Tomorrow

Tomorrow

A Poem by Lucas Grasha

We all fake the smiles we try to hate,

to try to make this world, only to have it degrade.

It’s not hard to f**k up, it takes a single mistake,

and all the things you build up can suddenly break.

I’m not a pessimist, this is just life,

if that’s a problem, just sleep more at night.

Make your dreams your escape, where everything’s perfect,

but when you wake up, what makes your life worth it?

 

Now I’ve got my flaws, and I’m well aware,

I’m sure you’ve got yours, but why should I care?

I know life is hell, everything is a nightmare,

but considering it all, why should you be scared?

 

I’m sure that you’re nervous as you near the stage,

your father kneels down to you, says, “It’s all okay.”

Your sweat pours down, the stage heightens your fears,

now just fast forward about eighteen years.

You think, “To hell with my kids, and I’m losing my job.

I can’t pay the bills, where did I go wrong?

My meds aren’t helping, I’m heavily depressed,

everything that’s my life is everything I dread.”

 

Now I’ve got my flaws, and I’m well aware,

I’m sure you’ve got yours, but why should I care?

I know life is hell, everything is a nightmare,

but considering it all, why should you be scared?

 

So soon enough, nothing matters at all,

you find that the drink is your happy resolve.

Or you sing a nostalgia song that reminds you,

of the times that you love, and bring you back to your youth.

The first love you had, the first lips you kissed,

when time wouldn’t run out, when simplicity was bliss.

When paper wings would fly us high in the sky,

but we never thought we would hit the ground so hard, sometime…

But as we take it all in and count up the sorrow,

somehow we find a way to live for tomorrow.

© 2011 Lucas Grasha


Author's Note

Lucas Grasha
I plan to make this into a song

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great write, Luke. I can see this as a song, with a lot of truths and some hopefulness (that held the same melancholy tone as the rest of the poem) at the end. The rhythm and rhymes fell out just a LITTLE bit here and there, which shouldn't really matter, once you turn this into a sang. Often, that's part of what makes songs good, doing the unexpected with the rhythm and the words. This also worked as the poem because the occasional slips in rhythm mirrored the kind of message you were giving about life, how it doesn't always flow easily and has awkward and unsatisfactory moments. A good write and I thank you for the RR.

Oh, and I disagree with Jessi. Sure, you don't need commas at hte end of every line, because they're supposed to read as uninterrupted phrases, but you don't need to capitalize the beginning letter of every sentence. There is no rule in poetry which says the first letter of each line has to be capitalized, uncapitalized, or even staring in the same place as the others. Poetry is much to expressive and ambiguous for rules like that.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love this! It would make a great song!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hard to stay positive. Few opportunities and big companies are taking advantage. The fake smile and being quiet is the norm for the most of us. I like the feel and desire of this poem. I feel the same. I can't do a lot but wait and hope for better days. A excellent poem. You made many strong points.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, you have really outdone yourself on this one, Luke.

I've been kinda behind in reading all of your writing, but it my eyes they have gotten better. Well done :) I love it!

- Becca

Posted 13 Years Ago


Damn you, Luke. How come you're better at the rhyming and rhythm of words than I? >.< ugh, I love this too much NOT to put this in my favorite. Very well written words.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think this would make a wonderful song, Luke. I love the Rythm and Rhyme scheme of this poem. Very well done and your words ring true with me.

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's good. Structurally though, you need need need to make sure the first letter of every line is capitalized. And not every line has to end in a comma or period. There's a natural pause there and they are supposed to read as regular sentences.

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 3 people found this review constructive.

It will make a great song. We all will find our own individual way to live for tomorrow, and our situations are all so different. You have written this very well so we can all relate to it as well as sympathize

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Good sturdy set of lyrics, Luke, with a strong message. All we can do is put one foot in front of the other, and keep walking through life until walking is done. Nice job here.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Liz
The same thing happened to me that happened to Lily, i was reading it, thought it would turn into a fantastic song, and then i see your authors note saying "I plan to make this into a song" and i just thought oh... hah.
Good job(:

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

982 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 11, 2011
Last Updated on April 11, 2011
Tags: life, hardship, happiness

Author

Lucas Grasha
Lucas Grasha

Pittsburgh, PA



About
I've chosen in life to use the pen in place of the sword; or rather, the giving in place of giving up. I believe that I do possess a talent, but that opinion is only mine; if you would please (if you .. more..

Writing
Nucleus Nucleus

A Poem by Lucas Grasha


Superb Superb

A Poem by Lucas Grasha



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..