NiGhTsChOOl~ Part one~

NiGhTsChOOl~ Part one~

A Story by Dawn
"

a place full of mystery and drama where you can dream but still cannot escape from reality...

"

 

The three of us stand in madam Tsali’s office with guilty faces. Sure, we neglected our studies for five weeks because we were too busy reading mythical stories, swimming in the lake, hanging out with our fairy friends and trading kisses but we did not want to be reprimanded by madam Tsali. I suppose we were tying to squeeze in every possible moment of freedom. Everything has a price and we have to proof ourselves worthy enough to stay in Nightschool.

Ares stands next to me our palms brushing. For a moment I feel as though I cannot breathe. My feelings for Ares are so complicated. The night we completed our second assignment Ares and I nearly became intimate. I remember it like yesterday I could even feel his lips on mine, his hand on my back. He caught me looking at him and winked.

Mogh is standing in front of a display of animal parts. The jars are all neatly labeled and filed in alphabetical order. Madam Tsali entered swiftly bringing with her a faint scent of water lilies. I was surprised when she greeted us with a smile and an agreeable, “how have you been enjoying yourselves?”

We all reply pleasantly and wait for more, knowing quite well that this is not all she called us here for. Madam Tsali’s face changes as she sits. It assumes a worried look. “I called you because Dionysus has left Gorrenna.”

Silence reigns as we think of this. Mogh speaks up, “Where is she?”

“She is in Trinidad.” Madam Tsali looks at Ares and I.

“Trinidad?” Mogh asks quizzically.

“In the Caribbean,” I explain.

“Oh; that Trinidad.”

Ares and I both live in Trinidad. We have not seen each other for three years, in real life. During the day we cannot remember our dreams, only vaguely.

Ever waked up feeling refreshed and blissful after a wonderful dream? For the first half of the day you might remember it but after a while it drifts away from your memory, until you seem to recollect less and less. You fight to hold on to the joy, the wonder but soon it is time to let go; you find you cannot remember it anymore… the night is guarding it’s secrets.

That is how I feel every morning after a pleasant time at Nightschool. Especially when it involves Ares… He is looking at me right now with a smile on his face. Such a naughty look. I imagine that temptation is like incense; intoxicating and confusing at once.

Mogh is confused. “How am I supposed to do this task during the day madam Tsali and in another country?”

“I am sorry Mogh; you will have to help them by mind contact, it the only way without your poster being stuck all over the internet as a missing person.” Madam Tsali looks actually sorry as she says this and its no wonder; Mogh is her best student.

“Madam Tsali, its summer, I'll tell my parents I am going to Trinidad for my summer, they won’t mind.” He smiles hopefully.

Madam Tsali smiles also, obviously glad that Mogh will be around to check on us. Ares looks rather disappointed, but he quickly conceals it .

“How did she manage to get into Trinidad?” I ask. Mogh speaks up quickly, “She must have somehow gotten control of a person in Trinidad by haunting their dreams.”

“She is up to no good is she?” Ares asks raising one eyebrow quizzically.

“It does not matter,” madam Tsali explains, “We cannot allow nightmares to roam free, no matter what she is planning. You understand what haunting means don’t you? Dionysus tormented someone through their dreams, breaking their mind until they gave it up to her. She is not the person you know from your first task, she is using the person as a host; she is living in their body, controlling their mind. She has the ability to temporarily posses other weak humans, so beware.”

For the second time tonight complete silence reigns. Madam Tsali seems genuinely perturbed. “When you find this person bind Dionysus to her own night mare for eternity minus a thousand years. Remember to say those exact words or she can disobey you.”

I do not think before I ask this question “Is she like, a slave to the lands of Gorrenna?” Madam Tsali looks at me sharply before she answers. “Yes Selene, she is bound to Gorrenna just we are all bound to someplace, someone, something in our lives. During this task I will allow you to visit Gorrenna if you need anything, but since Dionysus is not in Gorrenna, that is unlikely.” That having been said, she dismisses us.


 


 

Ares and I stand idly by in our little grotto down by the lake. The lake glitters as the moon sprinkles it with light. Suddenly, there is a blinding flash that startles us both. “What the…”

The same devious looking creature who had been attending to Dionysus (then Snow White) appeared before us. “At your service milady.” he bows and smiles. I am horrified. “What do you mean?” I ask, which is an unintelligent question, because I know what this means; that thing will be my buddy until I bind Dionysus.

“What I mean is,” he pauses his murky eyes glittering, “I am you slave until you find my mistress. I must be present when you bind her because I am already bound to her and where she goes I follow.”

I will have to get used to Mr. bushy here following me around. Wait a minute, “You won’t be coming to Trinidad also will you?” “Yes milady, I can help you.” “Help me?” I repeat stupidly. “Yes milady I know snow white’s scent.”

Ares joins the conversation, stepping forward like out of the dark like a shadow meeting daylight, “What do you mean by her scent?”

“The scent of my mistress is peculiar, like every other creature belonging to the grounds of Gorrenna.”

“Creature, Dionysus is a creature?”

“Yes milady she is a creature of your dreams, she belong here, she is not human, like you are.” His voice has a mild flavor of contempt blended into his servility.

“You do not have to address me as ‘milady’.”

“As you wish M-” he pauses, and I for I second I think that he is going to defy me, “madam,” he says with a slight smile.

“Much better,” Ares jokes. I hit him playfully on the shoulder and he catches my hand. For I moment I am plastered on the spot as we gaze at each other but I ruin it by pulling away my hand and glancing at the creature sent to ‘wait on me’ self consciously. It is gone, no doubt to prepare for his first day in the real world.

Mogh comes in. “Selene has new ‘help’,” Ares announces. Mogh loses his grin. “Oh is that so.” We fill him up on what has happened. He seems consoled when we tell him that he claims her knows her scent.

“That should be true, you know that the creatures have strange scents, don’t you?” our blank expressions sell us out. “Didn’t you notice that Lance smelt weird also?”

No I did not. Mogh could really teach us a lot of things; we were lucky to have him. Ares abruptly changed the topic. “I saw you with Laesa last night.” Mogh froze on the spot, his face a mask. “I thought if you do it with someone in Gorrenna, you would have a bond with that person.” Ares says that accusingly and I realize that he blames Mogh for me not putting out. Mogh looks furious as he asks, “What the hell were you doing spying on me?”

“I was not spying; I was going to take a piss when I saw Laesa…”

“Shut up.” Mogh is desperate for it not to be said aloud. “I did not do it with her okay.” With that he storms away from us both. As soon as he is gone I turn on Ares. “Don’t do this,” I say warningly. “Do what?” Ares asks. He is daring me with his eyes to continue. “Do not blame Mogh for my decision.”

His eyes flash dangerously. “Your decision? What I’m not good enough for you? Look at how much we’ve been through together.” His nostril flares and for a moment I feel like caving in. Before I could say anything he is gone, swallowed willingly by the dark night. I lie on the dewy grass and try to think things out. Without crying.

© 2008 Dawn


Author's Note

Dawn
this is the first story i attempted, i've been writing it since i was 14 and i really like it actually. please feel free to comment, negative or positive i want to know what you think esp. of the characters, selene, ares, mogh, madam tsali, etc.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 29, 2008

Author

Dawn
Dawn

Valsayn, TX, Trinidad and Tobago



About
I am like a divalicious nerd, i say that because I could relate to divas and cheerleaders and girlie girls becuase i love shopping and other stuff and i could talk to nerds because i love reading and .. more..

Writing
Dream to live Dream to live

A Poem by Dawn