Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by DanielaMires

Two months have passed since Tamara last saw Aron. What could he be doing now, she wondered, staring blankly outside the glass window while she supported her chin with her hand propped against the desk. She was really curious.
"I believe he is the perfect candidate. Do you agree, Miss Lorin?"
Tamara quickly snapped out of her thoughts and took back her professional position.
"I am convinced that Mr. Collins would fit the job well which is why I support your personal view, Mr. Wilson."
"Good. He's hired then. I will give him the news right away," He stood up and opened the door to shout the candidate's name.
As Tamara and the other two colleagues of HR department kept talking about the firm's new addition, a young man, probably a little older than herself, entered along with the elder interviewer. Mr. Wilson welcomed him in the company and wished him good luck.
"Miss Lorin, I believe you are capable of so much more than just your typical statistics. Consequently, would you care to take Mr. Collins under your wing?"
Tamara smiled, "Of course. I will start directly. Please, follow me!"
Tamara stood up and shook hands with her new colleague. She led him through the building, presenting each department and its own members.
"Now you have seen everything. Let's get you installed in your office. Keep up and don't look disorientated, please. Mr. Wilson doesn't accept it. Here," She pointed to a door.
"Good luck, Mr. Collins!"
With that, Tamara headed to the elevator. After riding it, she clicked her heels down the shining floor into the Architectural Department and knocked on a door.
"Hello Tamara!"
Her father, Jonathan, smiled not taking his eyes off the computer. She came to his side.
"Great interior, dad! I like it!"
Jonathan chuckled and looked up at his daughter, "You say that all the time."
"Well, because it's true," She smiled, "and because I'm a nice person."
"I have a feeling that you're lying to me," Her father grinned.
"Probably," She stated with the same grin plastered on her face, "Let's eat! It's lunch time and I'm starving."
"You know, you should quit the bookstore and work only here."
"I know and I already did-"
"Do you really think he would come again? Why are you keeping that job? Be rational, Tamara. That man only came there to buy a book-"
"Dad, I know for certain that he likes me. Why else would he buy a doughnut for a total stranger or shout my name multiple times just to talk to me?"
"Maybe you're right. But a man can like you now and forget you at the end of the day. A man has many reason to approach a woman and let's face it, 90% of them are wrong"
"I have to admit you're right, too."
"Anyway, there is this man in the firm that has grew fond of my daughter."
"Of me? Who?" Tamara was stunned, blinking twice.
"A guy named Nathan saw this picture of our family I always keep on the desk and asked me questions about you. Let me introduce you to him. I don't want to see my daughter suffering."
"Dad-" Tamara whined.
"Tamara, forget that Aron who already forgot about you! It's been two months now. If he really wished to see you again, wouldn't you agree that he would have dropped by the bookstore? Think clearly, my daughter!"
She sighed, "Dad, if you think that I'm falling for Aron, I must say you are completely wrong," Tamara closed her eyes for a second and rubbed her temple, "Come on, dad, you know me! I don't just fall for someone. I analyze the situation first then decided if I should give a guy a chance or not."
The elder man let out a bitter chuckle and shook his head from side to side, "Oh, my child! You're too naïve. Falling in love does not depend on your planning. It just happens. It is not something you can program, organize or control. What are you trying to do is like stopping the universe from expanding. You can't do that."
Jonathan sighed and continued, "Seeing you this confident and headstrong you remind me of Nathan-"
"Daddy, please, let's end this Nathan discussion. I will not meet him. Anyway, let's just eat!"
"Patience, please, Tamara," He looked back at the computer, obviously losing his patience, "I have something that requires my attention and needs to be finished by tomorrow."
"Pff! Fine. I'll go," Tamara sighed, "Alone, all alone," she bit her lip to suppress a laugh as she was persuading her father, "Just a step out, alone and alone-"
"Doesn't work," Jonathan laughed and looked up at a grumpy Tamara.
"Fine, fine. See you at home, daddy!"
Tamara hugged her father and went back to her plans. If Jonathan did not have time to come along, she could first go buy a pair of shoes that were on sale, then eat. Tamara hurried to get to the mall, enter her favourite store and decide on a cream pair of heels. It really went with her current outfit: black fitted dress pants, a white dress shirt tucked in and a brown shoulder bag. She immediately paid and headed for the exit, but she stopped in front of the mirror to examine her refreshed attire.
"You'll crack the mirror."
Tamara jumped and looked left. Her face instantly lit up, but then pouted playfully.
"Aron, hi! I don't think I look that bad, do I?"
"Not at all. I'm really glad to see you again, Tamara. How have you been lately?"
"Well fine, I suppose. Can we talk at The Burger King? I mean, if you don't have other plans."
Aron laughed at her now crimson colored cheeks, and agreed. They arrived shortly after his reply. Tamara chose a table and waited for him and the food. Fifteen minutes later the two of them sat across from each other, eating.
"So I've returned to the bookstore last week, but you weren't there. Did something happen?"
"I quit working there two weeks ago because that was my second job and I realized that I needed more time for myself. Plus, I have an exam coming up."
"Where are you currently working?"
"Here is my number if you happen to buy another doughnut."
They laughed remembering how they first met.
"Seriously now, call me around 6 pm and I'll guide you to my work place, if you're not busy or anything, of course," She suggested a little insecure.
"Sure. Why not?," He gave her a reassuring smile.
Aron and Tamara continued to talk about everything that came in their minds such as likes and dislikes. That was how she found out about his love for mathematics, a subject she loathed from the bottom of her heart. Another thing that surprised her was that he was trying to recover from a past relationship.
"She would always be a part of my life."
'Ouch!' Tamara mentally wept. It hurts, she admitted. She knew she had to change the subject because Aron kept talking about the woman who left him three years before. He was trying so hard to prove he did not miss her, but Tamara figured it out. He missed her so much and no matter how hard it hurt her, Tama continued to listen to him. Aron needed to pour his heart out and she did not see a reason why he should have not. Probably he had talked about his pain so little that it turned him into a workaholic, always trying to do something with every second of his life. He considered himself the cause of her leave. He had always liked to work more than anyone else. When he started his studies to be a doctor, Aron became addicted to his chemistry and biology then his girlfriend came into his life.
"I can't forget her, Tamara, I just can't. She left me something I can't refuse - memories, a new life."
He groaned and rubbed his eyes, guiltily smiling, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to talk about me and especially about my ex. That was rude of me!"
Tamara slightly smiled, "No, it's ok. I can tell you needed to talk. Carry on! I'm a good listener."
"I saw that," he agreed and grinned, "I actually want to hear about yourself. You'll see that I'm a very good listener, too."
Tamara laughed and cleared her throat, "Well, I've studied Psychology and I have a degree in Clinical Psychology. I'm thinking to start my own practice but I'm not sure yet. I-I currently work with my dad at an architecture f-firm," She gulped looking down, "Ok. Would you stop staring at me like that?"
Aron grinned and continued to stare, "Like what? Like a good listener?"
"No! Like t-this! You really enjoy it, don't you?" she stammered, pointing at his face.
"Yep, I actually do enjoy it."
Tamara gasped then chuckled at the man who crossed his arms over his chest arrogantly.
"No wonder I feel uncomfortable. Anyway, I haven't experienced what you had with your ex because, unlike yourself, I tend to plan things-"
"Are you trying to say that you actually choose the person you fall in love with? That's curious. It's impossible, Tamara!"
"I disagree-"
"So you sort of believe in long-distance relationships and you pick a person to like."
"Exactly."
"Don't get mad at me, but you're a little bit childish."
"W-what? I'm not c-childish,,, Maybe just a bit, but I am right in a way-" Tamara tried to justify herself in vain.
"In what way?"
"Well...Fine, you win! I'm wrong, you're right."
"This is not about who's right and who's wrong. It's about reality. Ok, I agree with long-distance relationships, they can work, but I can't accept that principle of yours. You just fall in love, that's it. Whether is a person you tolerate or not, you just can't control it. It happens sometimes."
Tamara sighed and admitted, defeated, "I know."
"Again, please don't be angry with me," Aron reassuringly smiled.
Smiling back and clearing her throat, she suggested that they should leave. He agreed again.


© 2015 DanielaMires


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on April 20, 2015
Last Updated on April 20, 2015


Author

DanielaMires
DanielaMires

Slatina, Olt, Romania



Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by DanielaMires