Second Sight

Second Sight

A Story by Delmar Cooper

Second Sight 

 

               They’d stopped wearing the penguin suits before I came here.  You know what I mean, the habits.  That’s probably why it happened to her.  Who’d mug a nun?  If a mugger knew she was a nun, I mean.  They all look like gym teachers now, but come to think about it who’d mug a teacher?  They don’t make much more than nuns.  Believe me I know.  Guess the muggers don’t though.  They didn’t in Sister Angelica’s case.

               She has a great family.  That doesn’t sound right, she’s really got two great families, the one she was born with and the one she has now.  Anyway, both stood by her.  The security people found her in the airport parking deck with the front of her head bashed in.  Can’t figure why they call these guys “security.”  Lost and found would be more like it.  They did manage to get her to the hospital.

               It was nearly a year before we got her back.  Everyone was looking forward to it, she was a big favorite with the kids.  Even the boys in my woodshop class were excited about her homecoming, and these hellions carefully cultivate the “laid back” attitude.  She didn’t look so good when we finally got to see her at the reception.  She’d healed, but her face would never be the same.  That was only the obvious.

               We’d been told, but we weren’t prepared for the truth.  Mother Mary Clarence had spoken to me privately about it, she wanted the shop kids kept under control, tight control.  They have a reputation among the nuns, but they are basically good boys and I told the principal I was sure she could count on the boys not to tease her.

               When I saw her at the reception I was not quite as sure.  Sister Angelica wasn’t blind, but she couldn’t really see.  This is hard to explain.  She could read, she could get around the halls, she could do everything you or I can do except one.  There is a long medical term for it.  I was told the name, but I can never remember stuff like that.  She couldn’t recognize faces.  Even her mother, her real mother, had to introduce herself every time they saw each other.  I didn’t know how she was going to manage.  Imagine,  class after overcrowded class of kids, all dressed alike in those little uniforms, and her not able to tell one from another.  I got a clue at the reception.

               “Mr. Cohen!” She said as soon as I took her hand, and before Mother Mary Clarence could whisper my name.  “You smell just like a pine board.”   It made me proud of her and for some reason proud of myself.  Anyway, I felt sure again.

 

© 2014 Delmar Cooper


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Narrated so well. An easy going readable style you have Delmar. I have heard it said that when one of the senses goes, the others kick in and work harder. Maybe Sister Angelica's sense of smell went into overdrive when her eye sight declined. I liked the ending very much. Thank you.

Chris


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and for your comment. Sr. Angelica's malady indeed has a long medical name and o.. read more



Reviews

Both of them learning how to see/recognize each other again. What a beautiful story, really why indeed would anyone mug a Nun?

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and taking time to let me know.
Delmar, thank you for sharing. This is nicely written and overall easy to read. You're able to draw the reader in and demand immediate interest because of your writing style and quick construction of story telling. I like this piece of writing. If this story was greater in length, I might suggest varying your sentence length a bit more, perhaps mix in a few longer lines minus the commas.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Delmar Cooper

2 Years Ago

Well taken about the commas and variation in sentence complexity. But, since one of my notions was .. read more
Tony Dincau

2 Years Ago

No problem, just a thought for a longer piece. I'll look at more of your work
Narrated so well. An easy going readable style you have Delmar. I have heard it said that when one of the senses goes, the others kick in and work harder. Maybe Sister Angelica's sense of smell went into overdrive when her eye sight declined. I liked the ending very much. Thank you.

Chris


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and for your comment. Sr. Angelica's malady indeed has a long medical name and o.. read more
Great tale. I bet the kids in wood shop were proud of Sister Angelica and Mr. Cohen too.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

Maybe , maybe so...
This story had a plethora of great detail and was an easy read on the eyes. The narration from beginning to end never stuttered or sputtered. I really liked the ending with the connection of recognition. Pine scent will do that to people.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Really enjoyed reading this. You have a great way of building it up then tying it together at the finish.
Nice job Delmar.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

8 Years Ago

I am so glad to hear you liked it. Thank you for telling me so.
Matching Socks

8 Years Ago

You are welcome. I am happy to do so.
Yet another impressive story. Very enjoyable.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading.
That fifth paragraph... Wheew! Took my breath away !

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

8 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading and your gracious comment.
well I enjoyed this for all of it ... all of it ... you bought your characters to life ... especially the narrator ... and wow how so much happened in such a short space of words ... very well done indeed ... topped off with a great ending XX

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and your kind comment.
So is this mr. Cohen writing the story? And he lives in the forest by pine trees? Thank you for reviewing my story and second sight is an attractive title which is the one I chose at least. I thought it would be about intuition but I heard of the faces thing, but so she does see cohens face? So mother Mary is a liar? If she's the one who gave him bad info. I'm lost but it's not your fault although I thought I have good reading skills. So it could be you. My cat reminds me of me when I smile. So anyway wrong place to write about that.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

8 Years Ago

Yes it could be me, and it often is me, but this time it's you.
valerie7412

8 Years Ago

What's me?

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

874 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 18, 2014
Last Updated on July 18, 2014

Author

Delmar Cooper
Delmar Cooper

Trussville, AL



About
I write- a little. I don't write to reinvent the wheel, or discover fire. I just drag along from sentence to sentence hoping for a spark. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..