Events of Change

Events of Change

A Chapter by David Allen June Cherry
"

This first chapter will explain the events that take place before The Revolt.

"

 

In 2032, a Democrat was elected President of the United States. He promised the nation change both economically and socially. Due to the economic hardships of the citizens of the U.S., he won the election. The people were looking for a solution and Tim Keltner was the answer.

Within his first year in office, he established the People's Healthcare Program, known as "Keltner-Health". The policy offered free healthcare to all working citizens of the United States, as long as they were legally American citizens and paid taxes. His plan was very popular but to pay for the program, Keltner had to raise the tax rates of the middle class and the upper class. The increased taxes caused anger towards the government across the nation, but the free healthcare was too good an offer to pass up.

In his third year, Keltner banned American businesses from shipping jobs overseas. This upset many American businesses due to the higher cost of a workforce in the States but many citizens were pleased with the decision. Unemployment rates dropped to four percent within six months after the law was passed.

He ran again during the next election and won over the majority of the middle and lower classes, giving him the Head of State position once more. Keltner then placed major industries, such at automobiles, fuel, and information technology, under control of the government. Many socialist programs had been established to assist the people during the trying economic times and Keltner used the benefits as the reasons for placing industries under government control. The people were curious of his actions but once again liked the benefits too much.

Soon after, America announced to the world its practice of democratic socialism. The people seemed content as long as they were taken care of and could speak their minds. During the final months of Keltner's presidency, Congress, the Democratic Party having majority, passed an amendment allowing four terms as president. Keltner of course won once again and used his past "progress with the economy" as his platform. He won the election for a third time and a few months after, Congress, the Senate, and the House only had a combined total of seventeen Republicans. The Democrats were the major power in the government. Congress then passed a law placing all exports and imports under the discretion of the government. To help maintain the government ran economic policies, the Socialist Commitee of America was established, headed by Vice-President Amanda Harbecker.

By 2046, Keltner had established a strong socialist presence in the United States. The people were cautious of it but were content with the peace and economic strength of the country.



© 2012 David Allen June Cherry


Author's Note

David Allen June Cherry
If you have any ideas or input, feel free to message me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
Added on October 27, 2012
Last Updated on November 1, 2012
Tags: revolt, american, war, revolution, future, alternate, history, battle, drama, action, adventure


Author

David Allen June Cherry
David Allen June Cherry

Pekin, IN



About
Young Highschool student who is interested in just about everything, From politics to fantasy, I know enough about it to at least make me sound like an expert. more..

Writing