The River's Cave

The River's Cave

A Chapter by Danny Hampton
"

Two young, best friends discover a cave just outside of town. Within is a secret that has been waiting to be rediscovered.

"
PROLOGUE

 The dawn scarcely lights the land
as they enter into the ground.
Two are filled with excitement, one with hopeful doubt
and of course the one who knows what they will find.

    CHAPTER ONE

  Thousands of years of erosion have washed the initial entrance clear.
As Saran reaches the top of the pushed earth, she looks into the challenging dark and sees nothing. In the deep distance she can hear the water flowing freely, “I can hear it!” She calls out to her friend.
Devon, not at all pleased with this replies, “really? That’s cool” as he climbs to join her.

  “Do you really think that there is a river in there? I mean why hasn’t anyone ever found it before?” Devon asked hoping that it wasn’t water that she was hearing. “Of course there is. Red told us there was.” She replied with confidence.

  “Red is the town drunk Saran. He told my dad once, before he died that he was born in London and his parents moved him here when he was still a young boy.” He rebutted, still hoping that there wasn’t a river running freely inside of the cave. “I know that but listen,” she said.

  Hi stopped his protest and they both stood in silence for a minute. “You can hear it. Can’t you?” She asked. Knowing that he could. “You are just scared,” She taunted him. This of course was true. Devon was scared. What normal nine year old boy wouldn’t be.

  He was a typical nine year old in the most obvious ways. His sun lightened brown hair was usually a mess. A combination of the wind from riding his bike everywhere he went and not carrying a comb. His feet were growing it seemed at a different speed than the rest of him. He often felt like a clown trying to walk without stumbling over them. Now, here he stood next to his best friend preparing to walk into the darkness of what Red had called, the rivers cave.

  Climbing down into the earth was frightening. Every since Red had began telling the two of them about this cave Devon had been having nightmares. Horrible nightmares. Falling into the earth kind of nightmares.

  In one such nightmare he was riding along on his bike down Thompson street, right in front of the house they had lived in when his father was still alive and the ground just opened up and swallowed him. He would wake, covered in sweat and his heart would be beating so hard and so fast that he was sure he was going to die. He never hit bottom in this dream, because if you hit bottom in a falling dream you die. He was sure that if he kept having this dream that sooner or later he would hit bottom.

  Shaking off the vivid imagery of the dream, he lowered his back pack off and found the flashlight that he had stolen from the hardware store just a few days before. Stealing was something that he had just learned how to do.

  After his father died the money quickly ran out and his mother had rented an old ill heated house downtown. His old friends, the friends that he thought he would have for life, had turned their backs on him. He was no longer on the swimming team or diving squad, he loved to dive the most, he wasn’t even playing baseball anymore. Always it was money that kept him out of his old circle of friends. He was quickly picking up from his new friends, such as Saran, that money was evil and the people who had it were even worse.

  Saran had told him one night while they were sitting on her rented porch and listening to her mother’s newest boyfriend screaming at each other and breaking up her house that stealing was alright with god. She said that he new that they couldn’t afford things, so god placed extras on the shelves for the poor.

  She had also told him on that same night that her mom’s last boyfriend had touched her and kissed her in a bad way. At first he had been confused because kisses and hugs from a father figure were things he missed terribly. Then it dawned on him; His best friend had been molested.

  He knew of such things because a lady had came to the school from a shelter and told the kids in his class about bad people, usually men, who did terrible things to children. He knew now that there was a difference between a good hug and a bad hug and Saran had been hugged bad. That night had been the only time he had seen his older and wiser best friend cry. He had hated it.

  He looked over at her now and looked for the sadness that he had seen that night on her porch. He was pleased that it wasn’t there. Her face was glowing with excitement. Her deep green eyes darted into the darkness of the cave. Looking for a something, a secret maybe that he couldn’t understand or imagine.

  Saran was eleven and his mother had told him that she was beautiful. “That girl is going to break a lot of hearts with those eyes and that shape.” His mom was always saying. She liked his mom, too. When she would ride her bike over to get him if he wasn’t ready, Devon would run into the living room to find the two of them giggling as his mother brushed his best friend’s long wheat colored hair.

  He had notice that a few of the boys her age stared at her in kind of a funny way at school. The girls in her classes seemed really mean to her, too. Meaner than what his friends called the money mean. It was like they were afraid of her for some reason. He just thought that she was cool.

  Saran removed her back pack, too. Then retrieved her own flashlight. Devon felt a pang of jealousy because hers was bigger and brighter. She would have laughed at him had she known that he would feel that way.
The one that she had was the camping kind; His was just bright enough to maybe give you enough light to find candles during a power outage. Or maybe, he thought then to himself, you could see your hands right in front of your face if you were in a tent camping, Maybe?

They looked at each other and she was gleaming with excitement. Devon on the other hand had a kind of, I ate too many hot dogs look on his face. She raced in front of him and down the mound into the caves dark opening. She stopped to shine her flashlight around. She was now standing completely in the dark as he slowly and more cautiously made his way down the mound and deeper into the dark to join her.

  The ground was wet inside the cave and there were hoof prints all around them.

  He said, “I don’t know if we should be in here. Look at all of these prints. I bet there are wolves in here.” Then shining his flashlight toward the ceiling,  He added, “ and bats.”

  He turned his flashlight to shine on her face. He was hoping for some sign that she too wasn’t very thrilled about being in the cave. He was disappointed but not surprised by her response.

  “Oh come on. Of course animals are going to come in this far. If for nothing else they would do it just to get out of the rain or snow. Don’t worry,” she said in her new found teasing voice.

 
The last line stung his pride a little. He was blushing and he was sure it was showing. His face felt like it was on fire.

  Saran didn’t seem to notice. She was canvassing the stone walls with her flashlight looking for a path into the deeper more secret parts of the cave.

  “There!” Devon was startled. “What, what?” He said as he spun around in a circle and wishing again that his flashlight worked better.

  “There silly. Behind those rocks. Come on.” She turned her head toward him and pointed in the direction that her flashlight was shining, “there is a path over here.”

  Reluctantly he started over toward her. She wasn’t more than a few feet away but in that short distance he was sure that he could feel snakes, frogs and beetles the size of rats squirming under his every step.

  Thunder loudly rattled through the cave. It startled both of them. At the same time they both said it, “damn!” It was their new favorite curse word.

  Devon immediately began climbing out of the opening and she called out after him. “Stop it Devon! We can wait it out.” “No I can’t.” He said, “You know my mom will kill me if I ruin my new jacket.” His eyes were wide and his tone harsh. She knew that she wouldn’t win this one but being his older best friend she tried anyway.

 “Devon damn it,” loving the way that the word rolled off of her tongue, “I told you not to wear it today. You knew it might get dirty in here,,,,” Her words faded off. She knew that she was hurting his feelings.

  This was the first new thing that he had had since his dad had died and he was really proud of it. She also realized that he had worn it to impress her.

  Climbing up and behind him. “ok, you’re right. My mom will think that I am in someone’s house that I’m not suppose to be. Let’s go. We can come back tomorrow.” She was using her softer voice again and he was grateful.

  The two of them raced the tem miles or so home through the pouring rain and lightening.

Thunder clapped above them as their bicycle tires hummed beneath on the wet road. Sometimes dodging the quickly forming puddles and sometimes purposely hitting them.

  Devon’s spirit had raised with the storm. He was glad to putt off the cave for another day. He was doing most of the kidding around and splashing on the ride home.

  He road his bike the extra two blocks to her house to see her to her porch safely. This was something that he always did and she found it charming.

  Her mother, when drinking would tease her about her little gentleman. Or her cute little squeeze.

  It was true that she would rather spend her time with Devon than any of her other friends and secretly she wondered what it would be like to kiss him but he was only nine. She would just have to wait for him to catch up.

  “Bye,” Devon called from the street as he took off on his bike for home. She waved and waited, listening through the rain from the porch for the sounds from inside.

  NEXT CHAPTER

  She had looked for her mother’s boyfriend of the months car and was pleased to see that Tommy wasn’t parked next to the house or in front of it on the street.

  She hated all of the yelling that he did and the mean things that he would say to her mother but equally it was hard to watch her mother when she was alone. She would sink into deep depressions and drink constantly. Crying herself to sleep at all hours of the day only to wake and repeat the pattern.

  Saran loved her mother deeply but she also resented her. She had been taking care of her for the better part of three years. Every since her father had left and Susan, her mom, had started drinking.

All was quiet inside and as the mid-afternoon Sun peaked through the dark June sky, she entered her house.

She closed the front door carefully behind her, trying not to wake her little sister, whom laid sleeping on the sofa. She stepped over the piles of clothes and empty beer cans and gently wrapped the worn blanket that smelled of smoke and Tommy’s feet around her sister.

  Sarah smiled faintly without opening her eyes but quickly her mouth dropped slightly open again as she drifted back to a peaceful slumber.

  The excitement of entering the cave and the racing home in the rain had given her stomach pains.

  She looked for a path to the kitchen around all of the mess in the front room. Finding one, she kept her hopes in check that her mother had been to the store and purchased more than cigarettes and beer.

  The unsteady hum of the refrigerator caught her ear. She stood still in the middle of the room and listened for the thunder. She could still hear the distant rumble but it was now distant.

  “Excellent,” she said to herself. Her plan now was to eat something quickly and then go look for Red before her mother found out that she was home.

  She knew that her mom was upstairs sleeping one off because she had cleaned the living room before she had left that morning with Devon. Now the floor was covered with empty beer cans.

  Opening the fridge; the top shelf had only three remaining beer cans. The cheap ones, the ones that her mom said gave her a headache.

  She bent down to be able to see all of the second shelf. “Yes!” There was an unopened can of peaches sitting there all by themselves.

  She new that her mother had purchased them for Tommy but she also knew that he wouldn’t remember if he had eaten them or not.

  As she placed the can on the counter Sarah walked into the kitchen. She was rubbing her eyes and walking unsteadily as she always did when she first woke up. “Sarah’s heart dropped she had really wanted the peaches but she couldn’t let Sarah go hungry.

  “Come here then and get up in your chair and I will get you some peaches.” Her stomach growled in protest as she opened the can of peaches for her little sister.

  “We have peaches?” Sarah was smiling brightly and Saran couldn’t resist returning the smile.

  “Yes you little stinker. We have peaches but if you don’t give me some sugar right now I’m goanna eat em all.” She teased her smiling little sister.

  Sarah squealed loudly with joy, “ok Hon. Now be quiet. We don’t want to wake mommy up.” Sarah quit laughing and her face took on a stern and serious look. She was wearing her big girl face, the one that Saran had taught her to help keep her out of trouble.

  Sarah ate her peaches. Saran made herself a butter sandwich and they sat without saying a word. The rain outside completely stopped.

  Across town Red sat with his arms wrapped around his knees and watching as the water as it rose in front of him. From where he was, under the last bridge in town that the police had not ran him off from. The view was beautiful as the muddy waters raged swiftly by carrying boughs, leafs and earth.

  Red lifted to his mouth his brown bag of gin with his fingerless gloves and swallowed heavily. The rain had stopped but it would be a couple of hours before he would know if he had to relocate for the evening. The run off from up stream would continue to feed the creek for at least two hours. The creek broke off from the Missouri river near Kansas City and didn’t rejoin it for sixty miles or so later. The danger of flood was real where he was and he knew it.

  For Red life had stopped so many years ago or the side of life that most of us cling to. Red was a drop out. Most of the locals guessed him to be in his late sixties or early seventies. He was actually fifty-eight years of age.

  Few of the adults in the community had ever spoken with him. They would turn away from him with the fear of confrontation. They called him a beggar and a bum but no one could recall him ever asking anyone for anything. Red was homeless but as he told the children of the lower downtown area, it was a wish that had came true.

  No one in town knew his real name and he was happy to answer to Red. His hair was stricken with deep gray streaks but the dark brown of his earlier years was still visible. He had received his nick name not by the color of his hair but by the color of his nose. Red drank, he drank a lot. The years of abusing alcohol had the side effect of a rather large and bright red nose.

  It was difficult to even guess at his build. He always wore several layers of clothing and walked unsteadily, slow and slouched, thus giving him the appearance of old age and weight. He looked to be around six feet tall when standing completely up right.

  He sat alone, drinking and watching as the late afternoon sky turned to night and the water peaked at a safe level. He would not have to look for another place to sleep tonight.

      NEXT CHAPTER

  Devon sat at his mothers kitchen table talking excitedly to his mom about his day with his Saran. “Yea, I bet there are Indian bones and everything down there mom. We saw,” “Where did you say this cave is again?” She asked. “It’s by the Rocky Hollow baseball field. I told you that already.” “No. I don’t think you did. That is an awfully long ride on your bikes, isn’t it?” He knew that this really wasn’t a question and he had a pretty good idea of what she would say next. “I don’t think that you two should be going that far. What if something happened?”

  He had been right. Exasperated, “Oh mom. We go farther than,,,” his mom held up a finger and shook it as she interrupted his protest. “ The word that you are looking for is further, not father and if I  find out that you are putting Saran in any kind of danger, you won’t just have to answer to her mother, you will have to answer to me.

  Debbie, his mom, was familiar with the area that her son was talking about. As a teenager it was one of the spots that the kids would go park their cars and drink beer and play Frisbee on hot Summer days.

    She also had some experience with what he was calling the cave. She explored as a young girl. She couldn’t remember anything dangerous about them. Maybe a few bats but she thought the first sign of them and Saran would lose interest in the cave quite quickly.

   She poured from the pot the noodles into a strainer as Devon giggled happily as the steam raised from the sink. Spaghetti was his favorite meal. The aroma reminded him of family dinners before his dad had died. The laughing and teasing at the family dinner table was one of the things that he missed the most.

  “I have a surprise for you,” She said. “Today while you were out exploring we had a visit from Media Com.” Devon knew immediately what this meant. “ Cable, we have cable?” “Yes, we have cable and tonight after dinner you and I are going to sit down and watch the Avalanche kick that Dallas team, what are they called again?” “The Stars mom. Yes!” Devon punched the air with excitement, “Yes, yes, yes!” “Yes,” she repeated after him and began dancing and punching the air with him. “We are going to watch your Colorado Avalanche kick the Dallas Stars butts!” She pronounced butts boots. They both laughed and continued punching the air in victory. “Mom this is so cool!” Devon wrapped his arms around his mother’s waist, “I love you mom. I love you so much.” “I love you too sweetie.” She hugged him back for as long as he could stand to stay still.

  “Listen, the game starts in just a few minutes. So, what do you say we eat in the living room tonight?” She suggested. Taking in his bright and beautiful smile. “Excellent mom. You are so kewl.” “Alright then, hand me your plate and you get us both a Pepsi from the fridge and go on in.”

  “The game is on channel twenty three and the remote is on the coffee table. You remember how to work the remote, don’t you?” He hugged her again and then grabbed the sodas and went into the living room.

  As she fixed their plates she could hear the television being switched from channel to channel and her son giggling happily. “We are going to be alright,” Debbie said to the memory of her husband, we are going to be alright.”

  Watching Hockey was something that Devon’s father, David had use to do with his son. In their old house Debbie would usually sit at the computer writing her love stories and poetry. Laughing to herself at how excited they would get watching a game together. Devon, as was his father, was a true Colorado Avalanche fan. He knew all of the players names and stats. She was getting her joy from watching her son as he watched the first period get on the way.

  There was a knock at the door and Devon didn’t even seem to notice. “That’s alright. I will get it.” Debbie said and she messed up his hair as she got up from the couch. He was so engaged in the game that he didn’t even notice his mother going to answer the door.

  It was Saran at the door. “Hello honey. Come on in.” “Hi MRS Hansen, is he home?” Debbie laughed out loud. It had been such a wonderful day and it just kept getting better. “Well now let me see,” she scratched her chin, “if he isn’t off exploring with you, He must be here somewhere.” Debbie was sure that she saw Saran blush, just a little. “Come on in dear.” She held the door open for Saran. “We are watching the hockey game on television.” Saran ran past her to the couch and plopped down beside him, “alright! you guys got cable.”

  Devon felt a moment of guilt, or shame. He wasn’t sure what it was but he felt bad because his best friend didn’t have cable T.V. He was glad to see that it was a true smile on her face. They knew each others fake ones. He said, “Yea. Mom and me are moving up in the world.” They both laughed. “It’s Mom and I and you shouldn’t put on airs. We are just fortunate.” Debbie said with a smile as she pulled from her purse her hair brush and sat down on the couch next to Saran. She knew and loved the routine. Saran turned her back to Debbie so she could reach to brush her hair.

  With a hint of teasing in her voice, “now tell me your version of what you two little monsters did today?” Debbie continued brushing Saran’s hair as she waited for her response. Saran’s relaxed face tightened into a disapproving frown and now she was focusing her stare on Devon not on the hockey game. “What do you mean MRS Hansen?” “It’s ok Saran. Mom was a kid once.” “You told her about the cave?” Saran was furious. “Yes he did Honey. Now don’t be mad at him. You two aren’t in trouble. I just worry about you guys.”

  Saran relaxed a little. “Are you going to tell my mom?” “Well, I’m not going to walk over there and tell on you. If that is what you mean but if I see her in the store or somewhere and she ask what you two have been up to, I am not going to lie to her. With her shoulders slumped and almost in a whisper, “alright MRS Hansen.”

  “So, Tell me,” Debbie continued, “ how did you two hear of this cave anyway?” Devon knew it was his turn to sweat it. Saran began, “Red told us about this river that…” “Red?” Debbie’s tone startled them both. “I told you Devon not to go near that man anymore.” “I know but,” “No Butt’s!!! He is a drunk from god knows where and there is no telling what he is capable of. Who knows what he would do if he ever got one of you two off alone.” Debbie’s voice was now shaking.

  Saran turned her head to face Debbie. “He’s ok MRS Hansen. I have been alone with him a lot of times. He has never tried to hurt me or anything.”
Debbie looked deep into this child’s eyes and she could see the secret that she had suspected but hoped wasn’t there. She calmed herself a little before speaking. “Are you sure honey?” Saran couldn’t hold the stare any longer. Not because of Red but because of what Jeff, her mother’s old boyfriend had done to her. Now she was looking down at her twitching fingers, “Yes I’m sure MRS Hansen. He never touched me.”

Both of their eyes swelled with tears as they sat facing each other. Debbie’s hands now gently rubbing the young girls shoulders. Debbie didn’t want the silence to last so long, “You know that I love you. Don’t you?” She asked as tears began streaming down Saran’s cheeks. “I know.” She began to sob.

  Devon couldn’t stand it anymore. “This word is so fucked up! I mean what the hell is wrong with adults!” He too was now in tears. Tears for his friend. Deciding that this wasn’t the time for a lecture on his vocabulary Debbie said, “ok, come here you two. Group hug.” They both folded into her arms. “The b*****d is in jail now.” Saran informed them. All three laughed a strange laugh. Devon thought he had just became an adult. he couldn’t understand exactly what emotion it was that they were all sharing. Their laughter turned back to sobs and tears. They laughed as they cried.

  They held each other closely for ten minutes or so. Drifting between sporadic tears and laughter. It was getting late and Saran wanted to get home and get up the stairs to her room before her mom was too drunk. She stood and said, “I had better get home. My mom will be worried about me.” A lie that they all let pass. “So, it’s alright with you for us to explore the cave?” She asked Debbie as she was putting back on her wind blocker. “Yes, I think it will be alright but I want to know the days that you two are going all of the way out there. I mean it.” They could both tell that she did mean it.

  “Thanks mom. We were going to go again tomorrow?” “All right. I will make sandwiches for both of you tonight. Don’t forget to take them.” Again Devon thanked his mom and he walked Saran to the door. Debbie called after them, “Saran, If you ever need anything, anything at all you tell me. Promise?” “I promise MRS Hansen. Thanks.”

  “I am going to ride her home. Ok mom?” He asked, knowing that it would be fine as she got on her bike and waved goodbye to his mom whom was still standing in the doorway. She wondered how MRS Hansen had known what had happened to her. She wondered if it had happened to her when she was a little girl. She decided as she peddled away that she would ask her someday when Devon wasn’t around. She was glad that she knew.

  The two of them rode the short distance to her house in silence. As they turned onto her street Saran could see that Tommy’s car wasn’t at her house. “Thanks for riding with me. I will see you tomorrow.” “Ok. Goodnight,” he replied, then turned and rode his bike the short distance back home.

  She laid her bike down in the front yard and listened for the sounds of her mother drinking. There was only silence. Pleased she went inside. “Hi,” Sarah said joyfully as she jumped from the couch and hugged her older sister. “I missed you.” “I missed you too Munchkin. Where is mom?”

  “She went out,” Sarah said as she was still holding onto her big sisters waist. She new that it wouldn’t be long before their mom would be home and if she had gone out she would either be drunk and sad or drunk and mad. “Hey, how would you like to sleep in my bed tonight?” She asked Sarah, tickling her under her little arms as she spoke. “Well, what do ya think? Do you want to?” “Yes,” Sarah laughed more than spoke. “Ok then. Come on and let’s go on up and I will read you a story.”

  After changing herself into a night shirt and her little sister into her favorite pajamas, they both climbed into bed. Sarah decided that she had to go to the restroom but before she could go they heard Tommy’s car pulling up outside. “Hurry up Sarah.” “Ok.” Sarah ran down the hall to the restroom. Saran got out of bed and waited for her sister just outside of her door. She could hear them arguing as soon as his engine shut off. “Hurry up Sarah. They’re fighting.” Sarah finished and got inside of Saran’s bedroom door just as the front door was opening.

  “Kids I’m home.” They both could hear the effects of the alcohol in their mothers voice as she slurred through her words. Neither answered. “They must be asleep.” The girls heard Tommy say. “Good,” was all that their mother said.

  Sarah was looking up at her big sister and she was beginning to cry. “ Let’s just go to sleep. You can read to me tomorrow.” They both got back into bed again. This time without any of the laughter that they had shared just a few minutes ago.

  Saran was angry with her mother for what she was doing to Sarah but it would wait. She put her arms around Sarah and they both drifted off to sleep.

  Devon walked back into the living room, “Honey your game is still on. Are you going to watch the rest of it?” Debbie asked. “No. I’m kind of tired. I think I will go on to bed.” He looked so much like his father when he was so deep in thought, she noticed. She asked, “Do you need to talk son?” “No mom. I’m ok.” He looked directly into her eyes when he answered. “You knew about what had happened to her, didn’t you son?” “yea, she told me but she made me promise not to tell.”

  Debbie wiped another tear from her eye. “It’s just terrible. I know her mother loves her and she has had a rough time but it makes me so angry that she doesn’t take more of a interest in what that that dear, sweet child is going through.” She stopped speaking for a moment to wipe away another tear. He hated to see anyone cry but it was so much worse when it was his mother. “I know mom. We’ll have to look out for her for now on.” He sounded so grown, so mature that Debbie had to fight back more tears. Devon was much to young to have to deal with the bad things of this world and he was being robbed of his innocence. “I love you mom.” “I love you, too.” Devon went to his room and closed his door.

  NEXT CHAPTER

      The next morning was Sunday and Devon woke early. He woke in one of those childhood moods were all sees good in the word. He listened for the sound of his mother moving about the house as he dressed. He was a walking advertisement for the Colorado Avalanche. He put on his number nineteen sweatshirt, Joe Sakic’s number, his favorite player on the team, red sweat bottoms and white socks with capital A’s on them and headed for the kitchen to fix a bowl of captain crunch with crunch berries.

 
As he was pouring the milk over his cereal, his mom walked into the kitchen rubbing the sleep out of here eyes and stepping sluggishly as she always did when she first woke. “Hi mom.” “Hi honey. Did you sleep all right?” She asked as she went to the coffee maker. “Yea, I did. I ;love you mom.” Debbie turned to face the son that she loved so very much, “I love you too Dev. Now come here and give me some sugar.”

  Over at Saran’s house the morning was starting off much differently. Saran woke before Sarah and she could hear her mother and Tommy arguing in her mother’s bedroom. She did her best to drown it out as she dressed in the same clothes that she had worn the day before and then slipped down the stairs and out of the front door.

  “I’ll get it. You finish your breakfast.” Debbie opened the front door, “Hi Saran., Come on in Honey. He is finishing breakfast, If you hurry there may still be some cereal left.” Saran smiled at her and walked happily into the kitchen. “Hey.” Hey.” Do you want some breakfast?” “Sure. Thanks.”

  Debbie watched unnoticed from the doorway to the kitchen. She was proud of her son. The way that he had offered his friend breakfast and was now getting a bowl for her and retrieving the milk from the refrigerator. He was a good boy, with good manners and he reminded her, more everyday, of his father. Who had also been so extremely kind and considerate.
  Debbie entered the kitchen and poured her first cup of coffee, then went into the living room to read the Sunday paper. She stopped by an old desk that had been her mother’s just inside of the living room to retrieve  a pair of scissors so she could cut out the coupons that she would need for the coming weeks shopping.

  Saran spoke excitedly as she ate from her second bowl of captain crunch. “Let’s see if we can find Red before we go. See if he can tell us anymore about the cave.” “What do you think he can tell us that he hasn’t already about the cave,” Devon asked. He was also well into his second bowl and Saran was laughing at his noticeable reluctant to go back to the cave. “I don’t know,” she went on, “Maybe he can tell us more history about it. Maybe kids have died there or something.” This didn’t set well with him at all. “He would have told us already if anything like that has happened out there.” He didn’t sound as sure about that as he had wanted to. Saran laughed again and he joined in when he realized that she was teasing him, “ok, you got me,” he said.

  They finished eating and he went to his room to change his clothes. Saran sat alone in the kitchen waiting for him. Too embarrassed from the night before to go sit with Debbie. “Saran come on in here honey,” Debbie called to her from the living room. As she entered the room she immediately felt better. Debbie’s warm smile made her feel safe and loved. She sat down on the couch beside her.

  “Are you doing ok today honey?” “Yes MRS,” Debbie cut in, “now what did I tell you? You call me Debbie and I get to call you goofy embarrassing names like; Sweetie, honey and doll.” Debbie tickled her as she finished speaking. “Oh great,” Saran said. They both broke into a laughter that lightened the anxiety that Saran was suffering. “Thank you for last night,” she paused then a little awkwardly she tried letting the adults first name slip off of her tongue, “Debbie.” “You are very welcome Saran.” They hugged warmly, “You are welcome.

  “So, tell me, are you two going off to the cave again today?” Saran answered, “yes, well we are if it’s alright with you?” There was a questioning in her voice. “Yes, it is. I just want you to promise me that you two will keep an eye on each other and be very careful.” “We will. I promise.” Debbie sipped on her remaining coffee and wiped a few strands of hair out of her eyes. “Alright, let me finish my coffee and then I will fix you guys a couple of sandwiches then you can be on your way.”

 
  Devon came down the hall as his mother was going into the kitchen. He paused just long enough for her not to see him. When he could hear her turn on the sink to rinse her coffee mug. He went and sat down by Saran. “So, did mom say anything about us going to the cave today?” Saran wasn’t sure but she thought that she might have heard a little hope in his voice as he asked. “Yea, we talked about it. She said that as long as we promised to be real careful we could go. She forgot to make us sandwiches last night. She is fixing them right now.”

  He had his stare fixed on the table in front of him. He didn’t show any sign that he had even heard what she had just said to him. “Hey, you do still want to go don’t you?” He didn’t answer immediately. “Yea, I guess I do…. Are you scared at all?” He asked as he turned and stared directly into her eyes. Now and for the first time she did feel a touch of fear. “Well, yes. I am a little but that is what makes it so great, so exciting. Don’t you think?” She still sounded full of confidence. “Ok then. Let’s get out sandwiches and go.”

  Debbie was putting away the bologna and cheese as they came into the kitchen. “Thank you mom.”  “Yea, thanks Debbie,” Saran added. “Alright you two. Have fun today but be home in time for dinner and remember to watch out for each other.” They both said that they would as they left the room. Debbie waited until she heard the screen door close before she went to the window to watch them ride off.

      NEXT CHAPTER

    
“Let’s check under the bridge for Red,: Saran called out just before the left turn that would lead them there.” “Ok.” Devon replied as he broke for the turn. They both pedaled rapidly building up speed until they were at the crest of the hill that lead steeply down to the bridge where they hoped to find Red.

  The air was warm and invigorating with the smell of freshly cut grass coming from the park. Devon’s fears began to slip away as he took in with all of his senses the beauty of this bright and perfect morning. Saran, he thought, must have been thinking the same thing. She looked over to her friend with the brightest of smiles.

  They slowed their bikes as they approached the bridge and surveyed the surrounding area to make sure that no one would see them as they quickly climbed off of their bikes and walked them down the slop beside the bridge.


  Red had heard them as they started down the hill. He was pretty sure that he recognized the footsteps but never the less he was standing ready to defend himself. With a toothless smile he greeted them, “Well I’ll be damned. Come on in you two.” “Hi ya Red. How are you Red?” Devon quickly followed her example and repeated the greeting.

  “Come in. Come in.” Red was already sitting back down and brushing away something on his sleeping bag indicating that he wanted the to sit with him.

  “It is good to see you two. It has been a while.” “Good to see you too Red,” Saran replied, then asked, “Did you have to stay up last night Red because of the storm?” “No, no. It wasn’t all that bad. I got plenty of rest but thank ya for asking darling.” Saran blushed and smiled at him warmly.

  “Now, what are you two little stinkers up to today? Put terrorizing the neighborhood I suppose?”  A smile passed between the two of them. Saran’s looked a little more heart felt to Red. He laughed a little as he asked. “ Ok, ok what’s going on that you two wanted to talk to old Red about?”

  “We have been inside of the cave Red,” Saran said in her, we have a secret, voice. Red’s reaction was that of surprise. Also, Devon was sure that he had seen a flick of anger in the old mans eyes. It was the same flash of intensity that his dad had given him when he had been caught riding on the back of one of his old neighbors motorcycle without a helmet or permission.

  “We didn’t get very far,” Devon said while trying to swallow down the fear that he was feeling all of a sudden. Saran was looking at him kind of funny, so he added, “well it was raining and we didn’t have very good flashlights. Isn’t that right?” He added as he returned Sarah’s gaze.

  “Listen,” Red began, I never thought that you two would go into that ole cave. Why I was just telling you kids a story.” Devon was looking with deep concentration into the old man’s eyes. The softness and kindness that had always been there had returned.  There was no sign of the anger that he had seen just a moment before. “Is there some reason that you don’t want us to go into the cave?” Devon asked Red, still puzzled by the old mans original reaction.

  Saran was now giving him a look of disappointment. He was sure that she looked angry now.

  He looked away from her quickly. Hating the way that his stomach always felt when she was disappointed in him. “Well, Red, is there?” He repeated without looking in her direction. “At all?”

  “What has gotten into you?” Saran demanded of him. “Red didn’t do anything to us! Why are you treating him like that?” “It’s ok honey,. It’s ok.” Said Red, now unscrewing the lid from his favorite gin. Devon shrugged his shoulders as he looked at his best friend, “I wasn’t trying to be mean.” He directed back toward Red, “I just got the feeling that there was something more about that cave that he hadn’t told us yet.” He gave her a look this time. It was his, I know what I’m talking about look. She didn’t try to argue. She knew her friend well. He only used this look when he meant it, so she backed off and waited to see what Reds reply would be.

  Red, swigged his bottle a few times while watching the exchange between the two children. He was grateful for the interruption, he wasn’t sure how or even what he was going to tell them. He did know that he didn’t want them, or for that matter, anyone finding what was in that cave.

  Saran and Devon were growing restless, as children do when they have to wait for anything. Red took one last big hit off of the bottle of gin and it finished it. They both looked at each other in amazement. Expecting to say something but instead he searched one of his dirty wool blankets, then another, before a thin smile came across his lips as he disclosed another full bottle of liquid bliss. “Ah, there you are Darling.” Red said to his ninety proof friend as he held her up for all to see.

  Red sat drinking and they sat squirming. “Red?” Saran looked to her friend, “I don’t think he heard you,” said Devon.  “I’m not sure that he even knows that we are still here, ” Was her reply.

  “I know that you’re still here and I know that you think that I am just an old drunk.” There was something different in his voice. He had the sound of authority. Even a slight accent. Was it British?

  “Red,” Devon had a very puzzled look upon his face. “Hey Red?” Devon said again. “Red, can I ask you something?” Now it was Saran’s turn. She  wasn’t quite as subtle. “Red, where are you from? It sounds like you are from Spain, or something?” “No he doesn’t,” Devon joined in. “He sounds like his is from England,” Then Devon tried to do an impression of the only person from England that he knew. That he knew, “come in, come in dears.” Even Red laughed with them. They had both done the impression of the lady who owned the Spiral Dance book store and candle shop at the corner of Maine street and Thompson Avenue.

  The laughs died down just as quickly as they had came. Red was deep in his liquor tainted thoughts and the two of them were sure that they were about to learn a secret about Red that no one else in their small little town could possibly know.

  “I should have never of told you two about that damn cave,” Red began. “I have drank too much to tell you the rest of the story right now.” His eyes were drifting up into his head as his neck leaned backward in small but very jerky motions.

  After waiting a minute or so Saran spoke. “Red are you alright?” He tilted his head back to a normal position and slowly opened his eyes before speaking. “Promise me,” he said while rotating a deep and concerned stare between the two of them. “Promise me that you two won’t go back to that cave. At least until I have told you the whole story about it. Then and only then you two can make your own decisions as to rather or not you ever want to go near that place again.

  Saran’s heart was pounding heavily inside of her heaving chest. Surprised at her own fear she was pleased that Red had turned all of his attention to Devon. “Son,” Red addressed the small wide eyed boy. “Yes sir:” He respectfully replied. “I am counting on you to do as I say. Man to man. You keep yourself,” then he pointed directly tat Saran and held it there until he knew that she was understanding the responsibility that he was placing in her best friends hands, “and this little angle away from that cave until you have heard all of the story that I have to tell you.” He paused for what seemed like a life time to Devon but some how he knew that he wasn’t to reply just yet. Red nodded his head with the approval of knowing the child was waiting for the rest, “I do mean all of it. Every last detail.” Swallowing hard he spoke. Devon replied, “Yes Sir. I do promise and I will keep it.” Red considered the boy that was sitting in front of him trying so hard to be brave and to be a man. He gave him a thin smile and reached out his hand to be shook. Devon didn’t hesitate at all. He took Red’s hand , expecting it to be cold and disgusting feeling. Red’s hand was warm and his shake was steady and firm.

  “Red?” He turned back his gaze to the young girl speaking to him. Her voice was shaky but she spoke anyway. “Red I promise, too., What ever it is that you have to tell us, we will wait until we have heard it all.” Red smiled warmly at the small frame sitting nervously beside her friend. “Now go on home you two. I need to get some sleep.” He was already laying down with his yes closed. They climbed out from under the bridge. Mounted their bicycles and were a few blocks away before they simultaneously pulled to the side of the road to talk.

  “I bet that there is ghost down there,” Devon began excitedly and maybe even a buried treasure or something?” “Don’t be ridiculous. There isn’t anything down there. He is just trying to scare us.”

  Devon sat contemplating what his friend was telling him. Could it be true? Could Red just be having fun with them? He didn’t think so but he had enough doubt about it in his mind to wonder about it.

 She spoke again, “but maybe there is a treasure of some sort down there.” She was smiling ear to ear. “what do you mean?” He asked. How many different kinds of treasure could there possibly be? He wondered.

  She was still smiling but she was deep into her thoughts. “Hey, what do you mean?” “He asked again. “Well, maybe the reason that no one
around here knows anything about Red’s past is because,” she paused for effect, “maybe, he was a bank robber?”

  Devon sat, straddled on his bike and watching her eyes glow over with excitement. “Do you really think so?” He was getting just as excited as here. “We have to go!” He heard himself saying before he could help it. “I mean you know after he talks to us,” He added.

  She leaned over, almost touching his nose with hers, “Maybe we shouldn’t wait. Maybe he just wants to stall us so he can go get the money for himself.”

  Her words raced though his head so quickly that he had the sensation of spinning. “Do you really think so?” He asked. She leaned back a little but not enough for him to feel comfortable before she replied. “Why else would he not want us to go in?” She asked. “I don’t know. I really don’t but we promised.” The smile on her face faded quickly, then she said. “I know we have never lied to him. We will come back tomorrow to hear the story, then we can go.”

  He searched her face for confirmation that she was telling the truth. Then, when he decided that she was, “ok. Let’s go back to my house and mess around. I don’t want to waste the whole day.” They agreed and rode off with the conversation with Red fading from their minds. After all, it was a Saturday afternoon and they didn’t want to waste it.

  NEXT CHAPTER

  “Hi mom,” Then with just a slight hesitation, “Hi Debbie,” Saran said as they darted through the living room and on their ways up the stairs to his bedroom. “Wait a minute you tow. Hold your Horses.” They both stopped to face her. “I’m glad to see you both but why aren’t you exploring your cave?” She asked.

  The excitement of their conversation with Red came flooding back to him. “Mom,” He began now coming back down the stairs two at a time. “There is a buried treasure down there and we are going to be rich!” Her face was puzzling as she looked from him. To his friend still half way up the stairs.

  He could feel Saran’s stare from behind him. he pictured red lasers shooting out or her eyes and into the back of his scull. Just like how it was in some of the Saturday morning cartoons that he had seen. “He’s just being goofy,” He heard Saran saying. “Red just didn’t want us to go into the cave today because of all of the rain that we have been getting and your son,” she was standing beside him now, “ didn’t want to get his jacket dirty.” She finished with her teasing, what a wimp expression.

  Debbie studied them both for a moment with her, I can read your minds you silly kids kind of scrutiny. How can Mom’s do that? He protested in silence. Kids are suppose to be able to fool adults. It’s some kind of law or something, isn’t it? He thought. “Why don’t you both come over here, sit on the couch and tell me about it? She motioned for them to do it now. She wasn’t angry that was easy to tell but she wasn’t angry, that was easy to tell but she wasn’t going to let this one slide without finding out more either.

 They both sat down and he noticed that Saran was still wearing her, it’s ok smile. Nothing is going on, look. He wished that he was as good at is as she was. They lyrics to one of his mothers favorite songs were playing in his mind, she was practiced at the art of deception, sang by Sir Mick Jaeger. His mother seemed to already know what he had just learned. Mick must have written that song about Saran. Because, his mom turned away from Saran and looked directly at him.

  “What exactly did Red tell you two?” His mother asked him. He sat with a puzzled expression covering his face. How could he explain childhood intuition to his mom. After a minute he gave it his best shot. “Well he didn’t actually tell us anything. He made us promise that we wouldn’t go near the cave until he talked to us about it.” :He seemed angry or upset about something,” Saran added.

  Debbie thought over what the children had told her before she asked, “What about a treasure or something” What made you think that?” He could feel his cheeks turning red. had it seemed so ridiculous just a few minutes ago?” It was just because he is hiding something>“ Then, so he wound’s feel like the only fool. “Saran thinks that he robbed a bank and the money is stashed down there,” He felt like a tattle tale as soon as the sentence had left his mouth., so he added, “I think she is right.”

  They sat in silence as they all thought it over. Debbie’s mind was going from one extreme to the other. First, she thought that it was all going from one extreme to the other. First, she thought that it was all just the imagination of the kids and that Red wasn’t hiding anything. Adults could be frightening to kids when they drank and she knew that if he had been awake Red had been drinking. Then her thoughts wondered to terrible images of a brutal murder and the disposed body that may be waiting to be discovered within the cave. That could certainly drive a man to drink. If he had witnessed such a crime, or worse yet, if he had committed it. What too if he had robbed a bank or an armored car or something? he never seemed to have trouble affording his alcohol.

  “I don’t mean to interfere> I really don’t. I’m sorry but I think that the best thing for us to do is to let me go with you the next time that you two  go to see Red.” Saran shifted in her place. Obviously disturbed by Debbie’s suggestion. “He won’t talk to you.” Saran was pleading more than talking. “He won’t talk to anyone else about the cave.”

  She looked to Devon for help. He was sitting, unmoved with a very serious look on his face. “I don’t think that it is a bad idea.” He said.  Saran was angry with him. :listen Saran you know that he’s has never acted as strange as he did today. I was a little afraid of him.”  “He would never hurt us.” She said, “He likes us or he never would have told us about the cave.”

  “I agree,” Debbie jumped in. “But I don’t think that he ever expected you two to go exploring it. It obviously upset him and I don’t know why. Listen,” she was doing her best to calm down Saran so that she would see that this was the way that it had to be. “I can’t allow either one of you to go into that cave until I know in my heart that nothing other than the normal things are in there.”

  “Saran.” It was his turn to try to reach her. “What if we are right and there is money hidden in that cave. I know that Red likes us, but I don’t think that he would let us find anything that would get him into trouble.” Good, he thought. he could tell that she was listening he continued, :what if it is something worse than money?” He paused waiting for her to look into his eyes. “What if it is a body or two?”

  Debbie could see that Saran was giving in. She took the opportunity to make sure, “Honey,” she began. Addressing Saran. “I won’t do anything to embarrass you. I promise that I won’t. Saran relaxed and leaned back into the sofa, “Ok. I just really like him and I don’t want him to quit talking to me. You know?” There was that all too familiar sadness in her eyes as she spoke.

  Debbie regarded her and realized that Red had probably been more of a father, or grandfather figure to Saran that any other man had been in a very long time. She was very careful with her words, “I do understand. I know that you really like him and there is no doubt in my mind that he cares for you. I promise you,” she reached over and placed both hands on Saran’s shoulders, “ I won’t do anything to ruin your friendship with him. Saran smiled, then nodded her approval .

  “Ok then. What do you two say? Why don’t the two of you go upstairs and play video games. I will cook us all something to eat, then we can all sit down and watch a movie together. How does that sound?” Debbie was already walking to the kitchen when she asked.

  They both said Ok, and went up to his room to play on his Sony Play Station. As they climbed the stairs they could hear the radio come on in the kitchen and the sound of Debbie’s  voice as she sang along with that lady who sings that Titanic song. All was well, he thought to himself. She was a great mom, maybe the best.

  He tossed and turned deep in a restless nightmare. Deep within the earth with his three best childhood friends. They didn’t really mean for it to happen. ‘We were just friends.’ Her cried out still trapped in the memory of what they had done. ‘We were just kids.’ Still sleeping but now the words were a painful sob.

  Moments later the sound of himself screaming woke him from his drunken slumber. Too frightened to move he laid there feeling the burning of his watering eyes. he knew what had to be done now. He had to do it. There really wasn’t any choice, was there? He knew the answer.

  His heart eventually slowed back down to a survivable rate and he was able to think more clearly. He felt some relief, knowing that the secret. his secret would soon be told. That it would be passed onto someone else. He was the last one that knew, it just worked out that way. Deciding that it could wait until evening and with his decision resting easily on his heart, he closed his eyes once again, telling himself not to wake until most of the alcohol had worn off. Yes, he would start what had to be done tonight. He drifted back to sleep. This time without the nightmare of his past.

  The three of them sat together on the couch watching, The Fog. It was one of Debbie’s all time favorite old Movies. Devon usually wouldn’t admit it but it still scared him a little even after all of the times that he had sat and watched it with his mother.

  He kept tapping the side of the couch every time that the for was rolling in and more people were going to die. he was really trying to keep himself from becoming frightened, so he teased the two girls. Tap, tap, tap, then with his eyes as wide as he could open them he would turn to face them, “What was that?” He would tease.

  Debbie would roll her eyes at Saran and she would copy her and say, “Boys, aren’t they silly? Then they both would laugh. In the movie the fog was rolling up to the light house when there came a knock on the door. All three were startled. “I’ll get it,” Debbie raised to answer the door. “No mom, don’t!” He was embarrassed but still he really didn’t want her to open the door.

  Debbie regarded him for a moment, then suggested, “Why don’t you pause the movie so I don’t miss any of it?” He liked the idea and did it quickly. Monsters from movies couldn’t get you unless you were in bed or still watching them on television, He thought to himself. Saran restarted the movie as soon as he set back down the remote, then glared at him teasingly. “I’ll protect you,” she said jokingly.

  Debbie opened the door and to her surprise found Red standing there holding a bottle of wine. Red watched as Debbie glanced first into his eyes, then her gaze landed and remained on the bottle of wine that he was holding.

  “Oh, Good evening Miss. This is for you.” He extended out his arm and handed the bottle to her. “I know that it is rude to show up here on your doorstep without being expected, or invited for that matter but I don’t have much use for telephones. I was hoping that Devon and Saran would be here so we all could talk.”

  Her attention was back on his eyes and he felt better. She was seeing the intelligence that most people were very surprised to see when they looked into Red’s eyes. She didn’t seem surprised at all. “May I come in for just a few minutes?” He asked politely. “Or if you wish I will just say good evening and I will go.” He smiled warmly, “I am sorry that I have disturbed you,” Red said as turning to leave.

  “No, it is alright. Come on in.” She said as she stepped to the side to give him room to pass into the living room. “The kids and I were just watching an old movie. You aren’t disturbing us at all, “she said as he passed through the doorway.

  “Won’t you have a seat,” Debbie motioned to the recliner, “and I will get us a couple of glasses.” She was already in the kitchen before Red could respond.

“What’s going on Red? I don’t think that I have ever seen you go into someone’s house before. Hoping that he hadn’t just hurt Red’s feelings, “what I meant was,,,” “It’s alright. You are right. It has been a long time sense I’ve paid a visit to a friend at their home.

  Devon was gleaning from ear to ear, “What is it dear?” Debbie asked him as she entered back into the room. She was carrying two half full glasses of the white zinfandel that their visitor had brought them. Saran answered for him. “He’s acting all goofy Debbie because of  Red, calling him his friend,” She giggled a little when she had finished speaking.


  Red graciously accepted the glass of wine from Debbie and sipped on it lightly before speaking, “Well, He is my friend Saran and of course, so are you.” He smiled at them both warmly, then took another small sip from his glass.

  The room fell into an uneasy silence for longer than Debbie could stand. She cleared her throat, hoping to get Red’s attention but he just sat in silence. Now staring at the television. “Excuse me Red, was there any particular reason that you dropped by?” Debbie hoped that she wasn’t sounding rude, so she added, “of did you just drop by to say hello?”

  Red laughed lightly and she found it very charming. He turned away from the television and spoke to all of them. “Please forgive me. I didn’t intend to be rude.” He laughed a little harder this time. “I am sorry. It’s just that I haven’t watched television for a very long time. I had forgotten just how captivating it can be.

  “We do understand.” Debbie said. “Yea that’s ok Red. We don’t think that you’re rude,” Devon said. Then added, “We are all watching a spooky movie. it’s called The Fog. If you want you can watch the rest of it with us.”

  “yea Red, that would be cool. Want to watch it with us?” Saran was excited at the idea and it showed in her voice. Debbie added “Red you certainly are welcome, too.” She was sure that he hadn’t came with the intention of watching a movie.

  He surprised her when he replied, “Are you quite sure?” His smile was warm and genuine. “I am. go ahead and rewind it Devon. We haven’t gotten into it very far. That way our guest can see the entire movie. Debbie stood before saying anything else. “And I will get the adults another glass of this wonderful wine.”

  She took his glass from his hand and smiled warmly at him. ‘I like her,’ he thought to himself, that will make this a lot easier. “Thank you Miss,” He said as he returned her kind smile. “You may call me Debbie. All of our friends do.” She left the room to get more wine.

  “Well, you are a very lucky little fell, aren’t you?” Red said to Devon, then added, “your mother is a very kind woman.” Devon was a little embarrassed but he replied, “Yes she is. I know that I’m lucky.” After all, he was very proud of his mother.

  Saran scooted closer to Devon on the couch and spoke as she did. “Come on over here Red. You can see the TV. a lot better from over here.” She dad made plenty of room for him right beside her. “Thank you very much,” Red replied as he sat down beside her.

  Debbie entered the room. “Alright, let’s get this show on the road.” She handed Red his glass of wine and said, “Welcome Red. Welcome to our home.” “Thank you Debbie. You are very kind.”

  They sat watching the movie. Laughing sometimes at ?Red’s reactions to the film. He jumped the first time that the monsters appeared and several time he would have a look of complexion on his face, “Oh my. Oh my,” he would say as the fog rolled in on the screen. It was obvious that he was having a wonderful time.

  He and Debbie finished the wine and then moved on to the bottle of Gin that Fed sheepishly but cutely asked her to join him in a taste while pulling the unopened bottle from one of the pockets inside of his coat.

  By the end of the movie they both were what Debbie called, a little tipsy. She was more than just a little but she knew when to change to soda and when she did so, He joined her.

  Devon hit the rewind button on the television remote, the only sound was that of the VCR, spinning the tape back into it’s starting position. Red tensed some but he had come here for a reason and now he was ready to talk about it.

  He began, “Debbie have the young ones here told you about the cave?” He was sure that they had. he could tell that she was one of those mothers that her son could, and would confide in. He just didn’t know any other way to get the conversation started.

  “yes Red, they have. I have to tell you that I think today you spooked them a little.” He smiled an apologetic little smile. “I know that I did,” Now looking at the two kids, “and I am sorry for that you two but I did if for a good reason.” Now, he returned his attention back to Debbie. “Debbie I have to ask for your help on this one.” “What can I do for you Red?” “I may have made a mistake today with the kids. I know how kids are. I think that I may have sparked their imaginations by being so firm about not going into that cave and I need your help to make sure that they do not go in it.”

  Devon was a little hurt and he spoke up, “Red we promised you that we wouldn’t go until you told us we could.” “I know that you did but I also know what a temptation it must be for you both.” Red’s shoulders slumped and he added softly, “I understand giving into temptation.”

  Quickly he seemed to pull himself together. he returned his attention back to Debbie, “I have to leave town for a week, then with your permission I would like to come back over and talk to all three of you. I want to tell you what happened to me in that cave.” Debbie was embarrassed for him. She watched him try to wipe away a single tear before it was noticed. It didn’t work.

  “Red, I don’t want you to worry about it. They are good kids and they will wait until you get back to tell us what it is that frightens you so much about that cave,” then she added, “why don’t we plan on having dinner next Saturday, say around six next Sunday, If that will work for you?”

  “That would be wonderful, Debbie,” Red said as he stood to go. “I am sorry for intruding on you all. I enjoyed the movie and your company very much.” “We enjoyed having you Red.” Debbie stood to see him to the door. “Red, we won’t go into the cave, we promise,” Devon called after him. “Goodnight everyone and thanks again.” Red walked off and quickly disappeared around the corner.

  Debbie returned to the couch to find both children simply beaming with joy. Saran was the first to speak, “Well, what do you think of him now?” She asked. Knowing what the answer would be. “I admit it. I really do like him. I don’t think that he would do anything that would harm anyone.” She smiled as she sat down between the two of them. “Actually, I found him quite charming.”

“He is always kind and I think that he is smart,” Saran pushed for more applause for their friend. “I think that he is from another county,” Devon began, “When he was talking to us earlier today, I would have sworn that we were listening to someone from England.” Turning to Saran for her to confirm what he was saying. “yea,” she said, over emphasizing, Debbie thought. “I heard it, too. I think that he came from London, or somewhere near. I had a college room mate from Cambridge,” she smiled as if remembering, “when I was much younger, who pronounced their words very much the way that Red does.” Saran was wearing her, ‘we told you he was cool,’ smile.

  “Ok, ok you two. I already admitted that I like him, too. You don’t have to sell me on him anymore. I am going to go on to bed now, I am beat. Saran, honey, I am not trying to be mean but I do think that you should get on home. I don’t want you getting into trouble for being over here so late.” “Ok Debbie, Goodnight.” She told Devon that she would see him in the morning and started to leave.

  “Wait a minute,” Devon called after her. Mom, can I walk her home real quick?” “Yes. That’s a good idea but you get right back home. You know how irresponsible these kids drive around here on Weekends.” “I know. Be right back.”

  There was an un-answered question dancing in the pit of their stomachs on the short walk to her house. They walked in silence, both hoping that the other would bring it up but neither one did. “We will talk about this in the morning,” Devon finally said as they reached the curb in front of Saran’s house. “Ok” Not really paying attention to him. She was listening for sounds coming from inside of her house. It was very quiet. He watched her as her shoulders relaxed and she released a cautious sigh. “Ok. I will see ya in the morning,” she said as she left his side and entered her house. “Goodnight,” he called after her and began running home.

      NEXT CHAPTER

  Red stood in line waiting patiently for his turn to purchase his flight ticket. he stood erect and firm. Wearing a brand new Diamante jacket and the finest tailored trousers that money could buy. He looked all of twenty years younger than he had just the night before.

  The counter person looked him over with obvious approval before she spoke, “Good morning Sir. Welcome to Concord Air. how can I be of assistance to you today?” A little surprised that he still could feel at home and comfortable with this kind of attention he spoke, “Good morning Miss. I am in need of a round trip ticket to London. I wish to leave as soon as possible and to retune on Friday evening, or Saturday morning.” Again he was surprised that the ways of his youth were still deeply a part of him. he spoke as a man who always got what he wanted and would just be simply beside himself it things didn’t go his way.

  “ That is fin Sir. Let me check and see what we have available.” She began pecking away at the keyboard in front of her. She chewed on her bottom lip as she read the information on her computer screen.” After what seemed to be hours of disgusted sounds coming from her his appointed query, she spoke. “Here we are Sir. We have a flight, 1076, leaving here at ten thirty and arriving in London at six thirty tonight. London time of course. and the return flight will arrive back here on, Saturday, the twentieth at nine am, our time.

  “That will be just fine,” He stated. “Now, tell me where I could find a decent breakfast and cup of tea before departing, if you would be so kind.” He was having fun with his old ways. “Of course Sir. Walk strait down this way,” she shad as she pointed left, “and you will see a restaurant called, The Flight Deck. They have wonderful food and I’m sure that their tea will be to your liking. “ He was sure that she was flirting with him and he really didn’t mind.


  “I will just need to see your passport and how will you be paying for this Sir?” Yes, he was sure of it. She was flirting with him. “Of course. Here is my passport and I will be paying cash, if you don’t mind.” He politely declined her offer of flight insurance and handed her the $1,257.00 that she had requested for the tickets.

  “Alright Sir. Everything seems to be in order.” She printed out his tickets and handed them to him along with his passport. “Your flight will be leaving from this terminal at ten thirty. Boarding will begin at nine thirty. Thank you Sir for flying the Concord.” He notice that her tone was less flirtatious. More professional now, then he say why. A man, approximately her age, was watching on from the length of the counter with jealousy bunging in his eyes. Oh yes, the boyfriend, he thought to himself as he accepted his tickets and passport from her you and soft hands. “Thank you my dear. You have been a spindled bit of help.” He smiled warmly and walked away toward the flight Deck Restaurant. It was now eight thirty. He had plenty of time to enjoy a light breakfast before boarding the concord.

NEXT CHAPTER

  Debbie was taking her third drink from her, too strong coffee, when she heard the familiar knock at the door. “Come on in,” She called out to Saran, then hearing the door open and close, “make yourself comfortable. He will be down in a few minutes.” “Thanks Debbie.”

  Debbie took out two cereal bowls for the kids and started two pieces of toast for herself. “What are you up to today?” Saran walked into the kitchen. “Hi sweetie. Nothing really, just trying to wake up. Are you ready for some cereal?” “No. Not yet. I’ll wait for him.” She was eying the box of Captain Crunch with crunch berries.

  Devon stumbled into the kitchen. Still rubbing the sleep away from his eyes. “Why are you two being so loud?” He asked as he sat down and placed his forehead on the table. “Someone didn’t get enough sleep last night.” Debbie teased. “I guess that I will have to eat all of the Captain Crunch myself then if he’s too tired to.” Saran joined in.

  He slowly lifted his head and stared directly at Saran. Without truly seeing her. “I had that bad dream again,” he said with his nose all crinkled up and snarling. “What dream is that?” Debbie asked as she handed them both spoons. “He has been having this dream every since Red told us about the cave. He dreams that he is falling into the earth and he thinks that if he hits bottom he is going to die.” Saran said, just partially interested. She was now focusing on the Captain Crunch.

  “Well, don’t let it bother you. Everyone has bad dreams some of the time,” Debbie said trying to comfort him. “I know but this one just seems so real. I can never wake myself up when I am falling.” Saran still was in the mood to tease him. “Just think of a giant pool of Captain Crunch that you are going to land in and you won’t be frightened anymore.” She was smiling brightly. “That may not be such a bad idea,” Debbie agreed. Wearing the same smile as Saran. “Of course, for me it would be a giant glass of Pepsi.” All three of them laughed.

  NEXT CHAPTER

  “Mr. Stanton, was it?” The receptionist looked back up at him briefly, then returned her attention to the chart in front of her. “Did you say that you were a friend or family?” “Actually, I didn’t but if it is procedure to disclose this information that you care nothing about, you can list me under friend.” Red was unfamiliar with this anger that he had set aside so many years ago.

  The nurse set down the chart and gave her full attention to him. “I wasn’t trying to be rude. It is just that he has been here for thirty five years without a single visit.” The cold reality of what she was saying hit Red hard. “Of course. I am sorry. I didn’t realize that it had been so long. I will answer any and all of your questions but first may I ask one of my own?” The tension in her poster slighted and she unfolded her arms, “you may,” She replied. This time with genuine curtacy.

  “How bad is he? I mean, if you allow me to see him. Is there any chance that he will know who it is that has come to see him?” She studied his question before answering.

 “It is really hard to say. Sometimes he is quite aware of his surroundings. Of recent events and even long since past history. At other times he can’t even recall his own name.” The nurse had many questions of her own. Red could see them surfacing as she considered him.

  “I knew Timothy when we were children. He had an accident and well, he never was the same.” The nurse leaned forward with interest. “What kind of accident? Was his brain injured?” She asked with obvious certainty that this was the cause of his condition.

  “No, nothing like that. He was trapped underground for several days in a cave the he,” Red considered what he was saying, “that we were exploring.”

  The nurse leaned back in her chair and crossed her fingers behind her head. “So, his condition is psychosomatic?” She finally said. “For all of these years it has been about a fifty split around here, as far as guessing what happened to him.” “I see.” Was all that Red replied.

  “That would certainly explain his fear of the dark,” the nurse said as she stood. “Follow me. I will show you to his room. I hope that you understand there will have to be an attendant with you until we seal what kind of reaction he is going to have to a stranger.” She stopped walking, turned to face Red. “I didn’t mean that as an insult,” she said, “What I meant was someone that he hasn’t seen in so many years.” “That is quite alright. I understand your concern. I should have made this trip some years ago. I am pleased to find that a person such as yourself has been watching over him.” Red turned his gaze to the floor. Surprised by his own embarrassment.

  “The past has a way of catching up with us. Wouldn’t you agree Mr. Stanton?” He returned his gaze to her. “Yes, I would have to say that this is true.” They exchanged Curtis smiles and continued down the long sterol hall to Timothy’s room.

  They approached a set of heavy doors with an armed guard standing facing anyone approaching. Red could hear the screams of madness coming from the other side of the doors. he faltered in his step. “What is it, Mr. Stanton?” The nurse asked. Red’s face had gone to a sickened yellow. Almost transparent appearance. “Do you mean to tell me that he is locked up behind those doors?” His voice gave was to quivers of nervousness as he spoke.

  The nurse gently took his arm. “My Stanton, the people behind these doors are either a danger to others, or sometimes to themselves. They are still People. We don’t treat them with any less compassion and care. We just have to be very careful with them.”

  “I understand. I do.” They began walking again. “Which on is he?” Red asked motioning around to all of the locked doors.

  “I am not sure that I understand the question.” “Witch one is he? Is he a danger to himself or to other people?” “Oh, Timothy? He wouldn’t harm a fly. It is his thought processes that get him into trouble. he can’t seem to slow down enough to relate to other people. Most of the doctors here agree that in many ways he is a genius. I’ve even heard a few of them say that our Timothy is the smartest man that they have ever seen.” Of course he is, Red thought to himself, after all, that is what he wished for.

  They passed through the guarded door and into the lock down area. Out of nervousness, Red was desperate for conversation. “So, tell me. How long have you worked here?” She released a little giggle, then extended her hand. “ I guess that we were not properly introduced. My name is Jill Hendricks. It is a pleasure to meet you Mr. Stanton.” “Hennery, Hennery Wayne Stanton. Please just call me Red. All of my friends do.” He bowed politely as he shook her hand.

  “Now that we have that out of the way, shall we continue to Timothy’s room?” Red stepped back to her side. “Please lead my fair lady. I am humored to follow,” He mused. “Thank you kind Sir. It is just this way.” She chuckled as a shy school girl in response to the shivery.

  They stopped in front of a door numbered 148. “This is it Red. You will have to wait just a moment while I get one of the orderlies to accompany you.” He started to protest, “I say fair lady, Timothy and I…” Jill interrupted by placing her index finger onto her lips in a hushing fashion. “Now, now. It is just procedure. If he is calm and comfortable with you the orderly will be happy to step back out into the hall and wait.” Red felt his face heating up. He was embarrassed. Of course, I did forget.” He bowed his head slightly again in acceptance.

  Young but rather stout man approached them. “Hello Scott. Would you mind watching out for our visitor here, Mr. Stanton. He will be seeing Mr. Hallcott.” Scott’s smile quickly changed to confusion. “Timothy, Timothy has a visitor?” He said making no attempt to hide his surprise.

  “Hello Scott. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Now if you would be as kind as to open this door so that I can say hello to my childhood friend.” Red’s voice was kind, yet with a tone of someone who was sure that they would get their way. He neither expected nor would tolerate any trouble from young Scott.

  Scott looked to Jill for instructions. She had both of her eyebrows lifted as if to say, Well dear Scotty. I guess he just told you who is boss. Scott returned his attention back to Red. “Of course Sir. I will be glad to assist you. Has Jill briefed you on our procedures?” He asked. “Thank you Scott and yes I am completely aware of your protocol. Now if we could just get on with it, that would be lovely.” Red was more friendly this time and he was sure that it helped to set young Scott at ease. Just practicing, he thought to himself. It has been a long time since anyone looked to me for direction.

  Scott fumbled with his enormous key chain searching for the one numbered, 148. Finding it he said, “Ok Mr. Stanton, Let’s go in and see how Timothy is doing today. Let me go in first. It is best if he sees a face that he recognizes and trust first.” “A splendid idea,” Red agreed. “I have other matters to attend to Mr. Stanton.” Jill announced quite professionally. “I am very interested in how your visit goes. Would it be too much to ask if you would stop by my desk before you depart? I really would love to hear how it goes.” Her smile was warm and gentle. Red really did like her. “That wouldn’t be any trouble at all, Mrs. Hendricks.” “That is Miss Dear Sir and I am looking forward to hearing about it.” She smiled again and left him to his visit.

  Scott called out before he entered into the room, “Hello Timothy. Hi buddy. It is Scott. Can I come in?” There was nothing but silence. “I think that you are going to enjoy this. You have a visitor.” Red could hear the sounds of an old man clearing his throat. “What’s that you say Scotty? Did you say that someone is here to see me?”

  There was noticeable excitement in the unseen Man’s voice. It didn’t register any recognition in Red’s memory. He wondered if Timothy would recognize him at all.

  “Who is it Scotty? Who has come to see me?” The excitement that had been in his voice was being replaced with noticeable fear. “It’s alright Timothy. It is an old childhood friend of yours. Goes by the name of,” Red leaned toward him and whispered, “He goes by the name of Henry Wayne Stanton, I believe.”

  The silence over took the room once again. It hung there in the stale air as if it were forming a protective barrier. Ted was sure that he either was going to be turned away or his old friend didn’t recognize his name.

  “That will be all Scotty. You can leave the two of us. We will be fine. It is true that we are old school mates.” Scott hesitated for a moment before speaking. “Are you sure Timothy? It has been a long time since you have had a visitor. I don’t want to do anything to excite, or upset you.”

  “No, no. Thank you, of course, Scotty but I have been expecting this visit for quite some time now. We will be just fine.” Timothy raised his voice to the best of his ability, “come on in here you old Russian. Let these tired old eyes get a look at you.”

  Red entered the room slowly. Not really knowing what it was that he was expecting. The room, while small, was quite well kept. The disturbing fragrant that had been so strong in the hall, on this side of the looked door was all but gone. There was something very familiar about the aroma. It was on the tip of his tongue. “Sandalwood my old chum. That is what you are smelling.” He turned to see Timothy, smiling happily.

  Sandalwood, of course. You always did enjoy your Herbs,” said Red. He quickly crossed the small room and took in his friends hand firmly into his own, “It has been too long,” He said as he shook Timothy’s hand up and down. “Too Damn Long,” Timothy agreed.

Scott stood uncomfortably waiting for his chance to exit. “Well gentlemen, if that is all that is needed of me, I will see myself out and wish you both a splendid time getting reacquainted.” Both of the older men thanked him without releasing each other’s hand or gaze.

  Motioning to a small but comfortable armed chair in front of his desk, “Sit Henry. Make yourself comfortable and I will prepare you some hot lemon tea.” “Thank you. That sounds wonderful.” Red sat slowly, adjusting his rather large frame to the chair. “Very nice, very nice,” He said, “Not bad at all.”

  Timothy was pouring water into a pot, still smiling as he prepared the hot lemon tea. Red couldn’t help but to notice Timothy’s hand shaking as he carried just one cup of tea at a time and placed them carefully on the table that was also used as a desk.

  Neither spoke until Timothy had sat down beside Red and they both had a few sips of the refreshing lemon tea. “You know,” Timothy began, “I knew that it would be you that would come to see me.” He smiled, then sipped his tea again. “I don’t understand, Tim. How could you have known that I would be the one that would come?”

  Timothy burst into laughter, It was wonderfully strange. When he laughed, his voice sounded no different than it had all of those years ago. “Oh my, forgive me my dear old friend but you know what I wished for?” He laughed uncontrollably once again.

  Red got it. Of course Timothy would have known that he would one cay come to see him, to ask him about what he had learned. To search for salvation from the wish that had been granted with the whim of young boys on a hot Summers day so many years ago.

  Timothy was still laughing without control,  Red joined in without even attempting to control it. How could something so disturbing, so tragic in both of their life’s lead them to this point when all that they could do wait to sit and laugh at the strangeness of this world.

  Scott opened the door once, “Hey guys, are you two alright?” This only pushed them further into the hold of laughter. Cries of ooohhhh, nooo. Stop it. Oh god. Please stop it. Were filling the hall. Scott entered once again, “Hey fellas, I don’t wish to spoil a good laugh, god knows that you deserve it Timothy but you are starting to excite some of the others now. Please get it together.

  The laughter soon gave way to small but significant tears of sharing. A sharing of a secret that had changed their lives forever. It felt really good to Red. To be right here, right now sitting next to his old friend. He didn’t feel so alone in the secret.

  Timothy wiped the tears away from his eyes before speaking, “You have a problem. Do you not my friend?” He still could do it. He still had that deep understanding, or knowing about him. Red wondered if he needed to explain anything, or if he should just ask what it was that he should do.

  “I imagine that you are debating on telling me everything that is happening, or just simply wanting to ask me what it is that you should do?” Timothy was still smiling as he said this but there was a pain behind his smile. A deep pain, a pain with a plea, make my mind rest. Please give me a rest.

  Red leaned back and let out a very heavy sign before he spoke, “I screwed up Tim. I told two children about the cave.” Red’s head hung low. “I haven’t told them everything yet but I told them enough that I sparked their interest., They are going to go into that cave now no matter what I say.”

  Timothy sat in silence thinking. Always thinking but this time it was completely necessary. He wanted to help his friend and deep down in the recesses of his mind he knew that this day would come. “I don’t really think that you had any choice my friend. This thing is stronger than either of us ever could be. After all of these years living with the wish that I made, I still know nothing that has helped me to understand this life that I have been living.” This time it was Timothy that hung his head in shame.

  Red put his arm around his tired old friend and held him until he fell deep into sleep. He then eased himself up and turned to face Timothy one last time. When he reached the locked door he paused and spoke, “Rest easy my friend. Rest easy.” He knocked and Scott opened the door to let him out.

  “Did you two have a nice visit?” Scott asked him cheerfully. Red considered him before answering. “Yes, we did. It was wonderful to catch up on old times.” He paused before he added, “Scotty do you realize that behind that door is the most intelligent man that you will ever know?” There was no hesitation in Scotts reply. “We all know that Mr. Stanton.”

  NEXT CHAPTER

  He still had five days before he had to return to the states, so he decided to do some site seeing. He would begin by walking to the cathedral in the town square and dine on bread and wine at one of the many cafés along the river.

  The day was typical for London this time of the year. The fog was constant and the air was cool but not really cold. The aroma of the Themes was surprisingly refreshing. He had despised that smell as a child but now some how it had a redeeming quality to it. A feeling of safety and home came over him as he realized that in deed, he was home.

 Walking along the line of restaurants and pubs, pausing a few times before deciding to move along to a different one for his lunch, He was being escorted to a seat before he realized what it was that he had been searching for. He had chosen the busiest café that he could find.

  He found himself returning smiles and greetings with the other patrons as he followed the host to his table. “Sir, would you like to see our wine list?” The young attractive waitress was asking with just the right amount of interest. “Thank you Mrs. but I have decided already on a chartinea. One of your choosing would be just fine.” The waitress accepted the responsibility with great grace and vowed to return.

  Opening the menu, he discovered that his appetite was something of a stranger to him. Every item on the menu sounded wonderful to him. He decided on the special, witch was fish and chips, to be followed by a crisp garden salad and a bowl of French onion soup.

  The waitress returned and placed the wine on the table. He then stood back a few steps and waited for his customer to sample her selection. “Very fine young lady. I can see that I am in good care.” “Thank you Sir. It truly is my pleasure. Have you decided what it is that you will be wanting from the kitchen?” The waitress complimented him on his selection and then disappeared once again into the Café.

  The voices from the other tables swelled and caressed his spirit as he sat drinking slowly of his wine. A symphony of experiences swirled around him in the form of laughter and pleasant talk. He then remembered that he had forgotten to say goodbye to Jill after seeing Timothy. He turned in his chair hoping to see his waitress.

  As if on cue, The young woman looked up from the table that she was clearing and returned to his table. “Another glass of wine Sir?” She inquired. “That would be wonderful. Please tell me. Is there a telephone that I could use?” He responded. “Of course Sir,” then pointing, “Just through those doors you will find it at this end of the bar.” Then as if reading his mind, “You will also find a local directory there, if it is needed Sir.” Her smile was genuine before leaving his side and disappearing into the restaurant once again.

  He turned through the pages of the directory until finding the phone number that he needed. “May I,” He asked while pointing to the telephone when he caught the bartenders attention. “Help yourself Sir,” the younger man replied while vigorously shaking a martini mix.

  “Yes, good afternoon to you as well. I am calling for Jill Hendricks Please.” “One moment Sir.” The voice from the other end replied before quickly placing the receiver down and he found himself on hold.

“This is Jill Hendricks. May I help you?” Apprehension filled his entire body. He stiffened and suddenly felt foolish for calling.

  Clearing his throat first, “yes Jill. I am sorry to be bothering you but this is Hennery Stanton and” Jill interrupted him, “of course. The invisible man,” she laughed innocently. “I mean you must be invisible because I didn’t even see you when you came by to say goodbye.” She laughed again.

  That is why I am calling. I well, I felt terrible that I forgot to drop by on my way out.” She interrupted again, “Well, you should.” She still had a slight sign of the laughter in her voice. Alright, alright listen. I am at a little café by the river and I was wondering if you would care to join me for lunch? The silence hung as heavily as a dead man on a tree with those last words and He was sure that he could hear the limb breaking.

  “I think that I can do one better. I am leaving the hospital at three this afternoon. Why don’t you come to my flat for dinner?” This time it was him that hesitated. “Are you sure?” He began, “I mean it sounds wonderful but I don’t want to intrude.” “Nonsense. I would love to have you.” She excused herself to take another call, then she came back on the line and gave him her address. “Say around seven?” She asked when she returned to the line. It will be my pleasure and I will bring the wine.”

  He returned to his tab le just as his lunch arrived. he ate in public for the first time in twenty three years and enjoyed it immensely.
CHAPTER 14

Rain was coming in from the West. He decided to visit the library, where he had first read the book, The River’s Cave. It seemed amazed him how quickly he was adjusting to people greeting him with smiles and courtesy. It almost felt natural to him. An older gentleman at least ten years to his senior, he guessed, waited and then held the door open as he approached the entrance to the public library. “Thank you kind Sir,” He said as he passed through. The gentleman replied, “You are quite welcome young lad.” They exchanged smiles and went their separate ways through the long and narrow isles of literature.

  He found himself turning and going directly to where he had found the book all of those years ago. When in fact, he had been just a young lad. Finding it, he stared first without removing it from its resting place on the shelf, then he looked down the long isle in both directions and realized that his hands were sweating. He tried telling himself that it was just a book. Don’t be ridiculous, but the fact was it wasn’t just a book. It was among other things a map to the place that he had only fantasized about before moving to America.

  He removed it from the shelf and held it unopened. He didn’t know what it was that he had expected to feel. Maybe some strange tingling in his hands, or some deep rooted sensation of the book knowing him on some psychic level but there was nothing, nothing other than the sensation of holding a very old book in his hands.

  Looking around in all directions once again, he slipped the old book under his coat then casually made his way back out of the building.

  He hailed a taxi and requested to be taken to the Wiltshire. A fine Hotel located in the center of London’s hotel district.

  “Good afternoon Sir. How may I be of assistance to you?” The unfriendly voice asked from the other side of the front desk. “Good afternoon. I left my things with one of your staff when I arrived last night. Here is his card. He assured me that they would be well looked after until I could return to secure a suit for the next few days.”

  “Very well Sir,” the clerk took the card from his hand, “I shall call for him now. Your name Sir?” He handed the rude man his passport and went through the rest of the checking in process without saying anything else to the clerk. Except for, “I do prefer a room high from the streets and if at all possible in the back area of the hotel.”

  The man behind the counter handed him the key to his room and informed him that his things would arrive in just a few minutes. He thanked the clerk and retreated to his room on the seventh floor.

  The suite was decorated in old, luxurious fashion and the bedroom alone was larger than most of the one bedroom apartments back in Springs Missouri.

  The telephone rang and it was the clerk from the front desk. “I just wanted to inform you that your things are being brought up to you now and I wanted to make sure that you were pleased with your suite.” “Thank you and yes the room is fine.” He returned the phone to it’s cradle and opened the door just as the bell man was arriving. “I have your things Sir,” The young man said as Red stepped aside to allow him to enter.

  “Would you like for me to unpack and put your things away for you, Sir?” “No. That won’t be necessary. Just set them by the couch. That will be just fine” He realized that he was in need of a nap and wondered if it were he that was being short. To make up for any unkindness, he tipped the bell man well and thanked him once again.

  Removing only his shoes and jacket, he laid down on the over sized bed. he started to get back up to retrieve the book from his coat but decided to take his nap first.

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

   

 





© 2014 Danny Hampton


Author's Note

Danny Hampton
ignore grammar problems, this is completely unedited. I just hope to get some feedback on the substance. Thank you so much

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

Stats

204 Views
Added on December 29, 2014
Last Updated on December 29, 2014


Author

Danny Hampton
Danny Hampton

About
Greetings, I am a writer of suspense and mystery, poetry and lyrics. Published in poetry and lyrics. more..

Writing
Earth Earth

A Poem by Danny Hampton