You don't want to live forever

You don't want to live forever

A Story by David Nitter

You always said you wanted to live forever, right? Well, I think you got what you wanted. I mean look at us. Floating through space without aim. I guess that is how it always were, in a way. Should we go back to the beginning?


Remember that time that we eloped? After the gig in Vegas? Remember what we talked about? Off course, how could you not. 


You said you loved me, that if you could you would hold me forever. I told you that you could. I never thought we would be rich. I guess a small gig can turn into a big one. Jesus, it is hard to imagine that I ever owned a company, never mind a successful one. All that money, and what did we do with it? 


I will never forget the sunset on that first night. The earth did look beautiful. I do miss it sometimes. A part of me wished that we never followed through with our plan, that we died as the universe intended that we do. It was never our place to go against the universe. Yet, we did. 


Sometimes I find myself wondering, thinking about things I should not. What happened to our children, and to their children? What did people think about us? Did they buy the lie we sold them? I have tried to find where the Earth once were, but I guess since it is so long gone there is no use in it. We should have turned ourselves off when we had to leave Mars. We should have known. 


I miss the light. There is still some left, but I see it fleeting, drifting away. A year or a million, it is all the same to me now. Soon the light will be gone, and my last hope of finding you will be gone with it. 


How long has it even been since I left you? Or did you leave me? The machines inside of me is letting me down. Somehow I keep forgetting things. Sometimes I feel the only thing I can remember is your face, and the warmth of your touch. And that night we eloped. I think, when the light has left the universe, that it will keep me alive until the day my very atoms separate. Until then, I shall nurture it close to my heart. And sleep. I shall sleep, only for a moment. 


Hello? 


Are you there? Is there someone out there. Oh god, it is actually you. Do you see it? The last light of the universe. Time is a small thing, to us. I think it will be gone before long. There is a switch, right under my neck, and under yours. On three. At the end of time, and I get to spend it with you. I like that. 


One. 


The warmth of you. Of your face. I won’t forget. Never. 


Two. 


I love you. 


Three. 

© 2021 David Nitter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

26 Views
Added on April 11, 2021
Last Updated on April 11, 2021

Author

David Nitter
David Nitter

Alingsås, Sweden



About
I am a student of archaeology who happens to also enjoy writing a bit of fiction on the side. more..

Writing