Long Days in the Fields

Long Days in the Fields

A Chapter by Christy Hauck
"

Told from the perspectives of just two of the characters, this is where the story truly picks up and I'm still having fun coming up with how it's going to go.

"
 Playlist for Long Days in the Fields:
"Complicated" by Collide
"Getting Away with Murder" by Papa Roach
"To the Edge" by Lacuna Coil
"Hey Man Nice Shot" by Filter
"I Must be Dreaming" by Evenscence
"Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm
"Our Truth" by Lacuna Coil
"Black" by Collide
"Rhyme & Reason" by Dave Matthews Band
"Haunted" by Evenscence
"Angel's Punishment" by Lacuna Coil
"Too Bad" by Nickelback
"Beneath the Skin-Razor Edge Remix" by Collide
"Fire and Ice" by Enya
"Here Without You" by 3 Doors Down
"Soul on Fire" by HIM
"Son of a Preacher Man-Bat Remix" by Collide
"Had Enough" by Breaking Benjamin
 

 

 

From the Diary of Cormac Trent

 

Honestly, I don’t care about it all anymore. Life has gone on the same way for the past three decades and all I can think about is that I’m the last man on Earth with a brain. My own mother turned the rest of the world into what it is today. She wears the necklace to show what she has done around her neck in a way that shows that she does not care about what she did. I have asked her on many occasions if she is sorry for what she did, how she turned the planet into something out of the Devil’s nightmares, but she always says the same thing.

 

“Mortality turned against me. I turned against mortality’s children as revenge.”

 

I do not know what happened, only that the reason I have no father is part of it. Mother raised me in the world that she has created. She taught me how to hunt, kill without remorse, stay hidden in plain sight, set traps, read, write, swim, run, and everything that has kept me alive in her world. 

 

We live in a place that I have come to call “Cago” for that was all I found left on a sign closed to our home. Mother tells me that I have inheritated quite a bit from both her and my father. From her she says I have gotten her eyes and possible immortality. The fact that I look ten years older then her has always left suspicion in her voice, but it is something we both are trying to figure out. From my father she says I have gotten my hair, height, smile, and a slight sense of caution. “It is hard to look upon the face of my husband and see my eyes looking out at me”, she has said on more then one occasion.

 

The best part of my life has come from the hunts mother has taken me on. They are something of beauty and mother says that my ability to see the beauty in our hunts is something my father would have appreciated. Each hunt is different and takes place in so many different places. We have gone all over the world. I found a map of the world in a libr once and hung it on one wall of our home. For every place that we have hunted, I have cut out the location on the map. Yet we have hunted together for two decades, there is still plenty of the world left.

 

The day started when I had just picked up Mary Shelly’s The Last Man, one of my favorites, when my mother came bounding into the room like a fawn taking its first steps. She jumped onto my bed and slipped next to me quicker then my eyes could follow. That was one thing about her that irked me on more then a daily basis. She could move faster than mortals. “How about we go on a hunt today? We haven’t been on one for weeks and I’m itching to get out there.” She was very bouncy and all but running around the room. She only got like that when she hadn’t been on a hunt for a while and needed to get out and stab something.

 

I put the book down and wrapped an arm around her; she was so small compared to me. Mother looked up at my face and her eyes begged what her mouth refused to say, "Let me kill those who have never been worthy of life!" Thinking quickly, I realized that she was right and that mortal beings needed to be whipped off the planet, for they were nothing more than a plague.

 

"Alright, we'll go for a hunt." Before I could finish the sentence, she had ripped herself out of my arms, disappeared, and came back holding my sword and her daggers with her bow strapped on her back. She was practically bouncing on her toes, which made me mentally laugh. I held back the smile that wanted to creep up my face and slowly got off my bed and gently took the sword from her. She gave a giggle of delight and vanished into thin air. Rolling my eyes, I quickly followed her, hoping that she had left markers along her path so I could follow her.

 

From the Diary of Jack Vulcan

 

Summer

 

The Unnamed One has made life so difficult. It has been twenty-six years since her lover and husband both passed away. Many believe it was the plague that took them, but I believe differently. I don’t know why, but I believe I know what really happened. I just can’t remember any of it.

 

When she kills a family, she leaves a mark in the sky. I have a ring that bares the same mark and I have had it as long as I can remember. I carry it on a chain around my neck since it has become too small to fit on any of my fingers. I use it to ward off people; everyone fears the mark. Some people believe that I am in league with her since I carry her mark. I don’t know if I am or not.

 

The fields I work in grow smaller each year. I work in them with my mother and two younger sisters. I tend to do a lot more work than them since I’m more fit than them. I also find the time to think when I’m working. I wonder what my connection is to the Unnamed One.

 

Today was a day like every other. I woke up with my sisters on either side of me, both sprawled over me like I was nothing more than another blanket or pillow on the bed we have to share. Mother was laying at the foot of the bed curled about my feet and resting her head on one of my sister’s legs. It’s a miracle that she doesn’t have any problems with her body, given all the abuse she puts it through.

 

 



© 2008 Christy Hauck


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Okay now I am curious! How characters connect? How do these hunts work? Questions, questions, questions... enough to keep anyone on edge. I look forward to seeing how it progresses. ^^
~Jazlean

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
1 Review
Added on March 19, 2008
Last Updated on June 10, 2008


Author

Christy Hauck
Christy Hauck

Sun Prairie, WI



About
I tend to write Urban Fantasy, but that is because everytime I sit down to write anything but that, I always end up brainstorming some weird fictional thing that does not factor into the environment o.. more..

Writing