DRV2 Chapter One

DRV2 Chapter One

A Chapter by Darkness Eternal
"

Dark Reflection Version Two

"

Today, my life has changed forever. My old life has ended, and now I must continue on into my new life. I feel nothing will ever be the same again, and I may not see any of my friends again. And yet my entire world was shattered by one stupid action. I went out into the woods. I had been going out into the woods for years, but this was the most traumatic thing to happen to me since I lost my family. My father had been killed on a hunting mission when I was little, but it was the loss of my mother that shook me the most. She disappeared into the forest two years ago, and had never come back. Soon after, my older sister, Gwen, had left as well, to explore the other realms. I was only 14. The two years following I began venturing into the forest, looking for any sign of what had happened to my mother. My trips became more and more frequent until I was going out every day. I attracted concern from many in the village because I was out in the woods al day and working in the village at night. Eventually, the people of the village began to guard the gates against me. Only once did I manage the strength to climb over the wall, but I was under surveillance after that, and was no longer able to sneak away. It seems like I was kept there for years even though I know it was only a few weeks. I was waiting for an opportunity to escape; escape the hut, escape the village, and finally that opportunity came. And I took it. The elder of their village came to visit me. I knew he was going to take her to either the healing hut or to his hut. I didn’t care which one, for I could get away from both. I was already formulating a plan when he turned suddenly and pulled me down a side road.

I had no idea where he was planning to take me. Both of the huts I was expecting to be dragged to were on the other side of the village. He pulled me to the outer wall and made several more turns. I was very lost now, and very confused. Eventually, he stopped, and I realized he had taken us to the oldest part of the village, where very few lived. Most of the buildings had been burned down many years before, but some still stood. I grew slightly afraid, because I knew no one would question the elder, and no one would be able to see us back here. So I ran. I decided it was too risky to try to get back to my home, so I ran through some of the burned down homes and heard him calling after me.

 “Jenavive! Come back! There is much you need to know before you can let this insanity continue!” I didn’t look back. I could hear his footsteps slowing down.

“You need to stop running so you can know what is really going on!” I still didn’t look back and I wasn’t going to stop until I was sure he was too tired to continue. I had almost made it to the wall when I felt a hand clamp around my arm. The elder had caught up with me. He pulled me away from the wall and back towards the center square of the burned down section of the village.

 “Jenavive, I understand you wish you discover the truth behind your mothers disappearance, but it has been nearly two years. You are 16. We fear for your safety.”  I tried to break his grasp, but he was prepared for me this time and kept hold of my arm.

“Why won’t you let me find her!” I screamed back at him, “Why won’t you let me go!” I began to thrash around more violently. He restrained my other arm, then put one of his feet over mine. I was stuck.

 “I will only give you one more chance Jenavive. Tomorrow you will be allowed to venture out into the woods. All day long you may search for your mother. Just know this. If you are not back before nightfall, we will close the gates, and you will not be allowed to return inside until dawn. After this chance, if you are found outside of the village again, we will be forced to lock you in.” I felt as if I could fly. I was going to be able to have an entire day to be able to search for my mother. As long as I got back before sunset, I would be fine.

 “I’ll accept those terms.” I responded, “but I want more opportunities to explore. Twice a week.” I wanted more, but that was the least amount of time I was willing to spend.

“Fine, but not full day.”

“Agreed.” I turned to leave the clearing, but turned back around to him. “And you will never be able to contain me. No one will.” And I walked defiantly away. I rushed through the chores I still had to do and immediately got ready for sleep. I wanted to leave as soon as the gates opened at dawn.

The next morning I was ready to go and out the door before first light. I bounded out of the gates into the forest; cutting through the many trails I had laid in the past. Vines brushed by my arms, and I hurried to the next area that was unexplored. The trees soon became less dense as I began to climb the foothill that encloses the village. As soon as I slid down the opposite side, I gasped. I walked toward the glimmering blue waterfall, and then stared down into the perfectly clear water. I bent down and cupped my hands. The water was cool, and pure. I decided to go looking deeper into the wood, and began to climb up the mountainside. I had never climbed a cliffside before, but I had noticed a small path carved into the side of the mountain, and there were plenty of handholds. I made quick progress, but when I got rather close to the top, maybe one hundred feet away, I lost my footing and nearly fell off the mountainside. I was able to regain my footing, but I had to slide down several feet into a crevice. I pulled a candle from my sack, and lit it. I looked down into the tunnel that had suddenly become illuminated with light. I looked back up at the sliver of the crevice entrance. I decided that I might as well check out the tunnel. My senses were on hyper alert in that tunnel, and my footsteps echoing off the walls weren’t helping my nerves. After several minutes of walking, I saw the sunlight flowing in from the end of the tunnel. I put out my candle and placed it back in my sack.  Blinking, I stepped back into the sunlight. The waterfall rumbled next to me. Startled, I looked down. The tunnel had emerged at top of the mountain, and on the other side. 

The cool spray of the falls made the rock path treacherous, but as I continued, I saw a small opening in the cliff side.  I managed to slip inside, and what I saw was incredible. The cavern was empty, save for a small pool of water. The walls were completely smooth, and a flow of water seemed to flow down the side and out the bottom of the wall. It was a waterfall room, and the floor was free floating. I stepped forward, expecting to hear a sharp echo. Silence. I continued to walk into the heart of the chamber towards the pool of water. Suddenly light poured in from several holes in the ceiling. All of the beams of light fell directly on the pool. I looked up and gasped. There was a pentagram carved deeply into the ceiling, and it was glowing faintly purple. The beams of light were coming from the points of the pentacle.  I looked back to the pool of water, and saw that it too was glowing a faint purple. 

I reached down and pulled my knife out of its sheath and cut the surface of the pool. I was shocked to see the pool had not rippled when I cut it. I poured a drop of water onto the surface, and was even more shocked to see the drop sitting on the surface of the water.  I crouched down next to the pool and was reaching out to touch it when suddenly the pool changed from purple to red, and I heard the sound of footsteps coming from outside the cave.  I ran to the far corner of the cave, and found that I couldn’t get out. I ran to the wall by one of the openings in the pentagram and heard the footsteps stop. 

“You will wait here and guard the entrance. I do not wish to be disturbed.” I heard the voice say. I gripped my knife tighter and searched for a handhold on the slippery wall. I finally found one and drove the knife into the far wall trying to scramble up into the opening. As soon as I had pulled myself through it, I heard a small sigh and the rustling of fabric.  I made sure I wasn’t blocking the sun over the tiny hole, and held out my knife in front of me. I angled the knife so I could see into the hole.  I immediately identified the woman in the cave as Queen Rionna. I had never seen her before, but her black gown and long black hair gave her away.  I watched in fascination as she waved her hand and a wall of Shadow appeared, separating the cave from the mountain. She sat down in front of the pool if water and shook her head. She reached out to the pool of water, but then stopped, as if confused. She closed her eyes for the briefest moment, and then stared up at the opening where I was hiding.  I had to stifle a gasp.

Even my tiny village had heard of the attack from the citizens of the Light, but I had not realized how bad it really was. I studied Rionna’s face, and saw the all-telling scars. Months before, Rionna and her advisor had gone to Amara, to meet with Queen Rachelle. Amara was the heart of the light, however there were rumors about the crystal being tainted. All the people knew was that when Queen Rionna had returned, she had scars that would never heal, as they were inflicted by the Light and not by the Dark. Rachelle had become ill and died only days later, leaving her daughter, Kina, to rule the kingdom. Rionna had been sick for weeks, but recovered with the help of her assistant Nicholas. Rionna smiled slightly and looked back at the pool of water. She placed her fingertips on the surface of the water, and I watched as she brought her ShadowPower to her and it swirled around her. I watched as the wall of Power fell and went to swirl around Rionna. I watched as the guards rushed forward to help Rionna.  I watched as the power turned into DarkFyre, and began to consume her. I watched as a man rushed forward from behind the guards and began to try to stop the flames. I watched as Rionna was spirited away. I remained rooted to the spot, my grip steel on the handle of the blade, frozen by the sound of the fire, like the tortured screams of the dead, still ringing in my ears.

 

 



© 2009 Darkness Eternal


Author's Note

Darkness Eternal
is this version better then the first so far?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on August 23, 2009
Last Updated on October 16, 2009


Author

Darkness Eternal
Darkness Eternal

About
Writing is an escape. It is the key to a new word, a new beginning. It is an art, as carefully toned as any other. I believe this strongly, for writing is my escape from the monotony of the everyday w.. more..

Writing