Ode To A Soldier

Ode To A Soldier

A Poem by Debra Stevens Edwards (debby)

Ode To A Soldier

 

 

Ode to the soldier who lays down his life,

leaving behind his childern and his wife.

 

to those of you who choose to take a stand.

Leaving loved ones behind to fight in the sand.

 

Ode to the man who see's his best friend die.

And quietly say's a prayer as he ask God why,

 

Somehow feeling guilty, because he did survive

longing to be home, back to his family life.

 

Ode to the soldier as he lays down to rest.

knowing it's futile, he tries to do his best.

 

Fighting, he's told, so his country stays free.

This man is a hero, at least he is to me...

 

©4-7-2007

Debra Stevens Edwards

 

 

© 2008 Debra Stevens Edwards (debby)


Author's Note

Debra Stevens Edwards (debby)
I may not support this war but I support our troops

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Agreed wholeheartedly, I can't manage to watch the news anymore as all we see is chaos over there - but thank you to those men and women who are there. Thank you to you for putting such loving words to their fight.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i can relate to this because one of my cousins went through all that.

its astonishing what happens to them when they go to iraq.

they come back as zombies.

all they do is sleep to try to forget what happened.

to this day he still doesent talk.

Posted 17 Years Ago


Being a veteran of war, I enjoyed the sentiment, even if we were far from heroes in an unjust war. By the same token, most of the soldiers in Iraq are National Guardsmen who never bargained for war outside our national borders either. For them, it's desertion or duty; those are their choices. Desertion means losing their national heritage of Mom and Apple Pie, so they stick with it, doing their duty, waiting to return to life. They didn't take a stand; they were shanghaied into another unjust war. But I really do appreciate your sentiment. They really need to know that people like you feel like this for them, because they have nothing there.

Now, for some constructive criticism, if you don't mind: "Somehow feeling guilty, because he did survive, longing to be home, back to his family life." did not flow as the other verses did. Besides the unfortunate grammatic construction, there is something odd in the 'family life' wording, since we expect a rhyme with the word 'survive,' which 'life' does not deliver. Perhaps "Somehow feeling guilty, because he survived, he longs to be home, his family life revived." Hey, just a thought. I know you can do better than that.

Glad to hear from you on these pages. As a mother of six daughters, do your best to keep them out of the National Guard. There are too many daughters and mothers serving time there.

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fighting, he's told, so his country stays free.
This man is a hero, at least he is to me...

I agree completely. A wonderful Tribute to the thousands of Men and Women who stand that line.

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Debby This is truly the best tribute to our sons and daughters out there fighting! This is the most beautiful piece......Excellent work!

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Debbie this is fantastic and speaks what a lot of Americans feel about our soldiers over there, You need to edit a few things though! Line 3 is a complete sentence and needs a capital at the beginning, Line 6 needs a ? mark, line 7 lower case the capital at the beginning, in the last grouping..put a commoa at the end of the first line. Hope this helps you, I just had a church friend get blown up with 1d2 other guys in Iraq. His wife got the call while we were at church, a total of 3 calls in all as they learned more. We held her and prayed. She collapsed in our arms saying Jon don't leave me, Jon don't leave me. Thank God he is alive, a wheel hit him in the head and he had 53 stitches and didn't know who anyone was for a few days. He soon will be out of the clinic and back on the batttle field. A very nice read, God bless Valentine

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 8, 2008
Last Updated on April 8, 2008

Author

Debra Stevens Edwards (debby)
Debra Stevens Edwards (debby)

Long Beach, CA



About
I am a single parent of six daughters. I write as a release of emotions I'm feeling. At times I write to entertain my girls or just because I have something to say. My goal is to publish a book of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..