To Raise A Killer

To Raise A Killer

A Story by J.M. Morgan
"

A kindhearted assassin meets a small girl in need of help.

"
   I got shoved and looked back at the guy who had a nasty growling kind of look on his face. Los Angeles was always like this, people were rude and never apologized about it. I just shook my head and kept walking, I wasn't in the mood to fight anyone. I didn't exactly have a destination it was just nice to take a walk, with all the cars around you never see anyone walking to walk. I usually kept my head down and especially around cops, this just made them question me more. 'Speak of the devil.' I thought as two cops approached me, it wasn't like I did anything. I mean, yeah, being an assassin probably made people question you but no one knew so again not like I did anything, that they knew about at least. I kind of grinned as the tall cops stopped me. I picked my head up, of course I stopped grinning, and I noticed one before the other. The lady one didn't look like she could be a cop, soft face kind of like she was worried at all times. The other one, the guy, totally was a cop. The thick beard surrounding his face just gave off a threatening vibe. I asked them politely "What seems to be the problem officers?" The guy looked at me and thought for a moment before he spoke and asked "Have you been drinking, sir?" I shook my head "No, sir." The lady looked over to the guy and asked him, quietly but loud enough for me to hear "What are we doing with this guy?" The guy cop replied to her a little more hushed "He looks a little suspicious." I kind of laughed to myself "Officers, if I'm not being arrested I'd like to continue my walk." The lady nodded her head "Have a good evening." I nodded my head and continued walking. I figured maybe a black hoodie at night was a little odd.
   Once I finished my walk, which kind of did have a destination since I just from my home back to my home. Anyway, I went into the apartment building which really wasn't as dull and drafty as everyone always seemed to make Los Angeles apartments seem. I walked up the two flights of stairs and got to my place. "Hey Jack." I saw my neighbor call me "Hey Elvis." We finished our greeting, good guy. He's older with a kid who just moved out a little while ago. Good kid too, Elvis is a good dad. I went into my place and sat down on the couch, I decided to take a little break before work started, can't really kill people in broad daylight; well, you could just not ideal. I was sitting on the couch when I thought about if I should stay here or go to my bed. I sighed and got up going to the bed. Basically falling onto it and just staring at the ceiling before closing my eyes to fall asleep.
   When I woke up it was by a sudden vibration in my pocket. I pulled out my phone and answered it with "Hello?" A lady's voice came over the phone "Hi, I've heard you're able to get what I need done." I confirmed it "Yes, I am. Who, when and where?" The lady cleared her throat "James Collie, tomorrow morning at four a.m. and in his apartment." I nodded my head before looking for a piece of paper "Okay, send me a photo of the guy and the address." The lady agreed "Okay." I grinned "Lastly, how do you plan on paying?" The lady sighed "I'll meet you right after, I'll  be behind the apartment building." I nodded my head "Alright, about four fifty then." The girl sighed, obviously not thinking it would not be this much. "Okay." I hung up and checked the time seeing it was about midnight so I went back to bed and set at alarm for three a.m. Soon after I got a text of the details from the lady I checked it and went to sleep.
  Once more awoken by my phone except this time it was my alarm. I turned off the alarm and went to my kitchen flicking on my lights to get a bottle of water. I left my place with some black, disposable clothes, and went to my garage. Well I mean not mine an old friend's who passed away a little while ago. When I got there I checked to make sure no one was there and entered the security office to turn off the camera's. A somewhat rookie move but I had a trick that just made it look like the camera had fallen off it's mount. I got in and unscrewed the camera just enough for it to fall down therefore destroying it. I opened my safe and got my supplies out, which included some plastic wrap, some drugs to knock the guy out, garbage bags, a new phone, and finally a fine choice of knives and of course some bleach. I packed everything up into a bag and placed the bag into the fake bottom in the backseat. I waited about ten minutes so it would be three forty.
   When I got the apartment, exactly at four, I parked the car and checked for cameras; not seeing any I stepped out of the car and grabbed my bag. I recognized the place and realized it was the place I used to live in which worked for my alibi. I would just say I was here paying the last of my rent that was due, which wouldn't be a lie because I actually need to do that. I got into the building and checked my phone, the lady said it was on the fourth floor room one forty two. I walked up the stairs, since the elevator had a camera. When I got to the guys room I unlocked the door and quietly entered. I looked around and found a hallway of rooms. I looked through and listened for any heavy breathing or snoring. I found the room who contained our guy. I opened the door slowly before pulling our the syringe and stabbing him in the neck. For a quick moment he jolted up and fell back down. I sighed "Got ya."
   I brought the guy out to the back of the apartment building and god, if only that lady had told me how heavy he was. I know it was out in the open but there was a blind spot between two garbage cans that let me have somewhere to work. i shrugged it off and decided not to wrap the guy in the plastic wrap and just put it down where I was going to work. I wrapped his hands and feet in the plastic wrap so by the off chance he woke up he couldn't move. I sighed looking at the guy passed out in the dark and thought about how it would have been so much easier to just do this with a gun. I picked up a piece of cloth from around there and got it ready. I stabbed the guy in the heart and quickly placed the cloth over it. He would bleed out but no use it making it messy. After a few minutes I check his pulse and it was faint so I just took one more stab at him and did it in the stomach while placing another cloth on it. After a few more minutes I check and there was no pulse. I picked him up and moved him over to a spot in the woods behind the apartment building. This wasn't my favorite thing, it got bloody and honestly was just a mess. I did what I need to and buried him around.
   After I finished I called the lady and told her to meet me now. After a few minutes the lady showed up. She was definitely the guys girlfriend. I chuckled to myself a little and she heard me. She gave my the money and she asked "Why are you laughing?" I shrugged "You're the guys girlfriend, what did he do? Cheat? Make a bad impression on your parents?" The girl snickered "You do this like usual? Ask questions and make fun of your clients?" I shook my head "No, I'll be going then." I waved my goodbye to the lady and she called after me "He stole two grand from me." I snickered "Guess you got some of it back."
   I got in my car and drove home and realized it was about six so I laid on my bed falling asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. I woke up again near eleven to go and explored my kitchen looking for something to eat. I ended up finding a packet of Ramen in the cupboard. After I finished eating I sat around for a little while until I decided to go out and sight see a little. I heard the beaches were really nice and I've just moved here so I haven't seen anything. I locked up the house and went out to my car before I shrugged it off and decided to get a bike instead. I realized I needed to trash the phone so I threw into one of the rivers I passed when I rode down to the beach. When I got there I had a few looks and I shrugged it off. I didn't care, I just wanted to see the beach and if that was in jeans and a sweatshirt. I was just walking around when I saw a small girl all alone. She was sitting the sand and kind of looked like she was crying. I looked around and no one seemed to really care. I shrugged it off and figured she must have someone looking out for her. I continued walking around the beach, it was really quite beautiful. The ocean was light blue and the sands were like an off white color which went really well with the water. I sat down on a cliff side and enjoyed the view.
   After a little while I decided to just walk home and left to go home. While I was walking home I walked past the little girl again and this time she walked up to me. I stopped and looked down to her. She held our her hand and it had few dollars in it. "Uh, I'm not selling anything." She had a soft voice when she said "I heard my aunt saying you killed someone for her." I looked around and asked the girl "I'm sorry, what are you asking me to do?" The girl told me "My aunt and uncle aren't nice to me." She showed me her arm and it was covered with bruises. One looked like someone's entire hand. I asked her "Do they hit you?" She nodded her head. I looked down at her hand and took the money. She looked at me and asked "You'll do it?" I nodded my head. I asked "Do you have pockets?" She nodded her head and showed me. I placed the money into her pocket and told her "You'll need a place to stay afterwards." She gave me a questioning look. I asked "Where's your aunt and uncle?" She told me "They're at home." I nodded my head "Come, I'll keep you at my house until it's over." The girl gave me a smile "Okay."
   When I got home I showed the girl around and said "I never caught your name." "It's Carly." She replied. "I'm Jack." I told her. I told Carly about what I do usually and showed her around the apartment. She asked me "Where did you want me to sleep?" I told her "You can sleep in my bed and I'll take the couch." She told me "You don't have to give me your bed." I shook my head "No, it's cool. You get the bed and I'll take the couch." Carly nodded her head "Okay, what's the plan for dinner?" I shrugged "Want to order a pizza?" Carly got so excited "That sounds awesome!" I laughed "Never got pizza before?" She shook her head "No... I don't get much at home." I sighed "Well, how many people do you want?" Carly looked at me "What do you mean?" I pulled out my phone and asked again "How many pizza's do you want?" She laughed "Two would be great!" I nodded my head and called the pizza place "Hi, I'd like two cheese pizza's." Carly smiled and was extremely giddy the entire time I made the call.
   When the pizzas got here I set the boxes onto the counter and pulled down some plates. I set the plates on the counter before opening the box and having Carly pick out her slice. She sat at the counter and began eating when I asked "Do you want to come to the living room? We can watch something." She looked over to me and replied "We're not allowed to eat in the living room." I looked over and questioned her "We? You have siblings?" She nodded her head "Mark and Austin." I sighed "Okay, well you're not in that stinking place so you can eat in the living room if you want." She nodded her head and picked up her plate while walking over to the couch. I asked her "What do you watch?" She shrugged "Usually whatever is on the TV, we're not allowed to the touch the remote." I sighed "How old are you?" Carly answered me "I'm ten." I nodded my head "Okay, ever heard of a show called Family Guy?" She nodded her head. I asked "Want to watch that?" She nodded her head and I flicked it on before the both of us ate and watched the show play.
   After a little while Carly was getting obviously drowsy and I told her "Want to go to bed?" She nodded her head as she stood up to begin walking. I asked her "Want a glass of water for bed?" She nodded her head and followed me into the kitchen. I got her a glass of water and walked her to the bed room. "Okay, so the bed is there and the bathroom is in that door to the right. I'll get your stuff from your house tonight. If you wake up and I'm not here don't freak out, I'm just working. Is there anything specific you want from home?" She nodded her head "In one of the bed rooms there is a stuffed animal bunny. He's pink and has a green bow around his neck." I nodded my head "Okay, you get some sleep and I'll be back before three." She gave me a slight smile as she crawled into the bed. "Thank you, Jack." I nodded "No problem, Carly."
   When I closed that door I sighed, she was so much of what I wanted. If only Ally had stayed, we'd have a little girl like her. I sat on the couch and thought some more. I had so many regrets, I wanted Ally back of course but I'm human I wanted a family with her. I know my line of work is nothing for kids to be around but I would've stopped. I just wanted a family. I felt myself tearing up. I heard Carly's voice "Jack..?" I looked up and wiped the tears away. "Oh, Carly. Everything okay?" She replied "Yeah, I just wanted to give you your glass back.." She handed it to me. "Oh, okay." She looked at me with her soft eyes and asked "Why were you crying? Is it me?" I shook my head "Of course not. It's a part of who I am that can't be anymore." She gave me a questioning look. I sighed "I used to be in love with a beautiful girl name Alison. When I told Alison what I do for work she... she didn't approve." Carly had such a caring look on her face "Oh, well.. you just have to find someone who does." I snickered "I don't think anyone would." Carly told me "Everyone had someone. Maybe not someone who you can love that way but everyone has someone who looks out for them and cares so much." I smiled and laughed a little "You might be one of the smartest kids I know." She gave me a wide smile "Thanks." I sighed before standing up "Alright, someone needs to run off to bed." Carly smiled "Okay. Goodnight, Jack." "Goodnight, Carly."
   I was ready to do this. This girl was kind, who would ever dare to hurt her. These people were cruel and probably one the most deserving clients I've ever had. I wasn't doing it as complex as I had last night, this time it was clean and quick. I put the silencer on and placed the gun in my jacket's inside pocket. I scanned the building for a way to get in and decided the back door would be the best. I picked the lock and walked in quietly. I looked around and I was instantly disgusted by the house. It was a mess, the floors looked as they had never been mopped, the dishes were stacked up in the sink, the trash was overflowing and there was trash everywhere else. I was glad I had gotten Carly out of here. I walked around and eventually found the room where the adults slept, I can't even dare to call them parents. I pulled out the guy and looked around for a blanket. I found one and placed it over the man's sleeping face before firing. It was near silent but no one woke up. I took the man's pillow and did the same with the lady. I looked at the two of them and realized I had shot the lady in the face while the man was shot in the head and realized this could work as a suicide so that's what I went with. I left the gun and didn't worry about fingerprints, I always wear gloves. I looked around and found Carly's room. I grabbed clothes and hygiene products. I remembered the bunny and grabbed it. I realized the silencer might be a give away so I went back and took the silencer off the gun.
   I got to my car and threw the bag into the back seat before calling 911 from a burner phone. "Hi, yes, I'd like to report a gunshot at 931 oak street." The operator got all the information they needed and I hung up. I threw the phone out and ran it over. I drove away with everything Carly needed in my back seat.
   I got home at about midnight. All the lights were off and I didn't see any sign of Carly being awake so I just placed the bag of Carly's things near the front door and went to the couch. I laid on it and quickly fell asleep. I woke up the next morning looking around for Carly and when I checked my room she was lying in bed still fast asleep. I quietly closed the door and went to the kitchen to make breakfast for Carly; the way that apartment was I assume she has never had a good breakfast.
  I heard my door open about half an hour later and saw Carly peer around the corner before asking "Am I allowed out?" I nodded my head "Of course, come in. I made some pancakes, eggs and bacon. You aren't allergic to anything, right?" She nodded her head as she sat at the bar and I gave her the plate. She smiled a weak one "Thank you, for everything." I nodded my head and served myself. After a few silent moments she asked "Are my brothers okay?" I nodded my head "Yes, I made sure that they would get a nice home. I have a plan to get all three of you though." Carly looked at me with a questioning look before asking "What do you mean?" I explained "Well, since your 'parents' are no longer with us they've been placed into the foster care system until they are adopted and I'm going to register. It will take a few more weeks, I registered a week ago actually because I want a kid but once then I'll make sure that your brothers new foster home looks unfit so that they'll be assigned to me. I'll have to give them you as well and then I promise I'll get you back." She ate a little more before asking "You're sure this will work?" I nodded my head "Yes." She nodded her head "Okay, so a few weeks? Like two?" I nodded my head "Yeah, that should be enough." She nodded her head "Okay." We finished eating and I asked "Are you enrolled in any school?" She shook her head "No, my parents used to home school us." I nodded my head.
   After a few weeks it was time. I was officially a foster parent. They hadn't assigned me any kids yet because I had said I'd wanted a few days to be sure I was ready. I went to find Carly in my room. "Hey, ready to go?" She nodded her head "Yeah, how long will I have to be with them?" I shrugged "Not long, we'll just say that I found you hiding in the backyard." She nodded her head. We left my apartment and drove over to Carly's brothers' foster home. Carly got out of the car and ran to the forest. I waited a few minutes and then got out walking up to a police officer. They had blocked off the house meaning some sort of investigation. I hadn't even done anything, these people just weren't able to foster them well enough. The officer instant told me "Back up please, sir." I told him "I was supposed to come pick up my new foster kids from this address." I pulled out my wallet showed him my ID. He checked it and told me "Wait one moment." I agreed and waited. After about ten minutes he came back to me "Alright, I called the agency and they confirmed it." 'How?! Oh god, this worked so well.' I thought to myself. He continued with "Just wait a few moments, the kids are being checked for any wounds and then you go in." I nodded my head and waited. After a few minutes another, taller more thin, officer walked over and whispered something to the shorter officer. He said to me afterwards "The kids have no wounds and you come in now." He lifted the police tape and let me in.
   I walked over to an ambulance that had two boys sitting on it. One was noticeably older than the other, looking to be about thirteen or fourteen. The younger of the two looked about nine or ten. The officer spoke to the boys "Hi there, this young man wanted to talk to you two about something." They nodded. The officer left and I spoke to them "Hello. my name is Jack. Nice to meet you." I reached my hand out to them and the older boy shook my hand. "Nice to meet you too." I gave a small smile before asking "You two have a sister right?" The little one lit up "Yes! Have you seen her, we're so worried!" I hushed him a little "Yes, I have. She's in the back of the house, I've been taking care of her for the past two weeks. She is safe. I'm going to get her while you two wait." The older of the two questioned me "Wait, two weeks? That's how long we've been here. How did you get Carly? Why? Why didn't you take us too?" I explained it "I was on the beach when Carly came up to me asking if I could rescue her from your abusive parents and I agreed she couldn't go back to the house afterwards so she stayed with me and I wasn't able to get you guys away without raising any questions." The boys looked at me and nodded their heads "So you'll keep us all safe afterwards?" The younger one asked. I agreed "Yes." They agreed to go along with my plan and I left. I walked back over to the officer and asked "May I go grab their things from the house?" He shook his head "Oh, no need. All their things are over there." He pointed to a pile of a few plastic bags. The younger boy heard me and shouted "Wait! My teddy bear is in the backyard, I can't sleep without him!" The officer sighed "Alright kid, go in quickly." I nodded my head and quickly walked to the backyard. I found Carly quickly hiding behind a bush. She smiled "Jack, did everything work out?" I nodded my head and she came out of the bush and hugged me. "Okay, come on. We have to get you registered then this day will be over." She nodded her head.
   I walked back to the officer holding Carly in my arms. "Officer! I found her hiding a bush." He turned around and few paramedics and other officers came over. A paramedic took Carly from my arms and brought her to a ambulance. The officer asked me "Can we get a statement?" I nodded my head and after a few minutes it was over. I hadn't noticed but the two boys had ran over to Carly and were waiting with her. One of the paramedics tried to push them away and I heard the older one say "That's our sister!" I pushed by the cop over to the boys and asked "What's going on here?" The paramedic told me "Sir, please back up. These kids need to leave." I told the guy "No, they say this is their sister and these are my fosters sons. We'll give you space but they deserve to be with their sister." The paramedic gave me a glare and said "Unless she is also your foster daughter you have to leave." Carly looked over to me with worried eyes like I was letting her down, small tears formed in my eyes and I walked away to find the officer I had talked to earlier. I found him and told him "Officer, what's the number for the agency you called earlier to be sure I was telling the truth?" He shook his head "I can't give that out. Why?" I told him "I need to foster that girl, it's my sons sister and I don't want them split up." The officer sighed "I really can't do this." He went to the cop car again and this time returned on the phone "Yes, I have a foster parent how would like to speak to you." The officer handed me the phone and I spoke "Hello? Yes I'd like to foster a little girl, goes by Carly. Her brothers are my foster sons and I don't want them split up."
   After about an hour of agreeing to fill out paper work in about an hour I was able to foster Carly. "Yes! Oh god, thank you. Goodbye." I handed the phone back to the cop. "Thank you so much officer." He nodded his head and I ran back to the ambulance where Carly and her brothers were talking. The paramedic came over again and said again "Sir, please, back up." I shook my head "I'm their foster dad." The paramedic left and Carly asked "Really?" I nodded my head and she smiled the widest smile I had ever seen from her. She hugged me and sighed "I'm so glad this all worked." I nodded in agreement. The older of the two kids said to me "Thank you. I also believe that I never said my name, I'm Mark. This is Austin." He wrapped his arm around the younger kid. I nodded "Alright well, come on. I think it's about time we go home." The kids agreed and we finished everything we needed to before getting back to my apartment.
   When we got there Austin asked "Isn't it a little small for all of us?" I nodded my head "Yeah, we're moving next week to a bigger place." Austin nodded his head "Okay, is it a house or an apartment?" I told him "It's a pretty big apartment, it's also pretty close to a good school." The few weeks passed and I continued my work, I later told them and they all took an interest in it. After a few years I had earned enough money to buy a dojo. I enrolled all the kids and taught them everything they needed to know to protect themselves. Years later I'm a proud father of three great martial artist and trained killers. Also the kindest and most well mannered young adults you will ever meet. The years to follow are unknown but hold the great gifts of the future.

© 2017 J.M. Morgan


Author's Note

J.M. Morgan
Hope you enjoy! Feel free to correct anything wrong.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on September 15, 2017
Last Updated on October 2, 2017

Author

J.M. Morgan
J.M. Morgan

About
Hi, I'm rather new to posting online and honestly only want honest feed back solely to improve apon my writing skills. Thank you. Have a swell day! more..

Writing
The Box The Box

A Story by J.M. Morgan