estate. Proud dog owner. more..

Writing