How to Visit Boston on a Budget

How to Visit Boston on a Budget

A Story by Dalia Derrick



Although Boston was recently named the most expensive city to visit in the U.S., there are plenty of ways to enjoy a trip to the biggest city in New England on a budget. Check out this article for some useful advice on how to cut your expenses while visiting Boston.


Boston was recently ranked as the most expensive city to visit in the U.S. However, potential visitors shouldn’t feel discouraged �" there are a few ways to visit Boston on a budget. If you’re not picky about accommodation and you take advantage of the city’s great public transportation system, there’s no reason why you can’t afford a trip to New England’s biggest city.


Boston has a thriving arts scene, numerous historical landmarks and magnificent architecture. It would be a shame to miss all of this just because you haven’t done your research before planning your trip. We have some tips that will save you a few bucks during your visit to the city. Take a look, below.


Look for cheap hostels and hotel deals




If you are visiting Boston with your friends, forget about extravagant hotels and look for cozy hostels. Even if you won’t be staying in one of Boston’s luxury properties, the price will be fair and the conditions decent. Backpackers Hostel & Pub and Friend Street Hostel are only two options�" both with rates that don’t exceed $50 per night, before taxes. If you’re planning a trip with the whole family, look for deals online. Here you can compare rates from many hotels, motels and inns. This will allow you to choose the best option available. 


Take advantage of public transportation




The city has a fairly good public transportation system. It’s not too complicated to figure out, either. Forget about pricey rentals or cabs �" take the subway or a bus instead. This way, you will considerably reduce your vacation budget. You can plan trips on the MBTA website. There are also apps available to show you when the bus or subway will arrive at a particular stop. Get a free Charlie Card to save money on rides and get free transfers. Paying for your ride just requires you tap your card and go.


If you plan on traveling a lot around the city, consider buying a LinkPass. You’ll get a day (for $11) or a seven days (for $18) of unlimited travel on the bus, subway, and inner harbor ferry. These can be added onto your Charlie Card and purchased at any subway station.


Look for affordable restaurants




Boston’s Hidden Restaurants is a useful website that allows you to look for cheap places to eat. You can search restaurants by cuisine, region or price. You can find affordable burgers, tacos and pizza slices everywhere. You should also consider buying some groceries and preparing some meals at the hotel, if possible.


Cheap Boston attractions




If you’re visiting Boston, a walk down The Freedom Trail is a must. The route will take you past 16 of the city's most historically significant sites. You can walk it yourself to save some cash, but a guided tour only costs around $13. Students, seniors and children benefit from discounts. A tour of the legendary Fenway Park costs about the same, and is almost as enjoyable as an actual game. A swan boat ride in Boston’s public garden can be a memorable experience for the whole family, at the low price of $3 per person. Castle Island is a delightful place to walk around �" it offers beautiful views of Boston, various islands and the harbor. And it’s free! Consider buying a Go Boston Card, which will offer you free access to 53 Boston attractions.


There is a lot to do in Boston. If you spend some time doing your research, you will be able to enjoy everything the city has to offer at a lower price. 

© 2013 Dalia Derrick


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2051 Views
Added on December 12, 2013
Last Updated on December 12, 2013
Tags: Boston, Visiting Boston, Boston hotels, Boston public transportation, Boston restaurants, Boston attractions

Author

Dalia Derrick
Dalia Derrick

KS



About
Dalia Derrick is a 27-year old freelance graphic designer currently living in Kansas. She sometimes blogs about current events, education and real-estate. Proud dog owner. more..

Writing