Part II

Part II

A Chapter by Danii*

Alallia focused on the Count’s thoughts right then, she was even more curious of the man now. However, nothing of use was in his head. ‘Do not think of it. Do NOT.’ She heard the Count’s Inner voice. She smiled secretly. Oh the man was smart. She let go of her hold on his thoughts. The Count opened his mouth to speak, but right then a hand was placed on Alallia’s arm, stopping her and the Count in their tracks. The Count had a strange expression on his face as he looked at the man who had stopped the two of them from continuing to dance to another of Lilith’s songs. Alallia turned to stare Elliot in the eyes. “Mind if I cut in?” He asked in a strained voice. Alallia’s eyebrows lifted in surprise. Elliot would never cut in if Alallia was dancing with someone, unless it was someone he saw as a threat.

The corner of the Count’s mouth lifted up slightly. “But of course, my good fellow. Go ahead.” He turned to Alallia and kissed her hand once again. “It was a pleasure to meet you, my lady. I am pleased to have made your acquaintance.” He bowed and good naturedly like any gentleman turned and left the dance floor.

Alallia turned to Elliot who was holding out his hand to her. “May I have this dance, my lady?”

Alallia smiled and took his hand. “But of course, my lord.” Elliot pulled the 19 year old girl closer and led her around the dance floor. She couldn’t help but notice the subtle differences between Elliot and the Count of Kuro. Elliot was taller than the Count, but the Count was built sturdier than him. Elliot didn’t glide as the Count seemed to when he danced, but he danced well too. The Count also had more prominent features which his dark hair and eyes seemed to accentuate, while Elliot had lighter hair and eyes. Alallia mentally scolded herself. She should not be comparing the two men. “Elliot,” Alallia looked up into Elliot’s eyes. “Why did you leave me by myself for such a long time?” She enquired.

“I apologise, love. Lady Lilith had asked me to accompany her for a bit longer and I suppose we lost track of time.”

Alallia smiled. “Oh. I see.” Alallia didn’t say anything more and she danced further with Elliot in silence. He pulled her body closer when another waltz began �"so that there was as little as an inch between them. Elliot whispered sweet nothings in her ear, making promises she knew he would not- he could not keep, but she did not silence him. Instead, she relished in it. She took pleasure in knowing he was willing to take her away from here so she could start anew where no one would know of her abnormalities, but she knew it was never going to happen. Alallia was much too fond of this place, and her Papá was here, she could not just leave. He would be all alone here, with no one to care for and no family. She was all he had left.

The music abruptly ended, startling most of the guests, but Alallia was not surprised. Lilith loved surprising audiences with such an ending instead of a soft, echoing ending. Elliot let go of her and bowed. “I thank you for the dance, my Lady.”

Alallia curtsied with a bashful smile. “The pleasure was mine, kind sir.” Out of the corner of Alallia’s eyes, she could see Lilith in her startling scarlet dress gliding towards the two of them. Alallia turned to her with a smile and once more she curtsied. “It is nice to see you, Lady Lilith.” She greeted. “You look beautiful this evening.” It was the truth. Lilith’s hair hung in soft curls over her shoulders reaching all the way to her thin waist which was shown off by her dress, her face was flushed from all the compliments she had received and her eyes danced in excitement.

Lilith merely nodded in thanks. “You look… dashing.” A scowl formed on her face. “Exactly what I had asked you not to wear.” Lilith rolled her eyes upward in annoyance and Alallia frowned. “I was very specific about not wearing anything striking.”

“I apologise. I did not realise… I had no knowledge of this.” Alallia muttered. She had not known. Her invitation had said nothing of the sort, but, as she thought about it, she realised she had been the only one to receive a written invitation. Others had been invited by word of mouth, by a messenger.

“Oh, do not lie Alallia. It does not become you. You had known perfectly well that I wanted all the attention to be on me this night but yet again Alallia LeStraut wanted all the attention to be on her.” Lilith sneered, surprising Alallia. Alallia’s eyes widened. She had never seen her friend act like this toward her. She was causing a scene now; heads turned to see what was going on. Contrary to what Lilith had just said, Alallia wasn’t fond of having all the attention on herself. She looked to Elliot for help, but he just stood there with an apologetic look in his eyes. Lilith took a step closer and Alallia focused on her again, but from the corner of her eyes she could see the Count of Kuro had also come to see what the fuss was about. Alallia’s cheeks burned and she lowered her eyes. It was humiliating, and Lilith wasn’t done quite yet either. “Just,” Lilith spoke more loudly now. “Like those fake rumours of you being a witch.” She barked out a laugh. “You? A witch? The mere thought of it repulses me, as do you.” She stepped even closer, now standing directly in front of Alallia, staring down at her. Alallia hoped she could not see her shaking hands. “You are too weak, too fragile to be such a creature. Admit it, LeStraut,” Alallia gasped. In this town, when one only used the surname to address another, it signified the hatred that person held for the other. Alallia could feel a cold mist gathering at the corners of her eyes. “You made it all up so everyone would pay more attention to you.” Lilith held a smug smile on her face, as if she had everything figured out. Alallia felt hurt at this, she had thought Lilith was her friend. She searched the Lady in red’s face for any sense of remorse for what she had said, but she could see none. As a last resort, she attempted to search her mind, but with much effort, and when she was successful, she wish she hadn’t. ‘She DID make it up �"her silence is my proof. Disgusting. I cannot believe I used to be friends with such a COWARD.’

Alallia looked up at Lilith though her lashes and, with a lowered voice, she whispered. “Do not presume me to be a coward, Lilith.” Without looking to see Lilith’s reaction, Alallia gathered her skirts in each hand and turned to walk away with as much dignity as she could muster. Once outside Alallia let out a breath she had not realised she’d been holding. How could Lilith say such things about her? She was the one person that Alallia had trusted with her secret, but now it seems Lilith had never believed her. She would now. The tears that have slowly been gathering at the corner of her eyes slowly rolled down her flushed cheeks. Alallia felt hurt and betrayed, and humiliated. Alallia flinched when the music suddenly sounded much louder. She truly had not wanted Alallia there, after all. Alallia grabbed the necklace around her throat and tried to choke back a sob. She was a Lady, she could not be humiliated like this. Alallia took a deep, shuddering breath. Lilith had attacked Alallia’s pride and that was unforgivable, for Alallia was nothing if not prideful.

Without so much as a warning, Alallia’s chest constricted and she struggled to breathe. She clutched at the material over her heart, tears now running down her cheeks freely. Alallia hunched over, trying to breathe, but her breaths came shallow and quick. She was hyperventilating. Black spots danced around her vision. Everything she looked at was blurred because of the tears and if she tried to focus on something specific, black dots would dance across her vision and obscure the object’s form. Alallia started when a hand gently touched her shoulder and she spun around, expecting it to be Elliot who had followed her outside. “Elliot!” Instead, hyperventilation suddenly forgotten, she was surprised to see the Count of Kuro Isle. His dark eyes studied her with concern evident. Alallia lowered her eyes to the ground, seemingly very interested in the cracks made in the concrete beneath her feet. “My apologies, Count. I thought... I thought you were-” She cut herself off. Elliot hadn’t come after her to console and comfort her.

Alallia’s eyes snapped up to the Count’s face when he brushed away her tears. He was bending so he could look directly into her eyes. “Let me take you home, Lady Alallia. A lady cannot be expected to walk the distance.” Alallia mutely nodded and let the Count lead her to his coach which came to a halt a few feet away from them. Alallia told the driver where to go.

The Count tried to make small talk, but after many failures, he finally gave up. Alallia sat quietly, gazing out of the carriage’s small window. “Why did he not defend my honour?" Alallia muttered to herself.

Having heard her mutterings, the Count decided to answer her question. “It is because he could not be a nay-sayer of the Lady at her own birthday Gala, he could not humiliate her in her own house.”

Alallia sighed. “Yes, I-” She squeaked as the carriage jolted suddenly as it went over bumpy surfaces and she fell forward, almost collapsing on the Count. Luckily he caught her arms, his grip gentle. Cheeks flushing, Alallia thanked him and sat back. “As I was saying… Yes, I am aware of that, but then why did he not come after me? He has a duty to me, his fiancée.” They suddenly came to a halt. They had arrived at her home.

The Count exited the carriage first, before extending a hand to help Alallia out. “That I cannot answer, my Lady, but I am certain he has a good reason.” Alallia looked at the Count. He was surely right. Elliot must have a good reason for staying behind. She sighed, feeling much more tired than she expected to be. Once again, Alallia thanked the Count for taking her home before she walked toward the front door. Alallia glanced back as she gave a quick tap on the door. The Count stood leaning against the carriage, gazing at her. It was a bit unnerving, but also reassuring. The door finally opened to reveal a grim Seraphina. “Lady Alallia.”

Alallia frowned. Something was wrong. “What is it, Seraphina?”

“It’s your father, my lady. He has collapsed at Lord Alastair’s lake house.”



© 2017 Danii*


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on July 12, 2017
Last Updated on July 12, 2017
Tags: Part II, Grave Mistake, Mystery, Suspense, Thriller


Author

Danii*
Danii*

South Africa



About
I'm still young and probably a novice when it comes to writing, but my dream is to become a well-known author more..

Writing
Part I Part I

A Chapter by Danii*


Part III Part III

A Chapter by Danii*