Derec Lorhan

Derec Lorhan

A Chapter by Daryslock
"

Derec prepares for his trip, and seeks help in and old friend.

"

Derec Lorhan



Aurvandil, Castalia, the capital of the human kingdom


Pehle stood there and watched, as his master strode back and forth through the shelves, picking a book out and then after a quick look at it, immediately placing it back.


"Compendium! Where did I put you?!" Derec burst out in frustration.


Derec stopped for a second, and turned to Pehle, who had been waiting there unnoticed for roughly 10 mins.


"Finally you're here, what took you so long?! Wait, don't answer that! Just tell me you've found it!"


Pehle nodded and brought out a large encased grimoire from his satchel and handed it over to Derec.


Pehle had never seen his master this vivid before, he was used to being a sink to his master - letting his master flush all of his anger and frustration down on him.


'But this is different, he doesn't seem to be interested in tormenting me as of this moment... And why does he, all of the sudden, need an old demonic grimoire?' Pehle thought to himself.


Derec took out the grimoire from its cover and started sweeping through the pages.


"You did good Pehle, I'm beginning to see something taking a form in you. A form of a man. But the form must be carefully sculpted, and that is why, more often than not, I am hard on you."


Derec closed the grimoire after verifying it was the one he sought for, and placed it on the desk beside him.


Looking at Pehle, he pointed at one of the chairs and told him to sit.


"You see Pehle... The world is a hard and a dangerous place, and soon I don't even know what the world will look like."


"And maybe all the cycles you've been under my whip, will have mentally prepared you for what is coming, because in just 2-3 cycles you will accompany me and a group, to a place far from this kingdom."


Derec stared analyzing into Pehles eyes as he continued.


"It will be much more than just a journey to some distant land, and there will most likely come a time when I will need to put my trust in you. And I'm sure your loyalty will not crumble."


Derec stood up and turned his back to Pehle.


"That will be all, now go and make your preparations for the long travel ahead."


- "Yes master Derec... and thank you."


As Pehle got up and started to wander off, Derec shifted his sight back to the grimoire laying beside him.


'Hopefully this will take care of any language difficulties... However, the compendium would be a nice addition to bring along, if only I could recall where I've left it. Or did I lend it to someone?' Derec thought while dragging his fingers through his hair.


'Altough I doubt it, perhaps it would be worth taking a look around the city, there might be a copy at the Sunlit Archives. Besides, I should try to get in touch with Ul'vos. If there ever was someone to discuss this with - it would be him.'


Ul'vos Daer and Derec had previously worked together as advisors to Berians father, the former king.


They were very much alike, sharing similar political views, and the passion for the history revovling the Great War.


Every now and then Ul'vos would invite Derec over to his mansion. There, over drinks and lit candles, they would reminisce about the old days and discuss current events.


After Ul'vos retired as an advisor, he took an interest in the trading business. Before long he had become a successful merchant.


Derec patted his pockets while mumbling to himself the usual order... "keys", "goldpouch", "scrolls", "runes", "grimoire".


With everything in place, he descended down the stairs - exiting the towers main entrance, and on route to the market district.


Castalia - the capital, was buzzling with its population filling the streets, flowing like a stream in different directions. The market district was especially crowded and deafning, with merchant stands clumped next to each other on a long and broad street.


Derec walked further down the long street, not paying the merchants loud cries, any attention.


After a certain point down the street, there were no longer any merchant stands occupying the sides, instead, most of the buildings were much taller and well decorated, with signs hanging beside the stores entrances.


Derec glanced at the building standing to his left. It didn't look particulary impressive, it was made out of wood and stone, and stood roughly six meters in height. There were no windows, only a door with thorn patterns carved on it. Above the entrance, the sign spelled out "The Sunlit Archives".


Long ago, he had once stood at the same spot as a young boy, with his sight fixed on this wooden facade. Meanwhile, the rest of the boys at his age, were running around with wooden sticks, simulating battles with each other and dreaming of one cycle becoming a knight - the young Derec - back then, only sought to quench his thirst for knowledge.


The Sunlit Archives - during his young cycles - had been more of a home than anything else.


The nostalgic memories brought a smile to his face, and without further delay, he entered.


The smell. The lanterns lit with a blue flame. The creaking floor... The old The Sunlit Archives that Derec was familiar with, had not changed.


Derec advanced through the empty reading hall and stopped at the reception.


The reading hall was filled with furniture. Old and battered chairs and tables stood there, and on a closer inspection, a thick layer of dust could be seen covering all of it. The walls were merely bookcases. Behind the reception there were two staircases, one leading up to the second floor, and the other one lead down to the cellar.


After a quick sweep of his surroundings, Derec looked at the reception desk in front of him. A white cardboard sign with information had been placed upon it.


Dear Customer

Due to the lack of activity The Sunlit Archives is managed without personel.


Feel free to help yourself in your studies.


If you're here for a purchase use the exchange box and follow the instructions.


The store has been enchanted with a watching eye to prevent theft.


Enjoy your stay.


The knowledge of magic was wide within the Kingdom. However, almost all humans lacked the essence of mana. Without mana, one couldn't fuel the energy to produce a spell.


Therefore, humans relied on using scrolls, and runes, that were already enchanted with a spell, and the sufficent amount of mana to it.


There was however a limit to this, most humans could use the first tier runes or scrolls, some could use the second tier, a very select few could use the third tier. It was rumoured that the limit was based on one's intelligence.


By holding the rune, or scroll in one's hand, and uttering the spell by name, the magical energy stored inside, would be released.


The neighbouring Dryads, had a high essence of magical energy thus enabling them to enchant runes, scrolls or even items and supply them to the Kingdom. In return they would recieve any payment they'd desire, as well as protection.


Derec was among the few of his race who were able to use the third tier spells. Although, to his disappointment, he was not gifted with the ability to generate the magical essence called mana.


Derec brought up his scroll case on the desk, and after a quick search, he picked out a scroll. It was a scroll infused with the [Raven] spell.


On activation, the scroll flared up in blue flames turning into a raven, flapping its wings in front of Derec.


"Find me Ul'vos Daer, tell him that I, Derec Lorhan, is at the Sunlit Archives, and that I will wait for him here for the next three strokes. Now fly."


With the last words spoken the raven bolted away like a lightning.


The raven spell was probably the most common spell used in Aurvandil. Once the message was given to the raven, it would travel to its target, and relay the message in a form of a letter.


Derec strapped his scroll case back over his shoulder, and went in behind the reception desk. Peering at all the different folders stacked neatly together in the shelves, he took out a large catalogue.


With his finger strolling down the pages of the catalogue, he took turns to write down each section for each tome he sought for.


To Derec's delight the compendium was also registered.


With a passing of a stroke, Derec had managed to find the tomes he was looking for, and had them stacked up on a table in the reading hall.


He sat down on one of the chairs next to the table, and took a reassuring look at the stack.


The most noteable ones were:


The Compendium of Demons

A tome describing the known demons by name and appearance.


Demonic Power

A tome delving further into the different types of demons and their racial powers.


The Lost Artifacts

A tome listing and describing the mythological items lost during the Great War.


Whilst taking a moment to rest, Derec heard as the entrance door slammed shut, and footsteps pressuring the creaking floor, came closing in.


A man stepped into the reading hall and lifted his arms up wide.


"Derec! Since when did you start to afford using raven scrolls? Did you happen to stumble upon a chest of gold? Haha!" The man said with joy while approaching Derec.


Derec stood up with a big smile and embraced the man with a heartwarming hug.


"Ul'vos, your timing is impeccable! There is much I want to tell you, but first, will you help me carry these tomes? I was hoping we could bring them over to your mansion," Derec said filled with energy, while holding his hands on top of Ul'vos shoulders.


Ul'vos peeked behind Derec, at the large tomes, laying on the table, each one of them looking to weigh around 3-4kg. He then looked at the empty reception desk and back at Derec.


"I hope you're not trying to make me your accomplice in a theft, Derec."


Derec glimsped briefly at the reception desk, and then let out a small laughter.


"Ha!... Don't worry about that, I've made the purchase through their exchange box," Derec said whilst holding up a receipt.

“I see.”


“You will be pleased to know that I arrived here with my wagon, I’ll have my chauffeur load the luggage.” Ul’vos said with a hint of pride.


With the luggage carried onboard, Ul’vos and Derec sat down on the luxurious leather seats, on opposite sides .


“So… Derec, this would be an appropriate time for you to begin,” Ul’vos said as the horses began pull the wagon in motion.


“To begin?” Derec responded slightly confused.


“You said there was much you wanted to tell me.”


Derec looked out through the small window, seeing the people a few meters away strolling on the streets, he leaned up to Ul’vos’s ear and whispered “Not here”, as Derec got back into his seat Ul’vos gave him a nod, and started one of their typical conversations.


The wagon came to a halt, it was apparent that Ul’vos had been struck with an incredible anticipation as he rushed to get all the luggage carried into the mansion. He quickly patted his driver on the back and gave him his thanks and a couple of gold coins, and then entered his home along with Derec.


“Derec, you bring the tomes, I’ll get us some drinks ready”


Derec placed the tomes on the table, in the room they would always use to convene at. The room had no windows, instead, it had a large fireplace nicely carved out of stone with two meters in width. In front of the fireplace stood a large table with four comfortable chairs. The walls had enchanted candles lit, their enchantment made them last much longer than regular ones.


As Derec sat down in one of the chairs, Ul’vos came in and placed two cups on the table and then, with a bottle of wine, had them filled.


Ul’vos sat down and took a sip of the wine, and looked into the fireplace.


“Have I ever told that it’s not only the candles in this room that wears an enchantment?” He said and gave Derec a egotistical smile.


“No, not what I can recall.”


“Well as you know, I designed this resident on my own. And one of the criteria I had, was a room made for occasions such as these, a room for private matters. This room is enchanted to block any type of eavesdropping, magical or not. So let us begin.”


Derec took a sip of his wine, and then began to reveal what had been said during the meeting that took place earlier.


Ul’vo’s eyes were beaming of amazement.


“A demon?!” Ul’vos burst out.


“I guess the question was never if, but when… They would make an re-appearance. We both knew that those creatures would never go extinct, Derec.”


“I did however believe, that the final solution - that won us the war - would keep them contained.”


“Well Derec, what’s your take on this? I assume you briefed the King and his subjects on what could possibly occur now.”


Derec smiled intensely.


“Oh? You’re referring to a possible invasion, and a full scale war, one we would most likely lose?”


Derec’s smile faded and his eyebrows narrowed together in seriousness.


“I did no such thing.”


“I’m sorry? What?!” Ul’vos replied with a slight confusion in his voice.


“I told them what they needed to hear, that there’s nothing to be worried about. Why, you might ask? Because it’s essential for my plan. I believe this demon, this satyr, can be reasoned with.”


Ul’vos shook his head slowly “You’re out of your mind… To what end? What do you hope to accomplish?!”


Derec planted his elbows on the table, and leaned closer towards Ul’vos.


“You don’t find the details and behaviour of this demon interesting? From what Merkhan said, it sounds like this demon came there out of curiosity. Of course when the men attacked, it had to defend itself.”


“So the plan is pretty straightforward, I’ll go there and I’ll use the [Detect Demon] scroll. If I get in contact with the demon I’ll use the grimoire to communicate with it.”

“And then what?”


“You’re gonna change the world? Ask for eternal life? Make a trade deal?” Ul’vos said with annoyed expression on his face.


“Change the world? It’s going to change either way, now that one of them have ventured out from the dark. Perhaps with my guidance as an advisor, it will change to the better.”


Ul’vos chuckled, “So you’re gonna go back to your old occupation? That’s great old friend.”


“One thing is certain. You haven’t given this plan much thought. To be honest, if you were to follow it in its current state, you would without a doubt become a lousy meal for that satyr.”


“I know the plan is a bit crude, that’s why I wanted your take on it, Ul’vos.”


“I’m honored. You seem determined to do this, even though, I must say, this idea sounds more like a death wish than anything else. Even so, this is what I think we should implement to your plan.”


“First off, even if you’re old and perhaps not so tasty, you must convince it to spare your life. For that I’d recommend offering it gifts, I might have something that a demon would consider valuable, that I could give you.”


“Secondly, while I think it’s great that you have brought that grimoire for communication, I think you should also bring a scroll of common tongue.”


[Common Tongue] was a spell used to make communication between different races possible. When used the targeted being would become fluent in the language of the bearer.   


“Although, when I’ve previously read about humans that have communicated with demons in the past, using a grimoire like the one you got, it is said that, that person becomes cursed. You might have stumbled upon that claim yourself, for all I know, it could just be fancy rubbish.”


Derec yawned and then took another sip of wine.


“Killed, eaten or cursed, for me, at my age, I couldn’t care less. I’m more concerned if there’s any wine where this demon resides.”


They both looked at each other for a second, and then cracked up in laughter.


“Aaah… No but really, that just reminded me. Make sure to bring some food rations to carry on you, just incase.”


“Sure… You know what Ul’vos? I’m beginning to comprehend what I’m about to do, at first it felt like my mind just went mad with all these crazy ideas. And now I’m starting to realize that this could really happen, and I don’t feel scared, even if it might be a death wish, as you call it. I feel eagerness and excitement.”


“Of course, when you first mentioned that they’ve encountered a demon, I got chills running down my spine. There haven’t been any encounters for hundreds of thousand cycles. The last ones who saw them were the ones fighting them in the Great War. Most people doubt that they even exist.”


“I know, and most scholars also believes that the tomes describing the powers that the demons possess, are overexaggerated. If that satyr slaughtered two hundred soldiers with ease, I think the tomes are correct.”


“Anyways, Derec. Even if you successfully give it your gifts, and survive the initial part, remember, you’re gonna have gain its trust. And make sure it understands your value as an advisor, otherwise, your time alive will probably run short.”


“Don’t worry, I’ll figure something out along the way.”

“Good.”


Ul’vos placed his cup back on the table and stood up.


“Derec, go and get some rest in the guestroom, you look awfully tired. I’ll gather some scrolls and items that will come in handy in your soon to be, glorious endeavor.”  


“Thanks, old friend. I’ll make sure to repay you, and if this turns out well for me, I will send you a raven when on my return.”


As Derec got up and wandered off to the guestroom, Ul’vos went down to his cellar. There, in one of the rooms that looked like a storage room for cleaning tools, he dragged away the carpet from the floor, revealing a large safe box.


“Let’s see…”



© 2015 Daryslock


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't see why you were worried about this being considered filler. It shows there is proper preparation and conspiracy going on before the trip. It also provided insight to the magic system in your world.

Though...I thought chapter 2 when it talks about cycles you said there were no years?

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daryslock

8 Years Ago

Thanks for pointing out that little error, bud! Ive got it fixed :)



Reviews

I don't see why you were worried about this being considered filler. It shows there is proper preparation and conspiracy going on before the trip. It also provided insight to the magic system in your world.

Though...I thought chapter 2 when it talks about cycles you said there were no years?

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daryslock

8 Years Ago

Thanks for pointing out that little error, bud! Ive got it fixed :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
1 Review
Added on December 16, 2015
Last Updated on December 27, 2015


Author

Daryslock
Daryslock

Stockholm, Solna, Sweden



About
Swede living in Stockholm. Working full time at a police station in the southern part. 27 years old with a love for fantasy. Started writing my own fantasy novel on my spare time. more..

Writing
Nightfall Nightfall

A Chapter by Daryslock


Aurvandil Aurvandil

A Chapter by Daryslock