Love Is Not A Song

Love Is Not A Song

A Poem by The Winter Grey
"

To hope, or the staggering lack thereof.

"

Tempt me from tomorrow and convince me how to feel.

The gleam and glint of moonlight through a crack in the windshield.

 

Persuasions, petty scorn, laughing at the thought of fear.

Hope beckons like a single slash of color through the drear.

 

There was no sign, no blinding light.

 

You made your valiant promise, that love would conquer all,

Now hurl me from your tower and resurrect me from the fall.

 

I thought if I fought hard enough then I could change your mind.

The night is burning down, the ties that bind your heart unwind.

 

There was no sign, no blinding light.

There is no us, no not tonight.

 

Love is not a song on the radio.

Two actors in a picture show.

The dog-eared pages of a diary.

 

Love is just a deadline to meet.

Fumbling in the backseat.

But never what you meant to me.

 

Don't you dare lecture me about diamonds in the rough.

Forfeit your forebearance - who I am is not enough.

Take anyone you can, what you feel not what you find.

Love is not what you have followed, it's what you left behind.

 

There was no sign, no blinding light.

There is no us, just me tonight.

© 2012 The Winter Grey


Author's Note

The Winter Grey
Sometimes, no matter how hard you fight for something, it isn't enough. Love is not like the movies, where the hero always gets the girl. In real life, the hero has sit down and take the cruel slap of rejection, or suffer the silence of unrequited wrongs.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I delight in your choice of words. "Tempt me from tomorrow." It pulls you right in. You paint vivid pictures with your metaphors leaving the reader eager for more. You end just as strong "Love is not what you have followed,it's what you left behind. One sentence so full of emotion leaves the readers heart aching. Beautiful poem.Thanks for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There are certain people who come into your life and change the fabric of it, how it weaves in the mind, how it feels, tastes. smells, glistens and when they are gone the world becomes bleak, without color or substance, this poem is two years old April, I always did hate that month, but for some, there was indeed a light, just not everyone was able to see it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow!!! For some reason I feel like I recieved a dressing down quite firmly. (just read that way..sorry) Like you were blaming one...but accepting it a the same time. Making them understand why they should be humbled too...pointing to yourself though for wrongs as well.
"Forfeit your forebearance - who I am is not enough"
they should be humble...- you accept the blame...hmm..complex simplicity..I love it :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I delight in your choice of words. "Tempt me from tomorrow." It pulls you right in. You paint vivid pictures with your metaphors leaving the reader eager for more. You end just as strong "Love is not what you have followed,it's what you left behind. One sentence so full of emotion leaves the readers heart aching. Beautiful poem.Thanks for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What I noticed right away is the good use of single and double lines, each poetic thought excellently broken up in phrases, as well as lots of good metaphors and poetic richness, good poem.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

350 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 7, 2012
Last Updated on April 7, 2012

Author

The Winter Grey
The Winter Grey

Coffeeville



About
Name: Dalton Lee Marks Age: Unknown Height: Quite short. Weight: Quite light. Hair: Black, curly, too long for its own good. Eyes: Light blue, encircled by a halo of darker blue. Rel.. more..

Writing