The Box

The Box

A Story by J.M. Morgan
"

His wife is thought dead but there is a deeper more romantic reality.

"

Sam

   "Thank you for coming." I nodded as people filled the room and took their seats waiting for the funeral to start. I stood at the door until it started. As soon as it started I took my seat near the front and awaited the pastor to start momentarily. After a few moments of the pastor saying his normal things he announced to everyone "The husband of Elaine would like to say a few words." I stood up and walked to the front and once I got to the stand I looked over everyone and saw everyone Elaine and I had known. Both of our parents, our families, and all of our friends. All dressed in black and awaiting my speech. I cleared my throat "Thank you all for attending today. Elaine would have loved to see all of you. Elaine loved life so much, she took every moment of life as a gift. She..-" I stopped, the tears made it hard to talk and after a few moments of choking on my words I walked away from the stand and sat back down. Everyone understood and the ceremony continued as normal. After the ceremony we left and I couldn't even drive myself over to her burial so I sat in my car crying for a few moments before getting a call. I pulled out my phone and wiped my eyes before checking to see who called. I noticed it was some random number so I picked up carefully and said "Hello?" I heard a voice answer "Hey Sam." I perked up in my seat recognizing the voice, it was Elaine's. I spoke over the phone "Elaine? How the h-" "Don't say anything. Listen to me, there's a box under the clothes in our back closet and I need you to get it. I'll tell you more when you get the box." Elaine said to me and I nearly fell out of my seat. "Elaine, what's going on?" She told me "Not now, I have to go" The phone cut out and I looked down at my phone. I shoved my phone it my pocket and quickly drove over to the house.

   When I got to the house I jumped out of the car and locked it before running into the house to check the closet. I mean the house already was a mess but throwing everything from the closet out into the rest of room made it look even more destroyed. After a little while I found the box it had  lock on it so I turned it over and found a little inscription that read "If you've found this my death was staged. Bring the box to our anniversary spot." I thought for a moment before coming to the thought that it was at the place we started dating and held our first anniversary. I got back into my car and drove over to the college. Elaine and I both attended Yale, she was a photography major while I worked towards my teaching degree. We had one of our more elective classes together and I was being stupid and humming some random song and she had heard me. I got embarrassed and quickly apologized. This struck a bit of a conversation though it wasn't until our third year when we had our art class together that we really started talking. She was so pretty, she still is. God, I love her.

   Without even really realizing it I had arrived at the college parking lot.I parked and got out of the car before walking to the music room, the elective we had met in. I looked around in the dark being too afraid to turn on the lights and get caught for trespassing. After a few moments of my eyes adjusting and then looking I was about to turn to the door when I heard it slam shut. I had assumed it was just the wind but I stilled jumped a little and got that creepy feeling up my spine. I tried to open the door and realized it was locked, once I did I heard her speak "Sam." I turned around to see darkness being broken by Elaine standing with a flash light. I smiled and sighed out of relief. I ran and hugged her "Oh my god, Elaine. Are you okay?" She nodded her head "Yeah, I'm so glad you made it." I smiled "Of course, I'm so glad you're here. “She gave a faint smile before it fading into words "We have to get out of here, Sam." I nodded "Okay, my car is in the front." She shook her head "I can't I might be seen, it was a risk even coming out here." I was so confused and asked "What do you mean?" Elaine sighed "I can't talk about it right now. Just try and get your car as close the school as possible, it would be best if you could also do it in shadows." She kissed me and quickly vanished into the darkness of the room. I didn't try and look for her, I left the room and quietly walked back to my car. Carefully starting it up and looking for the best spot to meet Elaine. After a few moments I found it, close and dark. I called the number and it was quickly answered "Where?" I explained it and within moments Elaine and I were driving away leaving the campus in the dust.

   After a few minutes of silent driving I asked "What's going on now?" She sighed and began "Okay, before we had actually gotten together I went out with this girl. She wasn't good news, she was the right hand man to this drug dealer with tons of gun power. When we broke up I had nearly escaped with my life but a few weeks ago they went down, one of the guys got caught and wore a wire to incriminate the rest of the crew. She had actually taken the old guys spot and became leader so she assumed I gave them up. I've been running from them for about a week and yesterday I faked my death but it's still not safe." I was so shocked. I didn't know what to say but for some reason I just felt my mouth open and words come out asking "Are you gay?" I instantly regretted and tried to apologize but she stopped me "No, I'm bi." I nodded "Okay. I'm sorry that was inappropriate." She shrugged and we sat in silence again. I broke it "So what are we going to do? Stay on the run?" She shrugged "I don't know. We could either rat out the real rat or figure out some way to get them off me." I thought for a moment. "What if we got all of them arrested? I mean you said one of them wore a wire, right?" She nodded her head. I continued "What if you wore a wire too? Like got the other girl arrested." She looked at me and asked "How? She would never let me close again." I thought and replied "A disguise." She sighed "Okay, but what would I do? How would I get close to her?" I thought and got an idea but I thought for a moment before saying "Seduce her..?" Elaine looked at me quickly like I was insane "What?! Are you telling me to sleep with someone else?" I nodded my head before firmly saying "If it saves your life, yeah, of course." Elaine sighed "You're insane." I shrugged "But it might be our best chance." Elaine nodded her head "Okay, let's do it."

    After a little longer Elaine and I arrived home and began planning all the details of what she was to do and how. We came up with our plan got her disguise on and our plan was set.

Elaine

   "Sam you're insane." I told him I finished dying my hair into a bright blonde. He shrugged "Yeah, but if this saves you it worth it." I sighed "Okay, I have to go then." He kissed me goodbye and I got into the rental car we had gotten just an hour before.  I began driving and of course since there isn’t much to do when you’re driving but think I began to think about how insane this plan was. I mean, Carol hates me and I don’t even feel that way about her anymore. I shook the thoughts away and thought about how much less stress there is going be afterwards. After a little longer of driving I finally arrived at the motel where Carol does most of her business. I parked the car close enough to where if I have to run I’ll make it but if I need it to stay hidden I’m also good.

   I walked up to the main lobby and asked which room number Carol was in and he told me, motels have no respect for their clients. I went to her room and knocked on the door. She opened it and she had changed so much in the few years we’ve been apart. She wore tighter clothes and had shorter hair not even going to her shoulders but it popped out with its blue color. She looked at me and asked “What do you need?” I snapped out of my trance of admiring her appearance “Oh, I was just looking for some weed.” She looked me up and down while giving me a questioning look. “Alright. Come in, got a name Blondie?” I nodded “Yeah, I’m Ellie.” She nodded and closed the door as I walked in. Her room was surprisingly clean and there was no sign that she was hiding anything. I commented “You have such a clean room for being a drug dealer.” She shrugged “I’d like to not get caught so I have to play casual.” She walked past me into the bathroom and returned with a box. Once she opened it I could see all the small bags of weed filling it. She picked one up and handed it to me “About twenty.” I nodded and pulled out the cash. Carol laughed “My ex had a wallet just like that.” I looked down at it and noticed it was the same one I had a few years ago. I got scared “Oh, well she must have had good taste.” Carol nodded “Yeah. She did…” I asked “Are you okay?” She nodded her head “Yeah, not important to you.” I shrugged and sat on the bed “I have a few hours.” Carol looked over to me “Okay, well I mean, if you’re up for it I could kind of just use some general time to rant.” I patted the seat next to me and she sat. I thought to myself how well this was going when I heard “…I’m just not over Elaine I guess.” I looked over “Really, hasn’t it been years since you guys broke up?” She nodded “Yeah, we worked this business together. I’m mad at her now but I love her so I could never really stay mad. I think she got some of my guys arrested. I think a few of them are hunting her. Oh god, I have to make a call.” She stood quickly “Thank you, I don’t know why I confided so much in a stranger.” I stood “Well if I have your number I’m not really a stranger.” I handed her my phone. She smiled and took it to type her number. She handed it back and as I was leaving she grabbed my forearm. I looked back with a questioning look before she kissed me. As she pulled away she whispered “I think you’re helping me get over her already…” The door shut and I was stuck looking at it in a daze of confusion.

   I just walked back to my car and sat in it for a moment before getting out and going back to the front desk. “Hi, could I get a room?” The man behind the counter nodded his head and handed me a key. I looked at it and noticed it wasn’t close to Carol’s.  I asked “Could I get one closer to room thirteen?” The guy sighed and handed me another room this one being for room ten. I took the key and went to the room. I noticed Carol in the hallway, she was carrying a bag of ice with her. I tried to ignore her but she noticed me “Hey, staying a while?” I looked over to her “Oh, well I’m not really doing anything right now so I figured why not just stay a while?” Carol smiled “Okay, well if you need any ice I’ll have some in my room.” I blushed a little and nodded. She left and I shakenly unlocked my door and walked in. I laid on my bed and fell asleep quickly not realizing how tired I was.

   I woke up the next morning to my phone buzzing. I picked it up off the nightstand and noticed it was Sam. “Hey honey. What’s up?” He responded “Nothing much, how’s everything going?” I shrugged “Everything is fine, I’ve just been waiting. I had to but some drugs from her though. I think she likes me though.” Sam beamed “Oh that’s great. How much longer do you think it’s going to be?” I shrugged again “I don’t know. I just started talking to her it’s not like she’s going to fall in love me again in one conversation.” He seemed to understand that it took sometime but he didn’t exactly sound like it “Oh, yeah of course. Look, just come home tonight. I want to see you. I love you.” “I love you too.” I hung up afterwards and wasn’t even sure if I wanted to go back. I decided to take the day to think about if I wanted to stay or not. I shook my head and got dressed for the day. I left the room and got on my phone looking for a good restaurant to eat breakfast at. While I was scrolling through the list I heard a door open and close but didn’t pay much mind to it. I continued to look but before I could find one I heard someone say my name, well the fake one. “Hey, Ellie.” I looked up and saw Carol smiling. I turned off my phone, I had already kind of picked a place. “Hey Carol.” I waved and she walked up. I felt a bit of tension between us. She smiled “What are you up today? Going to try some of that stuff?” I got confused for a moment and then realized she was talking about the weed. “Oh, yeah. I was going to save that for tonight.” She nodded her head “Okay. What are your plans for this morning?” I shrugged “I was going to grab some breakfast.” Carol nodded “Oh, cool. There’s this small diner around the corner if you’d want to join me.” I shrugged “Sure. Are we just walking?” She nodded and we began walking. We were walking in silence until Carol said “Let’s take that way, through the woods.” We walked in a silence again until I asked “So, how’d you get into drugs?” She laughed a little “Well, I needed some money and my friend recommended that I should get in contact with his friend who sold drugs. I did and kind of just raised in the ranks and now I’m just controlling it all.” I nodded. Carol asked “How did you get into buying the drugs?” I shrugged “I had been stressing about some work stuff and my friend said that you could get me some stuff to relax.” She nodded her head “There’s another way you could relax.” I asked “How?” She shrugged “I don’t know. It’s kind of flirty and I don’t think I should.” I asked “What do you mean? How?” She sighed “You could sleep with someone, or I mean I don’t know…” I laughed “That is pretty flirty.” Carol kind of hid her face. I looked over “Are you blushing?” She shook her head “What? No.” I laughed “Yeah you are!” While I was trying to see her face I tripped over a few sticks and as I tried to catch myself I grabbed onto Carol pulling her down with me. Carol was holding herself above me, blushing, while I was laying on the ground with her face inches from mine. “I’m so sorry.” I said as she just kind of stared at me. She just continued looking at me until she eventually moved her eyes. “Oh god. I’m sorry, I’ll move.” She began to pull herself away when I grabbed her by her neck and pulled her closer to my lips. We kissed and after she laughed “I wanted to that the whole time were walking.” I smiled and she kissed me again. I asked afterward “Are we going to breakfast?” She shrugged “Do you want to?” I nodded “I actually was kind of hungry.” She laughed “Okay, come on.” She got off me and gave me her hand to help me up. I took her hand and we continued our walk to the diner.

 

Carol

   “So how’s your food?” I asked Ellie. She smiled at me “It’s great. This place is so good, how did you find this place?” I shrugged “I was just walking around really and I found it. Kind of just stuck with me.” Ellie nodded “Well I’m glad it did, this place is good.” I sat up and asked “I have a quick question.” Ellie finished her bite “Yeah?” I sighed “I was just kind of wondering what we are or what we’re doing.” I almost one hundred percent regretted it. Ellie shrugged “I mean I don’t know either.” I sighed “Is it because of the whole drug thing?” Ellie shrugged “I wouldn’t want to get arrested if we were doing something.” I nodded “Of course. I’ve actually been thinking of stopping it. Just dropping out.” Ellie moved forward “What do you mean?” I explained “Well, I’ve been thinking about not selling anymore. I mean that I don’t want to be a criminal anymore.” Ellie took a moment to react but when she did she just sighed “Are you over Elaine?” I got confused by the question and shrugged “I don’t know. I don’t really think so.” She nodded “Okay, I’m not Ellie. I’m Elaine and my husband and I were trying to get close to you so I could wear a wire and get you guys off the street. Your guys have been trying to kill me for the past two days and that’s why we did this. So I can have my life.” I shook my head “What? Seriously?” Elaine nodded her head “Yeah, we were just trying to keep me safe. Well I mean my husband still is but I’ve kind of lost track of the whole thing.” This whole thing confused me and I asked “How did you get off track?” Elaine shrugged and blushed a little “I… I uh, I fell in love with you again.” I was shocked and stood up “This… this is a lot. I’m going to walk over my room. I’ll call you later.” Elaine nodded “I’m sorry.” I just kind of walked away. I didn’t know what do, I mean I haven’t seen her in years and now she’s back saying she loves me while also saying she was trying to bust me and send me to jail. I hadn’t told them to go after her.

   I got back to the room and unlocked the door before falling onto my bed. I still was kind of in love with her but she said ‘my husband’ how am I supposed to be okay with her loving me and me loving her. I heard a knock at my door and sat up on the bed before opening the door. I saw Elaine standing the door way. “Hi, I’m so sorry about everything I said at the diner. I mean it was all true but it was so much at once and I lied about who I was so I just wanted to say how sorry I am.” I didn’t say anything and she looked at me with a very apologetic look. “I’m so sorry.” I didn’t know what to do, I didn’t want to say it was okay because I’ve only had about fifteen minutes to think about it all. She was still looking at me and with my silence I think she assumed that I didn’t want to talk “I’ll just go, I’m sorry.” As she turned I wanted to stop her so I grabbed her arm which caused her to turn around and I pulled her in closer. She was looking at me again but more with a look of admiration rather than an apologetic look. I wasn’t even sure what I wanted to do. I looked at her and asked “What does your husband think about all of this?” She shrugged “He doesn’t know.” I nodded “Okay. Well pick first.” I let go and she backed away a little. She asked “You want me to pick between you and my husband?” I nodded “I’m going back to room. I have to call and quit.” I walked back into my room and closed the door. I placed my back to the door and slid down it before sitting down and pulling out my phone. I called and told one the guys lower than me and told them to take over my spot.

   I heard a knock at the door that woke me up realizing that I had fallen asleep from sheer stress on the door. I stood up from the door and opened it. I found Elaine at the door she looked as though she had been crying for a few minutes. I asked “Are you okay? What happened?” She told me in a nearly crying tone “I told Sam about how we kissed and how you told me to pick.” I sighed “I’m so sorry.” Elaine stood in the door looking as though she was about to collapse. I hugged her and I was basically holding her up when she began crying. I asked “Did he ask for a divorce?” She shrugged “I don’t… k-know.” I asked “Do you want me to bring you in?” She nodded her head “Yes…-please.” I brought her into the room and laid her onto the bed. She laid there sobbing for a moment and asked “Do you think he will ask for a divorce?” I shook my head and sat at the end of the bed “He won’t. He did tell you to get close to me and that’s the way you did.” She sat up “But what about the choice?” I shrugged “That’s your decision. If you love him more than you love me than you’ll stay with him. You probably do, just tell him your choice. Besides, I called my guys and told them that I quit and to call off the kill.” She sat up “Really?” I nodded. She asked me “Why?” I sighed “Well you and your husband should stay together. I mean you loved him enough to marry him and if something that I did caused you guys to even get to the point where you guys might split then I’ll stop it.” Elaine asked me “Why are helping me? I’m basically telling you that I’m not going to date you.” I shrugged “I’m not going to just ignore you when you’re upset. Why don’t I go get you some water? I’ll be right back.” She nodded her head and I left the room going down to the lobby where there were vending machines.

  I bought a bottle of water and walked back to the room finding Elaine still laying on the bed with her head in her hands. “Hey, I got the water.” I lifted the bottle and gave it to her. She sat up and grabbed the bottle. She began drinking when I sat on the end of the bed. “Look, I don’t want you and your husband to split up so why don’t I call him? I’ll clear everything up and since you won’t have anything hanging over your head.” Elaine finished her sip and replied “You don’t have to do that. If he leaves me then it is okay, you’ll still be there for me, right?” I nodded “If you need me to be I will. Just let me call him and try to work this out.” She sighed and gave me her phone and I called the guy from it.

 

Sam

   My phone buzzed while in my pocket in the store. I didn’t check who called when I said “Hello?” I said over the phone and heard a woman’s voice come over “Hi, I’m Carol and I just wanted to clear up some stuff.” I sighed. I didn’t want to listen to her, she kissed my wife and is making her fall for her but she wants to ‘clear up some stuff’. “What is it? If you’re just going to talk about how you’re making my wife fall for you and how you’re making out with her.” I heard the lady’s voice peak “No, no! I’m not. Look, you’re the one asked her to seduce me and that’s what she did. I won’t make her do anything, she’s crying my room right now about how you’re going to leave her so if you could just call her and apologize about doing this. She loves you so much.” I shook my head “What are you talking about?” “She’s weeping because she thinks you’re about to leave her.” She nearly exclaimed. I sighed “No, I’m not.” The girl clearly sighed “Okay, look I’ll give the phone to her you better tell her that.” I agreed. Elaine’s voice came over the phone a little whinier like she had been crying “Yes?” I replied “Hey Elaine.” Her voice perked up a little more “Oh, Sam.” “Elaine I’m not going to ask for a divorce unless you want one.” I told her. I had walked out the store and actually just left my cart for the remainder of the conversation. “Are you sure, Sam?” She asked me. “Of course, Elaine. I love you.” She seemed so relieved and sighed “Oh thank god, I love you too.” Elaine and I talked a little more about everything and it all seemed to work out. “I’ll see you tonight.” I smiled as the conversation came to an end. “Okay, I love you. Bye.” Elaine said. “I love you too, bye.” I finished and I hung up.

  I left the store and just went home, I still had personal leave because everyone thought that Elaine had still died. After about an hour of just lounging around and reading while watching TV. After that I heard a knock at the door, I stood up and answered it wondering who it could be. Once I opened it there was a woman standing at the door. “Hi, may I ask who you are?” She nodded “Yeah, I’m Carol.” I sighed a little not wanting to deal with her and Elaine and I had just worked everything out. “How can I help you?” She replied quickly “No, I was just worried that you wouldn’t have Elaine home so I just wanted to say that I stopped everyone the whole thing with the people chasing Elaine. I stopped it and its okay for her to come home.” I nodded “Well thank you.” She nodded and was about to leave when I stopped her “Wait, what would have happened if Elaine had have said anything to me?” She turned around and shrugged “I don’t know. I didn’t even know that Elaine was who she was until she told me. Look, the first time we kissed I didn’t even know that she Elaine. When I found out nothing happened after it, I stopped everything and left her alone until she came to me crying thinking that you were going divorce her.” I sighed “Well, thank you for being respectful. Well after you found out.” She nodded “Yeah. Look I’ve got to go, Elaine thinks I’m out getting lunch and would kill me if she found out I was saying all of this.” It was so weird, it seriously sounded like they were married. Was I making a mistake by not letting Elaine be with her? “Hey, Carol?” She turned around again “Yeah?” I sighed “Do you think I’m trapping Elaine?” She raised an eyebrow “What do you mean?” I shrugged “I mean should I let you guys date. You’re going through all that trouble for us to stay together and that must mean you really like her.” Carol sighed “Look, it doesn’t matter. You guys go together well and I’m not stopping that. I have to go really.” She left and I closed the door. I sat back down on the couch. I’m not sure if I should stay with Elaine, I mean Carol cares for her and really looks out for her. I don’t know what to do.

   Hours later and I had another knock at the door though this time it was Elaine. I opened the door and saw Elaine standing there but only for quick a second because she was quickly attached to my side. “Hi to you too.” I joked. She laughed “Hi.” She backed up and asked “What do you want to do?” I shrugged “A movie and dinner?” She nodded “Okay.” She came in and we sat on the couch turning on the TV to watch something. After looking through Netflix for a little while we picked a movie and watched it. After the movie it was about seven and I went to the kitchen to start something easy. Elaine sat down at the table and waited while we talked about everything. I had ended up just making some simple pasta and while we ate I asked “Why did you think I was going to divorce you?” It was random and I felt bad but I wanted to know. She cleared her throat “I… uh well thought that because after I called you it seemed like you felt betrayed. I thought that since Elaine and I kissed that you wouldn’t want to be with me.” I nodded “Well, I do but it seems like you don’t. I mean Carol takes such good care of you and she cares so much that she’s pushing her feelings behind and helping us stay together.” Elaine was confused “What do you mean?” I sat up a little more “Well, she seemed like she wasn’t supposed to but she came here around noon saying how she wasn’t going to do anything with you and how she respected us. She said she wasn’t supposed to be here and that you thought she was going to get lunch for you two and how you’d kill her if you found out that she was here.” Elaine sat up “Well, I’m not sure how I feel about her. I know that I love you but when I’m with her and she kisses me it’s just great.” I nodded “Are you sure that don’t want to be with her?” She got embarrassed and replied softly “I… I don’t think so.” I asked “How about I kiss you and if it feels the same as when Carol kisses you then we can stay together but if it doesn’t that probably means that you are over me and just want her.” Elaine got nervous “Oh, come on Sam.” I shook my head “No, this will work. I don’t want you to feel like you have to stay with me.” I moved over the table and kissed her. I didn’t feel anything anymore, I think that I’ve already kind of moved on. When I pulled away and sat back down I asked “What did you feel?” She sat down and answered “…Nothing.” I nodded “Me too.”

   The few moments following were awkward and after a few moments I cleared my throat “Uh, well maybe you should go back? I’ll get the papers.” She nodded her head and stood “Thanks for dinner.” I nodded and she left in the silence with just the door shutting. I moved over to the couch and laid there thinking how I haven’t gone anywhere. I mean now it’s kind of like Elaine did die. At least she died from my life, I’ll miss her.

 

Elaine

   I got into the car outside of Sam’s house and just laid my head on the steering wheel. My marriage just ended and I’m not sure what do. I don’t have a home anymore since Sam and I lived together and now I’m pretty much alone because Carol may not even want to be with me as seriously as I do and she’s living in a motel at least my knowledge. I sat up and sighed before driving back to the motel and going to my room.

   When I got there I just unlocked the door and laid on the bed thinking about everything, I actually wasn’t sure if I wanted to go see Carol or not. I mean she did push all of her feelings off so that Sam and I could stay together and now she may not even want be with me. I sighed and rolled over in bed again. I really did love Sam but I think that it kind of just faded. I gave up and tossed and turned I fell asleep which took about an hour. I woke up randomly in the middle of the night but I’m not really sure what to but I just got out of bed and looked for some water. I wasn’t sure where she had got it from, I mean I could ask but I didn’t want to disturb her it was… it’s like three a.m. I shrugged it off and decided to just go look for it.

   I walked around and looked for a vending machine or a shop. While I was walking around I went to the lobby and found the vending machine. I bought the water and went back to my room but when I was walking back to my room I saw Carol outside on her phone, kind of like the first night. I wanted to walk up to her and just kiss her but I couldn’t. I stopped for a moment and then continued my walk over to the room but when I went to pull out my key and unlock the door I dropped it Carol noticed. She looked up from her phone and walked over to help. She picked up the key and handed it me. I nodded “Thank you.” She nodded “Look, I’m sorry about everything. Are you and Sam okay?” I shook my head “No, we’re getting a divorce.” She looked at me with such a sorry look “Oh my god, I’m sorry. Are you okay?” I didn’t answer and kissed her. I couldn’t wait, I needed to do that I liked her so much and needed to. When we pulled away she asked me “What was that for? Aren’t you mad at me?” I shook my head “No, I’m not mad at anyone. I just needed to do that.” I unlocked the door and walked in locking it again when Carol told me “Wait-!” I sat down on the door in silence. I didn’t know if she was still there but I felt like I could feel her heat so asked “Are you still there?” I heard her voice “Yeah.” I sighed “What are we?” I heard her say “What do you want us to be?” “In love.” I shrugged. “I am.” She said softly. I turned around to the door and placed my hand on it “Really?” She seemed to get closer “Well, yeah. Could we maybe not talk about this through the door?” I stood up and opened it seeing Carol sitting on the ground near the door. She stood up “So…” I shrugged “I don’t know exactly this is all going to work.” Carol shrugged “I do love you and I mean if you want something then let’s do it.” I could feel my face getting kind of red when I said “Well I mean Sam and I just got divorced.” Carol nodded and moved closer “Of course. That’s fine, I don’t want you to do anything you aren’t comfortable with.” I sighed “Really? Because I don’t want you to wait for me to be ready. I mean I think the only thing I can really do is I guess have you there for me?” Carol nodded “Of course. I told you that I would always be there and I will.” I smiled “Thank you.” She nodded “Can I kiss you or is that too much?” I moved forward and kissed her. “Could you come in? I don’t want to be alone tonight.” Carol nodded her head and came into the room. She sat down on the bed as I closed the door and I just laid next to her before falling asleep with her hand in mine.

 

Carol

   The both of us woke up and my hand was still intertwined with Elaine’s. I didn’t move and just closed my eyes. She whispered to me “Are you up?” I nodded “Yeah, I wasn’t sure if you were so I just closed my eyes.” She pulled her hand out of mine and moved on off the bed. I perked up on my elbows “Where are you of to?” She shrugged “We can go off to the diner for breakfast. Kind of recreate out first date in years.” I smiled and moved out of bed “Alright let me go back to my room for some clothes.” I was walking out of the room Elaine took my hand in hers again and pulled me in for another kiss. When I backed away I told her “I really should get my clothes.” She nodded and I left to get some clothes and threw on my black shirt with bikes and some black jeans. When I got back I saw Elaine in a nice dress shirt and some ripped black skinny jeans. “Woah.” I couldn’t stop myself and she blushed a little “Thanks.” The both of us began walking over to the diner and Elaine asked “Do you want to take the path through the woods again?” I nodded “Sure, let’s go.” We took the back road and Elaine took my hand in hers again and we just walked. After a few minutes Elaine pointed out “Look it’s the spot where I fell.” I laughed “Yeah, it is. Do you want to fall again?” She laughed “Do I have to fall in order to kiss you again?” I shook my head “No, but you might need get a little closer.” She chuckled a little before moving in and kissed me. “You know it’s kind of funny how the only reason we’re together again is because a few of my guys were trying to hunt you down.” I added. Elaine nodded “It is kind of funny.” The both of us laughed as we continued our walk to the diner. Once we got to the diner we sat down at a new table and began eating while enjoying each other’s company. Elaine started talking about how things were and how she was going to come out of hiding but all I could really think about was how cute she was. She just rambled about it and went on about she was excited to go back. I followed along but I was just so caught up staring at her. After we finished eating we walked back to the motel and I saw Elaine check out of her room. “Hey, why are you checking out?” I asked and she shrugged “I thought maybe I could room with you until I get back on my feet and can get an apartment.” I smiled “Okay. That sounds good, you know you could just come live with me for a little while.” She looked at me confused “That’s what I said?” I laughed “I mean in my actual apartment. I don’t live in the motel.” She laughed and I checked out before gathering the both of our stuff and going home.

 

 

© 2017 J.M. Morgan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
Added on October 22, 2017
Last Updated on October 22, 2017

Author

J.M. Morgan
J.M. Morgan

About
Hi, I'm rather new to posting online and honestly only want honest feed back solely to improve apon my writing skills. Thank you. Have a swell day! more..

Writing