Part 2

Part 2

A Chapter by David K
"

“Death may be the greatest of all human blessings” -If Socrates was right? I would smile now.

"

We hit the ground softer then I'd imagined in those seconds of falling. I was unharmed and calm, it was as if some entity had picked me up and cradled me down to the hidden floor of this hidden planet. I sat in ruins for a while- a long while. The ship fell apart around me, decommissioning itself, and I just sat in silence, still deafened by the hum of the machine. In that sound I had lost the crow, it cried no longer for me. I found myself lonely and looking at gauges again watching the vital vials drop lower and lower into an inevitable end, for the ship and for me. I was going to die in this wreck- I was almost contempt with it. Goose had gone, disappeared- I suppose he'd not made it through, I didn't look over for fear I would be proved wrong. There was no sound though, no scream, no weep, he was dead.


   I looked out of the window once again, this time searching for anything... there was little, little dust, little cloud, little life in this atmosphere. I was on the edge of an oblivion. In my dying boredom time passed oddly, threes minutes became one hour. The bearable moments became unbearable times.


   So I began to sing to myself, muse and radiohead.


Wake.. from your sleep

-the drying of your t-tears


TODAY. we escape-we escape

...breathe, keep breathing...



   I felt myself shake as I sang what seemed to be the concluding lines of this book of mine, this life. One, two, three. Three times I shook but upon each one I regained something- some hope, belief. I began to believe that I could go further, further then this wreck. I believed in home, the home I'd left so far behind. So I picked myself up. The belts that entangled me, seemed to slip off by this will, and my feet.. felt light. I stumbled, so proud, away from the ship. I walked to that edge of oblivion and upon it I fell.

   

   “Home! Take me home” I cried.


   I felt my eyes well up, So I closed them tight and held it in best I could. With my hands at my side I muttered promises of home, swore that I would go there again, prayed that I would even. 'take me home, take me home' I whispered. I wheezed a long sigh and let go of the fists I had been clenching so tight. I dared not open my eyes for fear that nothing would have changed, in spite of my prayer. Instead for a while I listened, I listened to the planet an I heard its soul in the silence. I felt the ground beneath me, picked up the dust of it and felt it whither. It reminded me of home- the beach couple of miles south of the academy. I used to go there as a kid and now I took mine there, it was as if I was there now.. looking out at my girls dancing in those giant shirts of theirs. “James”- some ones calling me “James!” the girls are looking now, worried. I feel sick -and what's worse is I don't know why. I throw my shirt off and I ran t'ward the sea, there is something in the sea, calling me, I just can't make-it-out- I tripped over and...didn't stop. My eyes wide open I fell down into this great crater. I tried my best to stop my fall but the sides were dust and steep- I feel further into oblivion. I was rushing towards an unusual platform, an unusual flat of bright yellow- I flailed my arms stronger to try and catch myself again but it was futile.


   I looked into the yellow and saw myself, my reflection. It appeared to be a still pool that I was rushing into. I saw my fearful face, I knew I couldn't swim, not like this. My fate was written in the water, it was written twice.

There was another reflection, feint but there. A reflection of another. I looked up toward where it would be, and there, sure enough a figure stood, like a bird in a storm, moving along the opposite bank. I caught it clear in my sight as the liquid hit my legs.

   “JAMES!” he called me.



© 2013 David K


Author's Note

David K
This is probably the most un-complete Part I've written I struggled with it for a long time and rather then fester I moved on with the intention of returning to it later.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

415 Views
Added on March 13, 2013
Last Updated on March 13, 2013
Tags: Space, Love, Romance, Thriller, Action, Astronaut, Smiling, NASA


Author

David K
David K

Bristol, Avon, United Kingdom



About
21 year old Bristol UK based writer. Current projects include a story about a astronaut seeking redemption before his imminent death on a strange planet, as well as an two adventure stories. Mainly th.. more..

Writing
Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by David K


"It's Weird" "It's Weird"

A Poem by David K