Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by DaneJustify

Chapter 2

A New Friendship


Aubrey smiled then turned her head to her computer and turned to Will for a question. I knew we had to speak eventually so I figured I'd make the first move.

Hey Hannah.”

Yeah?”

I froze. It was like every inch of my body seized up with fear.

Uh...Um...I...”

You OK?”
“Um yeaaaah...can I ask you something?”

Yeah sure.” she kept typing for her last sentence before I heard the final click of the keys. “What's up?” she said with a small smile. “Would...Wha...Wa...co...Texas...” I said, mentally throwing a chair at myself. “Another nine nine reference, love it! Seems like you want to ask me something though...” she smiled and waited. “Well, you wouldn't be wrong...um...you see...I like...you- How I met your mother! A lot. And I was wondering if maybe, possibly, there was a chance we could watch it together.” I said, too slowly. Mentally screaming now. “Sure! But how would we watch it together?” she asked, delighted. “Sorry I was just- wait you said yes? Oh! Well, I was thinking you'd...” I stopped, clearing my throat. “Come over to my house in like...two weeks?” I said as my brain clocked out. Probably not wanting to see the failure. I sagged and closed my eyes, one eye slowly opened. She was still smiling, she slowly nodded. I smiled and turned to Aubrey. I tapped her on the shoulder and passed her a note. She gasped loudly and sharply looked around before mouthing a gasp even wider than the previous one. She smiled and gave me a small pat on the shoulder and gave me a we'll-talk-later-wink. I wasn't sure what to do now. I spent the rest of the class thinking about how that night would go.


I opened the door and walked in, I smelt pizza and...exhaled.

Dad. This is the best night. In just...ever.” he smiled and then smiled even wider.

Who's the girl?” he asked, slightly inclining his head.

That...reminds me, a...friend is staying over.”

Overnight?” he asked, sipping some drink.

I...maybe.”

OK.” he said, giving a thumbs up. “Now, whose the girl?”
“Hannah.” I said, he smiled and I explained who she was.

Wow, sounds like...” he said, looking off at a picture.

Sounds like you and mum?” he stood perfectly still, then all of a sudden he looked back to me and smiled, teary-eyed. “Yeah...yeah it does.” he told me years later, that he was teary eyed because he saw himself in me and realised how far he'd come. Around 2 weeks later, we were eating when a knock was at the door.

Is that her?” I nodded and he smiled, I stood to go to the door and stopped, turning to him. “Don't be nervous. By all means.” he said, spreading an arm to the room. I walked to the door and opened it, saw her standing there but she was a zombie... I knew you'd get that reference! Anyway yeah I saw her well, you standing there. Shall I just keep referring to you in that tense? OK. Anyway I saw her standing there. She smiled and I stepped closer for a hug before stepping back and went for the handshake. She walked in.

Hello Mr Jackson.”

Oh please, call me Michael...” he smiled and she chuckled. “Only joking, call me Paul if you like.” she nodded and motioned if she could go upstairs. He nodded and toasted the air with his scotch glass as we walked up.

Your house is really nice.”
“Thanks.” we walked into my room and she sat on the edge of the bed. I hadn't the first idea what to say. “Should I put how I met your mother on?” I asked. “Sure.” she replied, with a small smile. I put on my favourite show and the night went by in a flash. Little Flash joke? No? Aww man. We watched around twelve episodes before she had to leave, we got to the door laughing and she stepped on the porch.

I can't believe Barney did that!” she said, lightly clutching her chest.

Its just what he does! Self-five!” I said and she laughed. She turned to me and stood on the porch, her beautiful hair swinging with her. "So...uh...that was fun." I said, wondering what the hell people say in these situations. "Yeah it was...so um..." she said twirling her hair with her finger and looking at the porch. I wanted to kiss her so badly. Yeah we did move fast eh? Anyway, she stood there staring for a few seconds and I took a step forward and my palm rested on her cheek as I pushed herup against the wall just outside my house and we stopped. Inches away from kissing.

"I didn't...read this wrong did I? I said, raising an eyebrow.

"No! No...I just...have never done this before." she said as I felt her warm breath.
"Me neither." I replied Gloriana lyrics rushing into my head. Yeah that one! Pushed you up against the wall- amazing song right? Yeah! Anyway she let go a tiny bit, turned and saw her mum's car pulling up, not too far away. She let go immediately, clearly happy for the excuse.

"I'm so sorry but my mum...she wouldn't understand. Um...talk to you?”

I felt the most awkward I have ever felt as I nodded and went inside. Collapsed on my bed and...didn't sleep for a while.

I awoke the next day, blurry eyed.

Hey slugger! Up you get!” Dad said. I sat up and looked at the clock. After some calculations I figured out it was 10am. I got up, got dressed, brushed my teeth and had a shower. Then ran downstairs and almost slipped.

Some leftover pizza in the...what's wrong?” he turned to face me.

I exhaled.

I told him everything. “Ah...okay. I'll let you figure it out, feel like you should figure it out on your own. But I will say this can still work, trust me. But any advice you want I'm here for you” he said, I felt truth in his words. I nodded and checked my phone. I saw some messages from Ezra and Hannah. I responded to both.

Ezra

Hey man you OK?

How was it?

I just heard. Meet me at Cafe Pomelo.

On my way.

Hannah

I'm so sorry

I told Ezra by the way, he insisted it was okay so I'm sorry if it wasn't. We'll talk later okay?

It was okay. See you then.

I put the phone away. Immediately bid my dad farewell and ran to Cafe Pomelo.

I saw Frank the ol' lumberjack who helped the locals out sometimes. Frank was trying to get his dog out of the car. He had parked his truck which had a huge sticker along the side that read:

1986 PROM KING BABY!

Smiling, I went inside seeing Ezra sitting with a hot chocolate. He motioned for me to come over.

You okay man?” he said, looking outside at Frank who had gotten his dog in the car but now wanted food.

Yeah I am.” He gave me that look.

Okay fine I'm not okay. She just left at the worst moment...What?”

Ezra was looking behind me, turning swiftly, I saw Hannah at the counter, her hair flowing in a wave of brown beauty. She was seemingly ordering something.

What are you gonna do?” Ezra asked. I stood noticing a blue jay landing on the windowsill as I walked, I took a deep breath and tapped her on the shoulder. Watching her hair flip around and seeing her face again brought about a sense of warmth deep within.

Oh. Um, hi.” Hannah said, not meeting my eyes. Mixed caramel scent filled the air as her drink was put down on the counter.

Seven fifty miss.” Hannah frantically rummaged through her bag and came up with nothing. She immediately went deep red and stared at her bag, her grey eyes going back and forth. A ten pound note slapped against the counter as a broad shoulder yelled out to clear the way. I turned to see Frank, covered in grime and dirt in his overalls. He grabbed his bag of food.

On me darling. Just remember next time yeah?” He cracked a gap toothed, yellow smile and walked out, “OI RUTH GET ME THE PAPER!” his dog happily diving out of the car into his arms. He scratched behind her ears “Can't stay away can ya?” he said.

The cashier smiled at Hannah as she chuckled to herself, closed her bag and bit her lip in deep thought. “I'm really sorry about last night Ryan, we can talk later.” I nodded as she ran out. “MISTER! HEY MISTER THANK YOU!” she said.

I walked back to Ezra slowly, solemnly, smuglessly.

Look man, its not over. I'm sure you two can rekindle it.”

No offence man but its a little easy for you to say. You're like the perfect guy.”

Ezra raised an eyebrow and looked confused. “What are you talking about?”

Dude come on, I know at least 6 girls who have had a crush on you in the past year, you're athletic, popular, everyone loves you. Next to you I'm like old soup someone tried to throw away.” I replied, he looked confused and a little sad.
“I had no idea you felt that way man. But we'll discuss that later. Right now its not about me. Its about her. She clearly likes you, and you're well...you.” He said, dramatically folding his arms.

I scoffed, rolled my eyes and stared. Knowing he was right, we decided to just talk about it later. Had some coffees and talked and laughed. Like the old days.


Hours later, while sitting at home my phone buzzed. Hannah.


You okay to meet?


Yeah should be


I'm here already. See when I see you.


On my way.


As I walked I got a call from Aubrey. Not thirty steps away from the bright neon signs, just behind a bush.


Hey what's up?” I said, then heard her choke up a sob. “Hey, hey what's wrong?” she took a deep breath. “Can you come over?” I stood, biting my lip in thought. “Yeah sure just give me a minute.”


Hannah I can't make it something's come up.


You okay?


Yes, fine.


Then see you soon.


I closed it and went back to the call. “What's wrong?” I said into the buzzing phone as rain started to pour down like a mortar from Zeus's kin.


My...” she choked another sob. “My grandma died.” I closed my eyes. Turned and ran to her house.


I arrived at the viridescent, old bushes and jogged to the door. I went to knock when it opened.


“Please be quiet, my parents have left to go to her house. I needed someone to talk to and my sisters asleep. And-” I closed the door as quietly as I could and hugged her, tight. She sobbed and buried her head into my chest. The darkness lapped at the air as I hugged her, we sat on the porch, facing the road.


About 5 minutes later she lifted her head and I kissed her on the forehead.

“What's up?” I asked. She shook her head repeatedly and then choked up.

“Thank you Ryan. I needed this, so much has gone wrong.” I pulled her away and put both of my hands on her shoulders, her eyes drifting to the ground.


“Hey. Hey. Look at me. Your grandma...I know she's proud. She'll rest easy. You're amazing Aubrey. You'll find someone I'm sure of it. ”


Aubrey scoffed and smiled, wiping her eyes. “You're just saying that.” she said, her eyes red.


I smiled and put an arm around her shoulder. “I mean it. You're amazing. You're a gift.”


She laughed and said “Remember that time when Will tried to do a backflip?” I smiled and nodded as she laughed even louder this time. “He was so determined!” I laughed along with her as the night accepted us into it. Maybe a half hour later her parents were almost home.


“They just messaged?” I asked, she nodded. “You should go. I'm okay!” she said, I smiled and hugged her again. I walked off into the night, going back home. Fireflies plagued the air as a certain smoky smell entered my atmosphere, just the smell around our area. I eventually got home, opening the door and walking in. My dad was on the couch, on the phone smiling a lot. I quietly shut the door and listened, just out of sight.


-you gotta understand something okay? I can not, and frankly, will not be coerced into letting you cook dinner again. Not on this rare night.” he took a second and then laughed. “No! No im telling you I wont. Oh don't do that. you know I can't say no to that face. Fine, but in exchange, you stay an extra hour. Two?! Absolutely. You can burn the place down.” He chuckled heartily. “Oh okay. Goodnight.” He hung up the phone and put it down.


Dad?” I said, as he turned and flashed a smile. “Was that...mum?” he nodded.


She's coming tomorrow morning, flying in now. She can only stay for tomorrow but...she's coming.” my eyes lit up. I couldn't stop the big, stupid grin from forming. And yes it was the same grin I had when I married you Hannah. I saw a small tear in my dads eyes, his wrinkles pulsing out wistfully. He was like me, but just...older. Wiser. He stood and exhaled. Like his body was singing its own little songs of happiness. At the time my mother was working overseas almost all the time. She could rarely ever see us so it was absolutely a special occasion every single time. And every single time my dad would go all out. She'd come home to some kinda surprise, or some kind of reference to their relationship. Yeah I learned that from him. I'm glad you like it! What's that? There's a bird? Aww look at him go. Oh yeah the story. Lets move on to the next big part.




© 2024 DaneJustify


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on March 22, 2024
Last Updated on March 22, 2024


Author

DaneJustify
DaneJustify

Bolton, Bolton, United Kingdom



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by DaneJustify