His Breeze

His Breeze

A Story by Lucas Grasha

She was told to go into the funeral viewing; she wasn’t sure why she was there. There really wasn’t a reason for her to be there, since she could not do anything for the man that now lay in the casket. In the will, one of the people told her, was the want for her to come to the funeral. So, she felt the slight obligation to do so, even though she’d lost her feelings of love for the dead man long ago.

            In the funeral home, sat his body; still, and filled with embalming fluid, there he was. She cried on the sight of him, a tear rolling down her right cheek and making a small bit of her mascara run. Her eyelashes fluttered above her eyes to bat away the tragedy of the tears. There wasn’t a part of her that still loved this man, but there was the part of her that still belonged to him, the part that he’d kept.

            When they were together, he always used metaphors, for he was a poet, a musician, and a writer. He loved putting things into phrases that she always didn’t quite understand the first time, but always had a deep, symbolic meaning. If he were to have had a nickname, it surely would’ve been ‘Allegory’.

            This funeral service that she attended was small; only a few people were in the place. It was nothing compared to the school’s memorial service, although, they did not have his body on display. The school thought that it would scare people, so they closed the casket and just put up a picture of him with flowers around the pine and oak box.

            Elizabeth remembered seeing people make the motions of the Christian, ‘father, son, holy ghost’ when they passed by his casket. A few people cried; those few people did include Elizabeth, even though she did not cry in public. In the crowd, she tried to hold back her tears as much as possible. The people who were closer to him fared worse than Elizabeth, balling their eyes out as waterfalls bucketed down from their tear ducts. With the people doing the, ‘father, son, holy ghost’ motions, Elizabeth didn’t feel exactly comfortable with that, mainly because she was still an agnostic. Even when she’d mentioned to him that she wanted to believe again, and he offered to help her, she declined and he understood. She didn’t know that when people would do the hand motions as they passed by his casket, that if he were there, viewing himself, he would’ve scolded any one of the people who’d performed those hand motions. Since the time of the two of them, they’d never spoken a word to each other. She had no idea that he’d changed faiths, from Christianity, to whatever form of shamanism he performed. He probably hated the religion, but under normal circumstances would’ve been tolerant of it. But this was his funeral; he would’ve pierced a spear through anyone’s chest who dared to bring that faith to his body.

            Elizabeth remembered this all, and was now reminded as to why there was a Native American shaman acting as a priest would at a funeral. She watched the shaman perform whatever rituals he was doing for the dead; there wasn’t a single one that she understood. Maybe, if she’d known him a little longer, to see him become a shaman, she would’ve been told the symbolism of the religion. But at any rate, the funeral proceeded.

            It seemed fitting for Elizabeth to go up in front of the casket where the shaman had been and to say her own eulogy for the man in the casket. She uneasily looked upon him and then to the crowd. Her hand leaned on the oak box as a sort of base for her.

            “I knew him…” Elizabeth said. “…we’d dated, and he’d told me he loved me. If I had every single second in a year to say how many times he said that he loved me, there wouldn’t be enough time…” Her voice was normally weak, but somehow it carried a little stronger. The tone of her voice seemed changed a little bit as well. “…I told him that I loved him. And…” A tear rolled down her face. “…and, he was sweet…he was funny, he was such a good writer…” Another tear fell from her face. “…and he was amazing.”

            She lingered up where she was for a while longer, and then sat back down. The funeral service proceeded as was planned, and his casket was carried to a nearby cemetery. Despite his will to be cremated, and for his ashes to be buried beneath the ground in Ireland, his parents couldn’t afford to do such a thing, so they settled. The Native American shaman warned the parents about not following the wishes of the dead, but they seemed to ignore the shaman. Elizabeth was intrigued by this individual, so when they were at the cemetery and he was leaving, she stopped him when he was halfway out of the cemetery.

            “Hey, um…” Elizabeth said.

            “What is it that you want, Elizabeth?” The shaman said.

            “Wait, how do you know my name?”

            “I am a shaman; we see many things, and know many things. We know some things before they happen, and know some information before we receive it; like how I knew your name, even before I’ve heard it said.”

            “Would he have been like you?”

            “I did not know him in this life…at least, to the point where I could shake his hand. But, at some point, I did pick up his energy. He was quite strong in that area…although, he was near a vortex, so that added to how well I could sense him. But as for how much he was like me, I don’t know. I know that he could sense spirits, and that he could use a dousing pendulum, and performed his own interpretation of my people’s magick, but I do not know how similar he and I were.”

            “Can I ask you something…?”

            “You want to know about the afterlife, correct?”

            “This, knowing what I want to say before I say it thing, is getting a little weird…”

            “I know that…most people do not react the best to it their first time of encountering anyone likened to me. He believed in the Summerlands, which would be like a heaven, a place where you can do all that you wish to ever do. But when you are ready to leave the Summerlands, you will be reincarnated. I just believe in a spirit world, I call it the Otherside; he called it that too, sometimes, if I remember correctly. But take this note…” The shaman handed Elizabeth a note. “…it was from him to me. I managed to channel his spirit to write this for you. It is even in his handwriting; mine is much different from his, so I know that it was him. And besides, you would recognize his handwriting. One more thing I may add, as it is very important…” The shaman got down onto one of his knees to look into Elizabeth’s eyes, as he was very tall, and she was rather short. “…tonight, you will feel His Breeze. It will come from the Otherside. I cannot tell you when you will feel His Breeze, because it will be a surprise; but you will know when it happens.” The shaman returned to his feet. “May good spirits be upon you, Elizabeth.”

            “I guess, the same to you?” She replied. The shaman just smiled.

            “One day you may discover some of the same things that I have.” He turned to walk away. Elizabeth wanted to ask him what that meant, but she knew he wouldn’t answer her question. So, she turned to her parents, and they took her home.

            She cried some more on the car ride home.

 

            Night fell upon her home, and she readied herself for sleep. She decided to read the note given to her by the shaman before she would go to sleep. She became comfortable in her bed, and opened up the folded note, and began to read it. It read,

            “Lizzie…

            I’m having the shaman write this, as I’m sure that he’ll tell you. I knew that you were going to attend my funeral, and I had contacted that shaman to perform my death ceremony. I was annoyed at the memorial service, and of how informal that it was, so that’s one reason I had the shaman. Anyway, this is sort of a, ‘hello, how are you?’ type of scenario. I didn’t exactly intend it to be like this…I wanted us to talk at least one more time before this had all happened, but I just didn’t have the courage to do it…

           

            Truth be told, I’m scared of you. I’m scared because you hurt me so badly…when you said our love was over, and you didn’t give any reasons other than, ‘it just ended’, that’s what broke my heart the most. I would’ve been able to let go of you if you told me why we couldn’t be together anymore. I always suspected that you did it from peer pressure…I had some of my friends tell me that was what happened (I won’t mention names). And then someone did say that you thought that you might marry me…I was enthralled at that statement, but you denied that you said it (I still think you said it). But, I’m a dead man…and dead is dead.

 

            The truth is, I never got over you, and I’m sure you know that. I never truly loved again because of the scars you gave me. It was like someone took a blade and carved out my arms and expected the removed flesh to heal again.

            But, I do have to say…you gave me the best moments of my life. I’d never felt more alive, and I’m glad you were the person to make me feel alive. You sparked something in me that ignited a colossal fire within my writing and my creativity. I could never thank you enough for all that you’ve done for me, and all that you’ve given me, whether you think that you were responsible for it or not. And still, most importantly of all…

 

            I love you.”

 

            Elizabeth felt a wave of warmth run through her body; it was almost like she could still feel him next her, his warm hand in her ever-cold palm. She heard something drop on the floor, and looked to where the noise was. There was a pendant on the floor, and immediately, Elizabeth linked that pendant to the dousing pendant the shaman spoke of earlier. She picked it up, and straightened it out so that it stayed as still as possible. Then, it started to spin in a circle for her, and she heard his voice say, “This is yours now…figure out how to use it. I know you will.”

            She kept the pendent in her jewelry box; a safe place for any of her belongings. She went to sleep, and turned out the light in her room. That night, she dreamt of him; how his lips felt, how inviting his embrace was, the amazement she held him to. But then, she was awoken by a chill in the middle of the night. She sat up in her bed, and felt a breeze.

            She smiled and said,

            “I guess that was His Breeze.”

© 2011 Lucas Grasha


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Luke, because i know what this is about, it sort of scares me. It is a good read, but it scares me, and the fact that you actually used her name is what pushed that over.

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow. a beautiful story. wonderful imagery. i wish i could say more, but this was just a lovely read!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Perfect.. I love this story.. It shows so many different human emotions concerning love and belief systems. and then to have the knowing of the breeze in the end.. I love this!! You penned it all very well.xxx

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wonderful story.. you really get to know both characters well in this, Elizabeth and the one dead. I love the message from the dead part.. the old shaman.. the dark mystery of the entire piece. Excellent write, Luke.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Those Shaman are wise people. I have met a few in my life. The story was outstanding. I like the invitation and the girl going with regret. The meeting with the Shaman was amazing. Real Shaman can frighten you. They see into emotion and pain. I like the letter and the ending. I believe forgiveness is hard for most people. Accepting things is all we have left. The story was excellent. Thank you for sharing.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Liz
Oh wow, I enjoyed reading this. It was one of those dark/romantic stories that really pulled me in and kept my curiosity flowing. I'm left with a few unanswered questions about it, but I think that's something that adds to the greatness of it.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 17, 2011
Last Updated on March 17, 2011
Tags: death, love, ghost

Author

Lucas Grasha
Lucas Grasha

Pittsburgh, PA



About
I've chosen in life to use the pen in place of the sword; or rather, the giving in place of giving up. I believe that I do possess a talent, but that opinion is only mine; if you would please (if you .. more..

Writing
Nucleus Nucleus

A Poem by Lucas Grasha


Superb Superb

A Poem by Lucas Grasha



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..